nevergonnagiveyouup
Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes I am in exactly the same position as you with regards to the waitlist position and OOS. Also wondering if UCF matches financial aid offers from other places because I want to send this letter of intent so badly, but UCFs OOS sticker price tuition is so high (almost double my state school with scholarship).
Not sure about the general consensus, but I believe that sending a LOI benefits those from very high socioeconomic backgrounds that can afford to attend a school irrespective of the cost. Unless there is a statement we can add to our LOI, sending one in basically says that “I’ll attend your school no matter how much I get charged.” Granted, most med school applicants are in the higher socioeconomic class regardless, but LOIs seem unfairly hinged towards the incredibly rich. Backing out from a LOI purely because of the significantly higher financial burden it’ll place on your family and yourself, but being penalized for it subsequently, probably hurts those from poorer, marginalized communities most. I think to send one in as an OOS student, according to what I’ve seen implied on this thread earlier, you either have to be 1) incredibly well off or 2) willing to take an additional 6 figures in loan debt over 4 years compared to in state schools.
Just a heads up, LOIs really don’t have that much effect on admissions anymore (if at all) for most schools. All it really lets them know is the likelihood that you will accept a seat when your position on the waitlist is reached for selection. I say likelihood because so many LOIs are broken every year. As far as getting “bumped” up the waitlist because of your LOI... very few schools still do this. Some schools only count things like LOI’s directly after your interview before the admissions committee meets to decide your fate. However, once on the waitlist most schools do not adjust positioning.
I don’t think UCF matches financial aid, and in fact they made a point of touching on that during our interview day. I’ve also never heard of a school giving someone a financial aid package pre-acceptance while on a waitlist.
Last edited: