2020-2021 Florida International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Florida International University

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I know it's early, but I just wanted to hop on here and offer any assistance to those applying to HWCOM this year. I'm an incoming M1 here next month, so I just went through this process last year. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out. Best of luck this cycle! It's grueling and intimidating but so so so worth it in the end.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! I know it's early, but I just wanted to hop on here and offer any assistance to those applying to HWCOM this year. I'm an incoming M1 here next month, so I just went through this process last year. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out. Best of luck this cycle! It's grueling and intimidating but so so so worth it in the end.
Hi! I'm wondering if they give any preference (that you know of) to students in the area. Could you speak to that? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

any advice for the secondaries? I am currently prewriting responses based on last year's questions. Thanks!!

Hi! I'm wondering if they give any preference (that you know of) to students in the area. Could you speak to that? Thanks!
Sorry for the delay! Since FIU is a public school, I know preference is given to IS students. However, there are a decent amount of OOS students in my cohort! As far as preference to south Florida in particular, I'm not sure. This is purely anecdotal, but I have noticed that a significant amount of my fellow classmates were FIU undergrads or are from Miami! I'm sure having ties to the area is only beneficial when applying.

any advice for the secondaries? I am currently prewriting responses based on last year's questions. Thanks!!
Sorry for the delay! Generally speaking, I would advise writing them as early as possible to display interest. Also really emphasize why you want to go to FIU specifically; for instance, discuss unique programs/initiatives they are involved with, any connections you have to the area, etc. If you have any specific questions for me about prompts, feel free to PM me.

Based on last year's thread, it looks like the character count is 1200? I am trying to be as concise as possible and a few of my responses are nowhere near 1200. Will this be a deal breaker?

IS Secondary Received.

Prompts (Same as last year):
The character limit for each essay is 1200 (including spaces).
1. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.
2. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, how do you know we will be a mission fit for you?
3. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.
4. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol did anyone else also get three separate emails with the link to the secondary?

Reactions: 4 users
Received OOS secondary. Is anyone else having an issue accessing the app? I've tried all 3 links they sent me but I keep getting redirected to Rutgers RWJ for some reason.

EDIT: nvm, turns out I had to clear my cache or some ****

Last edited:
Any of you guys able to hit the submit and pay button? I filled out everything and it still won't let me.

Any of you guys able to hit the submit and pay button? I filled out everything and it still won't let me.
I was able to submit and pay the secondary -- I did have to write "not applicable" in a few of the fields that were not "optional" when they should've have been.

For example, I put No for a question and the text box below was if you answered Yes... and so I had to write N/A in the text box. I hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m still awaiting AMCAS verification. Did they ask anything about Covid on the secondary?

I’m still awaiting AMCAS verification. Did they ask anything about Covid on the secondary?
Character limit 1000 (including spaces).
Please share any disruptions and/or challenges you have experienced this application year as a direct result of COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider in conjunction with your application. The following are some examples of topics for consideration, but are not limited to: academic preparations; extracurricular activities and/or experiences; personal and/or professional opportunities; or lessons and insights gained as a result of COVID-19.

The fact that you can't save and then go back and edit your responses on the portal is annoying -__-

Not quite sure what this question is asking: "Use this area to explain any exception to the prerequisites at your institution."

Not quite sure what this question is asking: "Use this area to explain any exception to the prerequisites at your institution."
If you chose any nontraditional prerequisite courses to satisfy the requirements, this is where you can include your explanation

Am I the only person who does not have headshots lying around or even any idea about to getting one?

Am I the only person who does not have headshots lying around or even any idea about to getting one?
I would just have someone try to take passport-style photo for you. I don't have a professional one, but I have a good quality picture from my softball headshot in college lol so I'm just using that one

username checks out
my softball headshot in college
Yeah I guess I'll just try and have someone I know do it. I'd use my football one but it's like 8 years old now so probably not going to cut it.

• Haha
I submitted the secondary but didn’t get a confirmation email. Anyone else?

When you guys complete the course selection part of the secondary, are you selecting every class that applies to that specific category or are you just selecting enough classes to meet the requirement? For instance they only want 2 semesters of Math, but I have 3. Should I select only 2 or all 3?

When you guys complete the course selection part of the secondary, are you selecting every class that applies to that specific category or are you just selecting enough classes to meet the requirement? For instance they only want 2 semesters of Math, but I have 3. Should I select only 2 or all 3?

I just did the minimum bc I think only those are the requirements

Is anyone else having issues submitting the secondary? I have everything uploaded and all my responses fit the character limits but the option to submit and pay is gray and I cannot click on it. I copied and pasted all my responses from Google Docs, could that be the issue?

Is anyone else having issues submitting the secondary? I have everything uploaded and all my responses fit the character limits but the option to submit and pay is gray and I cannot click on it. I copied and pasted all my responses from Google Docs, could that be the issue?
Did you make sure to put a response in every box, “N/A” If it does not concern you

What do you submit if you don't have a professional photo? Should I just try to take a photo with my phone?

If you chose any nontraditional prerequisite courses to satisfy the requirements, this is where you can include your explanation
I found this one confusing too. Do they mean using an unusual course to fill a writing or math pre-req, or do they mean using AP, CLEP, or other credits for a pre-req?

Is there any way to know if we are complete?

Did anyone receive a confirmation email after submitting the secondary?

What the f*** does this mean: Use this area to explain any exception to the prerequisites at your institution. THanks!

What the f*** does this mean: Use this area to explain any exception to the prerequisites at your institution. THanks!
I put NA. I think it's asking if you used nontraditional courses to fulfill the prerequisites. Like this wouldn't apply to you if you took physics to fulfill their physics requirement. But it would apply to you if you took some sort of engineering-based physics class to fulfill the general physics requirement.

Is there any way of knowing when our application is complete?