2020-2021 Southern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah same and now the panic has really settled šŸ˜…
I wouldn't worry about too much yet since it seems that nobody has heard back...at least from this thread and the people I know

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you that got accepted to LSP what do you think helped you get in? I'm super int in that program

For those of you that got accepted to LSP what do you think helped you get in? I'm super int in that program
I had experience in rural and underserved but not like a crazy amount. I just made it clear in my essay and interview that i am really interested in rural medicine! You should deff apply because i am pretty sure they have more seats open rn!!

Members don't see this ad :)
How likely do you guys think it is to still get accepted off AWPA?
I think there is still some waitlist movement to happen. It is a small class of matriculants at 80, but to get their class they give about 140 acceptances. As the post 4/30/21 "horse trading" starts some students may be trading Southern for Northwestern etc. I think applicants at the higher end of the MCAT scores are well positioned. At this point Southern can see on the AAMC portal applicants that have an acceptance. Schools really differ I do not know how Southern evaluates applicants that are not currently showing an acceptance in the AAMC portal and if they prioritize them or not as they may want to provide waitlist acceptances to those they think have a high likelihood to actually accept and attend. I had a friend actually get called by Midwestern 3 days before classes started, they said they accept they are on their way asap, and will sleep in their car until they can find an apartment. Stay positive, the waiting really stinks, but when good things happen you will appreciate it even more.

Reactions: 1 users
if anyone else is in the same boat as me (waitlists only, no acceptances), I would encourage you to try not to get your hopes up too much. that way if you do get accepted it'll be a pleasant surprise, but if you do not get in anywhere you will already have prepared for this outcome. just one perspective but that's how I'm trying to think about it at this point to stay sane

do we think Beth would let us know if most of the movement has slowed/if they are still anticipating offering a significant number of acceptances?

Reactions: 1 user
if anyone else is in the same boat as me (waitlists only, no acceptances), I would encourage you to try not to get your hopes up too much. that way if you do get accepted it'll be a pleasant surprise, but if you do not get in anywhere you will already have prepared for this outcome. just one perspective but that's how I'm trying to think about it at this point to stay sane
Ice Cheems, we are really pulling for you! Stay positive. You are so right it is hard not to get hopes up, anyone getting even an interview is having a good cycle. Motivate MD was a very cost effective site where former and current med students along with DOAs and a couple doctors get paid a very nominal, token fee to review essays and do interview prep. With the cost of medical school if that service puts a candidate over the hump good investment of time and money. Everyone is looking for that little bit more of an edge to improve candidacy. I thought they were solid and responsive without breaking the bank in particular on VITA prep practice and mock interview video feedback, humbling as it may be along with the structure of extracurriculars and volunteerism.

Last edited:
  • Care
Your stats are very strong, you may want to send a LOI to let SIU know they are not going to lose you to another school if given a precious "A". In the correspondence stress your experience and commitment to rural medicine and you intent to practice in central/southern IL which is in desperate need of quality physicians. All the more power in your candidacy!

Your stats are very strong, you may want to send a LOI to let SIU know they are not going to lose you to another school if given a precious "A". In the correspondence stress your experience and commitment to rural medicine and you intent to practice in central/southern IL which is in desperate need of quality physicians. All the more power in your candidacy!
I already sent my letter of intent to UICOM :( I'm also not super interested in rural medicine, but I did send an update letter to them back in February and applied for the MPH dual degree. I think I've done all I can at this point

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be withdrawing my acceptance so I hope you all hear something soon!

Reactions: 6 users
Ok so Beth replied and said they are still seeing movement on AWPA happen so hopefully thereā€™s still hope

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Has anybody been accepted since April 30th? I thought most movement happens after that date.

Has anybody been accepted since April 30th? I thought most movement happens after that date.
Thatā€™s what i thought too thatā€™s why Iā€™m confused. Iā€™m not sure if others that donā€™t use SDN are getting the Aā€™s or what is happening really but hopefully something soon!?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I wanted to check in with my fellow Illinoisans. How's everyone doing? How's has the cycle been? It seems like such small movement from SIU which is a huge let down. I'm excited because I have another acceptance, but still wanted to come here and be encouraging and remind everyone that the cycle is still not over. Waitlist/AWPA movement can happen as late as classes start. You got this!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I wanted to check in with my fellow Illinoisans. How's everyone doing? How's has the cycle been? It seems like such small movement from SIU which is a huge let down. I'm excited because I have another acceptance, but still wanted to come here and be encouraging and remind everyone that the cycle is still not over. Waitlist/AWPA movement can happen as late as classes start. You got this!
Remember SIU only has 80 seats available, so less movement than perhaps schools with a higher number of seats. Their yield is pretty strong at 138 acceptances for 80 seats. Well under 2:1 which is stronger than many schools. Several Schools had their 1st batch of waitlist acceptances late last week, perhaps SIU is waiting to see how those shake out and take a look in the portal to see which of their remaining applicants have acceptances or plan or committal to enroll elsewhere. It seems likely SIU will have some additional waitlist movement the next couple weeks in particular for those that have expressed continued interest.

Just withdrew my acceptance at SIU, best of luck to everyone here still waiting šŸ€

• Love
Just withdrew my acceptance at SIU, best of luck to everyone here still waiting.
LOVE the moniker Phosphofructokinase-1, studying for the MCAT must have really stuck with you! Most of us still see glycolysis in our sleep, nightmares :> Good luck with your better fit, are you headed to Feinberg or Pritzker? Staying in state?

are we to the point where acceptances are few and far between?

are we to the point where acceptances are few and far between?
Iā€™m wondering the same thing... Iā€™m at the point where Iā€™m about to sign a lease in early June for my gap year plans and really need to know. Do you think Beth is able to give any guidance? At this point I just want to know

Iā€™m wondering the same thing... Iā€™m at the point where Iā€™m about to sign a lease in early June for my gap year plans and really need to know. Do you think Beth is able to give any guidance? At this point I just want to know
just wanted to say I'm in the same boat for possibly moving and signing a lease in July. really stressful not knowing if we can fully commit or not :(

I'm a little confused about SIU's MCAT policy. Their website says they consider MCAT scores no more than 2 years old at the time of application, but give the example of "i.e., 2019 MCAT scores are the oldest considered for 2020." I'm looking to apply again in May 2022 since I don't have anything new to speak of yet. Does this mean my July 2020 MCAT will not be valid? :( It won't be 2 years old at the time I apply, but will be at time of matriculation.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused about SIU's MCAT policy. Their website says they consider MCAT scores no more than 2 years old at the time of application, but give the example of "i.e., 2019 MCAT scores are the oldest considered for 2020." I'm looking to apply again in May 2022 since I don't have anything new to speak of yet. Does this mean my July 2020 MCAT will not be valid? :( It won't be 2 years old at the time I apply, but will be at time of matriculation.
based on the application requirements page, i think the scores just have to be less that two years old at the time of application

Iā€™ve already committed haha I knew I wanted to attend if I got accepted!
I was of course just kidding about the 9 days, certainly we did not want you to miss your 7 day deadline.... to much a sense of humor helps in the process. Thought I saw you post earlier at 507 and a 3.75 GPA you were really hoping combined with your other elements of the app you could get an "A", glad it worked out for you and you must be overjoyed.

I am emailing Beth today to see if there has been anymore movement recently or if we should expect to reapply

Reactions: 4 users
I am emailing Beth today to see if there has been anymore movement recently or if we should expect to reapply
Beth said that movement has decreased and there hasnā€™t been any since the beginning of last week. She thinks itā€™s about the time to reapply and go with your ā€œPlan Bā€ for this year

Just wanted to post an update on whoever May be hopeful still, assuming our class size is 72, then there are 4 people who havenā€™t been added or have joined the FB class group!

Has anyone emailed admissions for feedback? Who did you email and how did it go?

ATTENTION ACCEPTED STUDENTS: Is anyone from the Chicago suburbs accepted to SIU? Just trying to decide if I should apply here this cycle

Hi all, not sure if any will still be following this thread, but I have a question. I emailed Beth a bit ago to get some app feedback, and she essentially told me that they saw unusually less movement on the AWPA list this cycle. However, she did say they will still keep pulling from AWPA until the incoming class matriculates in August.

Similarly, I'm waitlisted at UICOM and have heard that all of their campuses are completely full and it's hard for even accepted students to change campus locations currently. But, UICOM's waitlist letter stated that "Candidates on the waitlist may be offered a seat at any point until the week before classes begin on August 16, 2021."

I'm sort of in a pickle because my current housing ends on Aug. 14th and both SIU and UICOM start classes on Aug. 16th. I'm wondering when is the latest I can sign a new lease so that 1) I don't get caught with a year's worth of rent expenses if I did get off the waitlist last minute, yet 2) I also won't be homeless with nowhere to stay near my job if I don't get off the waitlist, lol. I'm curious what any of you who are in similar situations are doing for housing, or any other advice you can give me.

Hi all, not sure if any will still be following this thread, but I have a question. I emailed Beth a bit ago to get some app feedback, and she essentially told me that they saw unusually less movement on the AWPA list this cycle. However, she did say they will still keep pulling from AWPA until the incoming class matriculates in August.

Similarly, I'm waitlisted at UICOM and have heard that all of their campuses are completely full and it's hard for even accepted students to change campus locations currently. But, UICOM's waitlist letter stated that "Candidates on the waitlist may be offered a seat at any point until the week before classes begin on August 16, 2021."

I'm sort of in a pickle because my current housing ends on Aug. 14th and both SIU and UICOM start classes on Aug. 16th. I'm wondering when is the latest I can sign a new lease so that 1) I don't get caught with a year's worth of rent expenses if I did get off the waitlist last minute, yet 2) I also won't be homeless with nowhere to stay near my job if I don't get off the waitlist, lol. I'm curious what any of you who are in similar situations are doing for housing, or any other advice you can give me.
Can't speak to SIU, but UICOM over-enrolled for this year's class and is now offering scholarships in hopes that students defer a year. Hope this helps shed at least a bit of clarity on the situation.

• Wow

I will be enrolling at UICOM this year and know of a place that does month-to-month lease in Peoria if that's any help. Let me know if you need the info. Good luck!

Can't speak to SIU, but UICOM over-enrolled for this year's class and is now offering scholarships in hopes that students defer a year. Hope this helps shed at least a bit of clarity on the situation.
If I can add anything to this, I also believe they are offering tuition reductions for those who are willing to change campus assignments.

Wow thatā€™s wild, I feel awful for the students in that situation if no one wants to defer and the school chooses for them or something šŸ˜•

In other crazy news, I got the call this morning that I was pulled off the waitlist at SIU!! Iā€™m glad now that I didnā€™t sign a 12 month lease in Chicago šŸ˜³ Hopefully I can get paperwork, financial aid, and housing all sorted in the next two weeks!

• Love
Wow thatā€™s wild, I feel awful for the students in that situation if no one wants to defer and the school chooses for them or something šŸ˜•

In other crazy news, I got the call this morning that I was pulled off the waitlist at SIU!! Iā€™m glad now that I didnā€™t sign a 12 month lease in Chicago šŸ˜³ Hopefully I can get paperwork, financial aid, and housing all sorted in the next two weeks!
Holy smokes that's awesome, congrats future Dr. ice cheems, MD!

• Care

OH MY GOSH, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

• Love