2021-2022 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got in. W00t w00t! Hands in the air, people!

Interviewed 3/3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
WL… hopefully waitlist movement is good.
Had really high hopes.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us that have been waitlisted, could it be that they like us but it was a bit late in the cycle that we interviewed? I was very excited for this school, I still am.

• Love
WL here as well. I believe this is why. Once the interview cycle ends late April, I anticipate more waitlist movement.
Thank you for responding. This was my last decision for this cycle and they all ended up in waitlist. Fingers crossed staying hopeful

• Love
I was also waitlisted after my 2/18 interview. Hoping we see some movement soon! Anyone know if the WL is ranked?
Good luck friends!

• Care
How long did they give you to put down a deposit? I’m waiting to hear back from two schools and I’m hoping it’s around the same time so if things go in my favor I don’t have to pay two down payments.
They gave me like 10 days I think, could have been 14. Can’t remember. Not sure how long it is now since it’s later in the cycle

For those of us that have been waitlisted, could it be that they like us but it was a bit late in the cycle that we interviewed? I was very excited for this school, I still am.
I totally agree! Especially since it took over 6 weeks for them to give us our decision, I think it’s possible that they have more seats filled right now than expected and are waiting for some movement.

is the waitlist based off stats or the order we interviewed in ?

is the waitlist based off stats or the order we interviewed in ?
Its holistic. So a combination of stats, PS, and interview will determine your rank on the WL. But they won't disclose where you sit on the WL.

Jesussss, almost all of yall got WL or R. I'm nervous af now, and I interviewed last week...

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
It is what it is, good luck on your decision though.

Last edited:
At my interview for BCOM I was told that students can take a portion of the exam in class together, like with other students. I was a little confused when I heard that, but thought it was interesting. Does this mean students can take tests together? Does anyone know anything about this or any current students who can explain this? This would definitely alleviate some stress as a medical student though ngl.

At my interview for BCOM I was told that students can take a portion of the exam in class together, like with other students. I was a little confused when I heard that, but thought it was interesting. Does this mean students can take tests together? Does anyone know anything about this or any current students who can explain this? This would definitely alleviate some stress as a medical student though ngl.
I also remember them talking about it. If I remember right they said it’s only after the initial test is taken and then they allow you to retake it as a group but it only counts as a little percentage of your grade

I also remember them talking about it. If I remember right they said it’s only after the initial test is taken and then they allow you to retake it as a group but it only counts as a little percentage of your grade

You're talking about the collaborative portion of the exam. so you take the exam by yourself and that will be the majority of your grade. afterwards, you and the group you are assigned to for the semester go thru the exam again (typically only half of the exam, at least that's what it was during my first year), and answer those questions as a group. It doesn't take that long and you get a few extra points from it, not many but some. and it's a way for you to review the questions and know which ones you got wrong, at least for that half of the exam. hope this clarifies things!

You're talking about the collaborative portion of the exam. so you take the exam by yourself and that will be the majority of your grade. afterwards, you and the group you are assigned to for the semester go thru the exam again (typically only half of the exam, at least that's what it was during my first year), and answer those questions as a group. It doesn't take that long and you get a few extra points from it, not many but some. and it's a way for you to review the questions and know which ones you got wrong, at least for that half of the exam. hope this clarifies things!
Oh gotcha, thanks for clarifying! Would you say that really helped you in general? Like would you say its a big factor to choose BCOM for that collaborative culture? I also was curious about the curriculum. Are you only taking three classes at a time but every few weeks study a new system (as one class), OMM, and then principles of clinical practice? Does that help relieve some stress since there's three main classes as opposed to like five at other medical schools?

I love @greenvsblack3 haha, that student was helpful to me when I was applying here back then. But while we await their answer, I'll put in my 2 cents.

The collaborative portion is helpful, but not crazy useful imo. We CANNOT take notes and bring them with us out of the room. I mainly use it to help my curiosity and gauge how badly I did. It is defo not a big factor for me personally to choose BCOM (I did not even know they had that when I applied), and as long as I can get answers, then idc. Plus, it is only half of all the questions on the test and sometimes you don't see the ones you really wanted to see.

If you are talking about if collab-ing with students in general is helpful- then yes, then we have clinical skills labs (2-person teams to work on each other or 8-person general groups to discuss cases sometimes), OMM labs (2-person groups to work on each other), and anatomy labs for first-years (was 6-person groups last I checked).

We have main lecture "blocks" for different body systems like Cardio, Neuro, GI etc. These last 4 to 6 weeks and then onto the next one. For most of these blocks for first-years, there are 1-3 anatomy labs per block where you answer questions on-site, and later get an online competency to complete as well (forget to do the online part and you could fail the block).

We have OMM lab and lecture throughout the year, with varying focuses on body parts/concepts per test that occasionally line up with main block lecture material. We have clinical skills throughout the year that loosely correlate to the current main lecture block at times as well.

Since I have never tried the 5-class thing you mentioned at other schools, I don't really know if having our 3 main classes help to relieve stress. Sometimes it bunches up and we have 2-3 main things to study for (OMM, clinical skills, main lecture) all packed in 1 week. But I would rather have 3 classes than 5 imo. So maybe yes it is less stressful?

Reactions: 2 users
Can current students share how likely you can get to do the rotation at your preferred hub site? For example, how likely one can get to rotate in Albuquerque, and among the 20 months total for rotation, how long do you get to stay in the city?
I appreciate any input you may have!

Oh gotcha, thanks for clarifying! Would you say that really helped you in general? Like would you say its a big factor to choose BCOM for that collaborative culture? I also was curious about the curriculum. Are you only taking three classes at a time but every few weeks study a new system (as one class), OMM, and then principles of clinical practice? Does that help relieve some stress since there's three main classes as opposed to like five at other medical schools?
I love @greenvsblack3 haha, that student was helpful to me when I was applying here back then. But while we await their answer, I'll put in my 2 cents.

The collaborative portion is helpful, but not crazy useful imo. We CANNOT take notes and bring them with us out of the room. I mainly use it to help my curiosity and gauge how badly I did. It is defo not a big factor for me personally to choose BCOM (I did not even know they had that when I applied), and as long as I can get answers, then idc. Plus, it is only half of all the questions on the test and sometimes you don't see the ones you really wanted to see.

If you are talking about if collab-ing with students in general is helpful- then yes, then we have clinical skills labs (2-person teams to work on each other or 8-person general groups to discuss cases sometimes), OMM labs (2-person groups to work on each other), and anatomy labs for first-years (was 6-person groups last I checked).

We have main lecture "blocks" for different body systems like Cardio, Neuro, GI etc. These last 4 to 6 weeks and then onto the next one. For most of these blocks for first-years, there are 1-3 anatomy labs per block where you answer questions on-site, and later get an online competency to complete as well (forget to do the online part and you could fail the block).

We have OMM lab and lecture throughout the year, with varying focuses on body parts/concepts per test that occasionally line up with main block lecture material. We have clinical skills throughout the year that loosely correlate to the current main lecture block at times as well.

Since I have never tried the 5-class thing you mentioned at other schools, I don't really know if having our 3 main classes help to relieve stress. Sometimes it bunches up and we have 2-3 main things to study for (OMM, clinical skills, main lecture) all packed in 1 week. But I would rather have 3 classes than 5 imo. So maybe yes it is less stressful?
aw thank you @Helpful Doc !! glad I was able to help you during your app cycle haha

also agree with everything they said. I would say that I think how we do exams could definitely be a pro. For example, majority (not all) of the exams were on Friday, but I know some other schools have exams on Mondays. So I think Friday exams is important so you can take the weekend to decompress a bit. Ive also heard how some schools will have exams in micro, path, pharm, anatomy, etc etc. We have all of these on each of the system exams rather than having multiple separate exams. To me that sounds way too stressful and just too much. I liked having exams with everything included in it because that's how it is on boards anyways. but don't get me wrong, med school is still stressful no matter where you go haha

Can current students share how likely you can get to do the rotation at your preferred hub site? For example, how likely one can get to rotate in Albuquerque, and among the 20 months total for rotation, how long do you get to stay in the city?
I appreciate any input you may have!
So I did get my first choice hub site. Each class is a bit different about where most people want to go. For my class, a lot of people had Tucson as their first choice, so that was the more popular site. I was able to get my first choice (not Tucson), whereas some of my friends who put Tucson as their 1st choice got their 2nd or 3rd. You only have to stay in that hub (or as the school now calls it, regional academic center) for third year. I'm already in the process of planning my 4th year rotations and they're all on the other side of the country as of right now and if everything goes according to plan, I'll only do 1 (maybe 2) rotations in my hub during 4th year (because I recruited a preceptor in a specialty I want to rotate in). I know several people who are not renewing their leases and are moving back home to do rotations 4th year. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
So I did get my first choice hub site. Each class is a bit different about where most people want to go. For my class, a lot of people had Tucson as their first choice, so that was the more popular site. I was able to get my first choice (not Tucson), whereas some of my friends who put Tucson as their 1st choice got their 2nd or 3rd. You only have to stay in that hub (or as the school now calls it, regional academic center) for third year. I'm already in the process of planning my 4th year rotations and they're all on the other side of the country as of right now and if everything goes according to plan, I'll only do 1 (maybe 2) rotations in my hub during 4th year (because I recruited a preceptor in a specialty I want to rotate in). I know several people who are not renewing their leases and are moving back home to do rotations 4th year. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the answer! I thought Albuquerque would generally be a popular site! If your fourth-year rotation is going to be at different places and on the other side of the country, does the school provide housing (or help with finding it)? I am in a process of making up my budget so I was figuring out how much time I could spend living at home, so should I expect to save rent for only the third year (if I were able to get my 1st choice academic center) and the fourth year will be short-term renting at very different locations?:D

Thank you for the answer! I thought Albuquerque would generally be a popular site! If your fourth-year rotation is going to be at different places and on the other side of the country, does the school provide housing (or help with finding it)? I am in a process of making up my budget so I was figuring out how much time I could spend living at home, so should I expect to save rent for only the third year (if I were able to get my 1st choice academic center) and the fourth year will be short-term renting at very different locations?:D
some of the auditions I have so far for next year provide housing. others dont, so for those I'll likely get an airbnb and do a month long rental or if I have a friend in the area, stay with them. and if I get any within an hour from home, im going to live at home with my parents then. most people end up finding rotations close to home if they have connections (I unfortunately do not, so I've been hunting rotations down like crazy).

and each class has a different popular site, so who knows, maybe the new class wants ABQ more haha

I forgot to send a thank you email after my interview that was a week ago! Do you think this will hurt my chances? I really clicked with the interviewers and hope that this won't look bad on me. I did make sure I said thank you and was appreciative through the interview though

I forgot to send a thank you email after my interview that was a week ago! Do you think this will hurt my chances? I really clicked with the interviewers and hope that this won't look bad on me. I did make sure I said thank you and was appreciative through the interview though
ehh, idk- I sent 1 each to my two interviewers and only one responded back. I really dont think it hurt.

I sent letters to both my interviewers with no response lol

Does anyone know any information about Burrell having a Current Accreditation Status: Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring?

Does anyone know any information about Burrell having a Current Accreditation Status: Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring?
From my understanding, Burrell was given that accreditation status because it was their first time going through the process. According to their page, they are going to be reviewed again in 2024 and are currently compliant with the different accreditation elements and will receive regular accreditation status in 2024.
Accreditation and Licensure

Reactions: 2 users
anyone have a rough estimate how many ppl were pulled off WL last year/ when does most movement started happening

Reactions: 4 users
  • “After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.”
AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines

A lot of decisions and R’s are coming out right now (I just got my WesternU R last night). Between now and mid May is likely the most movement. From what I recall, mid April was the end of Burrell’s interview cycle. Any remaining seats, I would guess will end up becoming available as people decide whether or not to pay their deposit (or relinquish their seat).
The Burrell College Class of 2026 Facebook group has 142 members right now (19 of which joined in the last week). Probably not all accepted are in the group and from what I can find the class size is around 160ish. They aren’t up to 200 yet, I think.

Not a lot of seats left is my guess, but crossing my fingers as I am sure many of you are WL gang 🫠
Don't lose hope! AMCAS applicants can hold on to their acceptances unil 4/30, and AACOMAS applicants until 5/15. So there could be quite a bit of movement in the next month as people decide which school they will attend :)

• Love
Has anyone heard back from the 04/12 interview date? I keep refreshing my email, it's been hard.

Has anyone heard back from the 04/12 interview date? I keep refreshing my email, it's been hard.
I still haven’t heard back from 3/31 interview, I think people have been hearing back closer to 5-6 weeks post interview

I still haven’t heard back from 3/31 interview, I think people have been hearing back closer to 5-6 weeks post interview
I interviewed 4/22, and they said I'd hear back in 2-3 weeks. I imagine this was the last interview date, but I don't know for sure, so hopefully they should have everything they need to start making decisions for anyone who hasn't heard back yet. They did mention there are still a few spots available, which was surprising because I thought I'd be interviewing for a waitlist position this late in the cycle!

I interviewed 4/22, and they said I'd hear back in 2-3 weeks. I imagine this was the last interview date, but I don't know for sure, so hopefully they should have everything they need to start making decisions for anyone who hasn't heard back yet. They did mention there are still a few spots available, which was surprising because I thought I'd be interviewing for a waitlist position this late in the cycle!
To my knowledge this week is the last week for interviews

WL just now. Not gonna lie, I'm surprised and pretty upset. I felt like my interview had gone great and I really loved the school!
Update: Was called tonight around 6pm CST and offered acceptance off of the WL! Never ever give up!!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Got waitlisted after 3/31 interview thought my interview went great but guess it’s better than an R

Accepted yesterday as well! I had essentially lost all hope for gaining admissions at this point. Don't lose hope!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Any waitlist movement here? Does anyone know if their WL is ranked? Thanks! Good luck to all!!

Anyone who interviewed week of April 4th get their decisions yet?