2021-2022 Florida International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Email the adcom and say “In response to recent allegations against faculty members of your university, I’d like to withdraw my application from consideration.” That’ll get their attention! lol 😆
hmmmm lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

CB333AFB-AD8B-4F29-A01E-58E4AB5A0187.jpeg
5EFB94B0-BAF7-43B5-A1E1-5A1FF9207198.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you can see how many upvotes on a comment 12 minutes old implies you wrote that comment on reddit. Why not just write what you have to say directly in the forum?

Also funky is that the reddit account's oldest comments are 1 hour old, and how you recently deleted your previous SDN comments in a FIU related forum, which were in support of FIU.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
The fact that you can see how many upvotes on a comment 12 minutes old implies you wrote that comment on reddit. Why not just write what you have to say directly in the forum?

Also funky is that the reddit account's oldest comments are 1 hour old, and how you recently deleted your previous SDN comments in a FIU related forum, which were in support of FIU.
It is my post not trying to hide that and just wanted to to have that content in this thread as well so screenshots seemed easiest. I also realized I may be able to be identified by sdn posts from last year and wish to remain anonymous since this doesn’t directly involve me just wanted to add my 2 cents

Reactions: 1 users
FYI, I go to FAU's college of medicine and I've rotated with some of the FIU kids at our affiliated hospitals in 2020. I've definitely heard about several of those allegations independently from FIU students I rotated with. Especially the public shaming email and the automatically failing % of the class to influence the Step average.

Reactions: 7 users
Throwing in an opinion as a current student -
FIU is not a perfect school. It's true that there has been a lot of turnover with the faculty and staff. I am aware of some of the allegations made in the post, but not all of them. I suspect some embellishment, but I don't know all the facts. I would take some of it with a grain of salt. The purpose of this message is simply to say, despite all of these allegations, I believe I have had an excellent medical education at FIU and do not feel that I have been negatively affected by anything mentioned in the post. I do not mean to negate anyone else's experiences, but want to reassure anyone who is going to be coming to FIU that all is not lost. I hope that the reddit post will shed light on any of the true issues and spur on improvement!

Reactions: 7 users
I really wouldn’t drop this school over their post.

The deferred thing alone.... saying that students were pressured and offered minor financial incentive...

It’s not true, it was totally voluntary and were offered 50% off tuition.

What else in this post did they lie, dramatize or over exaggerate?

I wouldn’t drop an acceptance just from reading a Reddit post. I recommend researching it out, talking to upper classmen, and going to the the welcome home visit.

Later on in the Facebook group, upper classmen will give their contact information and you can ask about the school as well

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Current medical student here, please please please take the account of 1 disgruntled student with a grain of salt. There are now multiple comments on that Reddit post by other classmates directly refuting the claims made by the original poster. Unfortunately the post is blowing up and they may be hard to find in the comments but I highly encourage you to compare those comments to the claims made in the post and you will see there are a lot of inconsistencies. Ultimately the decision is yours, I would just hope you all make an informed one, not one based on a post of a very angry person. My DMs are open for any concerned students considering Hwcom, best of luck!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Current medical student here, please please please take the account of 1 disgruntled student with a grain of salt. There are now multiple comments on that Reddit post by other classmates directly refuting the claims made by the original poster. Unfortunately the post is blowing up and they may be hard to find in the comments but I highly encourage you to compare those comments to the claims made in the post and you will see there are a lot of inconsistencies. Ultimately the decision is yours, I would just hope you all make an informed one, not one based on a post of a very angry person. My DMs are open for any concerned students considering Hwcom, best of luck!
i think it's unfair to say this is just the account of one disgruntled student, the post clearly provides evidence from multiple students.

i'm sure there are plenty of other students who had an amazing experience at this school. so people should definitely make their own judgements.

the glaring problem i'm seeing is that those students who are having bad experiences seem to more likely be URM.

i think it's unfair to say this is just the account of one disgruntled student, the post clearly provides evidence from multiple students.

i'm sure there are plenty of other students who had an amazing experience at this school. so people should definitely make their own judgements.

the glaring problem i'm seeing is that those students who are having bad experiences seem to more likely be URM.
FIU is the 3rd most diverse medical in the country with some of the most diverse faculty. The claims made by the poster accuse faculty who are all URM. Many of them also unsubstantiated and you will see other students in the thread who give different accounts. These students were a few bad eggs looking for vengeance for having to repeat years or be dismissed due to their poor professional and academic performance. Many of us don’t even have a clue to some of the things OP brought up and there’s no way this angry student has some inside information into admin details that no other student at the school has

• Haha
FIU is the 3rd most diverse medical in the country with some of the most diverse faculty. The claims made by the poster accuse faculty who are all URM. Many of them also unsubstantiated and you will see other students in the thread who give different accounts. These students were a few bad eggs looking for vengeance for having to repeat years or be dismissed due to their poor professional and academic performance. Many of us don’t even have a clue to some of the things OP brought up and there’s no way this angry student has some inside information into admin details that no other student at the school has
just because a school is diverse and has urm as faculty members (pretty sure most of them are white hispanics) doesnt mean they cant contribute to unfair practices that target other URM students

again im not saying the og post is without bias but if there are multiple accounts of urm students being unfairly treated by administration it shows a pattern, whether or not it is well-known among students on campus is not something that sways me

as someone from the south florida area, i've heard nothing but positive things about fiu but i also recognize that the experiences i have heard come from high-achieving students who are not URM

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just an FYI, Dean Jones, who we all met on interview day cannot be found on FIU’s website (it comes up as blocked or taken down). According to that post, he was fired for sexual harassment. Not saying he was, but as an applicant and hopeful matriculant, I would like the school to be at least transparent about a dean (who isn’t even a doctor btw-he’s a lawyer) that we all met and talked to. At least apply the same standard to this dean as they did to that student they forced to publicly apologize to their entire student body for plagiarizing. I just think we all deserve transparency here, that’s all.

Reactions: 11 users

Those "students" were almost certainly faculty members that made Reddit accounts. What a damn shame that FIU is falling under such scrutiny, but it goes to show just how mediocre of a medical school it really is. I can't imagine anyone picking FIU over any other Florida MD school, bar Nova.

I will also be withdrawing my app. It’s tough to imagine anyone not after reading these posts, but I can understand and wish you all the best of luck. Please stay safe and strong!

Reactions: 9 users
Hello all, Does FIU send rejections post interview or only acceptances and waitlists? Thanks!

Has anyone else been having trouble getting a response from the admissions office lately?
They are probably dealing with the PR wave ****storm from that reddit post lol

Personally, I just had a question about prereqs that was never answered. I have emailed them in the past to submit updates, and usually they respond pretty quickly, so it just seemed odd to me. Figured it was worth asking.
I see. Yeah it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re trying to figure out how to handle this mess. They could be freaking out over many things; the post, surplus of emails from students asking about the accusations, and even maybe some drama over people dropping apps. The latter I have no way to back up, it just would make sense

The accepted students Facebook group is at 137. Are all of those people accepted students for the incoming class, or are some of the people moderators and upperclassmen?

• Wow
Everyone's talking about that reddit post, and while I don't know how much of it is true or how much of it is a lie; I was given this survey from the graduation class of 2019 with some bad reviews. A few good reviews too, so I don't think it's all doom and gloom. I'd just be careful about forming an opinion based on any one student's account because they're the ones with the agendas most likely. I don't have the surveys from the class of 2020 or 2021 and it's possible the school has improved.

And someone else confirmed my suspicion Dean Humpty Dumpty was Adrian Jones

Attachments

• GraduationQuestionnaire2019.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 293
Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Hmm
Everyone's talking about that reddit post, and while I don't know how much of it is true or how much of it is a lie; I was given this survey from the graduation class of 2019 with some bad reviews. A few good reviews too, so I don't think it's all doom and gloom. I'd just be careful about forming an opinion based on any one student's account because they're the ones with the agendas most likely. I don't have the surveys from the class of 2020 or 2021 and it's possible the school has improved.

And someone else confirmed my suspicion Dean Humpty Dumpty was Adrian Jones
The vast majority of reviews are very negative so clearly the reddit post is not some isolated incident.

The vast majority of reviews are very negative so clearly the reddit post is not some isolated incident.
Although I agree with this, I will say that all of the long reviews that were especially harsh were clearly written by the same person. Yes, there’s negative points noted in other reviews. But from what I skimmed, nothing seemed remarkably worse/different than things people complain about at other med schools as well. I’ve heard very very similar things said by friends/family at 10+ diff med schools.

• Okay...
  • Hmm
Although I agree with this, I will say that all of the long reviews that were especially harsh were clearly written by the same person. Yes, there’s negative points noted in other reviews. But from what I skimmed, nothing seemed remarkably worse/different than things people complain about at other med schools as well. I’ve heard very very similar things said by friends/family at 10+ diff med schools.
The only thing I can chime in on, is as a lifelong Miami resident and FIU alumni for undergrad the comments about many admins being Caribbean graduates and using their background to inform their teaching style rings true. Many of the physicians here if not every single one that I have shadowed are Caribbean grads. Some great and many awful. Also the ones that particularly gave me a bad taste in my mouth would constantly spout off things like students today would never have made it back in X Caribbean medical school while simultaneously confiding how horrific some of the medical conditions were at the time.

The only thing I can chime in on, is as a lifelong Miami resident and FIU alumni for undergrad the comments about many admins being Caribbean graduates and using their background to inform their teaching style rings true. Many of the physicians here if not every single one that I have shadowed are Caribbean grads. Some great and many awful. Also the ones that particularly gave me a bad taste in my mouth would constantly spout off things like students today would never have made it back in X Caribbean medical school while simultaneously confiding how horrific some of the medical conditions were at the time.
Not disagreeing with any of this. Just saying I’ve heard similar sentiments said by other people about their respective med schools. It might just be a widespread issue that isn’t exclusive to FIU.

• Hmm
i did not get that impression, i also see a couple of shorter reviews that are negative and bring up the same issues

would you be able to name the other medical schools with similar issues?

Pre II R just now. I expected it as I did not meet their letter requirements but it still hurt to read haha, good luck everyone else!
+3, and at my alma mater. Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise based on recent events. Hope everyone has a great rest of their cycle!

• Care
Pre-II R. OOS, complete early July

• Care
anyone else waiting to hear back on March 29 ugh the agonyyyy

Anyone know the post ii acceptance?

So the pre-SOAP match rate was close to 80%, maybe lower once we see official data. Thats absolutely terrible. Everything about this school is red flag. Withdrawing my app good luck to the rest of you

Last edited:
  • Wow
So the pre-SOAP match rate was close to 70%, maybe lower once we see official data. Thats absolutely terrible. Everything about this school is red flag. Withdrawing my app good luck to the rest of you
And where did you see that?

Watching FIU's match day livestream and I'm so impressed with some of the places these people matched to. It's making me emotional seeing their reactions lmao

• Okay...
Watching FIU's match day livestream and I'm so impressed with some of the places these people matched to. It's making me emotional seeing their reactions lmao
Mass Gen - Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Yale, Penn, Mayo, Columbia, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UMich… just to name a few off the top of my head :)

Edit: not too bad for a fairly new public medical school

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Hmm
As a current student, I disagree with this. Feel free to google our admin individually - you will see that very few (if any?) are Caribbean grads. There are several clinical preceptors, particularly in family medicine and internal medicine, who are Caribbean grads but that is consistent with the Miami population. This is not to say anything negative about Caribbean grads - my family medicine preceptor was a Caribbean grad and was a fantastic clinician. I'm not sure who you shadowed, but I would not conflate them with FIU HWCOM faculty.

So the pre-SOAP match rate was close to 80%, maybe lower once we see official data. Thats absolutely terrible. Everything about this school is red flag. Withdrawing my app good luck to the rest of you
How did you calculate the pre-SOAP match rate? I was wondering what it was but I thought that was unavailable?
I do think it is true that the Match was more difficult this year, since the applicant pool was the largest it has ever been due to more people taking a year off with COVID.

As a current student, I disagree with this. Feel free to google our admin individually - you will see that very few (if any?) are Caribbean grads. There are several clinical preceptors, particularly in family medicine and internal medicine, who are Caribbean grads but that is consistent with the Miami population. This is not to say anything negative about Caribbean grads - my family medicine preceptor was a Caribbean grad and was a fantastic clinician. I'm not sure who you shadowed, but I would not conflate them with FIU HWCOM faculty.
I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’ve been shadowing, working, or volunteering in the Miami area for the better part of a decade now. Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, Baptist Hospital, and many clinics are run by Caribbean graduates. I agree, there isn’t anything negative I can say about that fact specifically but it is true for better or worse. No matter where a physician graduates from, there will be “holier than thou” physicians and those who enrich the field and art of medicine.

As for my personal experience with FIU as an undergraduate and dual enrollment graduate, it is just that, personal. I can’t speak for the HWCOM faculty but the science faculty and the communication between the school itself and students was always extremely poor. Faculty has and is known to not be great with trying to make their students succeed and overly protecting their tenured faculty members. The only thing I say is that due to my personal experience with FIU, and physicians in Miami it seems very plausible that the claims could be true or at least be based in truth.

Again, I’m just adding my .02. I’m no longer an FIU student, have never been a medical
Student at HWCOM, and have been rejected from FIU twice. I never had much hope I would get any other result but threw my application in since I’m an alum and it’s in-state for me. I circumvented their all but required Pre-Health committee letter so likely my app was dead in the water.

No matter if you get accepted or not, I wish the very best of luck to everyone.

Anybody else get the grad program invite after being rejected? So tacky

• Hmm
  • Haha
Anybody else get the grad program invite after being rejected? So tacky
I did. It is what it is, and I won’t do it for multiple reasons. However, I do respect the part where they guarantee an interview invite should we meet the academic requirements. It’s better than one of the other graduate programs a school advertised to me where they guaranteed nothing and basically said “do this program because it might help you get into med school. And btw no we aren’t giving you any app feedback.”

• Hmm
24 hours from now more people will be future doctors!!!

• Love