2020-2021 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary Prompt:
What qualities do you feel you would bring that would help develop and foster the climate of the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine and further contribute to the Mission? (300 Words)

If you could strengthen one area of your application, what would it be and why? What have you already done or what do you plan to do to address it? (300 Words)

Optional Submission: Submitting content for the following portion of the Supplemental Application is optional. If you choose to create and submit a video according to the guidelines below, it becomes a part of your application and all evaluators will have access to the video.

You may provide us with a video, of no more than 2-minutes duration, to help us understand you better. To submit the video you created, please paste the valid YouTube video URL into the “Accept” box below. The video must be marked Public or Public Not Listed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For the prerequisites, it says that we must email the admission office a course description and syllabus for any writing intensive course we use to satisfy the english requirement that is not listed as english.

What's the best way to get a course syllabus for non-trads who have been out of schools for a year or more and where do we send it? Will they request the information if they deem it necessary?

I got an email this morning saying they have received my application and it's under review. They said select applicants will be invited to complete the secondary application. Anyone else get this email?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received email regarding receiving my application today and shortly after Received secondary

Could you post the questions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What qualities do you feel you would bring that would help develop and foster the climate of the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine and further contribute to the Mission? (300 Words)

If you could strengthen one area of your application, what would it be and why? What have you already done or what do you plan to do to address it? (300 Words)

Optional Submission: Submitting content for the following portion of the Supplemental Application is optional. If you choose to create and submit a video according to the guidelines below, it becomes a part of your application and all evaluators will have access to the video.

You may provide us with a video, of no more than 2-minutes duration, to help us understand you better. To submit the video you created, please paste the valid YouTube video URL into the “Accept” box below. The video must be marked Public or Public Not Listed.

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted my secondary today. Opted out of the optional video.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have an idea on how to approach the prompt that asks about weaknesses in our app? I feel like it's asking us to point out all of our app flaws...

Does anyone have an idea on how to approach the prompt that asks about weaknesses in our app? I feel like it's asking us to point out all of our app flaws...
I mean yeah it’s asking you to take responsibility for mistakes. They’re gonna know one way or another so it’s giving you a chance to do it first.

It asks for one area you’d like to strengthen, so I brainstormed several things I wished were stronger then selected the one I thought was most important to discuss

Members don't see this ad :)
Those that got the secondaries, are you choosing to do the video?

Hi everyone! I am a rising second year a BCOM. Feel free to message me with any questions you have!
I’ve had a couple people message me already about the optional video—it truly is optional. I didn’t submit one and got in and a lot of my friends didn’t submit one either. I really wanted to submit one when I was applying and kept holding off submitting the secondary until I could do it but never had a chance to do the video and I ended up turning in my secondary maybe a month or two after I received it I don’t recommend doing that. If you have the time and want to do it, go for it! But if you don’t have the time/don’t want to, it’s really not necessary. They mean it when it’s optional!

good luck to everyone this cycle! I look forward to answering as many questions as I can

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone! I am a rising second year a BCOM. Feel free to message me with any questions you have!
I’ve had a couple people message me already about the optional video—it truly is optional. I didn’t submit one and got in and a lot of my friends didn’t submit one either. I really wanted to submit one when I was applying and kept holding off submitting the secondary until I could do it but never had a chance to do the video and I ended up turning in my secondary maybe a month or two after I received it I don’t recommend doing that. If you have the time and want to do it, go for it! But if you don’t have the time/don’t want to, it’s really not necessary. They mean it when it’s optional!

good luck to everyone this cycle! I look forward to answering as many questions as I can

Could you mention what are a few things you really like about BCOM?

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my secondary 6/27. Good luck everyone! Really hoping to get an interview here.

Could you mention what are a few things you really like about BCOM?

I really like the environment at BCOM. Everyone is really supportive and wants to help bring you up, not down. I love the campus too—it’s so beautiful and I always can find a place to study, whether I want to be inside and outside.

I really like the environment at BCOM. Everyone is really supportive and wants to help bring you up, not down. I love the campus too—it’s so beautiful and I always can find a place to study, whether I want to be inside and outside.

Thank you! That’s great to hear. I visited Las Cruces recently and was blown away by the campus and surrounding area, it’s so beautiful!

Ugh, this is great to hear. I LOVE hearing this and only pray I can score an interview here.

I went to the booth they had when they visited my university and the lady gave me some New Mexico native spices. If I get an interview I'm going to dump that whole bag into my soup for good luck (The spices tasted good, and she said this is just a taste of the food I will see by the school).

• Haha
hi everyone,
If you get accepted how long do you have to accept the seat?

So I got an email from BCOM saying I didn't meet admissions requirements. I emailed to ask why, and they responded by saying that I did my undergrad at a Canadian institution and not a US one. I then proceeded to email them quoting their website which states they allow applicants with degrees from Canada. Wtf? Lol.

It's fine if they don't accept Canadians. But why have that on the website then? They really should change it as I wasted $100 for no reason. The website states "Transcripts submitted from institutions outside the United States of America (U.S.) or Canada must be evaluated for U.S. equivalence by one of the services listed below". Note that it includes Canada.

• Sad
So I got an email from BCOM saying I didn't meet admissions requirements. I emailed to ask why, and they responded by saying that I did my undergrad at a Canadian institution and not a US one. I then proceeded to email them quoting their website which states they allow applicants with degrees from Canada. Wtf? Lol.

It's fine if they don't accept Canadians. But why have that on the website then? They really should change it as I wasted $100 for no reason. The website states "Transcripts submitted from institutions outside the United States of America (U.S.) or Canada must be evaluated for U.S. equivalence by one of the services listed below". Note that it includes Canada.
For matters like that, I would advise calling>email. Perhaps call them and find out cause otherwise, you are just a donor to this med school.

For matters like that, I would advise calling>email. Perhaps call them and find out cause otherwise, you are just a donor to this med school.

Turns out they don't accept Canadians. Their site is super misleading. Oh well.

• Hmm
Turns out they don't accept Canadians. Their site is super misleading. Oh well.
I am sorry to hear. I guess I would advise you call up every school you apply to and make sure they are clear with accepting Canadians so you don't lose any money. Not sure how you can argue that application fee for this school though...

hi everyone,
If you get accepted how long do you have to accept the seat?
You are given a deadline in the acceptance letter. The deadline depends on when in the cycle you get accepted. The closer you get to the end of the cycle, the shorter or sooner the deadline (could range from 1 day to 1 month).

Do you have an American permanent residence (i.e. U.S. green card)?

I asked the question above ^^ because the website states - " Applicants will be asked to present proof of legal U.S. residency status. Applicants who are legal, permanent residents of the U.S. will be required to provide a copy of their permanent resident card prior to progressing in the admission process." https://bcomnm.org/admission-requirements/#1590700211011-792b326f-09d9

So I just submitted my secondary to BCOM today! Anyone have any idea how long it takes for them to get back with interviews/rejections?

So I just submitted my secondary to BCOM today! Anyone have any idea how long it takes for them to get back with interviews/rejections?
I am not sure, I submitted my secondary on 6/28 and still haven't heard anything.

It looks like last year they started going out in August according to the old SDN thread

You guys might need to be real patient for this one, they don't start until late July/August

Man that'll be a wait. I'm really nervous about this. This is one of my top choice schools

Anyone hear back after submitting their secondaries?

Anyone hear back after submitting their secondaries?

I emailed to see if they received my committee letter because it was uploaded to AACOMAS after I submitted my secondary. They said they had received it and my application is complete and in review. So it sounds like as long as they have all your materials then you’re in the review process

Just submitted my primary to BCOM today. I only waited this long (I submitted my other AACOMAS primaries in May) because I didn't realize they were sending out II's without a physician LOR -and I'm hopeful that the shadowing I have tentatively scheduled will work out. Any idea as to the turnaround time I should expect to get a secondary? Did everyone do the optional video thing?

Just submitted my primary to BCOM today. I only waited this long (I submitted my other AACOMAS primaries in May) because I didn't realize they were sending out II's without a physician LOR -and I'm hopeful that the shadowing I have tentatively scheduled will work out. Any idea as to the turnaround time I should expect to get a secondary? Did everyone do the optional video thing?

I had submitted my primary before 06/15 and got the secondary on 06/25. I would imagine it would take shorter now though but not 100% sure. I think they do an initial review before sending a secondary. I chose to do the video because I figured it couldn’t hurt to show them my face and a little bit more about me haha

I have seen a lot of people say the video is truly optional, but I decided to do it because I figured it couldn't hurt. I think the strongest part of my app is my EC's so I feel like the video would be most effective way to display that part of my app. I submitted my primary on 6/06, verified 6/10, BCOM started reviewing my primary on 6/23, offered secondary on 6/26, submitted on 6/28, and they viewed my video on 7/02.

I have seen a lot of people say the video is truly optional, but I decided to do it because I figured it couldn't hurt. I think the strongest part of my app is my EC's so I feel like the video would be most effective way to display that part of my app. I submitted my primary on 6/06, verified 6/10, BCOM started reviewing my primary on 6/23, offered secondary on 6/26, submitted on 6/28, and they viewed my video on 7/02.

I totally forgot if you did a youtube video you can see the amount of views. right now mine has 14 and Im wondering how many times the adcoms replayed my clownery

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I totally forgot if you did a youtube video you can see the amount of views. right now mine has 14 and Im wondering how many times the adcoms replayed my clownery
LOL, they're just looking at us all. I wish I could upload my outtakes of me swearing and cursing at myself for being a damn fool.

• Haha
Honestly I have so much anxiety when I do zoom meetings (but in person meetings I'm basically fine in), I might skip the video. Something about video just really doesn't click with me. But Idk I feel like I shine when I actually talk about my EC's and my story, so maybe I'll do it. Thanks for the input everyone!

Just submitted my secondary. Got an email saying they received my primary on 7/17 and received my secondary yesterday.

Got my secondary! Plan to submit it either tonight or tomorrow. Still SUPER undecided about the video though.