2019-2020 South Florida

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here’s what I think is going on:

For those who are CORE and haven’t heard anything post interview for a few months, I think you’re probably waitlisted. Judging from last year, they seem to do a lot of waitlisting after the first few months of interviewing. The reason it’s taking a long time to hear back is probably because they use snail mail for people who are waitlisted (think about it, this takes time as each applicants info needs to be enveloped and mailed, not to mention the recent holidays + move downtown). This also explains why there is so few people on here who have heard anything recently for CORE (they call for acceptances, hence why the person on here who interviewed in December for CORE received their decision). That’s just my $.02

That's fair, but having us (10/22) wait almost 16 weeks now with a proposed lead time of 4-6 weeks warranted at least a mass email explaining delays.
 
Hey everyone!
I know they're moving the classes to the downtown building. Does anyone know if most students drive to the new campus? How is the parking downtown, is it realistic to be able to live where the rent is cheaper and drive to class?

We're already in the new building! The class is pretty split between living downtown and further away (near main campus). The parking downtown is not the best, there is a garage that we're allowed to park in but the passes are fairly expensive and parking is not guaranteed. It is still realistic to live where rent is cheaper, but be prepared for longer commutes (especially in the morning, some of my friends who commute say they can drive for up to an hour from old campus).
 
We're already in the new building! The class is pretty split between living downtown and further away (near main campus). The parking downtown is not the best, there is a garage that we're allowed to park in but the passes are fairly expensive and parking is not guaranteed. It is still realistic to live where rent is cheaper, but be prepared for longer commutes (especially in the morning, some of my friends who commute say they can drive for up to an hour from old campus).
Thanks, this really has decided it for me to live downtown despite the rent hike the closer you get. Speaking of which, how did you get in touch with people at USF med to look for roommates before you moved in? Does the school create a FB page?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I’m an MS4 here and I just wanna give a shout out to the school.



When I was a pre-med I didn’t know what to ask about clinical rotations. A major plus of USF is there clinicals are excellent.



Also while the transition to the down town campus perhaps could’ve been smoother ( no srsly where are we suppose to park?!) the school has been very accommodating for certain personal circumstances that have come up for students (Another thing I didn’t know to ask as a premed)
 
So I’m an MS4 here and I just wanna give a shout out to the school.



When I was a pre-med I didn’t know what to ask about clinical rotations. A major plus of USF is there clinicals are excellent.



Also while the transition to the down town campus perhaps could’ve been smoother ( no srsly where are we suppose to park?!) the school has been very accommodating for certain personal circumstances that have come up for students (Another thing I didn’t know to ask as a premed)

Are you core or select?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
 
1) SELECT does not hinder your competitiveness for any of those, and if spun correctly, can be used to your advantage. My class matched an ENT, Plastics, Derm, Neurosurg, and a bunch of orthos. Noone applied for optho.
2) A bunch of CAMLS stuff, for sure. Now that everything is downtown, it will be very easy. When it was on main campus, it was a hassle because CAMLS is a half-hour away. Now it should be minutes.
4) Theoretically anything is possible. Bench in Tampa I imagine is easy because there's already an infrastructure. Allentown you would have to figure out how to get into Lehigh research?
5) Pros: It is everything a residency director wants in an applicant regarding leadership skills, QI/Research. You also get really close with your classmates. Cons: $$ if you don't happen to get a scholarship. It can also be hard to see the benefit of select early on when you are getting slaughtered in science classes. It is really good stuff, it just is hard to see the benefit when Step 1 is bearing down.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Thanks for the responses. With respect to item 3, how are the quality of the clinical rotations? How do select students do on their evals on rotations?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
 
So I’m an MS4 here and I just wanna give a shout out to the school.



When I was a pre-med I didn’t know what to ask about clinical rotations. A major plus of USF is there clinicals are excellent.



Also while the transition to the down town campus perhaps could’ve been smoother ( no srsly where are we suppose to park?!) the school has been very accommodating for certain personal circumstances that have come up for students (Another thing I didn’t know to ask as a premed)

Hey MS4, Im wondering if you can elaborate a little more on why you think USF's clinicals are excellent. What are some of the most important factors in comparing clinicals from one medical school to another?
 
Hey MS4, Im wondering if you can elaborate a little more on why you think USF's clinicals are excellent. What are some of the most important factors in comparing clinicals from one medical school to another?

That’s actually a really good question and ive been trying to think of how to explain to premeds how to ask about clinical rotations and I’ve been struggling. It’s general gestalt compared to my aways and talking to people on /r/medicalschool

USF offered more ownership of your patients vs the places I did two aways at. Both TGH and the Tampa VA (the two main sites) let medical students write notes that actually count. That might sound silly but it means that your work matters. On the one hand that might sound like unpaid labor. But on the other hand it means the patient is actually yours. You can save the resident/attending time if you do a decent job so your leash is longer.

The vast majority of attendings wanted to be academic attendings and do a fair amount of teaching. Vs some other places where they didn’t (I.E UCF’s HCAs )



but IDK it's even more than that. there is a a certain Je ne sais quoi
 
If we’re waitlisted, would we be notified? Has anyone been able to get through to admissions on the phone or by email?
Talked to them today, and Michelle said my letter has been out for some time and that it’s likely lost in the mail. Says irs been happening a lot
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are lectures mandatory, or are most lectures recorded? Can any current student comment on the extent of merit and need-based aid? It's a bit scary committing to a school without getting a financial aid package, which very well may be the case for USF.
 
I'm getting concerned with the lack of communication. I was accepted almost exactly 4 months ago and didn't get a letter so I have no idea what they want from me for matriculation.
 
I'm getting concerned with the lack of communication. I was accepted almost exactly 4 months ago and didn't get a letter so I have no idea what they want from me for matriculation.
Have you tried calling Michelle directly? I called her a couple of hours ago and she answered the phone right away.
 
I'm getting concerned with the lack of communication. I was accepted almost exactly 4 months ago and didn't get a letter so I have no idea what they want from me for matriculation.
4 months ago? My man most schools have a 2 week deadline to pay the deposit, with snail mail id imagine they might push it to 4 weeks at the most. You really have to get a hold of them
 
USF doesn’t require a deposit to hold your spot, I just had to sign something and mail it back to them to confirm my acceptance
I would still imagine there’s still a deadline you have to respond by... and I don’t care what y’all think about USF, their secondary is only $40 and you don’t need a deposit? Stop complainin y’all. They’re short staffed cuz they’re not robbin you of your hard earned money like other schools (the ones that charge $120 for a secondary and reject you the next day!)
 
Last edited:
Not that I’m aware of! Obviously if you haven’t received the acceptance packet you can’t send back your confirmation but I would still try to give them a call
I emailed them again last week then sent another today. I called three times today :shrug:
Time to step it up... I had been in somewhat regular contact until about christmas then they moved buildings and just fell off the map.
Also kinda suspect that I never got the acceptance call from the dean too :thinking:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I emailed them again last week then sent another today. I called three times today :shrug:
Time to step it up... I had been in somewhat regular contact until about christmas then they moved buildings and just fell off the map.
Also kinda suspect that I never got the acceptance call from the dean too :thinking:
When did you interview and when were you accepted? I didn’t get a call from the dean either
 
Does anyone know if USF offers merit aid at 2nd look or before April 30? If they do not I will be withdrawing asap so I would appreciate any insight into this.
 
Does anyone know if USF offers merit aid at 2nd look or before April 30? If they do not I will be withdrawing asap so I would appreciate any insight into this.

I'm trying to figure this out too. I remember someone telling me to be prepared to not receive any financial aid info until May, I don't remember who though. Might give admisisons a ring on Monday.
 
OK I got a big concern here!! Any students can chime in on this, or anyone with an idea???

Because think about it....the SELECT program is split conveniently in half, with 2 years in FL and 2 years PA. Makes sense with the old formatting, with STEP 1 mattering.

But now theres talk of only 1 year of pre-clinical coursework, STEP 1, then 2 years before STEP 2, and then apps. How in the WORLD is that going to work with the old SELECT structuring?

Honestly, SELECT might need to get radically changed if this is the case, or everyone moved into CORE o.0
 
OK I got a big concern here!! Any students can chime in on this, or anyone with an idea???

Because think about it....the SELECT program is split conveniently in half, with 2 years in FL and 2 years PA. Makes sense with the old formatting, with STEP 1 mattering.

But now theres talk of only 1 year of pre-clinical coursework, STEP 1, then 2 years before STEP 2, and then apps. How in the WORLD is that going to work with the old SELECT structuring?

Honestly, SELECT might need to get radically changed if this is the case, or everyone moved into CORE o.0
Who says USF is moving to 1 year of pre-clinical?
 
Who says USF is moving to 1 year of pre-clinical?
I'm not saying they are, but if they don't their students would be at a disadvantage maybe??
So I might think they would. Since to reiterate, STEP1 (and pre-clinical knowledge) basically stopped mattering to a large degree, passing it for MCOM students who on average get 517 on their MCAT like me will be an absolute cake walk and not worth extra time, but now STEP2 might need extra time, years even to keep up.

At worst, imagine having STEP2, the perhaps most important test of your life, right before you do your apps...that's what would happen to you at an inflexible program. Idk, im just worried and asking, the school just moved to a brand new campus so maybe a big change could easily happen, I'm just afraid old agreements could shut any changes down
 
I'm not saying they are, but if they don't their students would be at a disadvantage maybe??
So I might think they would. Since to reiterate, STEP1 (and pre-clinical knowledge) basically stopped mattering to a large degree, passing it for MCOM students who on average get 517 on their MCAT like me will be an absolute cake walk and not worth extra time, but now STEP2 might need extra time, years even to keep up.

At worst, imagine having STEP2, the perhaps most important test of your life, right before you do your apps...that's what would happen to you at an inflexible program. Idk, im just worried and asking, the school just moved to a brand new campus so maybe a big change could easily happen, I'm just afraid old agreements could shut any changes down

They’re not gonna change the curriculum in time for it to impact us, a change like that takes years. Yes, it is a fair point and a 2 year preclinical is probably no longer efficient. I’ve never been a fan of the 2 year preclinical and would likely choose a 1 year over 2 year. But that’s not an option for me as of now. I wouldn’t expect USF to change curriculum anytime soon.
 
well some schools seem more into academic medicine/research versus others are more into the community. Seems like this is the former but I generally like to make sure my understanding is correct
I am also curious as well and would like others input but from what I understand USF seems to be rising in status for research and in general rank. They also offer a lot of community service as well. Hope that helps
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So if it comes in May then we’ll be expected to CTE with no financial aid info... this 4/30 CTE deadline really bothers me. Very little chance to get off WLs since most WL movement doesn’t start until May