Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hmmmm lolEmail the adcom and say “In response to recent allegations against faculty members of your university, I’d like to withdraw my application from consideration.” That’ll get their attention! lol 😆
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
hmmmm lolEmail the adcom and say “In response to recent allegations against faculty members of your university, I’d like to withdraw my application from consideration.” That’ll get their attention! lol 😆
Yeahh was messing around. I haven’t done it yet but am going to try and find a way via the portal. If not, I will email admissions a more cordial email than the one I (jokingly) suggested.hmmmm lol
aaaand that post has been deleted
The fact that you can see how many upvotes on a comment 12 minutes old implies you wrote that comment on reddit. Why not just write what you have to say directly in the forum?
It is my post not trying to hide that and just wanted to to have that content in this thread as well so screenshots seemed easiest. I also realized I may be able to be identified by sdn posts from last year and wish to remain anonymous since this doesn’t directly involve me just wanted to add my 2 centsThe fact that you can see how many upvotes on a comment 12 minutes old implies you wrote that comment on reddit. Why not just write what you have to say directly in the forum?
Also funky is that the reddit account's oldest comments are 1 hour old, and how you recently deleted your previous SDN comments in a FIU related forum, which were in support of FIU.
i think it's unfair to say this is just the account of one disgruntled student, the post clearly provides evidence from multiple students.Current medical student here, please please please take the account of 1 disgruntled student with a grain of salt. There are now multiple comments on that Reddit post by other classmates directly refuting the claims made by the original poster. Unfortunately the post is blowing up and they may be hard to find in the comments but I highly encourage you to compare those comments to the claims made in the post and you will see there are a lot of inconsistencies. Ultimately the decision is yours, I would just hope you all make an informed one, not one based on a post of a very angry person. My DMs are open for any concerned students considering Hwcom, best of luck!
FIU is the 3rd most diverse medical in the country with some of the most diverse faculty. The claims made by the poster accuse faculty who are all URM. Many of them also unsubstantiated and you will see other students in the thread who give different accounts. These students were a few bad eggs looking for vengeance for having to repeat years or be dismissed due to their poor professional and academic performance. Many of us don’t even have a clue to some of the things OP brought up and there’s no way this angry student has some inside information into admin details that no other student at the school hasi think it's unfair to say this is just the account of one disgruntled student, the post clearly provides evidence from multiple students.
i'm sure there are plenty of other students who had an amazing experience at this school. so people should definitely make their own judgements.
the glaring problem i'm seeing is that those students who are having bad experiences seem to more likely be URM.
just because a school is diverse and has urm as faculty members (pretty sure most of them are white hispanics) doesnt mean they cant contribute to unfair practices that target other URM studentsFIU is the 3rd most diverse medical in the country with some of the most diverse faculty. The claims made by the poster accuse faculty who are all URM. Many of them also unsubstantiated and you will see other students in the thread who give different accounts. These students were a few bad eggs looking for vengeance for having to repeat years or be dismissed due to their poor professional and academic performance. Many of us don’t even have a clue to some of the things OP brought up and there’s no way this angry student has some inside information into admin details that no other student at the school has
FIU is the 3rd most diverse medical in the country with some of the most diverse faculty. The claims made by the poster accuse faculty who are all URM. Many of them also unsubstantiated and you will see other students in the thread who give different accounts. These students were a few bad eggs looking for vengeance for having to repeat years or be dismissed due to their poor professional and academic performance. Many of us don’t even have a clue to some of the things OP brought up and there’s no way this angry student has some inside information into admin details that no other student at the school has
They are probably dealing with the PR wave ****storm from that reddit post lolHas anyone else been having trouble getting a response from the admissions office lately?
I haven’t contacted them at all, but idk what students would be asking the admissions office? Are they just asking if these accusations are true?Yeah that's what I was thinking...
I see. Yeah it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re trying to figure out how to handle this mess. They could be freaking out over many things; the post, surplus of emails from students asking about the accusations, and even maybe some drama over people dropping apps. The latter I have no way to back up, it just would make sensePersonally, I just had a question about prereqs that was never answered. I have emailed them in the past to submit updates, and usually they respond pretty quickly, so it just seemed odd to me. Figured it was worth asking.
This post is written in the same manner / tone of voice as the Reddit post. Assuming it's the same person..... n=1 does not mean a school is toxicThe posts made by @NEU305 are scary to look at on this thread.
![]()
Could a current student speak on their experiences?
The vast majority of reviews are very negative so clearly the reddit post is not some isolated incident.Everyone's talking about that reddit post, and while I don't know how much of it is true or how much of it is a lie; I was given this survey from the graduation class of 2019 with some bad reviews. A few good reviews too, so I don't think it's all doom and gloom. I'd just be careful about forming an opinion based on any one student's account because they're the ones with the agendas most likely. I don't have the surveys from the class of 2020 or 2021 and it's possible the school has improved.
And someone else confirmed my suspicion Dean Humpty Dumpty was Adrian Jones
Although I agree with this, I will say that all of the long reviews that were especially harsh were clearly written by the same person. Yes, there’s negative points noted in other reviews. But from what I skimmed, nothing seemed remarkably worse/different than things people complain about at other med schools as well. I’ve heard very very similar things said by friends/family at 10+ diff med schools.The vast majority of reviews are very negative so clearly the reddit post is not some isolated incident.
The only thing I can chime in on, is as a lifelong Miami resident and FIU alumni for undergrad the comments about many admins being Caribbean graduates and using their background to inform their teaching style rings true. Many of the physicians here if not every single one that I have shadowed are Caribbean grads. Some great and many awful. Also the ones that particularly gave me a bad taste in my mouth would constantly spout off things like students today would never have made it back in X Caribbean medical school while simultaneously confiding how horrific some of the medical conditions were at the time.Although I agree with this, I will say that all of the long reviews that were especially harsh were clearly written by the same person. Yes, there’s negative points noted in other reviews. But from what I skimmed, nothing seemed remarkably worse/different than things people complain about at other med schools as well. I’ve heard very very similar things said by friends/family at 10+ diff med schools.
Not disagreeing with any of this. Just saying I’ve heard similar sentiments said by other people about their respective med schools. It might just be a widespread issue that isn’t exclusive to FIU.The only thing I can chime in on, is as a lifelong Miami resident and FIU alumni for undergrad the comments about many admins being Caribbean graduates and using their background to inform their teaching style rings true. Many of the physicians here if not every single one that I have shadowed are Caribbean grads. Some great and many awful. Also the ones that particularly gave me a bad taste in my mouth would constantly spout off things like students today would never have made it back in X Caribbean medical school while simultaneously confiding how horrific some of the medical conditions were at the time.
i did not get that impression, i also see a couple of shorter reviews that are negative and bring up the same issuesAlthough I agree with this, I will say that all of the long reviews that were especially harsh were clearly written by the same person. Yes, there’s negative points noted in other reviews. But from what I skimmed, nothing seemed remarkably worse/different than things people complain about at other med schools as well. I’ve heard very very similar things said by friends/family at 10+ diff med schools.
also got the R. They are done with this cycle they said.Pre II R just now. I expected it as I did not meet their letter requirements but it still hurt to read haha, good luck everyone else!
+3, and at my alma mater. Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise based on recent events. Hope everyone has a great rest of their cycle!Pre II R just now. I expected it as I did not meet their letter requirements but it still hurt to read haha, good luck everyone else!
And where did you see that?So the pre-SOAP match rate was close to 70%, maybe lower once we see official data. Thats absolutely terrible. Everything about this school is red flag. Withdrawing my app good luck to the rest of you
Mass Gen - Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Yale, Penn, Mayo, Columbia, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UMich… just to name a few off the top of my head 🙂Watching FIU's match day livestream and I'm so impressed with some of the places these people matched to. It's making me emotional seeing their reactions lmao
As a current student, I disagree with this. Feel free to google our admin individually - you will see that very few (if any?) are Caribbean grads. There are several clinical preceptors, particularly in family medicine and internal medicine, who are Caribbean grads but that is consistent with the Miami population. This is not to say anything negative about Caribbean grads - my family medicine preceptor was a Caribbean grad and was a fantastic clinician. I'm not sure who you shadowed, but I would not conflate them with FIU HWCOM faculty.The only thing I can chime in on, is as a lifelong Miami resident and FIU alumni for undergrad the comments about many admins being Caribbean graduates and using their background to inform their teaching style rings true. Many of the physicians here if not every single one that I have shadowed are Caribbean grads. Some great and many awful. Also the ones that particularly gave me a bad taste in my mouth would constantly spout off things like students today would never have made it back in X Caribbean medical school while simultaneously confiding how horrific some of the medical conditions were at the time.
How did you calculate the pre-SOAP match rate? I was wondering what it was but I thought that was unavailable?So the pre-SOAP match rate was close to 80%, maybe lower once we see official data. Thats absolutely terrible. Everything about this school is red flag. Withdrawing my app good luck to the rest of you
I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’ve been shadowing, working, or volunteering in the Miami area for the better part of a decade now. Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, Baptist Hospital, and many clinics are run by Caribbean graduates. I agree, there isn’t anything negative I can say about that fact specifically but it is true for better or worse. No matter where a physician graduates from, there will be “holier than thou” physicians and those who enrich the field and art of medicine.As a current student, I disagree with this. Feel free to google our admin individually - you will see that very few (if any?) are Caribbean grads. There are several clinical preceptors, particularly in family medicine and internal medicine, who are Caribbean grads but that is consistent with the Miami population. This is not to say anything negative about Caribbean grads - my family medicine preceptor was a Caribbean grad and was a fantastic clinician. I'm not sure who you shadowed, but I would not conflate them with FIU HWCOM faculty.
I did. It is what it is, and I won’t do it for multiple reasons. However, I do respect the part where they guarantee an interview invite should we meet the academic requirements. It’s better than one of the other graduate programs a school advertised to me where they guaranteed nothing and basically said “do this program because it might help you get into med school. And btw no we aren’t giving you any app feedback.”Anybody else get the grad program invite after being rejected? So tacky
Dying of suspense!24 hours from now more people will be future doctors!!!
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.