2020 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The match will most likely go to someone they have as a back up.
Ah okay, so would that mean I would lose the associate position?

Members don't see this ad.

Ah okay, so would that mean I would lose the associate position?

In some cases, yes. I wouldn’t be afraid of emailing. I saw in a previous forum that one woman got a second offer so it seems possible but not guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I got matched in Los Angeles, CA for Tuberculosis Prevention! If anyone else has a match in LA feel free to message me! :) And congrats to everyone!

Hi! I was also matched in Los Angeles. I will be working on Immunizations/Vaccine Preventable Disease Investigation! Congrats to you! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Good question! I’d like to know if everyone got placed within their top five preference as well. Hopefully, someone will answer this for us.

Congratulations again for those who have received placement

I was placed in my first choice! (Los Angeles, CA) Best of luck to all of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who's been placed! Does anyone have a sense as to whether the people who have matched so far had earlier interview dates?

Congrats to everyone who's been placed! Does anyone have a sense as to whether the people who have matched so far had earlier interview dates?
I interviewed on the 14th if that helps!

My interview was on the 13th

Is this a Facebook already for PHAP 2020? If not, we should make one

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they have sent by region? Has anyone heard from New York or the Midwest?

Congratulations everyone that received your locations!!! The stress of not knowing is finally over for you.. however, I’m not so lucky. I still haven’t received Anything. I guess I’ll continue to pull my hair out, lol.

For those who have received a location, did you get placed in an area in your top 5?
There is still plenty of time! and Virginia was my 2nd choice so yes, top 5. :)

Hi! I recently received a match but it didn't necessarily match my preferences due to some family constraints. Does anyone (like past PHAP) know what would happen if I declined the match?

DM me! I'm in a similar situation and I spoke to them and they were helpful.

Does anyone happen to know when we'll find out our host site's name? :thumbup: ty!

Does anyone happen to know when we'll find out our host site's name? :thumbup: ty!

Probably not for a while. I believe we didn't get ours last year until around 8 weeks after the first offers went out because the host sites haven't been notified of the match yet. The way I understood it was they wait to tell the host sites until everyone has accepted a position (including all the rejected positions filled with a new person) and hopefully passed your first steps of the security screening, then, once the host site knows you're coming, they tell you your host site name. So be looking for that email around early to mid August.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if they will be doing a second wave of offers? I had a great interview however, I have not received and offer. I’m very anxious and would like to know if any previous PHAP know how they do the offers.
Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know if they will be doing a second wave of offers? I had a great interview however, I have not received and offer. I’m very anxious and would like to know if any previous PHAP know how they do the offers.
Thanks in advance!

Breanna,

The offer phase is set to go through August. That leaves all of June, July, and into August for offers. I would not count yourself out so early. From what I understand, due to so many issues taking place right now socially, health-wise etc, it is taking a bit more time. Also, they are really doing their best to place people as close to their choices as possible. This is the first cycle where we are actually asked what state we want as opposed to the region.

Take heart and keep the faith! If you move on, you will receive an email with a tentative offer for location and a link. Pay attention to the efms site. This where the offer is. If you agree to the location you will then receive a call. Keep in mind, this is a general location, no specifics such as host site or contacts.

I spoke with the coordinator for my offer, and they said that this is both behind and ahead. It is ahead in that they have early immediate connections made, but behind due to all the limitations of work from home and the locations currently undergoing local issues. Also, some folks have received offers and turned them down to concerns over safety, cost of travel and living, and other things. When this happens, they put the location back into the cycle, and then, try and match them with new applicants. As for what happens with applicants who turn down the offer, it seems to be entirely dependent on the reasons and your qualifications as to whether or not they will consider you for a second chance.

Think longer-term, big picture when you decide. The pay starts low, but the increase from GS5 to GS7 is 1 year. Should one decide to keep on, GS9 is only a year or so away. Can you take the location, pay, and other issues in return for the opportunity to work in the CDC. Those with families have tough choices to make. Individuals have others such as the cost to move, first last, and deposit for rent and other aspects. After a year it gets better and after 2 even more so.

Again, for everyone, this is a long process, so don't count yourself out so early!

JD

Edit: Clarity

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Breanna,

The offer phase is set to go through August. That leaves all of June, July, and into August for offers. I would not count yourself out so early. From what I understand, due to so many issues taking place right now socially, health-wise etc, it is taking a bit more time. Also, they are really doing their best to place people as close to their choices as possible. This is the first cycle where we are actually asked what state we want as opposed to the region.

Take heart and keep the faith! If you move on, you will receive an email with a tentative offer and a link. Pay attention to the efms site. This where the offer is. You will then receive a call. I spoke with mine and they said that this is both behind and ahead. It is ahead in that they have early immediate connections made, but behind due to all the limitations of work from home and the locations currently undergoing local issues. Some folks have received offers and turned them down to concerns over safety, cost of travel and living, and other things. When this happens, they put the location back into cycle, and then, try and match them with new applicants.

Again, for everyone, this is a long process, so don't count yourself out so early!

JD

Edit: Clarity
I didn’t loose faith. Just curious and anxious. Thank you so much for this info!

I didn’t loose faith. Just curious and anxious. Thank you so much for this info!

Breanna,

You pointed out something in my phrasing I overlooked. How about to everyone, instead of do not lose faith, I offer, do not be discouraged. Anxiousness and wonder can really take a toll on us.

JD

Reactions: 1 users
Hello All! I have an update to my match. So I’ve actually been reassigned to San Antonio, TX in the HIV prevention program. I initially was assigned to Topeka, Kansas, but due to me being in the Army Reserve and stationed in San Antonio, this would’ve caused many challenges. It so happened that someone declined the San Antonio position so Gustavo (the director of the program I believe) called me to offer me the new match. Declining the match only means you’ll get a call from him to see if he could match you with a better option. I was super scared to decline, but I’m happy I did because I got my number one city and concentration area. Hope this helps! Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hello All! I have an update to my match. So I’ve actually been reassigned to San Antonio, TX in the HIV prevention program. I initially was assigned to Topeka, Kansas, but due to me being in the Army Reserve and stationed in San Antonio, this would’ve cause many challenges. It so happened that someone declined the San Antonio position so Gustavo the director of the program I believe) called me to offer me the new match. Declining the match only means you’ll get a call from him to see if he could match you with a better option. I was super scared to decline, but I’m happy I did because I got my number one city and concentration area. Hope this helps! Good luck everyone.
That’s awesome! It worked out splendid for you. It seems that host sites are negotiable this year? Based on your post and a few previous posts I’ve read, declining doesn’t mean your out of the running .

That’s awesome! It worked out splendid for you. It seems that host sites are negotiable this year? Based on your post and a few previous posts I’ve read, declining doesn’t mean your out of the running .
Yes it’s because of COVID-19. They told me this is the first year they are being flexible because in the past if you declined that meant you decline being part of the whole program.

Yes it’s because of COVID-19. They told me this is the first year they are being flexible because in the past if you declined that meant you decline being part of the whole program.
That’s great, but it also kind of lessens the chance of being accepted to the program if you were maybe a backup candidate.

Hello All! I have an update to my match. So I’ve actually been reassigned to San Antonio, TX in the HIV prevention program. I initially was assigned to Topeka, Kansas, but due to me being in the Army Reserve and stationed in San Antonio, this would’ve caused many challenges. It so happened that someone declined the San Antonio position so Gustavo (the director of the program I believe) called me to offer me the new match. Declining the match only means you’ll get a call from him to see if he could match you with a better option. I was super scared to decline, but I’m happy I did because I got my number one city and concentration area. Hope this helps! Good luck everyone.
So happy it worked out for you! I'm in a similar situation and they told me I will know by this Friday- fingers crossed!

So happy it worked out for you! I'm in a similar situation and they told me I will know by this Friday- fingers crossed!
Thank you! Yes! I am sure something will open up because some people decide to do another fellowship or something else.

Does anyone know what items would you suggest having ready so that when we get the call from HR and do the background check everything runs smoothly?

I read on previous forums that we should have our SS card, passport, and do they eventually need an official copy of our transcripts?

I would just like to know so I’m not scrambling last minute to gather these.

Thank you!

I had already accepted my match but I sent an email saying that I won’t be able to do the location due to personal reasons I found out about after I accepted it! I got an email saying I would be considered for a different location! Don’t be afraid to ask them even after you accepted guys!

Does anyone know what items would you suggest having ready so that when we get the call from HR and do the background check everything runs smoothly?

I read on previous forums that we should have our SS card, passport, and do they eventually need an official copy of our transcripts?

I would just like to know so I’m not scrambling last minute to gather these.

Thank you!
Hi! I'm a 2019 PHAP. I would recommend to start requesting your official transcripts. They will be needed. Last year, there were some issues with HR receiving transcripts from schools as well as them being received but not opened in time causing some to have to resend them. The other documents you mentioned will be needed, but later on in the hiring process!

Does anyone know how long our orientation is in Atlanta?
Last year we did a 4 day long training in ATL. We were gone from our host sites for 5 days (the first day is used for travel) but actually trained for 4 days. I'm not sure if it will be the same for you all this year due to COVID, but as you near your starting date you will receive more information.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! I'm a 2019 PHAP. I would recommend to start requesting your official transcripts. They will be needed. Last year, there were some issues with HR receiving transcripts from schools as well as them being received but not opened in time causing some to have to resend them. The other documents you mentioned will be needed, but later on in the hiring process!
Do you (or does anyone else) know if the official transcripts have to be printed and mailed or if they can be sent digitally as pdfs?

Do you (or does anyone else) know if the official transcripts have to be printed and mailed or if they can be sent digitally as pdfs?

Hi all! I am a 2019 PHAP associate currently stationed in Manchester, KY. Congrats to everyone who has received their placements and sending positive vibes for those still waiting!

You can send your transcripts by mail or by email, the only requirement is that your college or university has to send it on your behalf. I requested an electronic transfer of my transcripts through my university and they sent it to CDC. The only word of advice I have with electronic transfers is that the links are time-limited, so make sure your HR person opens it before the deadline!

Hi all! I am a 2019 PHAP associate currently stationed in Manchester, KY. Congrats to everyone who has received their placements and sending positive vibes for those still waiting!

You can send your transcripts by mail or by email, the only requirement is that your college or university has to send it on your behalf. I requested an electronic transfer of my transcripts through my university and they sent it to CDC. The only word of advice I have with electronic transfers is that the links are time-limited, so make sure your HR person opens it before the deadline!
Hi,

Are the requested transcripts only for those who graduated this year or for everyone?

Hi,

Are the requested transcripts only for those who graduated this year or for everyone?

It's for everyone (to make sure you obtained your degree within the past 2 years and your GPA is a 3.0 or higher)!

At the end of the program, are we eligible for non-competitive conversion just to CDC roles or to roles with any federal government agency?

Congrats !!! I also just got accepted into Phoenix. Let’s link! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats! Current 2019 PHAP stationed in Phoenix, AZ. If you have any questions or concerns you are more than welcome to send me a private message on here or email me at [email protected].

Congratulations to everyone who has already matched! And to all of you still waiting, don't lose heart. I got my match about 3 or 4 weeks after people started reporting them on this board last year, and there were still plenty of people who matched in the weeks after me as well.

-2019 PHAP stationed in Hartford, CT, working in Immunizations. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations to everyone who has already matched! And to all of you still waiting, don't lose heart. I got my match about 3 or 4 weeks after people started reporting them on this board last year, and there were still plenty of people who matched in the weeks after me as well.

-2019 PHAP stationed in Hartford, CT, working in Immunizations. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Thank you so much! Im glad I didn’t give up checking this forum.

I was matched to Tucson, AZ this morning. If anyone was previously or currently matched in Tucson, please let me know. Arizona was my 5th choice

Reactions: 3 users
Matched to Chicago, IL to work on COVID-19 this morning! Anyone know what kind of work this will involve?