2020-2021 South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received, OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current students speak on their experience with the SELECT program? I'm IS, but it sounds interesting. Not sure if you think it lives up to the hype of the website, or if I should opt for only CORE because of IS bias? I wonder if the lack of IS interviewees for SELECT is attributable to fewer Floridian applicants willing to go to PA or AdCom preference?

If we are only applying to SELECT, do we need to answer the scholarly concentration question? I am under the impression that scholarly concentrations are only for the CORE program, but I'd like to confirm! Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me if I should have received a complete email from USF? I submitted on 7/22 and haven't heard from them since

Can anyone tell me if I should have received a complete email from USF? I submitted on 7/22 and haven't heard from them since
They don’t send complete emails so basically first communication will be if you receive an II I believe

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if I can use my FL Vehicle Registration as a Type A document if it has my father's name and address (which is also my permanent address) on it? I swear these hoops are too much. I've been living in Florida for over 10 years and am struggling on finding something other than my driver's license.
it says supporting documentation must be yours :/ but i am having the same trouble. i submitted my license and i was never issued a voter card & my vehicle registration is in my parents name. will our apps still be reviewed before we submit the supporting docs? cause apparently it can take up to 10 weeks to receive a voter card..

Can any current students speak on their experience with the SELECT program? I'm IS, but it sounds interesting. Not sure if you think it lives up to the hype of the website, or if I should opt for only CORE because of IS bias? I wonder if the lack of IS interviewees for SELECT is attributable to fewer Floridian applicants willing to go to PA or AdCom preference?

Using Box for reference, SELECT students pay OOS tuition even if they're in state. I'm CORE and all the Select people I know are from out of state, most of them from around the Allentown area, but I suppose it's possible that some are from Florida. Their program seems cool, they basically do SELECT instead of a scholarly concentration, but I don't think it's worth the tuition change if you're in state.

• Wow
it says supporting documentation must be yours :/ but i am having the same trouble. i submitted my license and i was never issued a voter card & my vehicle registration is in my parents name. will our apps still be reviewed before we submit the supporting docs? cause apparently it can take up to 10 weeks to receive a voter card..
I just used my utility bills for my university apartment from the last 12 months... they just need to see some proof of FL residency

@highway31 Thanks!

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. How is Tampa? Is it possible to live outside the city easily in suburbs and still commute to school?

4. What is research like there? More clinical or basic emphasized? Competitive?

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

We have a few sessions a week that are "participatory" which basically mean you don't get access to the recording if you don't go. Also, you have to attend like 80% of these to get an additional 1% towards your grade at the end of the block. If you don't attend you don't see the recording or get the point, but you still get the powerpoints. There are occasional (1 or 2 x a week max) mandatory sessions, and every week you have Doctoring (required) and Anatomy lab (year 1). Doctoring is small group format. The other mandatory/participatory sessions can be either large group or less commonly small group. There are also sporadic mandatory things throughout the block. I would say that if I didn't go when I absolutely had to, I could limit my time on campus to about 2 or 3 days a week, for a few hours each time. The vast majority of sessions are not mandatory.

I should mention that this is likely to change completely because of COVID. Currently the MS2s are almost entirely online except for exams and some physical exam sessions. I have no idea what the MS1s are doing but I know they are on campus for their orientation weeks. I also have no idea what changes admin will make for the next year's entering classes.

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

The building is awesome. There's so much space for us there, and it seems like it's set up to really maximize small group learning. The collegia lounges are the best thing about the building. Anatomy lab is a little clunky at the moment IMO since it's at CAMLS and in a space that I don't think was really designed to house an anatomy lab. That being said, I haven't been to the building since March and I won't be going back for a few more weeks.

Maybe some upper classmen can chime in, but my understanding of the affiliated hospitals is that it's one of the best clinical settings of the Florida schools. TGH is a huge regional center and I think that Shands and Jackson Memorial are the only other ones in the state that have similar amounts of services and acuity. We have a huge VA as well as a nationally recognized cancer center. I'm not too familiar with Lehigh Valley for SELECT but I've heard it is a great place to rotate at.

3. How is Tampa? Is it possible to live outside the city easily in suburbs and still commute to school?

Yeah you pretty much have to have a car to live here. I don't live in downtown so I can't comment on the life there but plenty of students commute in from farther away.

I am involved in clinical research but I know plenty of students involved in basic science stuff. It's super easy to reach out and get involved with a research mentor. Like I said we have TGH which has a ton of residency programs, so getting on projects with one of them isn't hard at all. Lots of basic science and clinical stuff going on at Moffit as well, you just have to be proactive about it. MS2s just wrapped up summer, and over half the class was involved in school sponsored research projects. The few people that I know that weren't part of that program already have their own significant research going on and didn't need it.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, rising M3 here, I do see a fellow current student on here but thought I'd throw myself out there as well, since I am in SELECT - officially moved to Allentown! - and can answer questions about that. I seem to have missed some messages on here but I think I have updated my settings so I'll should get them, otherwise you are free to send me an email as well at [email protected].

Just to address what I've skimmed so far:
You should be able to apply to both SELECT and CORE and as an OOS student you definitely should. IS you're very unlikely to be in SELECT - think there's like 1 student in my select class from tampa and same amount in the ms2's
Yes, they're a little ranking driven and stuff, which isn't great for applicants but is great for students in terms of - we have a new med school in the hub of tampa which is way cooler than the old campus, lots of more opportunities and research and programs and hopefully money for things; overall as a student i have not noticed terrible competitiveness and stuff in my class; mostly v comradery, although i could be biased bc you surround yourself with people you like, right.
Match list - agreed that you should definitely look at this, but I really do feel like it's people who didn't reach out for help from advisors (we do have really good ones) / applied bad or without backups and stuff. We're officially a top 50 school for research in the US News thing :headphone:

@highway31 Thanks!

Addressing 2/4: Awesome facilities. This leads to increased research opportunities as well. Basically, if you want research, you'll get it. I had to literally turn away research opportunities, and decently often. And Allentown is pretty awesome so far as well. IMO Moffitt is a big strength of ours as well, I mean do other med schools have a hella established cancer center right around the corner? I got SO MUCH cancer exposure(um, not literally). I did a research project in radiation oncology. After turning down research multiple times, I already have multiple abstracts and 2nd / 3rd author pubs, and could get a 1st author one super easily once i just write the damn thing.... hahaha. Also opportunities for basic science, too, I did a wet lab research project.

Addressing 3: Yeah but traffic is annoying. I had 2 good friends who didn't have cars for their first year (but had roommates). I gave them lots of rides. lol. IMO best bet is to live at a place in walking distance to the school and leave your car at the apartment. You should get a car though unless you're ridiculously tight for money. Just not something you should have to worry about in med school. You will have to get to places where you're the only student so can't carpool, but it's not that often. Guess you could uber those places XD

Hello, rising M3 here, I do see a fellow current student on here but thought I'd throw myself out there as well, since I am in SELECT - officially moved to Allentown! - and can answer questions about that. I seem to have missed some messages on here but I think I have updated my settings so I'll should get them, otherwise you are free to send me an email as well at [email protected].

Just to address what I've skimmed so far:
You should be able to apply to both SELECT and CORE and as an OOS student you definitely should. IS you're very unlikely to be in SELECT - think there's like 1 student in my select class from tampa and same amount in the ms2's
Yes, they're a little ranking driven and stuff, which isn't great for applicants but is great for students in terms of - we have a new med school in the hub of tampa which is way cooler than the old campus, lots of more opportunities and research and programs and hopefully money for things; overall as a student i have not noticed terrible competitiveness and stuff in my class; mostly v comradery, although i could be biased bc you surround yourself with people you like, right.
Match list - agreed that you should definitely look at this, but I really do feel like it's people who didn't reach out for help from advisors (we do have really good ones) / applied bad or without backups and stuff. We're officially a top 50 school for research in the US News thing :headphone:

Hey, thanks for your input! I was wondering what your experience has been with SELECT thus far. Also, do you think there aren't many IS for SELECT because of AdCom decision or just too few IS applying because of the tuition difference?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks for your input! I was wondering what your experience has been with SELECT thus far. Also, do you think there aren't many IS for SELECT because of AdCom decision or just too few IS applying because of the tuition difference?
Both probably, but more likely a bigger factor is the decision - i can't imagine there's that few people applying to a program, it is med school and not like people don't apply to more expensive programs OOS. I think part of it is they kinda want people who may want to stay in LV. We have a lot from the northeast, although I guess that could also be just bc there's more people in the northeast...
SELECT's been chill. we basically have class 2-3 hours a week, it's protected time. It's nice to be part of a smaller cohort within the school, and we get 2 coaches that we have 1:1 meetings with monthly and that's so insanely helpful; we learn a bit more intensely about things like the politics of medicine and focusing on interpersonal skills like motivational interviewing and stuff, and sometimes it's a little redundant but overall definitely a great skill to be cultivating especially these days. Last year we did a diabetes simulation (had to pretend we had diabetes! for a couple days) and a poverty simulation (that was pretty cool). We get kinda "guaranteed" research. We haven't officially gone into the hosp yet bc covid but so far everyone up in allentown has been great and I do feel we get a really personalized experience here with just 50 of us. And there's only like max 1 other student rotating with you vs I think in other places / tampa its like 5.
An update, according to my friend who talked to our academic advisor, the people who didn't match last year didn't try to make connections bc they got high step scores and thought they could slide in on step score alone. For reference, last years class had an avg of 238 step, and this year I think they're hoping to break 240. #iwonthavethatproblembcidonothaveahighstepscore

Last edited:
I already submitted my secondary but just got another email to complete a secondary. Did anyone else get this?

Reactions: 5 users
I already submitted my secondary but just got another email to complete a secondary. Did anyone else get this?
+3 , does anyone know if we can delete an uploaded document? they made me nervous that mine was wrong and i accidentally submitted it a second time lol

That email had me like:
1596214838002.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
+4, I just emailed admissions and they said to disregard the email if you had already submitted your secondary app and forms.

Last edited:
Question for OOSers- for the residency form we just need to upload the first page, correct? So I have 1/4 slots used in the document section (more updates I guess?? suck it in staters lol).

Also no complete emails? I'm a little confused because I submitted/payed for the secondary a while ago but just now got around to doing the residency form, so not sure if they could have been reviewing my app during that time or only when that form gets uploaded they're able to look at it.

Last edited:
Question for OOSers- for the residency form we just need to upload the first page, correct? So I have 1/4 slots used in the document section (more updates I guess?? suck it in staters lol).

Also no complete emails? I'm a little confused because I submitted/payed for the secondary a while ago but just now got around to doing the residency form, so not sure if they could have been reviewing my app during that time or only when that form gets uploaded their able to look at.
Yes I just submitted 1/4 forms!

Do you think it's worth writing about obviously suspended activities for the COVID prompt (like suspended hospital volunteering)?

Secondary received in state ;) So excited I love this school

No one has received a complete email, correct?

Well - the portal says "Your application has been submitted and will be reviewed. You will not receive a confirmation e-mail".

this is painfully late but u can look up your voter info online

this is painfully late but u can look up your voter info online
This right here. I actually have an old voter card with the wrong address and I was able to find the address change receipt on a website. They accepted that without issues

Is anyone else not able to access the secondary? Got it a few days ago but it is saying I cannot be authenticated.

Has anyone who applied early decision heard back about interviews yet? Their website says interviews invites will begin in August, and it's already half way through the month.

Hey guys, current MS1 at MCOM. I don't know jack about **** in regards to medicine yet but I did just go through this process and I know a lot more about the curriculum now so feel free to @ me if you have questions. (IS core btw)

Reactions: 2 users
Is the Scholarly Concentrations program mandatory? Does every student have to choose a concentration or is it a optional program?

Is the Scholarly Concentrations program mandatory? Does every student have to choose a concentration or is it a optional program?
It is optional. Technically you have the option to do a scholarly concentration or a colloquium, which is five 2 hour meetings on a particular topic, but you must do one of the two to graduate. That being said I dont know a single person who isnt in a scholarly concentration. It's a great opportunity for networking and boosting residency apps without a ton of commitment.

It is optional. Technically you have the option to do a scholarly concentration or a colloquium, which is five 2 hour meetings on a particular topic, but you must do one of the two to graduate. That being said I dont know a single person who isnt in a scholarly concentration. It's a great opportunity for networking and boosting residency apps without a ton of commitment.
That being said, it seems like most of the professors/upperclassmen are telling us that doing a SCP & colloquium is too big of a commitment and only a handful of students do both in a given year. (even though the colloquium seems cooler). The reason to go with a scp over colloquium is that the scp is more involved & easier to get a capstone project out of. Some upperclassman told me that a friend did a colloquium and is having to scramble in M4 to make a capstone out of thin air.

anyone else interested in more than one of the scholarly concentrations lol? are we only supposed to write about 1?

Hey all, I didn't thing it would be a big deal (when I saw it on paper) but USF having Honors/"high pass"/pass/fail and not P/F has actually become a lot more stressful than I ever thought. Just something to keep in mind.

Hey all, I didn't thing it would be a big deal (when I saw it on paper) but USF having Honors/"high pass"/pass/fail and not P/F has actually become a lot more stressful than I ever thought. Just something to keep in mind.
Are you a current student at USF? I am worried about graded pf schools too :(

hi everyone-
did anyone else have trouble actually submitting the secondary? I just finished filling it out & the submit button at the bottom is greyed out & wont let me click it??? confused lol

hi everyone-
did anyone else have trouble actually submitting the secondary? I just finished filling it out & the submit button at the bottom is greyed out & wont let me click it??? confused lol
ok nevermind. it was because I hadn't typed "N/A" in every single empty box hahah. just fyi in case someone else runs into this :)

hi everyone-
Did you put “N/A“ in the essay boxes that didn’t apply to you?

Just want to make sure I submitted correctly... as OOS all I needed to upload was the top sheet of the residency form?