You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Columbia VP&S
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted1069450
At this point is anyone who didn't apply bassett still waiting to hear?
MDAesthetic
Full Member
have all decisions gone out? I still haven't heard back
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Post II R
RIP
RIP
anxiousterrapin
Full Member
Does anyone know how things look for us on the WL moving forward? The website says they start consdiering the WL in May but the message in the portal made it seem like it was more immediate?
How do we accept being on the WL? Or are we just automatically on it? Wording of the letter is weird
aurorapremed
Full Member
under the decision there's a place for you to give your responseHow do we accept being on the WL? Or are we just automatically on it? Wording of the letter is weird
Oh I'm just an idiot lol, don't mind meunder the decision there's a place for you to give your response
Waitlisted. Congrats to everyone accepted!
hopefulmedstudent2021
Full Member
How much waitlist movement does Columbia typically have, and does it usually not happen until may?
depaysement
Full Member
+1Waitlisted! Does anyone have any stats regarding waitlist movement?
I’ve heard movement has decreased in the last couple of years since they began their debt-free policy, which makes sense.Waitlisted! Does anyone have any stats regarding waitlist movement?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else still waiting?
Waitlisted for Bassett and the regular track. Seems like there are a lot of waitlisters on here, so I don't expect many of us to actually get an A.
+1Waitlisted for Bassett and the regular track. Seems like there are a lot of waitlisters on here, so I don't expect many of us to actually get an A.
ducks_are _the best
Full Member
Does anyone know if they call/give out any merit scholarships? or when we should expect to hear back from FInAid?
WhiteMage79
Full Member
+1Does anyone know if they call/give out any merit scholarships? or when we should expect to hear back from FInAid?
They only give it out with the financial aid offer
Edit: They do give merit scholarships!
pista_kulfi
Full Member
Do you know when the merit scholarships are given out ?They only give it out with the financial aid offer
Edit: They do give merit scholarships!
I got it with my financial aid package, like first week of April.Do you know when the merit scholarships are given out ?
^ it’s rare. But the aid in general is great.
anxiouspremed123
Full Member
not that it matters- but is VP&S considered a "T5" school?
ducks_are _the best
Full Member
I got it with my financial aid package, like first week of April.
^ it’s rare. But the aid in general is great.
Its rare not like Upenn with the generosity.
Do they match fin aid with other schools? When do these scholarships go out?
harry18253
New Member
Financial aid package came in the first week of April last year. Unsure of matching (perhaps they do it under the table - can’t hurt to bring it up) but personally got much more scholarship from Columbia than any other school so wasn’t an issue for me. Financial aid at VP&S is stellar.Do they match fin aid with other schools? When do these scholarships go out?
Have you all received the financial aid email yet with the Net ID?
They not only matched but beat all my other offers.Do they match fin aid with other schools? When do these scholarships go out?
spirochetez
New Member
nopeHave you all received the financial aid email yet with the Net ID?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ducks_are _the best
Full Member
Can I PM youThey not only matched but beat all my other offers.
kind of late but was accepted here yesterday!! love this school
One of my faculty interviewers just called to congratulate me. Very warm and encouraging -- good insight into institutional culture! 🙂
anxiousterrapin
Full Member
Rankings are not the end all be all. But to answer, no. The other schools that are currently ranked number 6 with Columbia (UCSF, WashU, UCLA) have all cracked the Top 5 at one point in time, but Columbia has only peaked at #6. There's a thread with historical usnews rankings that confirms this. It isn't even the "best" school in new york now with NYU at #4. Sorrynot that it matters- but is VP&S considered a "T5" school?
D
deleted1065184
When did UCLA crack the top 5? UCSF and WashU have been in the top 5 for most of their existence on the list since it started, but when did UCLA crack it?Rankings are not the end all be all. But to answer, no. The other schools that are currently ranked number 6 with Columbia (UCSF, WashU, UCLA) have all cracked the Top 5 at one point in time, but Columbia has only peaked at #6. There's a thread with historical usnews rankings that confirms this. It isn't even the "best" school in new york now with NYU at #4. Sorry
Edit: Also, just found a link going back to 2000. Columbia cracked the top 5 in 2001. Yale cracked it a couple of times too. No sign of UCLA, though.
Are financial aid packages for the 4 years, or do student need to re-apply each year?Financial aid package came in the first week of April last year. Unsure of matching (perhaps they do it under the table - can’t hurt to bring it up) but personally got much more scholarship from Columbia than any other school so wasn’t an issue for me. Financial aid at VP&S is stellar.
harry18253
New Member
Reapply each year.Are financial aid packages for the 4 years, or do student need to re-apply each year?
They never consider value of primary family home or family retirement funds, so it ends up being pretty consistent unless a big change happens in you/your family's finances. Also I believe family income <$125k you qualify for full need-based aid. Personally my financial situation is only getting "worse" each year so I anticipate getting more need-based aid as I take out more loans to cover what I don't get in scholarship.
When did UCLA crack the top 5? UCSF and WashU have been in the top 5 for most of their existence on the list since it started, but when did UCLA crack it?
Edit: Also, just found a link going back to 2000. Columbia cracked the top 5 in 2001. Yale cracked it a couple of times too. No sign of UCLA, though.
Do keep in mind that the only people who care abotu USN&WR are sterry eyed pre-meds and medical school Deans.
Ask any five people what are the top schools 5 and you'll get six different answers. Congrats on the accept!
D
deleted1065184
This is very true, and thank you!Do keep in mind that the only people who care abotu USN&WR are sterry eyed pre-meds and medical school Deans.
Ask any five people what are the top schools 5 and you'll get six different answers. Congrats on the accept!
No drug screen lol. Only before clinical yearBeen looking into the BGC and drug screening policies for different schools and I’ve found nothing for Columbia.
Do they just not drug screen? Kind of hard to believe from an Ivy.
If a current student could comment it’d be greatly appreciated!
WhiteMage79
Full Member
Have any accepted students still NOT received the NetPartner login info for financial aid? I still never got one....
Oh I'm sorry 🙁 I received the email on Sunday 3/7. Maybe check your spam? Also headsup the password they provided in the email didn't work for me so I just did the "forgot your password" thing to create a new one.Have any accepted students still NOT received the NetPartner login info for financial aid? I still never got one....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh I'm sorry 🙁 I received the email on Sunday 3/7. Maybe check your spam? Also headsup the password they provided in the email didn't work for me so I just did the "forgot your password" thing to create a new one.
Oh, interesting. I thought that only happened to me because I’m a current Columbia student and already had one (though I’d forgotten it...).
yeah weird lol I'm not a Columbia student or alum though so idk..but for anyone who hasn't received it I'd email the financial aid officeOh, interesting. I thought that only happened to me because I’m a current Columbia student and already had one (though I’d forgotten it...).
WhiteMage79
Full Member
Thanks everyone! I'll contact FA and figure this out haha.
antibody123
Full Member
i think the password might be mm/dd/yyyy format instead! also do you know when we can expect to hear back about aid?
futuredoctor9625
Full Member
Did the NetPartner link not work for anyone else? I’m getting an error message