2020-2021 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I know it's the first day of transmission to schools but does anyone know when we usually get the secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified 5/18, Secondary received just now. Same prompts as last year.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there's a word limit on the prompts? They almost seem unofficial.

Similar question to the one above: since there isnt a character limit on the essays how long should they be ? I too got the feeling that they seemed "unofficial", especially the question about how we heard about osteopathic medicine. Thoughts ?

Just got the secondary as well! Anyone else have any problems actually accessing it though? I'm getting to a blank page that says login, but there's nothing on it.

Secondary received today as well. Verifed 5/19. When I went to submit my answer on how I heard about osteopathic medicine, it gave me an error because it was over 2000 characters, which seems to be the character limit for that question. Not sure about the other questions. Also @Afghan_Prince I would try a new browser. I know it said they were having issues with certain browsers, especially Internet Explorer. I used Chrome and it was fine.

Secondary received today as well. Verifed 5/19. When I went to submit my answer on how I heard about osteopathic medicine, it gave me an error because it was over 2000 characters, which seems to be the character limit for that question. Not sure about the other questions. Also @Afghan_Prince I would try a new browser. I know it said they were having issues with certain browsers, especially Internet Explorer. I used Chrome and it was fine.

That did the trick! I was using Firefox, so Firefox users beware!

secondary received this morning!! I haven't logged onto the secondary portal, but the email invitation seemed kinda unprofessional to me. Examples:
"NSU-KPCOM recently advised you that we had received your application..." they used the word 'advised' incorrectly, and I also never received notice of them receiving my application. Later in the email it also says "This is a friendly reminder notice that NSU-KPCOM requires each applicant..." which also doesn't sound right to me because of the 'reminder notice'.

I had the same impression, I knew that my application had been verified on AACOM but not from NOVA. I initially thought that they had already sent me a secondary and that I missed it.

For the "healthcare related activities" question, are you guys using the same descriptions you put on AACOMAS or changing it up?

I received a, "reminder notice," with access to the secondary this morning, but never received a different email before this. Did anyone else have this issue?

Reactions: 1 users
For the "healthcare related activities" question, are you guys using the same descriptions you put on AACOMAS or changing it up?

I used the same activities but different wording and focused on different aspects.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a, "reminder notice," with access to the secondary this morning, but never received a different email before this. Did anyone else have this issue?

It looks like we were all told the same thing, despite never having received an email before this one.

Should we include shadowing in the question about health care related volunteering? Or just volunteering?

Should we include shadowing in the question about health care related volunteering? Or just volunteering?

I only wrote about volunteering. Shadowing doesn't seem like a volunteering experience even if it is health care related.

I only wrote about volunteering. Shadowing doesn't seem like a volunteering experience even if it is health care related.
I agree, just making sure.

How long are everyones responses for the first question?

I wish I knew the limit was 2,000 characters before I spent half the day perfectly re-crafting my experiences for the health-care volunteer activities question. Be warned, only 2,000 characters.

Did anyone else just receive a call from this school saying that they received your application materials? Kind of was hoping it would be an early II phone call lol no such luck.

Did anyone else just receive a call from this school saying that they received your application materials? Kind of was hoping it would be an early II phone call lol no such luck.
No, when did you submit? I submitted late Friday 6/19 and still have not gotten a confirmation they received my secondary...

No, when did you submit? I submitted late Friday 6/19 and still have not gotten a confirmation they received my secondary...
I submitted on 6/19 too, I'm sure there's just a lot of people they have to call. Did you get an email confirmation?

I submitted on 6/19 too, I'm sure there's just a lot of people they have to call. Did you get an email confirmation?
I agree. I never got a confirmation that they received my secondary, just the payment confirmation, so I'm not sure that counts haha

+1 very anticlimactic lol

+1 Got a phone call Friday, very nice of them to reach out that they received everything although I was slightly freaked out when I saw the FL number come through.

I got a phone call stating that my application is complete and heading for review. Submitted on 6/18

I'm assuming they already have your MCAT scores if they are reviewing your application?

I submitted primary yesterday. I have not received email stating it’s been received or a secondary

Got the call too! They were very nice. They just said that my application was being reviewed and I can receive a decison if I get an invite for interview in less than 4 weeks.

People who have gotten called, do you have MCAT scores?

Hey guys for campus preference for this school, which one did you pick?

Is this a school that is recommended to apply without an MCAT yet? Thank you.

Directly from AACOM/ChooseDO regarding the COVID-19 application cycle: "Congruent with our philosophy, AACOMAS participating schools intend to adapt their application review process to the following to mitigate the many obstacles you may face: Review your application and extend interview invitations prior to receiving your MCAT score, by evaluating experiences, academic metrics, and attributes that you have demonstrated in your application. In some instances, our colleges will accept you without MCAT scores, but many will await required MCAT scores before extending an offer to join a class"

For more info check out this link: https://choosedo.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/COVID-19-Letter-to-Prospective-Students.pdf

My scores are in as well. I am sure NSU will start review without your scores though, this cycle is going to be very weird. Congruent with the policy, if they are interested, they should offer an interview or a call at least without regards to your score.

Does anyone know if it's going to be virtual interviews this cycle?

People who have gotten called, do you have MCAT scores?
I do! However, when I asked them if there was anything else left for me to do on my end, the guy checked and made sure I had my scores and everything already. The fact that he was checking might imply that some people that they call don't have their scores yet??

Does anyone know if it's going to be virtual interviews this cycle?

I would imagine that most med schools will be conducting interviews online given how bad this second wave is hitting Florida.

So what happens if I have a current MCAT score and but I retook it and the scores come out next month.

So what happens if I have a current MCAT score and but I retook it and the scores come out next month.
Release your score from the AAMC to AACOMAS. The schools on your AACOMAS should be notified, but I would follow up with them to make sure they have received the update in your application.

i accidentally missed the phone call about my app completion from them. Should I call them back?

Release your score from the AAMC to AACOMAS. The schools on your AACOMAS should be notified, but I would follow up with them to make sure they have received the update in your application.

I on my AACOMAS app added my old score and added another one saying im going to take it and listed the date with my AMCAS ID should that be enough?

I on my AACOMAS app added my old score and added another one saying im going to take it and listed the date with my AMCAS ID should that be enough?
I believe you will still have to have the AAMC send/release the score to AACOMAS. I have never had to do this so am unfamiliar with how it works, so maybe someone else can chime in? However, since the transmission to schools from AACOMAS has already happened, and you will be receiving a score after the schools already have your app, I would try to double check with each school that they actually did receive the score you want them to have when the time comes.

FYI I called today and was told that applications without MCAT scores are still being reviewed and IIs will be sent out to people without MCAT scores.

Why do they call you about your completed application? Sounds odd.

Will letters of rec be sent to the secondary from AACOMAS? I got an email that they have not received mine yet and I could send them to an address but mine are on AACOMAS. Any ideas?

Will letters of rec be sent to the secondary from AACOMAS? I got an email that they have not received mine yet and I could send them to an address but mine are on AACOMAS. Any ideas?
I called them last week and they said the letters needed to be sent through AACOMAS, ie, I could not send them directly to them even it was through Interfolio. Once your letters are in AACOMAS, they said they should get them automatically, but to call them a few days after the letters are in to make sure they received them.

I'm having a difficult time getting info on Davie vs Clearwater. Does the fact that Davie is more established make it the definite better choice over Clearwater, or does Clearwater have something that Davie does not?