2020-2021 South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Was yours for SELECT also?
No, I only applied for CORE. I know the prevailing wisdom is that OOS applies for both, but I'm very interested in doing a scholarly concentration (and very not interested in moving to PA).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone on here with an interview scheduled soon started researching how to answer the "why us" question that they will likely ask in the interview? I'm not sure exactly how to answer it, other than just mentioning the new facilities/Tampa being a cool city overall.

i really don't understand what SELECT's focus is on..."emotional intelligence"??? did they really create a whole program for emotional intelligence?? it doesn't make sense. maybe i'm missing something. is it the "leadership" component?
honestly yea lol. SELECT has special sessions like once a week and when they come back they're all like 'that was so stupid' "ok what'd you guys do?" 'We just talked about our feelings for like 2 hours and it was a waste of study time". Also, those sessions are always so early. If you're OOS, they tend to shuffle most of you into select for some reason. idk.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm oos and only applied for core, but got an II for select only! Very excited about the interview but was hoping to stay in Tampa for 4 years, oh well. How are you guys preparing for the SELECT interview?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm oos and only applied for core, but got an II for select only! Very excited about the interview but was hoping to stay in Tampa for 4 years, oh well. How are you guys preparing for the SELECT interview?
just roll with it for now. you can switch out at orientation ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Can you say more about this? Are accepted students allowed to switch tracks early on or something? All the communications I've received seem to indicate that you're kinda locked into either core or select.
just wait til you're in orientation. They might try to give you **** for trying to switch but you're allowed to. Might be harder to switch out of select than into though.

II! Literally shaking first one of the cycle for me

edited w/ info
Complete 7/16, IS, ORM

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I never thought I'd be commenting this, but after 4 years and 3 cycles I've received my first II

Complete 7/13, OOS, ORM/CA. edit: CORE only

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 23 users
II! OOS, ORM, Complete 7/18. Applied CORE only.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you check your application status in the portal? I am having a hard time finding where to check for the AAMC login secondaries.

How do you check your application status in the portal? I am having a hard time finding where to check for the AAMC login secondaries.
All colleges that use AAMC login show "Finished". No way to check status. Colleges that use Amp seem to show status tabs!

II core program IS LM 75 complete 8/19

any idea who they invite for interviews first or what preference they have?

Did anyone email admissions with a question? I’m wondering how long they took to answer.

Or was anyone else in my situation and could tell me how you answered? I have a master’s degree but not from a Master’s Program, so I’m not sure if I should say yes or no. Also, they ask you to specify the program only if you are currently enrolled, right? It seems odd not to ask it from those of us who graduated as well.
I emailed them a week ago and they responded two days later.

If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (2000 characters)

Does anyone have any insight on how to answer this question?

I have B- and below in some elective and some prerequisites, but my two W's were in an elective and a class for my chemistry major. I graduated with sGPA of 3.21 and total GPA of 3.29. I was able to pull myself out of whatever I was going through before my master's in molecular medicine and graduated with a GPA of 3.81.

Majority of my non-competitive grades were in my first two years of undergrad and my W's occurred towards the end of it. But I got straight A's in my grad school except for one B+. Any advice?

Anyone know the OOS Post-II acceptance rate?

What about post-II A for Core?

Does anyone have any insight on how to answer this question?

I have B- and below in some elective and some prerequisites, but my two W's were in an elective and a class for my chemistry major. I graduated with sGPA of 3.21 and total GPA of 3.29. I was able to pull myself out of whatever I was going through before my master's in molecular medicine and graduated with a GPA of 3.81.

Majority of my non-competitive grades were in my first two years of undergrad and my W's occurred towards the end of it. But I got straight A's in my grad school except for one B+. Any advice?

I'm a non-traditional here with a master's and a similar situation. I chose to explain the trends through the years (e.g. lacking intellectual maturity, poor study hygiene, etc) and explicitly wrote about two C's I had, as well.

Just got an email from the Director of Admissions about submitting my residency forms, but they were already uploaded to my application back when I submit in August. Anyone have any insight on this or experience something similar? I went ahead and re-sent them to her, but just curious.

Just got an email from the Director of Admissions about submitting my residency forms, but they were already uploaded to my application back when I submit in August. Anyone have any insight on this or experience something similar? I went ahead and re-sent them to her, but just curious.
I also received the email and had previously submitted my forms already. I did the same and just sent them again just to be safe.

I noticed on the original upload that some of the files did not upload (especially jpeg of license). I thought that was the reason for them to say it was "incomplete" and send that email.

II for CORE program!! OOS, LM 74

if anyone would be interested in a mock interview specifically for USF hml :) just trying to prepare the best I can haha

II received for the CORE program!! OOS and complete on 08/20.

Reactions: 3 users
II for CORE, complete 8/22. humidity in tampa gonna make me look like 7th gate

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
anyone know if the interviews are open or closed file?
I wrote down open in my spreadsheet, you can double-check on the AAMC advisor reports. I feel like this is the case considering one of my interviewers studies something I talked a lot about on my applications.

I wrote down open in my spreadsheet, you can double-check on the AAMC advisor reports. I feel like this is the case considering one of my interviewers studies something I talked a lot about on my applications.
Have you already had your interview?

on MSAR it says core is open file, select is closed file

Have you already had your interview?

I've scheduled it and did a bit of background research on my interviewers (since they send the meeting links in advance). Looks like 1 med student, 1 faculty, 2 admin per 1-hour block, so not exactly what the advisor report stated. This is for CORE, btw.

I've scheduled it and did a bit of background research on my interviewers (since they send the meeting links in advance). Looks like 1 med student, 1 faculty, 2 admin per 1-hour block, so not exactly what the advisor report stated. This is for CORE, btw.
Ok I just got my schedule email too so I was confused about the med student too! Thought it was supposed to be 2 faculty based on the email lol

Ok I just got my schedule email too so I was confused about the med student too! Thought it was supposed to be 2 faculty based on the email lol
Yeah... it's unclear. I guess we'll find out soon, good luck!

Yeah... it's unclear. I guess we'll find out soon, good luck!
I already had my interview. It's two 1-on-1s with a faculty member, but some med students were logged on as well (not speaking, just observing). I was told that they were just there to learn more about how to conduct interviews, so I would guess they are on the junior admissions committee.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I already had my interview. It's two 1-on-1s with a faculty member, but some med students were logged on as well (not speaking, just observing). I was told that they were just there to learn more about how to conduct interviews, so I would guess they are on the junior admissions committee.
Appreciate the info, and best of luck! :D

Thanks for letting us know! So both were with faculty -- was it opened or closed file?
You know? It was hard to tell. They didn't bring up anything specifically from my application that I didn't bring up first, to be honest.

• Wow
random thought but seems like this school sends interviews exclusively in order of stats lol

random thought but seems like this school sends interviews exclusively in order of stats lol
In that case I should expect my interview sometime next year ☠️

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
How soon before the interview day are people getting their interview schedule? Mine is within a week and haven't heard anything.

How soon before the interview day are people getting their interview schedule? Mine is within a week and haven't heard anything.
I had scheduled mine out a bit due to exams and it’s about a week out now and I’ve already received the info on time, the Microsoft teams links, etc

A couple people asked about the "explain low grades" question and I just wanna add that I didn't even answer it re: my one B- that I received because I didn't have an explanation beyond "I didn't do well", and I still got a II

Does USF say anything about not sending thank you emails? Id like to be polite but not sure if itll tick someone off