2020-2021 Florida International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there any way of knowing when our application is complete?
I didn't see any complete emails from previous years but the status changed to "final review ready" or something. FIU portal currently says they will review and contact us if they need anything, maybe no complete email then?

Members don't see this ad.

Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation? (1200 characters)

Does anyone know good resources to go over medical ethics before answering this question?

Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation? (1200 characters)

Does anyone know good resources to go over medical ethics before answering this question?

See provisions regarding minors. This is, of course, assuming this person is a minor. However, you really don't need any research to answer this. Your knee-jerk reaction is likely the correct one, if you are indeed, a good physician candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to receive a receipt for the secondary payment? I submitted yesterday but did not receive confirmation of payment.

Wait until they have reviewed your secondary and until you have more news, too early for updates at this stage of the game.
I have a ton more clinical experience that started about a day after I submitted my primary lol

Is anybody else having issues submitting the secondary? I filled out all of my responses but I am not able to click on the "Submit my responses and pay" button

I think I am becoming burnt out so I apologize for how silly this question is, but for the prompt, "Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, how do you know we will be a mission fit for you?" is there an overly unique mission statement I am missing or is this just another phrasing of 'why us?'. I've been looking on their website for anything in their mission statement that sticks out to me as different from other schools, but I can't find anything. I know they emphasize community engagement, so that's the only thing I can really come up with, but that doesn't seem too far off from most other schools (or maybe just the ones I'm applying to)

I think I am becoming burnt out so I apologize for how silly this question is, but for the prompt, "Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, how do you know we will be a mission fit for you?" is there an overly unique mission statement I am missing or is this just another phrasing of 'why us?'. I've been looking on their website for anything in their mission statement that sticks out to me as different from other schools, but I can't find anything. I know they emphasize community engagement, so that's the only thing I can really come up with, but that doesn't seem too far off from most other schools (or maybe just the ones I'm applying to)
I just talked about how their mission and vision aligns with my personal beliefs. So I guess I addressed how they will "fit" me as well as how I will "fit" them.

I just talked about how their mission and vision aligns with my personal beliefs. So I guess I addressed how they will "fit" me as well as how I will "fit" them.
Okay, makes sense! Yeah, that was what I started to do and then I was like 'wait, is this unique?'. I appreciate it! Definitely just overthinking it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to receive a receipt for the secondary payment? I submitted yesterday but did not receive confirmation of payment.
I never received any confirmation for anything, including secondary completion. I emailed them to make sure it was in, and it seems like it is *shrug*

I never received any confirmation for anything, including secondary completion. I emailed them to make sure it was in, and it seems like it is *shrug*
Did they email you back? Haven’t heard back from when I emailed

Hey they did respond. They told me it was recieved and complete

Anyone know when we should expect to hear back about II's?

Any current students lurking? FIU is one of my top choices and I’d love to talk!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone receive a complete email without emailing them?
Just to clarify no one has received a complete email right?
They don’t give complete emails AFAIK

I got one without emailing them. Completed 8/11 and received complete email 8/12

It says -

"FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine - Supplemental Application Complete

Dear *me*,

Thank you for your application to the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine.

We have received your completed Supplemental Application and we look forward to reviewing it soon. Please note that once your Supplemental Application has been submitted, you will no longer be able to add and/or edit your application. In addition, the Office of Admissions and Recruitment cannot add and/or edit application information or components on your behalf.

Should you have any questions regarding the application cycle, please do not hesitate to contact [email protected].

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions and Recruitment

Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine

Florida International University"

I never received another email from FIU after I submitted my secondary

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone else receive a complete email? If so, when did you submit your secondary and when did you receive an email?

I’ve heard back from them about something else on my app so I don’t think you need to email them.

I only got one because I emailed and asked if they had everything (which they did).

I’ve heard back from them about something else on my app so I don’t think you need to email them.
If you don’t mind sharing do you mean that you were missing something in your app and they contacted you?

If you don’t mind sharing do you mean that you were missing something in your app and they contacted you?
No, I asked about something and they clarified. They didn’t mention if I was complete or not!

I only got one because I emailed and asked if they had everything (which they did).
Did you need to include your AMCAS number when you emailed them or were they able to find your file from your first and last name?

"Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?"

Just to be clear, you are not a physician in this scenario, correct?

"Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?"

I don’t think it really matters, but many times PIs are physicians.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think it really matters, but many times PIs are physicians.
I feel like it matters a lil bit. Am I aware of the patient's prognosis moving forward or not? Maybe im thinking way too deep into it lol

I feel like it matters a lil bit. Am I aware of the patient's prognosis moving forward or not? Maybe im thinking way too deep into it lol
I mean there are a lot of what ifs in this scenario. But yeah I kept it pretty general when I answered it haha.

if it helps, i briefly defined my assumptions/intertwined them into my response so the reader would know what i was assuming when answering.

if it helps, i briefly defined my assumptions/intertwined them into my response so the reader would know what i was assuming when answering.
Yeah, I did the same thing. I think it's kinda important for the sake of communication to explain how you are interpreting the question. I also think if you do this, they'll give more grace if you interpreted a bit differently than they expected.

"Your patient" "you are the PI"

you are

does anyone know if FIU has any pre-matriculation programs for entering med students?

AMCAS submitted 7/1.
Primary verified 8.12.
Secondary submitted just now 8.27.
No "completion" yet

Just sharing for anyone with similar dates and wants to be neurotic with me. :(

AMCAS submitted 7/1.
Primary verified 8.12.
Secondary submitted just now 8.27.
No "completion" yet

Just sharing for anyone with similar dates and wants to be neurotic with me. :(
Complete 7/10 and didn’t get an email lol. Waiting game