2020-2021 LSU New Orleans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: LSU New Orleans

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone comment on the 32 credit GPA rule? How is this GPA rule calculated with MCAT scores (I couldn't find a minimum score)? Please share stats if anyone knows anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on the 32 credit GPA rule? How is this GPA rule calculated with MCAT scores (I couldn't find a minimum score)? Please share stats if anyone knows anything.
I did the 32 hour policy this cycle (4.0 grad GPA replaced my 3.2 undergrad GPA) but got rejected after my interview. I believe it was due to my MCAT score (506) so I plan to take it again in August. My experience was this: I submitted my app in July 2019 when I was only at 28 hours of graduate coursework, and LSU emailed me in August saying they would wait to consider my app until the end of my fall semester so that I would be able to qualify for the 32 hour policy. I sent my updated transcript in December 2019 once I surpassed the 32 hours, then I got my interview invite in January. So they’re definitely willing to work with you!

Reactions: 1 users
I second bcatherine's response. I applied last cycle after my 4.00 SMP as an OOS student and ended up getting accepted. I'm not sure if they have a minimum MCAT score, but for reference, my most recent attempt was a 513. My undergrad GPA was below a 3.00, so the 32 hour rule definitely makes a difference.

Reactions: 3 users
I just noticed this on their requirements page:

It should be noted that it is highly desirable that an applicant not have more than a two (2) year lapse between their most recent coursework and the application year. If you have been out of school for an extended period of time (more than two full academic years), you should still attempt to obtain faculty evaluations.

I thought they liked nontrads. Does anyone know how bad it is that my postbacc was done in 2018? When they say application year, do they mean applying in 2020, or for the 2021 application cycle? I assume they mean the latter.

Last edited:
Try calling
I just noticed this on their requirements page:

I thought they liked nontrads. Does anyone know how bad it is that my postbacc was done in 2018? When they say application year, do they mean applying in 2020, or for the 2021 application cycle? I assume they mean the latter.
I would also assume the latter

I'm wondering, does LSU adcom automatically apply the 32 hour policy if you have the postbacc/grad hours or do you have to specify somewhere on the secondary app that you would like to be considered for it?

I'm wondering, does LSU adcom automatically apply the 32 hour policy if you have the postbacc/grad hours or do you have to specify somewhere on the secondary app that you would like to be considered for it?
I think they do it automatically. I vaguely remember my professor mentioning this.

Reactions: 1 user
It was automatic for me last cycle!

If anyone has any questions throughout the process feel free to message me or post below. I am current 4th year at LSUHSC, and more than willing to help yall out as best I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any essays? I’m hoping that my delay in receiving a secondary is due to me being OOS
A supplemental optional essay I filled out, but no essays required. Questionnaires you fill out

A supplemental optional essay I filled out, but no essays required. Questionnaires you fill out
Do you mind sharing what the prompt was for the optional essay?

Do you mind sharing what the prompt was for the optional essay?
"If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school."
Since I'm an LA resident and went to a school in Florida, I talked about why I wanted to go home and stated that I wanted to practice medicine in Louisiana.

"If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school."
Since I'm an LA resident and went to a school in Florida, I talked about why I wanted to go home and stated that I wanted to practice medicine in Louisiana.
What do you think they consider “reasonable length?” Would this be a good place to talk about ties to LA, or are there other places within the application to do that?

Sorry for all the questions!

What do you think they consider “reasonable length?” Would this be a good place to talk about ties to LA, or are there other places within the application to do that?

Sorry for all the questions!
No worries brother, we're here to help each other. I did about a page double-spaced, I didn't wanna talk too much. I would definitely talk about your ties to Louisiana. I think there's a question that asks if you're an LA resident or the ties you have there, but it doesn't give you space to elaborate on it like the essay would.

@SouthernGent 2 days ago, I got an email giving me access to the online portal for the secondary application. This lets me submit my documents, but I can't find anywhere to actually download the questionnaire, essay prompt, or anything else. I thought they would send that all out at the same time. Am I missing something?

@SouthernGent 2 days ago, I got an email giving me access to the online portal for the secondary application. This lets me submit my documents, but I can't find anywhere to actually download the questionnaire, essay prompt, or anything else. I thought they would send that all out at the same time. Am I missing something?
That is a question for the admissions office.

Hi all,

I was suppose to take the MCAT in March, then rescheduled to July. Got sick and had to reschedule to August 14th. My score release will be September 1st. I've already been verified and am performing well on my MCAT practice exams. LSUHSC is my top choice. Is this going to put me too late into the cycle if I'm complete by early-mid Septemeber?

Thanks!

When was your primary verified? I'm OOS and was verified on 13 July but have not received one yet. Thanks for any info!

Not the same person but I was verfied 7/16 and recieved the secondary 7/22! OOS, weak ties

Not the same person but I was verfied 7/16 and recieved the secondary 7/22! OOS, weak ties

Hmmm I’ve been verified since June and haven’t received a secondary as an OOS. Should I be concerned?

When was your primary verified? I'm OOS and was verified on 13 July but have not received one yet. Thanks for any info!
I was verified 6/13. Definitely don't think you should worry if you haven't gotten it yet - in the past I've seen that LSU takes longer to send out secondaries after screening than other schools.

Hi all,

I was suppose to take the MCAT in March, then rescheduled to July. Got sick and had to reschedule to August 14th. My score release will be September 1st. I've already been verified and am performing well on my MCAT practice exams. LSUHSC is my top choice. Is this going to put me too late into the cycle if I'm complete by early-mid Septemeber?

Thanks!
I'm in the same situation, I'm scheduled for the August 29th MCAT. I spoke with Dr. Eubanks a few weeks ago about my MCAT date and he didn't seem concerned at all so although we may be a little late, I think we should be fine.

I'm in the same situation, I'm scheduled for the August 29th MCAT. I spoke with Dr. Eubanks a few weeks ago about my MCAT date and he didn't seem concerned at all so although we may be a little late, I think we should be fine.

Did you submit the primary to the school yet? I've been verified to a throw away school but I'm not sure if I should go ahead and submit the primary to LSUHSC or wait until after my MCAT score is back?

Could you post the secondary prompts?
"If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school." That’s the prompt of the optional essay. There are no required ones.

Did you submit the primary to the school yet? I've been verified to a throw away school but I'm not sure if I should go ahead and submit the primary to LSUHSC or wait until after my MCAT score is back?
Yes I submitted! Eubanks told me I didn’t need to wait for my score in order to submit as long as I selected the option in AMCAS which tells the school that I’m scheduled to take the mcat again.

Yes I submitted! Eubanks told me I didn’t need to wait for my score in order to submit as long as I selected the option in AMCAS which tells the school that I’m scheduled to take the mcat again.

Thanks so much!!!!

Does LSU give us a confirmation that our application is complete? There were so many different parts to it that I wanna make sure I covered everything

Does LSU give us a confirmation that our application is complete? There were so many different parts to it that I wanna make sure I covered everything
I received an email saying my file was complete a couple of days after submitting all the secondary components!

Any other OOS waiting for secondary?

Any other OOS waiting for secondary?
I still haven't received a secondary. I was submitted on 13 July. I actually called them an hour ago to ask if I was missing something or there was some reason I had not received a secondary invitation yet, and they told me that it just takes awhile to process. So I guess patience is the name of the game for now.

I still haven't received a secondary. I was submitted on 13 July. I actually called them an hour ago to ask if I was missing something or there was some reason I had not received a secondary invitation yet, and they told me that it just takes awhile to process. So I guess patience is the name of the game for now.
Thanks for calling and checking back in, makes me feel better about not receiving one yet. A friend of mine from the same town OOS hasn’t gotten his yet either, so a lot of us are in the same boat, it seems.

I was reading this forum over....it looks like only one person got LSU - New Orleans. I am OOS. Has anyone gotten the secondary? I got Shreveport already.

I was reading this forum over....it looks like only one person got LSU - New Orleans. I am OOS. Has anyone gotten the secondary? I got Shreveport already.

Yes. OOS w/ no ties

Last edited:
That's interesting, thank you for your input. I will reach out to them immediately

Finally got my LSU New Orleans OOS secondary. How do I get a copy of my AAMC Fee Waiver to send to them?

Finally got my LSU New Orleans OOS secondary. How do I get a copy of my AAMC Fee Waiver to send to them?
Did you reach out to LSU at all to get them to send it to you?

I sent them an email a while back ago, she basically told me I was OOS and told me to wait my turn. I waited and was awarded a nice, shiny long winded application process that really is janky AF. lol. I guess just wait, but it does not hurt to call or email I guess. I do not think it made a difference in my secondary