2019-2020 New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of New Mexico

Members don't see this ad.

Have any OOS folks received secondaries?

...has anybody received secondaries...?

Their ears must’ve been burning, got an acknowledgement of receipt just now.

Members don't see this ad :)
4th year at UNM SOM here. Feel free to ask questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I lived in New Mexico so I could apply here, haha.

Hey did anyone have trouble putting in their prerequisites in on the secondary... idk why but it won't let me put mine in?

Is anyone having challenges editing their secondary application on the portal?
Yeah, just call the admissions number on their site and explain any issue. I had a problem w inputting some info and they were super cool about it

What was your interview experience here like? Did you have to apply here multiple times (I've heard few people get in their first try?) Also, how long it take them to let you know you were accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your interview experience here like? Did you have to apply here multiple times (I've heard few people get in their first try?) Also, how long it take them to let you know you were accepted?

Two attendings interviewed me separately. The first one looked scary but I kept my composure as she asked me a lot about my weaknesses, which I explained well. She would smile between questions before she would proceed again to ask others. Towards the end, she told me something like, “I really loved your personal statement and I was really looking forward to meet you.” Apparently, she already knew my strengths and wanted to know more about my weaknesses so she could advocate for me in the discussions with the committee. On the second interview, we mostly talked about food and where I came from. I think he was just testing if I could easily get along with people and that the same person in the papers was similar in person. I prepared for a month for the interview, watching YouTube videos on how to interview well, read my statement a dozen times, read about national and local issues and formed my opinions on certain topics, etc. I also did a couple of mock interviews at the UNM undergrad.

I made sure that all parts of my application were the best they could. At the time, I only had a 505 on the MCAT (maybe they accepted me because my score is the same as the area code) so I needed the other parts of my application to shine. I worked on my personal statement for a month until I could no longer edit it, worked with a chief of cardiology for at least 5 years, had hundreds of hours of volunteering that span a few years, and had thousands of clinical hours. I only applied once but I didn’t rush applying until each part of my application were polished. There’s a myth that one has to apply a few times to get in. Most of us who got in were first time appliers. I got interviewed in December, and I got accepted in January. With rolling admissions, they’d accept you right away if your total points (MCAT/grades, LORs, interviews, etc.) surpass a certain threshold. You’d also get rejected right away if you don’t have enough points. If you’re in the middle, they’ll wait until the end and may add you on the waitlist.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you guys!

Hey Stevie could you post the secondary essay prompts? I can't find the ones for this year anywhere. Thanks

Not a problem:

Background and Diversity
At the UNM School of Medicine we are committed to building a dynamic, productive and positive learning environment in addition to promoting cross cultural and cross racial understanding among students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds. Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession. (2000 characters)

Interest and Suitability for a Career in Medicine
Mentorship and clinical experience are integral to developing an understanding of the challenges and rewards of being a physician. Thinking back to your own road to applying to medical school, what is a patient experience or mentorship moment that was most formative to your progression so far? Please share this experience and explain how it fits into your motivation for pursuing a career as a physician. (2000 characters)

Problem Solving
While providing healthcare as a physician is often a rewarding career, it is also a profession that entails addressing constant challenges. Imagine you are a physician at a local institution and you notice on 18 occasions in the past week, patients were not administered the correct dose of a medication. When looking into it further, you learned that 17/18 cases occurred right after a physician handoff (defined as the process of transferring role and responsibility for providing care from one physician to another). Given this scenario, what are the initial steps you and your institution might take to improve the situation? (2000 characters)

Public Health
Part of the goal of the UNM School of Medicine is to address the healthcare inequities that face New Mexico. Public health and medicine are inextricably connected to health outcomes. What is a non-clinical public health intervention that would impact health inequities in NM populations? (2000 characters)

Self-growth/Teamwork
Teamwork is integral to training and the career of a physician. This kind of work setting entails addressing constant challenges in task execution, communication etc. What is an issue you have encountered working on a team and how did you address and resolve this issue? (2000 characters)

Reactions: 1 users
Two attendings interviewed me separately. The first one looked scary but I kept my composure as she asked me a lot about my weaknesses, which I explained well. She would smile between questions before she would proceed again to ask others. Towards the end, she told me something like, “I really loved your personal statement and I was really looking forward to meet you.” Apparently, she already knew my strengths and wanted to know more about my weaknesses so she could advocate for me in the discussions with the committee. On the second interview, we mostly talked about food and where I came from. I think he was just testing if I could easily get along with people and that the same person in the papers was similar in person. I prepared for a month for the interview, watching YouTube videos on how to interview well, read my statement a dozen times, read about national and local issues and formed my opinions on certain topics, etc. I also did a couple of mock interviews at the UNM undergrad.

I made sure that all parts of my application were the best they could. At the time, I only had a 505 on the MCAT (maybe they accepted me because my score is the same as the area code) so I needed the other parts of my application to shine. I worked on my personal statement for a month until I could no longer edit it, worked with a chief of cardiology for at least 5 years, had hundreds of hours of volunteering that span a few years, and had thousands of clinical hours. I only applied once but I didn’t rush applying until each part of my application were polished. There’s a myth that one has to apply a few times to get in. Most of us who got in were first time appliers. I got interviewed in December, and I got accepted in January. With rolling admissions, they’d accept you right away if your total points (MCAT/grades, LORs, interviews, etc.) surpass a certain threshold. You’d also get rejected right away if you don’t have enough points. If you’re in the middle, they’ll wait until the end and may add you on the waitlist.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you guys!
Wow that is an awesome premed resume! I am curious to see how it shakes out for me. I feel that my main weakness is that I have not worked in a clinical setting; I've mainly done biomedical research. I have tons of experience working with people, and done lots of shadowing, but I have not been able to find any volunteer opportunities where I can work directly with patients. But.... I also know several medical students at UNM who got accepted their first try and had very little clinical experience so it's so hard to predict.

Wow that is an awesome premed resume! I am curious to see how it shakes out for me. I feel that my main weakness is that I have not worked in a clinical setting; I've mainly done biomedical research. I have tons of experience working with people, and done lots of shadowing, but I have not been able to find any volunteer opportunities where I can work directly with patients. But.... I also know several medical students at UNM who got accepted their first try and had very little clinical experience so it's so hard to predict.

There are places like Casa de Salud or something, where one could volunteer AND gain clinical experiences. Calling the med school can also help, as they know a few programs where students can gain volunteer/clinical experiences. Good luck!

There are a few hospice organizations in Albuquerque that are usually looking for volunteers. It may be worth seeking them out.

What has your clinical experience here been like? There isn't too much info on their website. I am hoping to get to work with immigrants and possibly practice medicine in the border region, and I was curious if they have any initiatives for that.

What has your clinical experience here been like? There isn't too much info on their website. I am hoping to get to work with immigrants and possibly practice medicine in the border region, and I was curious if they have any initiatives for that.

Clinical experience here has been great. During first year, we start to interact with standardized and real patients (other schools start this process in their third year). During third year, we students get to perform many procedures like paracentesis, closing up incisions, removing lipomas, etc. I’m involved with the Rural Urban and Underserved Program (UNM School of Medicine Rural and Urban Underserved Program :: | School of Medicine - Office of Education | The University of New Mexico), which would probably align with what you want to do. You get to pick the populations you want to work with. The whole state is pretty much your school - UNM is affiliated with hospitals/clinics in Taos, Raton, Alamogordo, Gallup, Shiprock, etc. For example, my clinic during first year was at the Healthcare for the Homeless. For third year, I went (for a week) to Alamogordo for surgery rotation and two weeks in Shiprock for gynecology. It’s no wonder UNM SOM has been consistently ranked as one of the top schools for rural medicine (UNM School of Medicine third nationally in rural medicine; top-20 in primary care), and it starts with student programs. There are other programs and various interest groups as well. For leadership and interprofessional work, there is also the Area Health Education Center (Area Health Education Center :: Family and Community Medicine | The University of New Mexico). If the current curriculum does not have what you’re looking for, you can create your own rotation. You can also start your own interest group.

Hope that helps!

Clinical experience here has been great. During first year, we start to interact with standardized and real patients (other schools start this process in their third year). During third year, we students get to perform many procedures like paracentesis, closing up incisions, removing lipomas, etc. I’m involved with the Rural Urban and Underserved Program (UNM School of Medicine Rural and Urban Underserved Program :: | School of Medicine - Office of Education | The University of New Mexico), which would probably align with what you want to do. You get to pick the populations you want to work with. The whole state is pretty much your school - UNM is affiliated with hospitals/clinics in Taos, Raton, Alamogordo, Gallup, Shiprock, etc. For example, my clinic during first year was at the Healthcare for the Homeless. For third year, I went (for a week) to Alamogordo for surgery rotation and two weeks in Shiprock for gynecology. It’s no wonder UNM SOM has been consistently ranked as one of the top schools for rural medicine (UNM School of Medicine third nationally in rural medicine; top-20 in primary care), and it starts with student programs. There are other programs and various interest groups as well. For leadership and interprofessional work, there is also the Area Health Education Center (Area Health Education Center :: Family and Community Medicine | The University of New Mexico). If the current curriculum does not have what you’re looking for, you can create your own rotation. You can also start your own interest group.

Hope that helps!
Thanks!! That helps so much!! Great to hear from students on their experiences.

II last Tuesday. Couldn’t be more excited to be back in Albuquerque. El Patio, querida, how I’ve missed you...

Late September. Not sure how big interview groups are, but as an OOS, I’m not trying to give myself away here.
I just interviewed here last Friday, and the group size was 7. However, they also had us split into a morning and afternoon group, so my afternoon group was only 3 people!

I just interviewed here last Friday, and the group size was 7. However, they also had us split into a morning and afternoon group, so my afternoon group was only 3 people!
Dang that's a small group. I interview next Wednesday and am super excited. My last interview has like 19 people in the group. Was it a relaxed interview or intense?

Dang that's a small group. I interview next Wednesday and am super excited. My last interview has like 19 people in the group. Was it a relaxed interview or intense?
I had one super relaxed and the other was incredibly tense! Everyone else that I talked to had 2 really relaxed interviews though so I think it was just the person I had.

I had one super relaxed and the other was incredibly tense! Everyone else that I talked to had 2 really relaxed interviews though so I think it was just the person I had.

Could you give some insight on the types of questions they asked you during your interviews (question is also for anyone who's already interviewed this cycle)?

Could you give some insight on the types of questions they asked you during your interviews (question is also for anyone who's already interviewed this cycle)?
I honestly don’t remember anything too specific except to just read through your application so that you could speak about anything in it! Also just be ready to take a side of you get an ethics/decision-making question, and stick with it! It doesn’t matter so much about whether your answer is right or wrong, but rather the logic behind it, and if you waiver or stick with it!

I'm a reapplicant and have an II here in a month. If you have questions, I can answer from last years experience and even talk about what they told me after taking the post-app workshop.

I'm a reapplicant and have an II here in a month. If you have questions, I can answer from last years experience and even talk about what they told me after taking the post-app workshop.

Hello, I have my interview at the UNM SOM next week on October 10th. I was curious to know how many questions they had for you within the 30min to 1hr time span of the interview? I'm guessing around maybe 15. I already have answers for some of the more standard questions like "why do you want to be a doctor?" "Tell me about yourself", "why our school", "strengths and weaknesses", as well as the secondary application questions. Can you recall any other questions you may have been asked last year?

I've waited about 3 years since I graduated from college in 2015 because I never felt like I had the experience or qualifications to be a competitive applicant until now. From what I've been reading, it seems many applicants have to try more than once. What was the advice they gave you during the post-app workshop?
thanks! Best of luck to you as well in your interview this year!

I don't really remember the quantity of questions because they kind of slipped them in fluidly throughout us just talking about personal statements and hobbies. However, If you have those generic and personal questions down, that's good. I would suggest really understanding healthcare issues in New Mexico, UNM has a hard time keeping graduates to stay in-state and so many of the questions are to look at your motivation to stay, and also what you understand about the state itself. My first interviewer was relaxed and felt more conversational, he asked me about my most influential experiences, and we talked about failures (questions about overcoming failures came in both interviews) and successes. My second interviewer felt really aggressive, and I think was monitoring my ability to stay calm, one thing that came out of left field was him asking my favorite subject in school, and then asking me some kind of difficult questions from that topic(chemistry). Ultimately they are more evaluating your interpersonal skills, communication, and how you think through things. The whole process is actually fun, and you shouldn't stress too much.

Post-app told me the reason I didn't get in was due to my grades, I needed to get my MCAT up and try and finish my undergrad strong. My interviewers rated me as a strong applicant, and I credit that to just being calm and communitive. Now I do know that if you are URM, it will be extremely beneficial as well.

It actually sounded like my interviewees were pretty intense, because I spoke with others who interviewed and they acted as if their experience was to see how normal you are, and ultimately just really friendly all and all.

Be confident with your answers and I believe you will be fine!

I know a lot of people who got in the first try, so you never know! good luck!

When they asked you guys about health issues, did you have the time to cover more than two? With naming the problem, explaining why you think its a problem, and then explaining possible prevention and intervention strategies? I have about 5 different health problems I will probably be comfortable talking about, I just don't think i'll have time to go over each one.

I am also a reapplicant (fourth time applying). I was fairly close to getting in last time (*very* frustrating, but very hopeful at the same time!). I am available for questions as well and am happy to help.

You’re a legend, why do you think you’ve been rejected? Just the academic side?

Also, on my interview, they asked what I thought was the number one issue in New Mexico and how I’d go about to fix it.

I’m a 4th year who got in the first time (previous post has my experiences and how I prepared). I’m now preparing for residency interviews. Here are some general advice on how to ace your med school interviews. First of all, tell yourself that out of ALL (maybe a couple of thousand) applicants, you are among the 250-300 students being interviewed. Work hard and prepare well in the next few days before your interview:

1. Know your application REALLY well - memorize the main gist of your essays. Why you wanna be a doc? What is your passion? How are you different from the rest of the applicants? Read your personal statement and secondary essays at least 10 times. Your interviewers may look mean when they ask about your weaknesses, but keep in mind that they just want to know more about you, so they can talk to the committee and explain your weaknesses. Figure out your weaknesses and come up with a great answer on why they’re weak, just in case they ask you about those things.

2. Watch this video: (part I) and also watch part II. This gives you an idea on how to answer questions well (especially sensitive topics), how to behave, how to prepare, etc. Take some notes on the major things and practice in your head several times.

3. Look at example questions on medical school interviews: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/typical-medical-school-interview-questions.1219639/. There is a link on SDN (Student Doctor Network) that provides example questions that are specific for UNM. You may be able to Google it. Because you’ve watched #2, practice answering these questions several times.

4. Read up on healthcare issues in NM and US. The NM DOH usually have a report every few years on statistics on infant mortality, substance abuse, poverty, etc. (probably like The State of Health in New Mexico). Don’t memorize the numbers, but be aware of the problems in NM and what are being done about them (for example, with substance abuse, there is the Prescription Monitoring Program). Also, find out what are the issues nationally (just Google something like “biggest healthcare issues” or something).

5. Schedule a mock interview (twice if you can) at the UNM Office of Career Services. They’ll be able to coach you and the practice will give you some confidence. They also have a list of similar questions from other medical schools.

6. Groom well (shave, do your nails, etc.). Wear suit and tie. Don’t wear a cologne (just shower that AM, so you don’t smell!).

7. Be confident enough that they could see you as their colleague, but not to the point of being arrogant/cocky.

Good luck!

I think it depends on the individual interviewer, but I recall when I was asked about health issues, they asked specifically about NM and I think they had asked what I thought were the 1-2 most important ones. I have been interviewed so many times, and at least at UNM, they’re typically very conversational, nice interviewers, and really not that stressful overall (although I certainly understand being anxious if this is your first interview). My best advice regarding interviews is to try to answer questions thoroughly, but not to ramble on (i.e. know when to stop talking, and don’t say things just because you think it’s what the interviewers want to hear). Feel free to PM me with any other questions. I’ve had a LOT of help along the way from doctors, med students (both past and present), and I’m happy to pay it forward.

One and only issue is my MCAT. I have a really high GPA and I’ve been plagued by that test the past few years. Last cycle I was on the alternate list #2 for the PrEP program, and had I gotten in, it would’ve guaranteed me admission for next year’s class. I guess there was not much movement on the alternate list unfortunately. Here’s to hoping this is my last time applying! Good luck to you as well.

Can you retake the MCAT? Or improve on the other parts of your app? Good luck!

One and only issue is my MCAT. I have a really high GPA and I’ve been plagued by that test the past few years. Last cycle I was on the alternate list #2 for the PrEP program, and had I gotten in, it would’ve guaranteed me admission for next year’s class. I guess there was not much movement on the alternate list unfortunately. Here’s to hoping this is my last time applying! Good luck to you as well.
[/QUOTE]

My guy, you have my respect, I had to retake the MCAT as well, which urked me because I knew several people who got in with much lower scores and GPA (especially since they said my academics was the only reason I didn't get in...) due to the fact they were URM... I retook it and did a little better but not enough that I feel confident. Honestly, are you not applying to other schools??? Last year I did the ED program, but this year I applied to everywhere.

If it comes down to you and me, I hope they take you, because honestly, youre more of a stud than I am.

Yeah I had to take the MCAT a few times. It has been the reason I have never applied until this year, but I just decided to say whatever! I did the best I could, and I'm really hoping the other parts of my application will make up for it.

Do you know if UNM accepts application updates? I have already interviewed but I’ve started a new job that I think would be big on my app.

What kind of job is it? Most of what they need to decide should already be in your submitted app. Many people have life changes AFTER they’ve submitted/interviewed, as well. But if you think it’s worth it, you can contact them to add that info.

What kind of job is it? Most of what they need to decide should already be in your submitted app. Many people have life changes AFTER they’ve submitted/interviewed, as well. But if you think it’s worth it, you can contact them to add that info.
Yes I felt my app was pretty complete, but I just wanted to update with them with my new clinical job. Some schools are very open that they do/do not accept application updates. But UNM doesn't have anything stated on their policy as far as I can tell. Thanks!

Accepted today! I am so ecstatic and in disbelief because I have wanted this for so long!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted today! I am so ecstatic and in disbelief because I have wanted this for so long!!!

With you being accepted, it got me thinking, does unm do rolling admissions? I have several other II ‘s and I know those schools do rolling, so what happens if I get admitted to one and have to make a pretty prompt decision... like can you message unm to have them speed it up for you?

With you being accepted, it got me thinking, does unm do rolling admissions? I have several other II ‘s and I know those schools do rolling, so what happens if I get admitted to one and have to make a pretty prompt decision... like can you message unm to have them speed it up for you?

At my interview they told us that a number of people would be admit in October, and the rest in March. I’m sure that those schools have something like UNM does, where nothing is due until next Spring to secure my spot so that you can finish your interviews and wait to hear back from others before you have to select one.

For those who interviewed on 9/24, I thought they told us the earliest we’d hear is November 15th, and then the rest in March.. or did I imagine that haha

For those who interviewed on 9/24, I thought they told us the earliest we’d hear is November 15th, and then the rest in March.. or did I imagine that haha

From what I found in past year forums, I understand that nov-dec is the 30% rolling admissions, and they will let applicants who scored above ~90 points get in. The other 70% will find out in March-April.

I guess I don't know how to feel … waiting for an email decision. It was a huge stress reliever the first few weeks after the interview. Like "yay" I finally was able to get my application in and go through the whole process .. but now I feel like I would just like to know before March. If I don't get in, I would like to know sooner than later so I can start preparing to reapply... whether it be studying for the MCAT again or finding new clinical experiences. I know everyone probably feels the same haha... I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing not to hear anything until March????