-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 South Florida
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Got my waitlist today after an 11/26 interview CORE
Wtf, that’s a crazy waiting period.Got my waitlist today after an 11/26 interview CORE
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Reformedforchrist
Full Member
Has anyone heard from 12/17 interviews?
12/10 still haven’tHas anyone heard from 12/17 interviews?
Has anyone heard from 12/17 interviews?
12/10 still haven’t
12/3 still haven't
So is there still hope for an II or no?
I received an interview february 25th for March 3rd, so there is still hope! They said their interview season will still be going for another 4-6 weeks.
USF has been really inconsistent with how long it takes them to get back to interviewees and it doesn't seem like wait time really correlates with your chances of getting in so I wouldn't worry too much. They took 15 weeks to finally get back to me meanwhile I have a friend who got an answer like 2 weeks after their interview. Both of us were waitlisted despite the huge difference in response time.Has anyone heard from 12/17 interviews?
Does USF reimburse for 2nd look travel? Flights into Tampa / surrounding area are crazy for that weekend so I am struggling. Seriously considering attending, so 2nd look is an important factor. Also wondering about the implications of booking and potentially having the weekend cancelled like a lot of other schools have for COVID-19
@Reformedforchrist i interviewed 12/17
@Reformedforchrist i interviewed 12/17
Did anyone who got off the waitlist write a letter of intent? I am considering it and could use advice or a proofreader
On their website, it says that LOI have no impact on admissions chance, but I’m wondering the same thing as you.Did anyone who got off the waitlist write a letter of intent? I am considering it and could use advice or a proofreader
Just got an II for SELECT but turned it down because I got into my dream school. Hopefully, it goes to someone still waiting on one!
OOS LM 75 .
OOS LM 75 .
Last edited:
I heard Dean Daniel speak at a pre-med conference and he made it seem like they definitely hold weight, but obviously don’t send LOI to multiple schools bc the Florida schools all communicate with each otherOn their website, it says that LOI have no impact on admissions chance, but I’m wondering the same thing as you.
That'd be nice, only way I could go.Does USF reimburse for 2nd look travel? Flights into Tampa / surrounding area are crazy for that weekend so I am struggling. Seriously considering attending, so 2nd look is an important factor. Also wondering about the implications of booking and potentially having the weekend cancelled like a lot of other schools have for COVID-19
@Reformedforchrist i interviewed 12/17
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II today for Select! 16th and 30th offered. Does anyone know if people from the past have gotten accepted from an interview this late. I accepted the position but I don't was to waste money on a flight ticket if they never take late interviews. I'm a Texas resident, so OOS. Also is the Select interview run differently than the normal MD interview?
goldenboy4
Full Member
II today for Select! 16th and 30th offered. Does anyone know if people from the past have gotten accepted from an interview this late. I accepted the position but I don't was to waste money on a flight ticket if they never take late interviews. I'm a Texas resident, so OOS. Also is the Select interview run differently than the normal MD interview?
Not sure whether they take people off the waitlist this late. But I know there is a good amount of waitlist movement in general. Also the Select interview, from my understanding, is not much different than the normal.
goldenboy4
Full Member
I heard Dean Daniel speak at a pre-med conference and he made it seem like they definitely hold weight, but obviously don’t send LOI to multiple schools bc the Florida schools all communicate with each other
Yeah and he said during interview day that to only send a letter of intent to one school, so I’m assuming it does hold weight at USF.
D
deleted1009711
Yeah and he said during interview day that to only send a letter of intent to one school, so I’m assuming it does hold weight at USF.
At my interview in October, admissions specifically said not to send anything UNLESS it was a Letter of Intent.
They were so specific about that, so I'm willing to bet LOI's not only hold weight but a lot of weight. But yeah, definitely don't shoot one unless you mean it, or it could bite you later.
Since they don't take any updates, should I refrain from including any new information in my LOI do you think?
D
deleted1009711
Since they don't take any updates, should I refrain from including any new information in my LOI do you think?
While I'm not totally sure, I think you'd be good with including updates as long as it's clearly an LOI from the start. The updates could be snuck in as just simply part of your argument for why you think you'd be a good fit for the school and why it's your top choice (and why, subtely, you should be their top choice lol). XD
goldenboy4
Full Member
I just noticed that I got a call + vague voicemail from their admissions office on Friday afternoon. I'll call back tomorrow morning, but I'm wondering what this is, because I didn't interview at USF. Do they typically call for interviews? Rejections??
most likely an interview request or missing information
I actually got called with a vague message about missing info but then they told me they were in fact offering an II at the same time.I just noticed that I got a call + vague voicemail from their admissions office on Friday afternoon. I'll call back tomorrow morning, but I'm wondering what this is, because I didn't interview at USF. Do they typically call for interviews? Rejections??
Note: if they say smthn like "we saw in your file that you didn't have xyz/need updated info on..." then ask "Oh so that means the committee has reviewed my file, have they made a decision?"
Obviously its good because they wouldn't follow up for more info if they had decided to reject you.
I got a call when I got my ii, not by email.I just noticed that I got a call + vague voicemail from their admissions office on Friday afternoon. I'll call back tomorrow morning, but I'm wondering what this is, because I didn't interview at USF. Do they typically call for interviews? Rejections??
Pulled the trigger on the LOI! I’ll keep you guys updated
Finally got my acceptance packet in the mail!
Noice!Finally got my acceptance packet in the mail!
Same here!Finally got my acceptance packet in the mail!
Reformedforchrist
Full Member
Did the school call you first?Same here!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They called me about 2-3 weeks before I got the packet in the mail.Did the school call you first?
ExtraApricity
New Member
Hey folks,
3 February 2020 SELECT interviewee here with another data point for you guys.
Got my waitlist letter today. Relieved in a sense because there’s at least a change to my previous waiting-for-a-response status, but bummed out because it just means more waiting as the CTE deadline looms.
Anyway, here’s hoping that previous posters are correct that there is indeed significant wait list movement.
3 February 2020 SELECT interviewee here with another data point for you guys.
Got my waitlist letter today. Relieved in a sense because there’s at least a change to my previous waiting-for-a-response status, but bummed out because it just means more waiting as the CTE deadline looms.
Anyway, here’s hoping that previous posters are correct that there is indeed significant wait list movement.
+1 (yesterday)
A school cannot hold you to CTE until after they have offered the FA package.I just received II via call for SELECT, but declined after reading about early CTE and late aid package 🙁
Wish it wasnt the case
Not true. I contacted AAMC, they said the school can do this if they choose to.A school cannot hold you to CTE until after they have offered the FA package.
Not true. I contacted AAMC, they said the school can do this if they choose to.
Just to clarify; what date is their fin aid package and what date is their CTE?
Just to clarify; what date is their fin aid package and what date is their CTE?
They said financial aid is scheduled to possibly come out in late April or more likely early May. Not entirely sure about the CTE, last year it was April 30th. Other current admitted students have told me they were told April 30th is this years CTE as well but I don't recall hearing that on my interview day, albeit, that was early in the cycle. So nobody knows for sure that students will have to CTE w/o financial aid, but it does seem that way. If financial aid comes out in late may then everyone will be able to review their offer before choosing to CTE.
Hey everybody, a current USF 1st year here. An official Facebook group for accepted students has been created titled "USF Morsani COM 2024" (Log into Facebook | Facebook). The Facebook group serves as a central hub to ask questions, interact with upperclassmen, share materials, find roommates, etc. so I recommend joining.
Any new IIs recently?
SteministUnderGrad
Full Member
March 17th interview for core canceled for virtual reschedule due to pandemic precautions.
Email stated “we have decided to cancel all future in-person interviews. Instead, we will be offering online interviews via Microsoft Teams. A member of our team with be contacting you to coordinate an interview time on the date of your scheduled interview.”
Email stated “we have decided to cancel all future in-person interviews. Instead, we will be offering online interviews via Microsoft Teams. A member of our team with be contacting you to coordinate an interview time on the date of your scheduled interview.”
Had an interview coming up and was just informed that it will now instead be completed online. Can anyone tell me more what I would’ve learned about the school, campus, curriculum, student camaraderie, etc on interview day now that I am unable to visit.
polarbearssi99
Full Member
Any news as to whether second look will be canceled?
Any news as to whether second look will be canceled?
Nothing official yet, but if I had to guess, it will be cancelled this week or next week. Sucks to be in this limbo if you need to get a plane ticket/housing for the weekend. USF has suspended in-person undergrad classes until at least April 5th
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
goldenboy4
Full Member
Had an interview coming up and was just informed that it will now instead be completed online. Can anyone tell me more what I would’ve learned about the school, campus, curriculum, student camaraderie, etc on interview day now that I am unable to visit.
well if i could decently sum up the hours of presentations and tours, I would say that USF is a great med school and has potential for being better in the years to come. Other than that, most of the information is on the website..
D
deleted1009711
Had an interview coming up and was just informed that it will now instead be completed online. Can anyone tell me more what I would’ve learned about the school, campus, curriculum, student camaraderie, etc on interview day now that I am unable to visit.
Yeah, I'd agree with what someone else said. It's a school that had problems in the past (definitely lower tier for an M.D) but now has been ambitiously climbing and working out all the kinks. It is hell bent on being top 30, thats why for example its been recruiting high MCAT scorers to accelerate that movement. Big infusions of money (most obvious is the huge new med school campus in downtown, but others as well like better faculty and education directors) mean it's fairly serious about it. I think being in downtown Tampa with this many backers means it's inevitably going to go up, other places won't be able to compete. How far is the question: will it stay at top 50? top 30? Maybe one day even top 20?? Who knows if they will make it that far because those schools are quite insular.
Nevertellmetheodds
Full Member
SELECT 2/3 interviewee waitlisted as well
Has anyone from December heard back? I still haven’t
Yeah, I'd agree with what someone else said. It's a school that had problems in the past (definitely lower tier for an M.D) but now has been ambitiously climbing and working out all the kinks. It is hell bent on being top 30, thats why for example its been recruiting high MCAT scorers to accelerate that movement. Big infusions of money (most obvious is the huge new med school campus in downtown, but others as well like better faculty and education directors) mean it's fairly serious about it. I think being in downtown Tampa with this many backers means it's inevitably going to go up, other places won't be able to compete. How far is the question: will it stay at top 50? top 30? Maybe one day even top 20?? Who knows if they will make it that far because those schools are quite insular.
I keep reading about how they recruit high MCAT scorers and I’ve just been sitting here with my 523 listening to crickets for months...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN