2021-2022 Florida International

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Can anyone elaborate why FIU’s MSAR has a low matriculation post II? It’s less than 30% for IS.
 
Can anyone elaborate why FIU’s MSAR has a low matriculation post II? It’s less than 30% for IS.
I think you are getting this number from In-State Matriculated # / In-State Interviewed #. This value is comparable to other public schools in Florida as well. I ran some quick stats and only UF and FSU had higher in-state matriculation values. For others reading this- don't panic! These values are not the post-acceptance rates, but rather the post-matriculation rates, meaning people who were interviewed and actually decided to go. Without a doubt the post-acceptance rate is higher. To answer your question, I can't think of any particular reason why the post-matriculation rate reports as is, remember, this was a really weird COVID cycle and things change year to year. I don't think this is anything to worry about.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you are getting this number from In-State Matriculated # / In-State Interviewed #. This value is comparable to other public schools in Florida as well. I ran some quick stats and only UF and FSU had higher in-state matriculation values. For others reading this- don't panic! These values are not the post-acceptance rates, but rather the post-matriculation rates, meaning people who were interviewed and actually decided to go. Without a doubt the post-acceptance rate is higher. To answer your question, I can't think of any particular reason why the post-matriculation rate reports as is, remember, this was a really weird COVID cycle and things change year to year. I don't think this is anything to worry about.
Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough response, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question!
 
Can you tell me about your favorite part of the curriculum or what stands out to you? Is there an underlying theme throughout your classes?
Best part of the cirriculum is that most of it is not PBL/TBL. We definitely have a few sessions but those are fewer and mainly relegated to the non-science classes which make those a bit more engaging actually. Worst thing that can happen to a med student is being stuck in hours of team-based/case base learning on a topic that you already know or with people who didn't prepare. There is one class where this style is featured heavily (renal) and its generally disliked by students who like to watch lecture. Interestingly, despite my previous statements, I loved it because its essentially just answering Q bank questions with 5 other students and once you're done you can leave. Essentially we replaced 4 hours of daily lecture with 2 hours of high-quality question answering (50/day) and 30-60 minutes of prep the night before. Both of which are things you would be doing on top of lecture anyway.

One science class at a time and NBME exams is also massively important. People with only in-house stuff suck at NBME questions when the time comes, we do so many of them that they are cake come Step time.
 
How do the research opportunities here compare to that of UMMSM, UF COM, and USF Morsani? Asking because I would like to emphasize research during my time in medical school and plan on focusing on academic medicine. I could not find a MD/PhD Dual Degree program nor any semblance of a MSTP while looking at the combined degree programs. Is it possible to complete a MD and PhD in Biomedical Sciences concurrently then? Has anyone done this before or is it preferable to focus on the MD by itself and pursue a scholarly concentration in research? Any current students or alumni, please feel free to respond. Your comments are much appreciated!
I think this might be a great question to ask admissions!
 
We do have a combined MD PhD program that dean sackstein started, if you’re interested in those programs you should find a mentor whose lab you want to join and target that school. The resources and opportunities are therefor very specific to your research interests. If you don’t have specific research interests I would not recommend doing a PhD.

For the rest of us, you can certainly get as many publications as you have time for. Just last year we had a neurosurgery match, and regulatory match into ortho, ent etc. if the research you want isn’t available at FIU, then it’s easy to get set up with a lab at UM. Personally I’ve published in the double digits in just 3 years.
 
Is it more challenging to get accepted to this MD/Ph.D. program? I ask because although I did extensive research in undergrad and submitted a Senior Honors Thesis, I did not have a publication or poster (poster presentations I was going to have during my senior year got canceled due to COVID). My stats are 3.56/514, so do you think it would be better to find a mentor willing to work with me and then email Dr. Sackstein about interest in the dual degree?
To be brutally honest, I think if you're applying this cycle and you don't know about all of these things already you should probably hold off on the Ph.D.

It's far more challenging to get accepted to a MD Ph.D program. Your MCAT is fine but your GPA is about .2 below average for when I applied. People applying will be above average and have strong research interests that will be well articulated in the app. If you wanted to find a mentor I would do your research on them and then contact them directly, if you're applying this cycle you are far behind the eight-ball and I would really just do the MD-only option. If you're applying next year, up your game and then look into it.

If you want to get one later on in med school I think you can apply and do it, though I'm not sure if this was just a thing because they started the program when I was already at FIU or not. Also, Dean Sacksetin recently became the head of another global outreach at FIU and Dr. Cedan is now the dean.
 
Just be yourself, as everyone says... People like things that you are passionate about but that said dont be needlessly weird, casual conversation for the most part. Saying you love the NHELP program is something everyone does so Id throw that in there. If I could go back to med school interviews I would also gauge the interviewer early on to see what their field/interests were and tailor responses to that. For example, primary care and underserved populations are huge for a lot of people at this school so I would focus on that and not say that you want to be a neurosurgeon with a huge lab in the NE. However, if Dean Sackstein was interviewing you that is exactly what I would say lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how mandatory cafecito is? Or if there are other dates we could attend? I have work and can’t take it off 🙁
 
So I interviewed over 1 month ago. Will FIU let me know about my decision on 10/15 (tomorrow)? Or is their timeline different? According to last years thread, the first acceptance that was posted was 10/27. Idk if previous years they let applicants know on dates other than 10/15 the earliest. Thank you!
 
So I interviewed over 1 month ago. Will FIU let me know about my decision on 10/15 (tomorrow)? Or is their timeline different? According to last years thread, the first acceptance that was posted was 10/27. Idk if previous years they let applicants know on dates other than 10/15 the earliest. Thank you!
I’m curious to know the same. At my interview they said decisions start coming out October 15 so hopefully we will know tomorrow
 
So I interviewed over 1 month ago. Will FIU let me know about my decision on 10/15 (tomorrow)? Or is their timeline different? According to last years thread, the first acceptance that was posted was 10/27. Idk if previous years they let applicants know on dates other than 10/15 the earliest. Thank you!
I interviewed recently (10/4), and they gave us a specific date we would hear back on (10/26). So if your group didn’t get a specific date, it could be tomorrow?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone heard back from their interviews? I'm super nervous
Still waiting. From previous year's thread and from a friend who's currently an M1 at HWCOM, it seems that they notify us in the late afternoon. So like 3 or 4pm. But I did see some people comment "just accepted" at like 12:30 or 1pm. So hopefully soon
 
Still waiting. From previous year's thread and from a friend who's currently an M1 at HWCOM, it seems that they notify us in the late afternoon. So like 3 or 4pm. But I did see some people comment "just accepted" at like 12:30 or 1pm. So hopefully soon
ANYONE GOT A CALL OR EMAIL AHH CANT wait any more
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad