2021-2022 Brown (Alpert)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Screamapillar for sharing this year's questions:

2021-2022 Brown (Alpert) Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. Summarize your activities during the 2021-2022 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career.
(2000 characters)

2. How will your unique attributes (e.g., cultural or socioeconomic background, lifestyle, work experiences) add to the overall diversity of the Alpert Medical School community? (2000 characters)

3. What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself? (3000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For everyone considering applying, here's last cycle's secondary questions:
  • Summarize your activities during the 2020-2021 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career. 2000 characters.
  • How will your unique attributes (e.g., cultural or socioeconomic background, lifestyle, work experiences) add to the overall diversity of the Alpert Medical School community? 2000 characters.
  • What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself? 3000 characters.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
are the prompts the same as last year?
Summarize your activities during the 2021-2022 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career. (2000 chars)

How will your unique attributes (e.g., cultural or socioeconomic background, lifestyle, work experiences) add to the overall diversity of the Alpert Medical School community? (2000 chars)

What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself? (3000 chars)

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else having issues activating their account? Last name, birthday, brown ID....not working....

Edit: I am stupid - Brown ID number is different than the Brown username provided in the first email. SMH

How soon after your apps get verified did you all receive an invite to their secondary? I got verified 6/28 so I am trying to gauge if/when I would receive one...

Members don't see this ad :)
How soon after your apps get verified did you all receive an invite to their secondary? I got verified 6/28 so I am trying to gauge if/when I would receive one...
Verified very early on in the process, so my app got sent out first day on 06/25. Received secondary on 07/01, so 4 business days after!

verified before 6/25 and received secondary on 7/1

For the part where it ass you to put in the number of hours for your courses, did you just put the number of credit hours (such as 3 or 4) or the total number of hours for the semester?

I'm also confused about how to put the number of hours for courses, since my university is on the quarter system, so we have credit hours that are slightly different than credit hours for the semester system. should i convert my quarter hours into semester system credit hours?

I'm also confused about how to put the number of hours for courses, since my university is on the quarter system, so we have credit hours that are slightly different than credit hours for the semester system. should i convert my quarter hours into semester system credit hours?
I would just make it easy and use the semester hours listed on your AMCAS app.

Do we just need to list enough courses to meet the #s listed below the question? No need to list ALL courses for each category right? Ex. if I took 10 Biology courses, I just need to list 2?

Do we just need to list enough courses to meet the #s listed below the question? No need to list ALL courses for each category right? Ex. if I took 10 Biology courses, I just need to list 2?
That’s what I did.

anyone else not receive a secondary from brown?
added school on 7/6

Anyone still haven't received their secondary yet? Was verified on 7/17.

Reactions: 2 users
Verified 7/21, just received secondary OOS

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else's LOR's showing up as not received? Should I email them?

Does anyone know if we can substitute cell biology for something like A&P or upper div genetics?

Does anyone have an "under review" message in their portal from Brown or just file complete?

Does anyone know if they're screening/ sending secondaries in batches? I got verified last Monday and Brown is my only school that I haven't gotten anything from

Does anyone know if they're screening/ sending secondaries in batches? I got verified last Monday and Brown is my only school that I haven't gotten anything from
It took me a week to get their secondary once I got verified

Hey guys, I noticed that Brown only accepts 2 total application updates. I recently got an abstract for my publication accepted, and I was wondering if it's worth using one of my updates to inform the admissions office of this so that I can maximize my chances of getting an interview? Or is it better to save this for after a potential interview? My health advisor said to maybe wait till post-interview since there's so few updates, but at the same time I'm thinking that such a line of thinking might not work if I don't get the interview in the first place (especially because I'm OOS). Any thoughts?
I did not know this! Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I am also OOS and I think I would hold on until after interview in order to give your app that extra little push it might take to get the A, but if you think that your update adds a lot that is not already accounted for in your app, then go for it and try to get that II. If you already talked about your research in your app, getting the abstract accepted might not be enough to make that type of difference but it could be a good detail to include post-interview. Just my $0.02.

Hey guys, I noticed that Brown only accepts 2 total application updates. I recently got an abstract for my publication accepted, and I was wondering if it's worth using one of my updates to inform the admissions office of this so that I can maximize my chances of getting an interview? Or is it better to save this for after a potential interview? My health advisor said to maybe wait till post-interview since there's so few updates, but at the same time I'm thinking that such a line of thinking might not work if I don't get the interview in the first place (especially because I'm OOS). Any thoughts?

Having had seven interviews last year, and having done exactly what you are proposing (sending in small updates before receiving an II), I regreted not keeping my updates until after the interview. The small update is very unlikely to provide the final push to receive an II from a school that you wouldn't have gotten an II from anyway. After the interview, you will wish you had something to add to your update/interest/intent letter to boost you amongst the pool of interviewed applicants, as many schools will communicate their interest in receiving updates from you AFTER the interview. One of my schools, for example, stated at the end of the interview sessions that they cared about post-II updates and that they were included in the adcom discussions if sent in before the date that they discussed our group of interviewees. (They told us the exact date that the students that interviewed on our interview dates would be discussed).

Long story short, keep it!

Reactions: 5 users
II Today! OOS w/ No ties. Complete 7/5

II received this morning! Complete 7/10, LM 83 OOS no ties

• Love
II just a few minutes ago. OOS but ties to the school. Complete 8/14

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
II earlier today. OOS. Complete 8/13

Reactions: 5 users
Current M1 at brown willing to field any questions! I think our first interview day was today so good luck to today’s and future interviewees!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users