2020-2021 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi @REL , with no more committee meetings happening, i was wondering if you could provide some clarification on how often the current accepted pool/# of withdraws are assessed to allow for waitlist movement. Is it just mostly looked at after PTE/CTE deadlines?
 
Hi @REL , with no more committee meetings happening, i was wondering if you could provide some clarification on how often the current accepted pool/# of withdraws are assessed to allow for waitlist movement. Is it just mostly looked at after PTE/CTE deadlines?
Right now we are in the "attrition" period. In our process we over-admit through the admissions cycle so now we awaiting withdrawals and will do no more accepts until we are down to below the 120. Once we get down to 119 we will replace, 1 for 1, as withdrawals occur. If a FL leaves, we will replace with a FL, if a non-FL leaves, we will replace likewise.

Some applicants have already begun their whittle-down process and we have had some WD's. That will gain momentum as we move through the April 15 and 30 deadlines of dropping to 3, then 1 acceptance. I encourge applicants to be kind to one-another and WD from programs ASAP to give others a chance at an acceptance as early as possible.
 
@REL Good morning, do you think the match list will be out soon? Just excited to see how UCF did!
Yesterday I posted the Match results, today I updated that same entry with all of the residency locations. I was very impressed once I saw the "where" of it all, hope you are as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are Second Look emails only sent out to admitted students @REL? I thought this was the case, but I got an email about it this morning at around 11:00 am and have not received any calls or portal changes. Thanks for always being so transparent 🙂
 
Are Second Look emails only sent out to admitted students @REL? I thought this was the case, but I got an email about it this morning at around 11:00 am and have not received any calls or portal changes. Thanks for always being so transparent 🙂
Sometimes that group is expanded to the upper areas of the upper 1/3. Since we always call to offer an acceptance you will be aware of any status changes from this point forward.
 
I also received the update email last night at 7:13 PM but I didn't get a reminder from Gmail for it so I didn't know about it till this morning.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for those who sent a letter of intent, did you include updates since being WL? it feels weird not to, but I also know they do not change your position on the WL so I don't know if it would just be annoying to include them
 
@REL - Are the OOS / IS waitlist divided or included as one list from this month’s update? For example, I am in the middle tier and OOS, is my ranking for 97 OOS students only or is the ranking from the total list? I have A at my state school but UCF is my top pick. Being in the middle tier my chances don’t look promising. With some kids holding spots until a week before school starts, I am wondering how binding the intent letter is. For example, If I send a letter and do not get into UCF until
July and have already moved to and have an apartment at my in state school location. Would I still be expected to go to UCF if notified that last minute? Trying to make the best decision with the cards I’ve been dealt - thanks so much
 
@REL - Are the OOS / IS waitlist divided or included as one list from this month’s update? For example, I am in the middle tier and OOS, is my ranking for 97 OOS students only or is the ranking from the total list? I have A at my state school but UCF is my top pick. Being in the middle tier my chances don’t look promising. With some kids holding spots until a week before school starts, I am wondering how binding the intent letter is. For example, If I send a letter and do not get into UCF until
July and have already moved to and have an apartment at my in state school location. Would I still be expected to go to UCF if notified that last minute? Trying to make the best decision with the cards I’ve been dealt - thanks so much
Can’t answer the other questions but I’m pretty sure the 97 is the number of OOS (so they’ve split the list) because it says “97 non-Florida applicant” and in previous updates, before the list was split, there were like 200+ people on the list
 
Last edited:
Hi can someone please explain what is the easiest way to secure FL residency. There is some information in the web but I found it very confusing. Thanks and Appreciate input on this!!
 
In most circumstances obtaining Florida residency for tuition purposes (important phrase) means that your Florida residency must be established for a minimum of 1 year prior to matriculation into a degree program. Proof of residency is often verified by a driver's license, voters registration, or auto registration in your name along with other backup documentation regarding apartment leases, job income etc. IF you begin a degree program as non-Florida, your residency will not be changed for degree purposes (tuition) until after the degree has been completed. If you happen to marry an already established Floridian we can change your tuition based on your spouse at the beginning of the next annual MD semester. You must petition for this change.

For the entering class of July 2021, you should have been in FL for the past year prior to the first day of matriculation. This should be standard procedure for all state MD programs in FL.
 
Last edited:
In most circumstances obtaining Florida residency for tuition purposes (important phrase) means that your Florida residency must be established for a minimum of 1 year prior to matriculation into a degree program. Proof of residency is often verified by a driver's license, voters registration, or auto registration in your name along with other backup documentation regarding apartment leases, job income etc. IF you begin a degree program as non-Florida, your residency will not be changed for degree purposes (tuition) until after the degree has been completed. If you happen to marry an already established Floridian we can change your tuition based on your spouse at the beginning of the next annual MD semester. You must petition for this change.

For the entering class of July 2021, you should have been in FL for the past year prior to the first day of matriculation. This should be standard procedure for all state MD programs in FL.
Many Thanks for your prompt response and detailed explanation. I was under the impression that one could change the residency status based on the condition you stated even after you are enrolled, it is just that the change would not be effective till the next school year. Example, if you start you med school as a non resident and during the first year you move to FL (with proof) then you could apply for a status change... Is this incorrect ? Thanks!
 
I'm sorry...but this post is just gold.
Absolutely love it too!! Before I sent it it kept changing resident to Bunny, have no clue why so tried to use different forms for residency/resident, etc. Looked good when I sent it, then BOOM...bunny....
 
Absolutely love it too!! Before I sent it it kept changing bunny to Bunny, have no clue why so tried to use different forms for bunny boot camp/bunny, etc. Looked good when I sent it, then BOOM...bunny....
See. it simply wont let me use the rez word....I have no idea where boot camp came in.....must be April Fools?? So I put in the name for what the first day in April is and it changed it to Easter! What a hoot!
 
Tmw you start reading the thread and you're like what even is a bunny boot camp? Good luck to future applicants checking up on this thread in the coming years 😂
 
Tmw you start reading the thread and you're like what even is a bunny boot camp? Good luck to future Peeps checking up on this thread in the coming years 😂
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure whatever algorithm they are using to change the posts will change them back when the party is over. The only reference to bunny boot camps and Peeps will be the ones you actually type out (like this one)!! I promise you that future Peeps will not find the site incomprehensible!!! 🙂
 
Once you begin a degree as a non Rez you will remain a non Rez for the duration for tuition purposes unless you marry a FL Rez. You can obtain FL Rez during your enrollment, but it will not count for "tuition purposes."
@REL - I assume this applies even if you have attended UG in FL (which does not qualify you to obtain rez status) as a dependent of OOS parents, and your parents move to FL, either within one year of matriculation or after, but not if you take a gap year in FL and support yourself before matriculation, correct?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@REL - I assume this applies even if you have attended UG in FL (which does not qualify you to obtain rez status) as a dependent of OOS parents, and your parents move to FL, either within one year of matriculation or after, but not if you take a gap year in FL and support yourself before matriculation, correct?
In general this is correct, if you did a BS at UCF you would have to take a year off to meet the FL residency one-year rule before starting a second degree. There are several technicalities and if you went directly from degree to degree without the break the chance of obtaining FL residency for tuition purposes are not good. You can petition a committee if your original request is denied at the college level, maybe the university committee will over-turn it but that is a costly decision if they dont.
 
An update to my post earlier in this thread




By way of update, we have been approached by our two recent/past clinical partners in Orlando in hopes of resuming a clinical training relationship. Those discussions have been put on hold due to our current crisis. I suspect some arrangements will be made and that a resumption of partnerships are likely in the future. My interpretation is that there is a good chance they will be back in place in a year or two. This makes great sense for everyone in the Central Florida region. As previously noted the administrators make the decisions, the docs have continued to support UCF in many ways. It is only a matter of time.......
Hi @REL , I was reading through last years forum and saw this post. I was wondering if there has been any resumption of discussions with these past clinical partners or if covid has still shifted focus away for the time being. Are there any other updates in this situation?
 
Hi @REL , I was reading through last years forum and saw this post. I was wondering if there has been any resumption of discussions with these past clinical partners or if covid has still shifted focus away for the time being. Are there any other updates in this situation?
I'm not @REL, but I think it's safe to assume there would have been an announcement if there was something to announce. They certainly received enough bad press when they lost the rotations!
 
Hi @REL , I was reading through last years forum and saw this post. I was wondering if there has been any resumption of discussions with these past clinical partners or if covid has still shifted focus away for the time being. Are there any other updates in this situation?
We are still in idle due to the clinical entities are still focused on Covid. We were disappointed when they made their decisions and we always left the door wide open for them to return to the partnership. Both entities signaled a desire to return just prior to Covid and to my knowledge still are interested once more healthcare normalization occurs. I dont think that we are too far away from a reduction in Covid that would allow for the beginnings of a resurrection of the partnerships. Once this happens it shouldnt take too much time since the process was already established.

The very strong matches that we continue to have signals that we are fine without them, but we surely would absolutely love them to rejoin us for the betterment of the people of Orlando.
 
Ok @REL this is the silliest and most useless question I’ll ever ask, but- these Patagonia fleeces with the school logo on them that a lot of Florida school med students receive... does UCF offer something like this? I know they’re all the rage right now and more status symbol that utility, but just curious! [emoji102]
 
Ok @REL this is the silliest and most useless question I’ll ever ask, but- these Patagonia fleeces with the school logo on them that a lot of Florida school med students receive... does UCF offer something like this? I know they’re all the rage right now and more status symbol that utility, but just curious! [emoji102]
LOL current M2 here, trust me we have been trying to get these for years and unfortunately it's not an option. There are issues with copyrights on the school logo's and UCF athletics department from what we were told which sucks but we do have other forms of apparel in the form of hoodies, shirts, polos, tank tops, etc. There was a "patagonia-like" jacket sale but I did not purchase one
 
LOL current M2 here, trust me we have been trying to get these for years and unfortunately it's not an option. There are issues with copyrights on the school logo's and UCF athletics department from what we were told which sucks but we do have other forms of apparel in the form of hoodies, shirts, polos, tank tops, etc. There was a "patagonia-like" jacket sale but I did not purchase one
WTF? Seriously? The logo doesn't belong to the university, and the medical school doesn't have free use of it, being part of the university and all?

That can't be right!!! How did the logo find its way onto the medical center building? Or the med school itself?? Did the athletic director have to sign off on that? 🙂 Sounds to me a little like the tail wagging the dog -- the teams represent the school, not the other way around!!!

I can't believe the administration would give you a license to make whatever apparel you want, especially if proceeds are put to good use at the school.
 
WTF? Seriously? The logo doesn't belong to the university, and the medical school doesn't have free use of it, being part of the university and all?

That can't be right!!! How did the logo find its way onto the medical center building? Or the med school itself?? Did the athletic director have to sign off on that? 🙂 Sounds to me a little like the tail wagging the dog -- the teams represent the school, not the other way around!!!

I can't believe the administration would give you a license to make whatever apparel you want, especially if proceeds are put to good use at the school.
We have other clothing with UCF logos on them and the COM logo on them, its just something about patagonia and our logo that we can't seem to work something out with administration.
 
We have other clothing with UCF logos on them and the COM logo on them, its just something about patagonia and our logo that we can't seem to work something out with administration.
Okay -- I'm certainly no lawyer, but maybe Patagonia has an exclusive with the athletic department. If one of you guys were REALLY motivated, it might be worth a call to Patagonia and/or the athletic department to see if something couldn't be worked out, seeing as how you won't be competing with them for sales and how you're all part of the same family. Either that, or just get the Lands' End knock-off. 😎
 
Okay -- I'm certainly no lawyer, but maybe Patagonia has an exclusive with the athletic department. If one of you guys were REALLY motivated, it might be worth a call to Patagonia and/or the athletic department to see if something couldn't be worked out, seeing as how you won't be competing with them for sales and how you're all part of the same family. Either that, or just get the Lands' End knock-off. 😎
I'm with you on this one KnightDoc. If there's a will, there's a way.

Patagonia might not be willing to stitch a UCF logo onto their jackets, but nothing is stopping an enterprising individual or club from buying a batch of Patagonia's and getting the logo placed through some 3rd party embroider. It sounds like there's high demand for these jackets and it would be a big hit on campus if only someone would take action.
 
I'm with you on this one KnightDoc. If there's a will, there's a way.

Patagonia might not be willing to stitch a UCF logo onto their jackets, but nothing is stopping an enterprising individual or club from buying a batch of Patagonia's and getting the logo placed through some 3rd party embroider. It sounds like there's high demand for these jackets and it would be a big hit on campus if only someone would take action.
Yup! And, I'll go a step further. If the art work makes specific reference to the med school, and if the jackets aren't made available to the general public, I can't believe the athletic department or Patagonia wouldn't be willing to work with the med school on this. I think it's just a matter of getting the right person to make a call to the right person on the other end. At the end of the day, it's all UCF, so this really shouldn't be a huge problem.! 🙂
 
I'm with you on this one KnightDoc. If there's a will, there's a way.

Patagonia might not be willing to stitch a UCF logo onto their jackets, but nothing is stopping an enterprising individual or club from buying a batch of Patagonia's and getting the logo placed through some 3rd party embroider. It sounds like there's high demand for these jackets and it would be a big hit on campus if only someone would take action.

This. Most of the ones I’ve seen from other schools don’t necessarily have their official school or team logo. Just a simple “University of Eastern Florida” a line and “College of medicine” below
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@REL I am in the middle tier / OOS, is my ranking pulled from the 97 OOS students only - so I would be in the 65-32 group pulled ? I have an A at my state school but UCF is my top pick. Being in the middle tier my chances don’t look promising. With some kids holding spots until a week before school starts, I am wondering how binding the intent letter is if accepted July 20th. For example, If I send an intent letter because UCF is my top choice but you do not get into UCF until the end of July and have already moved to and have an apartment/lease at my in state school. Is it still frowned upon & turned over to said school if you are notified that last minute? Or can you rescind your intent letter by July if you have to make alternative plans ? Trying to make the best decision with the cards I’ve been dealt - thanks so much
 
@REL I am in the middle tier / OOS, is my ranking pulled from the 97 OOS students only - so I would be in the 65-32 group pulled ? I have an A at my state school but UCF is my top pick. Being in the middle tier my chances don’t look promising. With some kids holding spots until a week before school starts, I am wondering how binding the intent letter is if accepted July 20th. For example, If I send an intent letter because UCF is my top choice but you do not get into UCF until the end of July and have already moved to and have an apartment/lease at my in state school. Is it still frowned upon & turned over to said school if you are notified that last minute? Or can you rescind your intent letter by July if you have to make alternative plans ? Trying to make the best decision with the cards I’ve been dealt - thanks so much
Yes I am in exactly the same position as you with regards to the waitlist position and OOS. Also wondering if UCF matches financial aid offers from other places because I want to send this letter of intent so badly, but UCFs OOS sticker price tuition is so high (almost double my state school with scholarship).

Not sure about the general consensus, but I believe that sending a LOI benefits those from very high socioeconomic backgrounds that can afford to attend a school irrespective of the cost. Unless there is a statement we can add to our LOI, sending one in basically says that “I’ll attend your school no matter how much I get charged.” Granted, most med school applicants are in the higher socioeconomic class regardless, but LOIs seem unfairly hinged towards the incredibly rich. Backing out from a LOI purely because of the significantly higher financial burden it’ll place on your family and yourself, but being penalized for it subsequently, probably hurts those from poorer, marginalized communities most. I think to send one in as an OOS student, according to what I’ve seen implied on this thread earlier, you either have to be 1) incredibly well off or 2) willing to take an additional 6 figures in loan debt over 4 years compared to in state schools.
 
Wait what lol? Not sure how u tied a LOI to SES...Also an LOI probably won'r bump up the WL given it's ranked
They gave a full explanation of how they are tied lol. The ability of some to commit to a more expensive school with no knowledge of the financial aid package they’ll receive is privileged position in many instances. Agreed that for UCF it probably has very little weight besides maybe the very few last people taken off the WL.