You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Florida International
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
II as well!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats! when were you guys complete, and also mind sharing stats? IS/OOS?
I dont remember when I was complete but I submitted within like 10 days of getting the secondary. IS. LM 70.3. ORM.congrats! when were you guys complete, and also mind sharing stats? IS/OOS?
_sternocleidomastoid_
Full Member
+ 1II just now!
hello_2311_
Full Member
my first II!!!
Last edited:
Were are the II sent to IS?
Premedgal1
Full Member
II!
Hi! How did you get the invite? Email or phone?
_sternocleidomastoid_
Full Member
Email. It said something like “HWCOM invites you to take the next step in the app”Hi! How did you get the invite? Email or phone?
JRabotnick
Full Member
II today at 2pm! OOS applicant
Same. OOS, complete 7/26. No II.damn looks like i dodged the II wave (IS completed june 30th ahhhhhh lm 73)
aaaaaaa ._.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations! when did you submit your secondary? what is your stats?II just now!
Congratulations! when did you submit your secondary? what is your stats?II as well!
Congratulations! when did you submit your secondary? what is your stats?II today at 2pm! OOS applicant
premedgirl317
New Member
II today at 2pm!!! IS URM LM: 74.6 complete 7/29
How long between the day you received a secondary and the date you submitted it?II today at 2pm!!! IS URM LM: 74.6 complete 7/29
what date did you submit your secondary? what are your stats?I completed mine the same day the secondary was sent (I had it prewritten). I am IS
IS, complete 6/29, LizzyM ~75Congratulations! when did you submit your secondary? what is your stats?
hello_2311_
Full Member
also any advice on the interviews from past/ current students?
medshook826g
New Member
II yesterday, 512 mcat 3.6 gpa
Last edited:
Guess I missed yesterday's II wave. So happy for those who did get one though!
+1Guess I missed yesterday's II wave. So happy for those who did get one though!
Don't worry! Many people will continue to get IIs throughout the cycle even if you were complete early.
Congratulations! When did you submit your application?II yesterday OOS, 507 mcat 3.9 gpa
medshook826g
New Member
July 30!Congratulations! When did you submit your application?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you mean June 30? Or is July 30 correctJuly 30!
parlezvousmed
Full Member
Any new interview activity?
Current M1 at FIU here, it seems like a lot of people are freaking out about getting II already. R-E-L-A-X!!! FIU spaces out their interview invites. I submitted in July last year and didn’t get interviewed until January. I was accepted right away, I also have classmates who interviewed in September and those who interviewed in March. It doesn’t make a big difference so don’t get down on yourself for not getting an II yet!
you the goat. thanks homieCurrent M1 at FIU here, it seems like a lot of people are freaking out about getting II already. R-E-L-A-X!!! FIU spaces out their interview invites. I submitted in July last year and didn’t get interviewed until January. I was accepted right away, I also have classmates who interviewed in September and those who interviewed in March. It doesn’t make a big difference so don’t get down on yourself for not getting an II yet!
For those with II, anyone else watch the Tour of FIU video on the dashboard? I swear I heard them say the medical library is open "180 hours a week" 😂
premedgirl317
New Member
13 days!How long between the day you received a secondary and the date you submitted it?
less conversational than my previous interview, but still pretty conversationalhow'd interviews go for those that went today? was it conversational?
what did they ask?less conversational than my previous interview, but still pretty conversational
they had a list of required questions they had to get through, just basic questions, nothing too wildwhat did they ask?
Hey all I’m an M1 here and I had someone message me asking a few questions about FIU and I wrote up a pretty long response that I think may be helpful for many more people in the thread so I thought I would share it here too!
Questions: Why did I choose FIU? What makes FIU different? Is FIU pass/fail?
I think what really sets FIU apart, and also my main reasons for choosing this school is the community here and FIU’s commitment to diversity and uplifting underserved communities.
FIU is 3rd most diverse medical school in the country. This is really great to be able to learn from your peers who may be different from you and allows you gain a well rounded cultural competence that will be needed to practice medicine in the 21st century. Likewise, learning to practice medicine in an extremely diverse city like Miami is also helpful for the same reasons, in the end I believe it will make my peers and I better equipped to treat future patients. Lookup the Neighborhood Help program, it is super unique to FIU! The other great thing here, that will be easy to see on your interview day, is the sense of family between students and our professors. The upperclassman and professors are super helpful in guiding us through our classes. Within the class it is a super collaborative environment, everyone shares their study guides, flash cards, and other resources with each other because we all want each other to succeed! Medical school is extremely hard and this support makes it so much easier! I interviewed at a couple “more elite” medical schools filled with gunners which were known be more cutthroat among classmates where they competed against each other to improve their residency applications and I knew I did not want to be in a toxic environment like that.
Despite FIU being a relatively new medical school you can look up their match results and they match exceptionally well, even with step 1 going P/F, FIU now has a reputation for doing well above average on the exam which will be an advantage when applying to residencies.
As for the curriculum, it is a hybrid P/F system. Some classes are true P/F, others you can have Honors/high pass/pass/fail. For most classes you still get a numeric grade that is not on your transcript for residencies to see but is used to internally rank for residency applications. FIU uses this to report what quartile you’re in (not your actual rank). This allows people who still want to go into competitive specialties like surgery to differentiate themselves. It also gives you wiggle room if you don’t do well in class for example if you have a 90 average in all your classes but get a 75 in anatomy, your transcript will show you passed all classes and they’ll never know you did poorly because your grade average would still be very high and likely in the top quartile which is all they would see. I know it’s a little confusing but hopefully the example helped!
Questions: Why did I choose FIU? What makes FIU different? Is FIU pass/fail?
I think what really sets FIU apart, and also my main reasons for choosing this school is the community here and FIU’s commitment to diversity and uplifting underserved communities.
FIU is 3rd most diverse medical school in the country. This is really great to be able to learn from your peers who may be different from you and allows you gain a well rounded cultural competence that will be needed to practice medicine in the 21st century. Likewise, learning to practice medicine in an extremely diverse city like Miami is also helpful for the same reasons, in the end I believe it will make my peers and I better equipped to treat future patients. Lookup the Neighborhood Help program, it is super unique to FIU! The other great thing here, that will be easy to see on your interview day, is the sense of family between students and our professors. The upperclassman and professors are super helpful in guiding us through our classes. Within the class it is a super collaborative environment, everyone shares their study guides, flash cards, and other resources with each other because we all want each other to succeed! Medical school is extremely hard and this support makes it so much easier! I interviewed at a couple “more elite” medical schools filled with gunners which were known be more cutthroat among classmates where they competed against each other to improve their residency applications and I knew I did not want to be in a toxic environment like that.
Despite FIU being a relatively new medical school you can look up their match results and they match exceptionally well, even with step 1 going P/F, FIU now has a reputation for doing well above average on the exam which will be an advantage when applying to residencies.
As for the curriculum, it is a hybrid P/F system. Some classes are true P/F, others you can have Honors/high pass/pass/fail. For most classes you still get a numeric grade that is not on your transcript for residencies to see but is used to internally rank for residency applications. FIU uses this to report what quartile you’re in (not your actual rank). This allows people who still want to go into competitive specialties like surgery to differentiate themselves. It also gives you wiggle room if you don’t do well in class for example if you have a 90 average in all your classes but get a 75 in anatomy, your transcript will show you passed all classes and they’ll never know you did poorly because your grade average would still be very high and likely in the top quartile which is all they would see. I know it’s a little confusing but hopefully the example helped!
As a fellow M1, I absolutely agree to this! No gunners, lots of sharing, and very supportive. Well said!Hey all I’m an M1 here and I had someone message me asking a few questions about FIU and I wrote up a pretty long response that I think may be helpful for many more people in the thread so I thought I would share it here too!
Questions: Why did I choose FIU? What makes FIU different? Is FIU pass/fail?
I think what really sets FIU apart, and also my main reasons for choosing this school is the community here and FIU’s commitment to diversity and uplifting underserved communities.
FIU is 3rd most diverse medical school in the country. This is really great to be able to learn from your peers who may be different from you and allows you gain a well rounded cultural competence that will be needed to practice medicine in the 21st century. Likewise, learning to practice medicine in an extremely diverse city like Miami is also helpful for the same reasons, in the end I believe it will make my peers and I better equipped to treat future patients. Lookup the Neighborhood Help program, it is super unique to FIU! The other great thing here, that will be easy to see on your interview day, is the sense of family between students and our professors. The upperclassman and professors are super helpful in guiding us through our classes. Within the class it is a super collaborative environment, everyone shares their study guides, flash cards, and other resources with each other because we all want each other to succeed! Medical school is extremely hard and this support makes it so much easier! I interviewed at a couple “more elite” medical schools filled with gunners which were known be more cutthroat among classmates where they competed against each other to improve their residency applications and I knew I did not want to be in a toxic environment like that.
Despite FIU being a relatively new medical school you can look up their match results and they match exceptionally well, even with step 1 going P/F, FIU now has a reputation for doing well above average on the exam which will be an advantage when applying to residencies.
As for the curriculum, it is a hybrid P/F system. Some classes are true P/F, others you can have Honors/high pass/pass/fail. For most classes you still get a numeric grade that is not on your transcript for residencies to see but is used to internally rank for residency applications. FIU uses this to report what quartile you’re in (not your actual rank). This allows people who still want to go into competitive specialties like surgery to differentiate themselves. It also gives you wiggle room if you don’t do well in class for example if you have a 90 average in all your classes but get a 75 in anatomy, your transcript will show you passed all classes and they’ll never know you did poorly because your grade average would still be very high and likely in the top quartile which is all they would see. I know it’s a little confusing but hopefully the example helped!
medshook826g
New Member
W
For those with II, anyone else watch the Tour of FIU video on the dashboard? I swear I heard them say the medical library is open "180 hours a week" 😂
Hi how do you get to this tour?For those with II, anyone else watch the Tour of FIU video on the dashboard? I swear I heard them say the medical library is open "180 hours a week" 😂
I believe they email you a link to the pre-interview dashboard after you receive and II. This includes a link to a campus tour, or at least it did last year.W
Hi how do you get to this tour?
medshook826g
New Member
How early did they do that bc my interview is this Tuesday and I haven’t received that email.I believe they email you a link to the pre-interview dashboard after you receive and II. This includes a link to a campus tour, or at least it did last year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't remember how early in advance they sent mine. Maybe those who have interviewed this cycle can chime in.How early did they do that bc my interview is this Tuesday and I haven’t received that email.
They sent mine like 3 or 4 days before my interviewI can't remember how early in advance they sent mine. Maybe those who have interviewed this cycle can chime in.
medshook826g
New Member
Can you tell me about your favorite part of the curriculum or what stands out to you? Is there an underlying theme throughout your classes?I can't remember how early in advance they sent mine. Maybe those who have interviewed this cycle can chime in.
Sure! Personally, I like how we only take one science/medical class at a time. Concurrently, we take other courses like clinical skills, ethics, professionalism etc. that allows us to integrate the skills we learn in those courses with the information we are learning in our science/medical classes. Feel free to PM with with more specific questions!Can you tell me about your favorite part of the curriculum or what stands out to you? Is there an underlying theme throughout your classes?
II just now! I'm OOS and was complete 7/26!