2020-2021 South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the acceptance off of the CORE waitlist! I've been weeping for about 20 minutes or so, wow😭😭😭😭😭

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
What month did you interview?
From my understanding the acceptance form the WL has little to do with when you interviewed because I was accepted off the WL really early even tho I submitted secondaries pretty late and interviewed late in the cycle. I think it is more of a rolling process depending on if the accepted student from the WL decides to commit to enroll in 2 weeks. So I think there is still 2 weeks time for more A from WL.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding the acceptance form the WL has little to do with when you interviewed because I was accepted off the WL really early even tho I submitted secondaries pretty late and interviewed late in the cycle. I think it is more of a rolling process depending on if the accepted student from the WL decides to commit to enroll in 2 weeks. So I think there is still 2 weeks time for more A from WL.
Damn I really hope so. this is my top choice and Im praying to get in. I wish I knew what more I could have done to get accepted here :(

And SELECT starts a week before Core and goes through most of the summer and Core does not. Why? Are we at least getting some sort of certificate out of it that looks good for residency?
The select students start about a week early for something called "prologue" which is just an introduction to select and getting to know your small group, stuff like that. Basically just an extra orientation. It probably doesn't need to be as long as it is, but it was nice to get a head start on making friends and learning your way around.

Like ChocolateChipCookiez mentioned, the summer schedule is pretty misleading. It reflects the fact that you will be completing your "summer immersion" project over the summer as a select student. In reality, every medical student in the country is doing some type of project over the summer in order to bolster their CV for residency applications. The Select program just likes to spell it out on the schedule.

As a select student, once you complete your year end exam (May 12 for us this year), you are on your own until prologue 2 begins in late July (July 21 for me). During that time you need to complete your summer project which includes a minimum of ~200 hours, verified by your mentor. You and your mentor can decide how/when you complete your project during the summer.

No chance anyone has the SOAP rates for Select and Core individually? Also who can I talk to about this more?

Awesome! How much can you speak to the possible connections and networking in FL (and PA if you know). Good hospitals? Helpful attendings? Good specialty exposure; possible elective rotations? Trauma exposure? Are hospitals actually in Tampa/ Allentown, or elsewhere where you have to drive to and find somewhere to live 6 weeks (for ex.) at? Do residents and fellows take over or do students get to participate?
Anyone know if they have good pulm crit attendings?
As a CORE M2, I can only say so much about clinicals: networking and connections is very easy as the USF Health Network is HUGE. Again, hopefully someone else can answer your specific questions regarding clinical exposure and attending stuff. All the hospitals are 10-25 min away except for the children's hospital I think (maybe a couple weeks max at 40ish minutes away). That's all I got...

And your other question about scholarships: I personally have a partial; don't want to get too specific. From the little I know and have heard, SELECT is very generous while CORE is generous, but I'd reach out to financial aid for concrete numbers.

As a CORE M2, I can only say so much about clinicals: networking and connections is very easy as the USF Health Network is HUGE. Again, hopefully someone else can answer your specific questions regarding clinical exposure and attending stuff. All the hospitals are 10-25 min away except for the children's hospital I think (maybe a couple weeks max at 40ish minutes away). That's all I got...

And your other question about scholarships: I personally have a partial; don't want to get too specific. From the little I know and have heard, SELECT is very generous while CORE is generous, but I'd reach out to financial aid for concrete numbers.
You're the GOAT. Thanks for all your help. Hope PA also has a good network system. Can I get your thoughts on the SOAP issue?

I think the 19th is day 1 for select. Got my aid like 3 weeks ago and was accepted in October. I don't think yours will take longer than a few weeks.
Only thing is the dean gave me 2 weeks to decide and I need the fin aid package soon. Thanks for your help:)

Only thing is the dean gave me 2 weeks to decide and I need the fin aid package soon. Thanks for your help:)
Not just that. They also said the acceptance letter comes in 2 weeks in the mail. So we have to commit before even seeing the letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not just that. They also said the acceptance letter comes in 2 weeks in the mail. So we have to commit before even seeing the letter.
Well he did mention to me we could ask for extensions if needed.
I liked this when I saw it on their website: "It is okay if you are offered a position off the waitlist for the fall class from USF Health MCOM and are holding an acceptance at another institution. We will work with you so you can make an informed decision about your medical education. We ask that you communicate with our office any concerns or time extensions you may need during this time."

I emailed the admissions email on Friday and hope for a response tomorrow. I hope we are able to communicate efficiently and quickly since we have a narrow window. Also do you recall if he said we need to drop other As and PTE to USF, or does he want us to CTE within two weeks

Well he did mention to me we could ask for extensions if needed.
I liked this when I saw it on their website: "It is okay if you are offered a position off the waitlist for the fall class from USF Health MCOM and are holding an acceptance at another institution. We will work with you so you can make an informed decision about your medical education. We ask that you communicate with our office any concerns or time extensions you may need during this time."

I emailed the admissions email on Friday and hope for a response tomorrow. I hope we are able to communicate efficiently and quickly since we have a narrow window. Also do you recall if he said we need to drop other As and PTE to USF, or does he want us to CTE within two weeks
I did PTE anyways just in case. However, he did say that the normal deadline does not apply to us who got A from the WL. He said the only deadline was CTE in 2 weeks. I didn't hear him say anything about an extension but if they say it on their website then it probably is true but do double check anyways. I plan on calling them sometime next week to ask some questions because they did not get back to my past emails.

You're the GOAT. Thanks for all your help. Hope PA also has a good network system. Can I get your thoughts on the SOAP issue?
I did a long write up on this earlier in the thread. Don't remember which page it's on, but the jist of it has been echoed here since then (some outliers yes, but many issues with low/failing boards, applying to a specialty that's too competitive for you without a backup plan against advice, poor sub-I performance/attitude on rotations. Obviously, this year went better than last - we were told that was just an anomaly and it seems to be the case. Hopefully, a downward trend begins now.

Academic advising gave us a presentation on USF SOAP data early this school year which I based my write up on, so my guess is they'll do the same in July/August. I don't know any numbers beyond the public match list. Oh, another big issue last year was A LOT of ppl from USF applying for a certain specialty/program (this makes it important to apply smart/broadly so you're not competing against 10+ of your peers at a spot you love while not ranking enough beyond your faves that others may share).

In order to accept my acceptance to USF and commit, is pressing the "commit to enroll" button on AMCAS the only thing I have to do? Like is that an official acceptance of their offer in USF's eyes or is there an additional step? I remember him saying in my acceptance phone call off the waitlist that I would receive an email within an hour after... but still haven't received anything. I don't know if there's something else I need to do in order to commit that would've been told to me in that email? Sorry if this was worded weirdly I wasn't really sure how to put what I was thinking into words haha.

In order to accept my acceptance to USF and commit, is pressing the "commit to enroll" button on AMCAS the only thing I have to do? Like is that an official acceptance of their offer in USF's eyes or is there an additional step? I remember him saying in my acceptance phone call off the waitlist that I would receive an email within an hour after... but still haven't received anything. I don't know if there's something else I need to do in order to commit that would've been told to me in that email? Sorry if this was worded weirdly I wasn't really sure how to put what I was thinking into words haha.
I got my phone call on Friday and all he told me was about accepting the offer online and that’s it! I ended up doing CTE instead of PTE because USF was always my top choice. All I did afterwards was decline my other admissions offer and email the two schools that I’m on the WL for to remove me. I haven’t received any email from USF and was just told that the acceptance letter would come in the mail in like two weeks.

I think we’ll be good.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, I think someone posted earlier that it took two weeks to get the email but they had to email admissions to remind them to send it.

I got my phone call on Friday and all he told me was about accepting the offer online and that’s it! I ended up doing CTE instead of PTE because USF was always my top choice. All I did afterwards was decline my other admissions offer and email the two schools that I’m on the WL for to remove me. I haven’t received any email from USF and was just told that the acceptance letter would come in the mail in like two weeks.

I think we’ll be good.
Can you DM me? I would love to hear your reasoning behind why you ultimately chose USF.

Just got the background check email this morning! So for anyone who was recently accepted off the WL, you’ll probably be getting it too!

Just got the acceptance call for select. Was put on waiting list 2 weeks ago. interviewed march12th :)

Reactions: 6 users
Do you think that the email in the background check is automatic? Because it says u are getting the email because u are in the WL or conditionally accepted. Why would someone in the WL do background check.

Do you think that the email in the background check is automatic? Because it says u are getting the email because u are in the WL or conditionally accepted. Why would someone in the WL do background check.
Some schools give it to WL applicants in the event someone gets accepted like right before school starts

To anyone who has gotten the acceptance letter already, does it say that we need to send them our official transcripts?

Did anyone else get an email saying thank you for confirming your intent to enroll if accepted? I just got it a few minutes ago

just got an email reply to my LOI but the email was blank unless my phone was glitching

Pretty sure they just replied to all LOI emails lol. I wouldn't look too much into it, as long as everyone received the same response .

• Sad
I don't know if anyone else clarified this but I just called and checked -- recently admitted students have 2 weeks to PTE, but have until July 5th to CTE. Other than the background check we just wait for our admissions packet to arrive to figure out what the next steps are. Hope this helps!

Yeah Michelle just finally got to all of our LOIs that we submitted 2 weeks ago lol

Pretty sure they just replied to all LOI emails lol. I wouldn't look too much into it, as long as everyone received the same response .
Mine was one sentence.

I don't know if anyone else clarified this but I just called and checked -- recently admitted students have 2 weeks to PTE, but have until July 5th to CTE. Other than the background check we just wait for our admissions packet to arrive to figure out what the next steps are. Hope this helps!
I was also going to call them but I guess I don't need anymore. Did you ask any questions about when we will get our financial aid information?

Got the A off the SELECT waitlist today! Interviewed in October.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just got the call.... from Tampa electric to ask if I wanted an $8/month surge protector on my meter.... 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
withdrew my SELECT acceptance. good luck to those on the WL!

• Love