2020-2021 South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just wondering what the discrepancy is between the MCAT score listed on here versus the one on MSAR. I know there is a difference between median and average but is it really a difference of a 511 vs. a 516?

To people reading this thread. I would go back into last year's thread and look at the whole match day thing. Unmatch rate more than double the national USMD average.

Right now the most important thing is getting an A but the second you do the most important thing becomes securing a residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To people reading this thread. I would go back into last year's thread and look at the whole match day thing. Unmatch rate more than double the national USMD average.

Right now the most important thing is getting an A but the second you do the most important thing becomes securing a residency.

could you provide the link?

Yeah, but it seems like it was an issue with ROAD applicants and the home residencies not supporting and advising as well as they should have?

USF is my hometown med school. The match rates is concerning (especially for ortho) but I won't be picky until I have an acceptance.

I wonder if STEP 1 being P/F for this round of applicants will change the way they view us?

Hi everyone! I guess this is the newest thread for applicants? Anyway, I'm a rising MS2 at USF (SELECT). I'll try to pop in every now and then to answer any questions you might have about USF or SELECT. Good luck to you all!

I understand that USF had double the national average for SOAP this year. Can anyone comment on why this occurred, if this is abnormal for USF, what the SOAP rate has been in the past few years, and if anything is being done to change this in the future?

I don’t understand the first question. Like which option would you pick for in a multi specialty clinic? Which I think is what most people are looking for, right? Private practice would mean just solo which I guess is closer than public health or administration.

I wonder if USF will have as much of a stat boner as they did in previous years now that Step 1 is P/F. hoping they do bc im above median lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if USF will have as much of a stat boner as they did in previous years now that Step 1 is P/F. hoping they do bc im above median lol

It hasn't done them any favors, their un-match rate was twice the national average this year :X3:

how long has their number favoritism gone on tho? ive only seen the big mcat median for what would be ms1/2's

Does anyone know how many LOR USF accepts? Their website says 2 minimum, but 5 recommended. I wasn't sure if that means 5 is their max or if they would accept 6?

Does anyone know how many LOR USF accepts? Their website says 2 minimum, but 5 recommended. I wasn't sure if that means 5 is their max or if they would accept 6?
I went back and forth with an adcom over email asking about LoR packets and didn't get the clearest answers, but I ended up sending a letter packet (collection of several letters, all from instructors, but no committee letter eval offered by my undergrad institution) consisting of 5 letters and then two individual letters from research PIs. Totaled 3 AMCAS letter slots for all 7 letters, and I think that USF should be fine with that.

Did anyone else notice how their median GPA for out of state is considerably lower than in state (3.72 vs 3.90)?

Did anyone else notice how their median GPA for out of state is considerably lower than in state (3.72 vs 3.90)?
lol yes, kinda annoys me like cmon you're an FL state school shouldn't we have favorable metric comparisons

Hey!
I was wondering if anyone could speak on USF's course requirements and how they view courses taken on the quarter system (ie does one quarter fulfill a one semester req)? I emailed back and forth and couldn't get a straight answer from the school :/

yknow, thinking about how much of a stat guzzler USF has been and their thirst to increase ranking in recent years

did anyone else laugh at how similar USF's secondary was to stanford's? it's like 4 of the exact same questions

yknow, thinking about how much of a stat guzzler USF has been and their thirst to increase ranking in recent years

did anyone else laugh at how similar USF's secondary was to stanford's? it's like 4 of the exact same questions

Did you already receive the secondary?

Just received a secondary, OOS!

Prompts are:

Do you believe the competitiveness (i.e. course requirements, experiences, academic performance, etc.) of your application for medical school has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic? If yes, please provide specifics as to how your competitiveness was impacted. If no, type “N/A”. (1500 characters)
----
What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

Private Practice

Academic Medicine

Public Health

Health Care Administration

Health Policy

Other
Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in the previous question. (1500 characters)
----
The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation. Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question: (Scholarly Concentrations Program | USF Health) a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals? Optional (1500 characters)
----
The University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine? (2000 characters)
----
If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (2000 characters)
----
If you have chosen the SELECT program or BOTH, please explain how your experiences and career goals match with the mission of the SELECT program. (MD SELECT Program | USF Health) (1500 characters)

@TheDataKing

for the residency form, are you guys leaving the USF ID blank? Also for the form are they saying to put us as independent?

for the residency form, are you guys leaving the USF ID blank? Also for the form are they saying to put us as independent?
The website says all MD applicants are considered independent. If you click on "Upload Docs", the following message appears: *Note: If you are not a current USF student, leave the USF ID question blank.

I am a little confused about the Term of Application. Would the Term of Application be Fall 2021 for us?

Last edited:
Obtaining these extra documents just to prove residency is such a hassle. FIU's was short and simple.

Is it okay to not do either of the optional essays? I just want to do the core program so I wouldn’t do the second optional essay. But is the scholarly concentrations one specific to core program?

Is it okay to not do either of the optional essays? I just want to do the core program so I wouldn’t do the second optional essay. But is the scholarly concentrations one specific to core program?
From what I understand the scholarly concentrations is under CORE, so you should fill that one out. Also, if you're OOS, I have read that it is in your best interest to apply to both SELECT and CORE, therefore you should fill out that optional essay as well.

I have a question about their institutional action prompt (which is annoying, bc I literally answered this question almost verbatim on the AMCAS primary). Their phrasing is: "Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action for scholastic misconduct (such as plagiarism or cheating) or any other type of behavioral misconduct at any educational institution? If yes, explain".

I was placed on academic probation for poor grades many years ago in undergrad. Their prompt seems to be focusing on "misconduct", which I have none. If I planned on talking about the circumstances of my IA in their required "academic difficulties" section, how should I go about this? It seems like they haven't even considered academic probation as an IA if they're asking this question AND a "poor grades" question as well.

I have a question about their institutional action prompt (which is annoying, bc I literally answered this question almost verbatim on the AMCAS primary). Their phrasing is: "Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action for scholastic misconduct (such as plagiarism or cheating) or any other type of behavioral misconduct at any educational institution? If yes, explain".

I was placed on academic probation for poor grades many years ago in undergrad. Their prompt seems to be focusing on "misconduct", which I have none. If I planned on talking about the circumstances of my IA in their required "academic difficulties" section, how should I go about this? It seems like they haven't even considered academic probation as an IA if they're asking this question AND a "poor grades" question as well.
I read that the same way that you do. If it were me I'd just talk about that and how you overcame it in the "academic difficulties" part.

For residency form... the “term of application” is it Fall 2020 or Fall 2021?

Also it says to submit two or more of the documents listed on the form but I have no idea what any of the options in B. are but I have multiple from A.

For residency form... the “term of application” is it Fall 2020 or Fall 2021?

Also it says to submit two or more of the documents listed on the form but I have no idea what any of the options in B. are but I have multiple from A.

You can either submit:

2 type A documents
1 type A + 1 type B

I went to USF for undergrad and it was the same form

Welp....time to request for a replacement voter registration card lol

For anyone that's uploaded their residency forms, you uploaded 3/4 right? Want to make sure I didn't miss anything for the 4th upload that states "USF MCOM Residency Form" again

For anyone that's uploaded their residency forms, you uploaded 3/4 right? Want to make sure I didn't miss anything for the 4th upload that states "USF MCOM Residency Form" again
I used slots 1-3. 4 said it was optional and was the same as 1.

Can I ask what term you put for the "Term of Application" section?

And once I upload, yea I will have used 3/4 slots (1 for the residency app and 2 for supporting documents).

Anyone else hate that this secondary doesn't allow you to save your progress? Ugh.

Is anyone else having issues accessing the residency form? I've tried two different web browsers and two different computers and it still wont load the page.

Is there any way to see our status after submission? No post-submission or complete email

Does anyone know if I can use my FL Vehicle Registration as a Type A document if it has my father's name and address (which is also my permanent address) on it? I swear these hoops are too much. I've been living in Florida for over 10 years and am struggling on finding something other than my driver's license.

I did something like that b/c there is an option for "document evidencing family ties in Florida" but it is hard to say for sure.

are there any current USF students lurking that could answer a few questions?