2020-2021 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM-PA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Question on this school, I am filling out the primaries and the PCOM SG and PA campuses have the same primary as well as no area to input requirements. Additionally, they ask about if I were to choose one area over the other - if I have no preference should I just specify what about each I like?

Question on this school, I am filling out the primaries and the PCOM SG and PA campuses have the same primary as well as no area to input requirements. Additionally, they ask about if I were to choose one area over the other - if I have no preference should I just specify what about each I like?
I think you have a good interpretation of the prompt. I chose only the Philly location and I wrote specifically what I liked about that one. I would assume if I selected both I’d write something similar tailored to Georgia for their other location.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
just for clarity purposes, i have 3 LORs from all science profs. that’s cool right?

the description on their website says the 3rd letter must come from “any other faculty member” so i’m not sure if it’s supposed to be 2 science and 1 non-science..

just for clarity purposes, i have 3 LORs from all science profs. that’s cool right?

the description on their website says the 3rd letter must come from “any other faculty member” so i’m not sure if it’s supposed to be 2 science and 1 non-science..
Any other faculty member means it can come from science or non science. Just the two must be from science.

A premedical committee Letter waives the individual letter requirements, right?

Would love to go to PCOM, first time applicant, fingers crossed

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

I wanted to get confirmation if different Ad Coms examine your responses regarding "one thing that resonates with you for the Philly campus " and "one that resonates with you for the South Georgia campus?" I wouldn't want to be repetitive if its the same Ad Com.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get confirmation if different Ad Coms examine your responses regarding "one thing that resonates with you for the Philly campus " and "one that resonates with you for the South Georgia campus?" I wouldn't want to be repetitive if its the same Ad Com.

Thanks!
I believe they're separate since I can find separate addresses for each location's admissions office. But I took that prompt to mean things specific to each location so I don't think it's supposed to be repetitive either way? I only applied to Philly but I referenced a specific clinic students volunteer at and a professor I wanted to do research with.

Edit: I also pulled up my app and noticed a tiny typo in the essay I wrote so RIP :smack:

I believe they're separate since I can find separate addresses for each location's admissions office. But I took that prompt to mean things specific to each location so I don't think it's supposed to be repetitive either way? I only applied to Philly but I referenced a specific clinic students volunteer at and a professor I wanted to do research with.

Edit: I also pulled up my app and noticed a tiny typo in the essay I wrote so RIP :smack:
I too am making sure to make specific references to each campus, but I didn't want to reintroduce the same information, such as X program in college, if not needed, or similar writing structure.

Last edited:

i had a typo as well so i’m right there w/ you! lmao

• Haha
When does this PCOM give out interview invites? Also did anyone get the secondary application fee form yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
When does this PCOM give out interview invites? Also did anyone get the secondary application fee form yet?
Looking at last year's threads, the secondary app fee form goes out starting early July and interview invites start mid-September. The year before, II's went out mid-August. With Covid, I honestly think end of September is when we should expect from movement from PCOM for interviews.

yeah, they’re one of the “slower” schools since they get a ton of apps

Hi Guys! How is everyone approaching the " address any identified deficiencies in your application" question? I've read before that it's bad to point out your own flaws unless you have significant reasons for them or have grown from your mistakes such as criminal offenses or very low gpas, etc. I got C's in Ochem and retook them for As but I think that's super common and not worth mentioning. I have no DO LoR and very little DO shadowing would it be wise to point that out as my deficiency or red flag to mention it? (though my MD LoR should be strong and they accept either) Many say to not point out your flaws but how do you approach questions like this when they're mandatory. Any insight would be appreciated thank you and good luck to everyone!!!

Hi Guys! How is everyone approaching the " address any identified deficiencies in your application" question? I've read before that it's bad to point out your own flaws unless you have significant reasons for them or have grown from your mistakes such as criminal offenses or very low gpas, etc. I got C's in Ochem and retook them for As but I think that's super common and not worth mentioning. I have no DO LoR and very little DO shadowing would it be wise to point that out as my deficiency or red flag to mention it? (though my MD LoR should be strong and they accept either) Many say to not point out your flaws but how do you approach questions like this when they're mandatory. Any insight would be appreciated thank you and good luck to everyone!!!

Last cycle, I wrote about getting a C in orgo that also turned into an A when I retook the course. I think it was looked on positively by adcoms because I was asked about it in my interview and it seemed to go over very well!

I’m writing about not having a DO LOR or DO shadowing. I’m going to mention how I think having a LOR from an MD I have scribed for for over a year may partially make up for the lack of a DO letter and how I have scribed for a DO for 25 hours which isn’t technically shadowing but it did give me some insight into his practice and philosophy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The essay isn’t required? Right? I took it to mean that space is used if you wanted to address anything. I didn’t so I didn’t fill it out.

Use this space if you'd like to address any identified deficiencies in your application

Reactions: 2 users
The essay isn’t required? Right? I took it to mean that space is used if you wanted to address anything. I didn’t so I didn’t fill it out.

Use this space if you'd like to address any identified deficiencies in your application
I'm actually not sure as well! I know PCOM no longer has secondaries so the two questions are their only supplemental essays so I thought it'd be important to fill out in a sense?

Last cycle, I wrote about getting a C in orgo that also turned into an A when I retook the course. I think it was looked on positively by adcoms because I was asked about it in my interview and it seemed to go over very well!
Thanks for sharing! I think I will definitely mention this as well

My physician letter is also from a MD I have scribed for and I have partially worked with a DO before too who helped at the clinic for 2 months. I will definitely mention this as well thank you for the help!

I didn't answer this as I didn't think there was anything glaring in my app

anyone know if the Philly campus has an in-state bias? i'm from TX but i have strong ties to Philly (which i expressed in the essay on the primary) if that's relevant.

Has anyone heard anything back from them since submitting the primary?

Typically they download apps in July but since working remotely with lots to work around it may take longer. Remember this is a marathon not a sprint.

I got an email for PCOM Admissions, an informative newsletter type, and it says after AACOMAS is verified the app is sent to PCOM.
After which they will send out an acknowledgment email with a link to the portal.
Just wondering if anyone got a portal link yet?

been verified since 5/19 and havent heard anything

probably just being neurotic but...

I got an email for PCOM Admissions, an informative newsletter type, and it says after AACOMAS is verified the app is sent to PCOM.
After which they will send out an acknowledgment email with a link to the portal.

I haven’t even got the acknowledgement email yet so...

I got that email too! Verified 6/1 and no portal link yet.

I also got that email. I was verified 5/29 and have not received a portal link.

Submitting this weekend! How long did it take people to get verified?

Can we use the same essays for the PCOM Philadelphia campus and the PCOM Georgia (Suwanee) campus?

Can we use the same essays for the PCOM Philadelphia campus and the PCOM Georgia (Suwanee) campus?
I don't see how that would work considering they're in different locations

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of a cheeky question but will an adcom be able to see my response to both campuses sGA and PA? Or are they split somehow in the system?

Kind of a cheeky question but will an adcom be able to see my response to both campuses sGA and PA? Or are they split somehow in the system?
If they wanted to they would be able to see them. While different campuses they can access all records if they log in to them. They are really too busy to do that but the option is there.

Would it hurt not to do the COVID-19 essay? It didn't affect me that much except for delaying the start to my scribe job, which I plan on talking about in my secondaries

Would it hurt not to do the COVID-19 essay? It didn't affect me that much except for delaying the start to my scribe job, which I plan on talking about in my secondaries

I would say talk about however it changed you. For me, it changed some aspects of my job but it more heavily impacted my personal life so I talked about that. Also how it changed my perspective on some things. Definitely include the bit about your job but it is a fairly open ended question.

Hi guys, for the question asking about one aspect of PCOM-PA which resonates with your personality and values, I talked about PCOM's emphasis on diversity and inclusion. Can anyone provide some feedback as to whether I should include more specific things about the curriculum or other opportunities in my essay?

Are there any current PCOM students who are willing to answer some questions? I started writing about PCOM's musical events, as I play piano and would like to become musically involved with on campus clubs, and I found online some names of talent shows and bands of PCOM but I would like to confirm that the information I have about musical events and bands is accurate. Thanks in advance if anyone would be willing to help!

Woooo! Portal link! Verified 5/13 and MCAT score tomorow.

Secondary fee e-mail....when I log into applicant portal....it says "Campus: Philadelphia" even though I specified S. Georgia interest and applied to PCOM GA, too. Is "Campus: Philadelphia" the default, or is anyone seeing S. GA in that table?

Furthermore, why not lump the 2 GA schools together and have Philly separate? Philly was just by catch of me applying to GA....don't want to fork up $75 if they're only considering me for Philly campus.

The email I got says PCOM South Georgia at the top.

1594088977929.png

but when I went to the portal to pay it says "Fall 2021 Osteopathic Medicine - Philadelphia/South Georgia Campus"
as the application link to pay.

@8YearsLate Mine also says Campus Philadelphia under the portal... Sorry forgot to include that in the other post.

I think its a consideration for both imo.