2020-2021 Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really? I didn’t get that email.
"Greetings,

Congratulations on your admission to the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix! We know there is a lot to consider when deciding where you will pursue your medical education. With that in mind, we would like to extend you an invitation to join us for a few unique opportunities that will help you stay engaged with the college over the next couple of months. Our aim with these events is to reconnect you with the College of Medicine - Phoenix and help you get a sense of what life would be like as a medical student here. We hope you will join us for one (or more!) of these programs."

And then there are like 5 or 6 events listed, including the Cardio/Hem lectures mentioned before. I think some of the events are also on the personalized applicant portal too though.
 
Last edited:
"Greetings,

Congratulations on your admission to the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix! We know there is a lot to consider when deciding where you will pursue your medical education. With that in mind, we would like to extend you an invitation to join us for a few unique opportunities that will help you stay engaged with the college over the next couple of months. Our aim with these events is to reconnect you with the College of Medicine - Phoenix and help you get a sense of what life would be like as a medical student here. We hope you will join us for one (or more!) of these programs."

And then there are like 5 or 6 events listed, including the Cardio/Hem lectures mentioned before. I think most of the events are also on the personalized applicant portal too though.
Thank you so much for this!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any advice for VITA? I just looked through the thread. So no personal questions about the school itself?
Very general interview questions. Honestly cannot remember mine because they were so unremarkable. Advice from an advisor who was on an adcom: have a story/anecdote for most of the AAMC core competencies and you won’t be surprised by the questions (good general interview advice tbh).
 
Any advice for VITA? I just looked through the thread. So no personal questions about the school itself?
Yes, no questions specific to UA Phoenix because your same VITA responses could be sent to multiple schools depending on how many VITA invites you receive. I found that some of the VITA questions were oddly specific, so it's good to have a lot of versatile anecdotes that can fit multiple different prompts. I would recommend practicing answering questions within the 3 minute time frame so you don't run out of time and have your answers get cut off. Good luck!!
 
Anyone know the post-II a rate for OOS students? I know for the Tucson campus it is v v low so curious if that’s the same for Phoenix
 
Anyone know the post-II a rate for OOS students? I know for the Tucson campus it is v v low so curious if that’s the same for Phoenix
I think all we can really do is speculate at this point since there is no data for UofA-PHX on TheDataKing's post-II acceptance rate google sheet. The current rate according to the admissions tracker is 30% for IS and 25% for OOS. Currently 121 students are accepted, and once students begin turning down offers, I would predict there would probably end up being a total of ~200-220 acceptances to fill the class of 120. I doubt there are too many interviews left as well, so once it is all said and down, I think it would probably be post-II rate of ~45-50% IS and 35-40% OOS. Again, total speculation.
 
Did anyone send in thank you notes? Not sure what the protocol would be bc there was no formal interview
I didn't since we didn't interview with an actual person! When I recently sent an email to the admissions office to ask a question, I just thanked the office as a whole for how helpful they've been and how well the VAVD was organized.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It’s all basically on this page:
I saw this page! Maybe I am missing something, but I do not see a comprehensive list of matches for past classes. I was looking for a list of all the students in the graduating class and where they matched! All I see there are student highlights and statistics.
 
I interviewed 2/8 and they said we would hear back March 15th. Any potential for hearing back sooner? I got accepted to another DO school that wants the $2000 deposit on March 12. I live in Phoenix, and I just hate paying $2000 and then finding out 3 days later I have an A at U of A, and took $2000 away from my family..... Should I call U of A admissions?
 
I interviewed 2/8 and they said we would hear back March 15th. Any potential for hearing back sooner? I got accepted to another DO school that wants the $2000 deposit on March 12. I live in Phoenix, and I just hate paying $2000 and then finding out 3 days later I have an A at U of A, and took $2000 away from my family..... Should I call U of A admissions?
I would try asking the DO school for an extension instead! I'm not sure calling admissions to release decisions, or your decision alone, earlier would be effective
 
I interviewed 2/8 and they said we would hear back March 15th. Any potential for hearing back sooner? I got accepted to another DO school that wants the $2000 deposit on March 12. I live in Phoenix, and I just hate paying $2000 and then finding out 3 days later I have an A at U of A, and took $2000 away from my family..... Should I call U of A admissions?
I’d contact the DO program instead and let them know you won’t be getting any $$ until the 15th or 16th (most premeds work 2-week paychecks right?) and kindly ask them to extend the deadline because you really like their school and would hate to lose the chance of attending such a great institution yada yada yada.
 
I would try asking the DO school for an extension instead! I'm not sure calling admissions to release decisions, or your decision alone, earlier would be effective
That's what I figured.
I’d contact the DO program instead and let them know you won’t be getting any $$ until the 15th or 16th (most premeds work 2-week paychecks right?) and kindly ask them to extend the deadline because you really like their school and would hate to lose the chance of attending such a great institution yada yada yada.
Thanks for the advice. Single mom and $2000 is a s*** ton of cheddar. Lol. Probably won't get into U of A w/my 510 MCAT anyway...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Non-refundable deposits are predatory and shouldn’t be allowed. Here’s hoping you get good news soon!!
Yeah I agree, it's a money grab imo. These schools know what they are doing.

Fellow interviewee asked about alternate options for affording the 2000 deposit at a do school I interviewed at, and the admissions person responded, "that's what credit cards are for."

Like what?!? No. That's not what they are for, 1. 2 that's not nice to say.
 
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long the VAVD usually is? I am attending the last one next Tuesday and just need to plan for it!
 
I just got the call as well!!!! First in state acceptance and I am probably going to go there. The school made me feel wanted although I am non-trad and that made me feel so special. Good luck to anyone waiting to get accepted.
Was your call recent? Wondering if they’re done for the day!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Phoenix has already accepted 121 students, which is more than its class size - does that mean the rest of the interview outcomes on the 15th are simply for the waitlist at best?
 
Phoenix has already accepted 121 students, which is more than its class size - does that mean the rest of the interview outcomes on the 15th are simply for the waitlist at best?
No. Every school accepts more than will end up matriculating. If you browse through just this thread, most accepted students have at least one other school they would have to choose between. Someone crunched the numbers and said they predicted UA will likely accept at least 200 students.
 
Phoenix has already accepted 121 students, which is more than its class size - does that mean the rest of the interview outcomes on the 15th are simply for the waitlist at best?
At vavd they said they will have increased class size this year to 120 or so.