2020-2021 South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current students who were in between schools? How did you choose USF?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone accepted!! Did you guys send in letters of intent prior to being pulled off the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone accepted!! Did you guys send in letters of intent prior to being pulled off the waitlist?
I did send a very personalized one but not sure it had any impact.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent a good, personalized one and thought it was great, but im still WLed so... lol... :(

Reactions: 2 users
So we should plan to enroll today? How long do we have until commit to enroll? because I want to get the acceptance mail first before doing anything.

I sent one at the end of February and didn’t get a confirmation email till the end of March.

Reactions: 1 users
So we should plan to enroll today? How long do we have until commit to enroll? because I want to get the acceptance mail first before doing anything.
Dr Daniel told me today that I had two weeks to decide since the offer of acceptance was made today. As soon as USF pops up on my select a school tool thing, I’m accepting it.

Withdrew my SELECT WL position today. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Daniel also said I would be getting the acceptance packet in the mail in like two weeks

I wasn't able to go to second look. Does anyone who went have any important highlights? Does anyone know how often there are tests in the CORE program?

I wasn't able to go to second look. Does anyone who went have any important highlights? Does anyone know how often there are tests in the CORE program?
Nothing completely lifechanging, you'll catch up quickly in orientation. Main things that stood out to me was the RISE office that helps you find research. I think there are 2-3 quizzes and 1 final for each block, where the quizzes are in-house and final is NBME style.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off the SELECT waitlist today!! Interviewed in mid March, sent a letter of intent earlier this week.

Nothing completely lifechanging, you'll catch up quickly in orientation. Main things that stood out to me was the RISE office that helps you find research. I think there are 2-3 quizzes and 1 final for each block, where the quizzes are in-house and final is NBME style.
Did they tell you near which campus to look for housing? Because there is 2 right? (one is new by the bay and the older one is inland)

Accepted off the SELECT waitlist today!! Interviewed in mid March, sent a letter of intent earlier this week.
Were you called just now, or earlier in the day?

also thanks for the replies to my earlier post y’all!

For me it was the cost and location. The two other schools i got into were private and in cities with much higher costs of living. Plus, I just like Tampa a lot more
I just looked at some of the housing options (apartments) near the new campus and OH MY GOD is it expensive.

Did they tell you near which campus to look for housing? Because there is 2 right? (one is new by the bay and the older one is inland)
They didn't tell us but we'll only be using the new school by the water. I think most students live in the channelside or bayshore area.

When I accept USF's offer I have to withdraw my name from the waitlist at other schools right? Do I have to email the schools or do I just click the withdraw button on their portals?

When I accept USF's offer I have to withdraw my name from the waitlist at other schools right? Do I have to email the schools or do I just click the withdraw button on their portals?
Since it is Apr 30 and beyond now, you must hold only one A and plan to enroll. You can hold on to waitlists until USF's specific Commit to enroll date which is July 5 i believe. And you should email them directly.

Is anyone concerned about the SOAP data?
I have been following that discussion on and off throughout this year on this forum. My takeaway was that the resources to help student is there but that the students are not being on top it or the staff are not reaching out enough. I saw this year's match list and it was okay (little hope tho if you wanna be an orthoped or neurosurgeon). But USF MCOM has a good ranking.

I have been following that discussion on and off throughout this year on this forum. My takeaway was that the resources to help student is there but that the students are not being on top it or the staff are not reaching out enough. I saw this year's match list and it was okay (little hope tho if you wanna be an orthoped or neurosurgeon). But USF MCOM has a good ranking.
I didn't think their ortho was that bad (5 matches I think?). But that was based off their 2021 new released match data, not the MSAR one. I actually don't know which is more accurate but I would assume the USF released one.

I didn't think their ortho was that bad (5 matches I think?). But that was based off their 2021 new released match data, not the MSAR one. I actually don't know which is more accurate but I would assume the USF released one.
Oh that is not too bad. I didn't see any neurosurgery match but I saw some "research year" so it could be people who are taking a year off for research to prep for competitive specialties (which is common for example for derm too). I am not sure if the SOAP data is combined with internal medicine or if it is the "transition year" data.

Current MS2 about to take Step 1; come to MCOM lol! Awesome city, beautiful weather (except rainy summer afternoons) with tons to do nearby no matter what you enjoy (except mountains haha).

My favorite part is that you can get whatever you want from this school with PLENTY of time to enjoy doing whatever else you like. There are TONS of research/faculty/mentor connections in any field. Honors grading is really there as a little reward for some, but by no means is it a detriment to just Pass. After all, that's what every P/F school ends up putting on their student's transcripts. Program directors couldn't care less about preclinical; everyone knows that Boards (Step 2 for y'all really), Clinical grades, LORs, Research, and Aways are what get you in the programs you want, not "Honors in GI/Repro/Endo"
Do you know if your comments on that MCOM has little busy work is true for Select as well?

Congrats to everyone getting accepted from the WL, I still remember how exciting that call was! And yes they asked for my SSN too and I thought it was a scam.

Do you know if your comments on that MCOM has little busy work is true for Select as well?
Select M1 here, we have a small amount of busy work for the class but it's pretty insignificant. Basically zero prep for each weekly session, a few SP encounters during the year, a couple small projects.

any current SELECT students on here i can talk to?
Yeah feel free to ask here or in a private message, happy to answer whatever. We have final exams starting Monday but I'll check in.

Is anyone concerned about the SOAP data?
I might be biased because I'm already at USF but I'm not worried. We were what, a few percentage points higher than national average? I'm leaning towards radiology right now and two M4 friends going that route matched to Mayo and Mass Gen this year which tells me that your performance as an individual is all you need to worry about. If you are the kind of medical student that would have matched ortho from a T10, then you will still match ortho from USF.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
@Bre
Is everything currently at the new campus downtown or do you go for somethings to the old campus? (Or if everything was online for you this year, since you are MS1, do you have any info on how it will be in the coming semester?)

And just one curious question, has USF MCOM said anything about students getting vaccinated?

@Bre
Is everything currently at the new campus downtown or do you go for somethings to the old campus? (Or if everything was online for you this year, since you are MS1, do you have any info on how it will be in the coming semester?)

And just one curious question, has USF MCOM said anything about students getting vaccinated?
Everything is downtown, no need to ever go to old campus. Some things are at CAMLS though, which is also downtown.
WYM about students getting vaccinated? They didn't do anything for pre-clinical students and we didn't get it til the general public did.
No idea if M2 will be online or in person for us next year. There's very little mandatory next year anyways so I don't anticipate being on campus much in any case.

Everything is downtown, no need to ever go to old campus. Some things are at CAMLS though, which is also downtown.
WYM about students getting vaccinated? They didn't do anything for pre-clinical students and we didn't get it til the general public did.
No idea if M2 will be online or in person for us next year. There's very little mandatory next year anyways so I don't anticipate being on campus much in any case.
Even in a non-COVID year, do most students watch the lectures at home? Live/recorded?

Most watch from home asynchronously for sure. Lecture attendance gradually decreases after course 1.
Awesome! How much can you speak to the possible connections and networking in FL (and PA if you know). Good hospitals? Helpful attendings? Good specialty exposure; possible elective rotations? Trauma exposure? Are hospitals actually in Tampa/ Allentown, or elsewhere where you have to drive to and find somewhere to live 6 weeks (for ex.) at? Do residents and fellows take over or do students get to participate?
Anyone know if they have good pulm crit attendings?

@Bre

I agree with everything Doctor Snowbucket said. You don't go to the old med school at all. However the Moffitt Cancer Center is next to the old med school and some people do research there.

For vaccines I think USF MCOM was pretty prompt about getting the M3 and M4 students vaccinated, but as M1s we were low priority. Eventually the VA hospital had some extra doses so they contacted USF MCOM and offered to vaccinate us and admin let us know.
Even in a non-COVID year, do most students watch the lectures at home? Live/recorded?
I don't know for sure what it looks like in a non-Covid year. The lectures we have fall into two categories: normal and "Engaged Learning" (EL). The EL lectures are mandatory and normal lectures are not. Will the EL classes be in person next year? I don't know. Even if they are you can just sit in the back and do your own thing. The average week has a few EL classes and mostly non-mandatory classes. There is usually anatomy once per week during M1 that is mandatory in-person.

I recently visited Pocono, Allentown, and lehigh valley (without knowing that's where select goes) so I can share some impressions for those who can't visit. Allentown itself was very diverse and had modern little town vibes (it's actually surprisingly big city and doesn't feel like middle of nowhere. It had some modern streets and the food was good with lots of Asian and Middle Eastern restaurants as well). As for the surrounding area if you have a car you can visit some really beautiful mountains and scenic tree farms (Also great spot for skiing in winter of you are into that). Overall it's a very nice and beautiful area if you enjoy nature and good weather. However the only concern is that it didn't look like a place with too many opportunities for networking or research. So i wonder if you have a research from Tampa you may need to do it remotely or just give up on it?
I also doubt you will get many serious trauma cases so i am a little concerned about the quality of the clinical experience there.

• Love
I recently visited Pocono, Allentown, and lehigh valley (without knowing that's where select goes) so I can share some impressions for those who can't visit. Allentown itself was very diverse and had modern little town vibes (it's actually surprisingly big city and doesn't feel like middle of nowhere. It had some modern streets and the food was good with lots of Asian and Middle Eastern restaurants as well). As for the surrounding area if you have a car you can visit some really beautiful mountains and scenic tree farms (Also great spot for skiing in winter of you are into that). Overall it's a very nice and beautiful area if you enjoy nature and good weather. However the only concern is that it didn't look like a place with too many opportunities for networking or research. So i wonder if you have a research from Tampa you may need to do it remotely or just give up on it?
I also doubt you will get many serious trauma cases so i am a little concerned about the quality of the clinical experience there.
This makes the clinical experience actually look decent

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
And SELECT starts a week before Core and goes through most of the summer and Core does not. Why? Are we at least getting some sort of certificate out of it that looks good for residency?

Not 100% sure why SELECT starts earlier, but I know that the summer bit is just so you can do research during that time; it's not entirely structured so it's more of a protected research time for you. The same basically applies to Core but for some reason they haven't put it on the schedule. Might be because if you choose not to do a scholarly concentration then technically you don't have to do summer research.
Select students don't do scholarly concentrations, correct? There is a built in certificate program?

Just got the A call for CORE! OOS interviewed December

• Love
Reactions: 6 users