2021-2022 Florida International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone finding out tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know more or less the time they call? Or if they send the waitlist/rejection email before making the phone calls? :)

waitlisted :(

feel rlly sad bc i thought the interviews went well, congrats to everyone else tho!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would any current students be willing to answer some questions I have about the school?

-How often are quizzes/tests given during pre-clerkship years? Do you like the format of the curriculum?
-I've seen a lot of hate online about the city of Miami and the surrounding areas- expensive, rude/superficial people, tons of traffic, corrupt businesses, etc. I know it's the internet and to take things with a grain of salt, but I'm curious... what have your experiences been with the area?

Thanks in advance for any insight provided!

• Wow
can anyone speak on their experience of the interview day? i have mine coming up next week and i'm a bit nervous. were the interviews stressful?

can anyone speak on their experience of the interview day? i have mine coming up next week and i'm a bit nervous. were the interviews stressful?
on the first page of every school-specific thread there is a link to an interview feedback page. Click on that and you will see comments and ratings from some who have interviewed recently.

Hi All!

I received my A from FIU on the 21st! I’m super excited because it’s one of my top choices ( I did my undergrad at FIU) and I was wondering if anyone who’s been accepted has been able to find the FB page for the class of 2026 or if there’s a group me or something ?

Reactions: 1 user
Would any current students be willing to answer some questions I have about the school?

-How often are quizzes/tests given during pre-clerkship years? Do you like the format of the curriculum?
-I've seen a lot of hate online about the city of Miami and the surrounding areas- expensive, rude/superficial people, tons of traffic, corrupt businesses, etc. I know it's the internet and to take things with a grain of salt, but I'm curious... what have your experiences been with the area?

Hi !!

I was just accepted to the med school and thus cannot speak to your curriculum question. However I did attend FIU for undergrad and lived in Miami for 4 years. I LOVE Miami. There is so city like in the world. It’s one of the most beautifully diverse cities the world. There are superficial people in every major city so that’s just par for the chorus really. But rude? I’d have to wholeheartedly disagree. If you’re from the south, there is no southern hospitality down there, but I’m from the North so it’s basically the same. Everyone is friendly and kind but no one is gonna invite a stranger into their home for a cup for tea ya’know? Now the traffic? Awful. Worst traffic I’ve ever experienced. But you learn to work around it. Any major city is gonna have bad traffic. And although I love Miami, it is objectively, very expensive. But again is no more expensive than any other major city like Chicago or downtown Philly, and it’s cheaper than San Fran NY and LA by a landslide I would say.

Miami is no exception to any of the flaws of any major city in the US. Yes it has traffic, and yea the rent is high, but the pros out weigh the cons in my opinion. The food? Immaculate. The culture? One of a kind. The experience? Priceless.

Overall i loved going to FIU and going to FIU made me love Miami, and my love for Miami is what brought me back for med school.

Sorry I couldn’t answer you curriculum question but I hope I answered you city questions alright!

hey all! I was wondering if they accept update letters pre II? thanks!

Hi All!

I received my A from FIU on the 21st! I’m super excited because it’s one of my top choices ( I did my undergrad at FIU) and I was wondering if anyone who’s been accepted has been able to find the FB page for the class of 2026 or if there’s a group me or something ?
I was also accepted and I found a FB page for the class of 2026. I requested the group but my membership is still pending lol

Hi there -

Third year here, and there have been some curricular changes since I was a first year but I believe it is still similar. First year, quizzes and testing practices are fairly course-specific. For the core science classes, you tend to have a midterm after the first 2-3 weeks and a final when the course if over, at the 5-6 week mark. Quizzes are sprinkled in and tend to be formative (not graded). Second year, most of the blocks are 4 weeks long, so you have a midterm at two weeks and the final at four weeks. Fewer quizzes, but you may have an anatomy quiz or something at the start of the second week. Some courses, like cardio/pulm, are longer and thus the exams are spread out a little more.

In terms of Miami, I'm not a Miami native but I honestly love the city. Yes, it's expensive. I haven't had any issues with the people? Traffic is traffic, I listen to audio books or talk on the phone and haven't had much issue. At least in my experience, Miami has been a beautiful place to live and a ton of fun - always cool things to do and the food is excellent :)

Anyone know how much of their class is filled? I'm IS, 3.7, 512 and finished their secondary in July and nothing since...

Reactions: 4 users
Hello! I see that it was answered in this thread that FIU accepts updates letters via email, but I wanted to ask if anyone who had already submitted an update letter has received an email from FIU stating that they have received their update? My supplementary application confirmation email states that "the Office of Admissions and Recruitment cannot add and/or edit application information or components on your behalf" which I interpreted that they did not accept any updates, so now I'm not sure if they accept updates or not :cryi:
Did you get an answer to this or send an update letter and hear back? I'm also curious :confused:

Do you all think that there will be greater waitlist movement this cycle since they accepted too many students for last year's?

Do you all think that there will be greater waitlist movement this cycle since they accepted too many students for last year's?
Hard to tell. There was minimal to zero movement last cycle, but last cycle was obviously a weird because of COVID. Theres a handful of students who differed last cycle at FIU because of over acceptance so with this extra factor its especially hard to say.

anyone think its a good idea to call or email for an update? or let it be.
submitted first week of september, heard nothing back since.
getting in my head because i would like after january is considered late

anyone else hearing back today for their decision here?

Me! the anxiety is so real rn. Hoping for good news for us both
let's hope!!! i'm so nervous haha i got a phone call from a florida number this morning only to find out it was a telemarketer o_O

• Haha
let's hope!!! i'm so nervous haha i got a phone call from a florida number this morning only to find out it was a telemarketer o_O
It looks like calls have been going out around 2 Eastern 🤞

just got the call a few minutes ago!! Accepted :D super excited

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! So happy and relieved. Those who were waitlisted— I’m sure there will be more movement this year since they over-accepted last year and are likely being more cautious. There’s still a chance!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!!! Call earlier today!! OOS. Never made it off the WL here last year. Best of luck to everyone!!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone waitlisted students here planning to do the GCP? Any current GCP students or GCP alumni that I can PM for more info? Thanks in advance!