2021-2022 Florida International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone think its a good idea to call or email for an update? or let it be.
submitted first week of september, heard nothing back since.
getting in my head because i would like after january is considered late
You could send a letter of interest to remind them that you are very interested! Otherwise, I wouldn't call/email just for an update.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone think its a good idea to call or email for an update? or let it be.
submitted first week of september, heard nothing back since.
getting in my head because i would like after january is considered late

I recommend sending an update!
Here is my timeline:

Submitted: Beginning of September
Update: November
Question about update: January

I submitted an update in November, and got an automated response. Someone on the thread when I was applying said that they also submitted an update letter and only got an automatic reply. Several weeks later, they asked if it had been received since they had only gotten an automated reply, and they got an interview a few days later. So in January, I did the same thing. I asked if they had received it, and I also got an interview offer a few days later.

It could be a coincidence, but I think it shows that they are very receptive of updates. I personally greatly recommend it. I won't know for sure, but I think it had a role in my acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi All - assuming it's too late to receive a II from FIU at this time in the cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
are they still sending out IIs or are they done?

Reactions: 2 users
just FYI they call for scholarships :)))

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All - assuming it's too late to receive a II from FIU at this time in the cycle?
My notes that I took from their site say that they interview till the end of Feb, so I'm assuming that unless they want to throw me a last-second bone I'm marking it as an R :/

My notes that I took from their site say that they interview till the end of Feb, so I'm assuming that unless they want to throw me a last-second bone I'm marking it as an R :/
so weird cuz this thread seemed dead. I guess many people who got II from FIU didn't post on here

II received today via phone!!! I scheduled for March 3rd. it sounded like there were later dates available but not sure. IS, complete 12/31, but expressed interest on Friday 2/18 :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
II received today via phone!!! I scheduled for March 3rd. it sounded like there were later dates available but not sure. IS, complete 12/31, but expressed interest on Friday 2/18 :)
Congrats! What do you mean by expressed interest, if you don't mind me asking? Did you send an update letter?

does anyone know how FIU's grading system works? Is it true pass fail?? Would love some input on this thank you! Also, does anyone know when tests/quizzes are? Are they on Fridays or Mondays or scattered?

does anyone know how FIU's grading system works? Is it true pass fail?? Would love some input on this thank you! Also, does anyone know when tests/quizzes are? Are they on Fridays or Mondays or scattered?
All classes are P/F, this is what shows up on your transcript. Exams, quizzes, assignments etc are graded and you need a 75+ average to earn a P in the course. However, most courses (mostly the core medical classes) get counted toward your class rank which is reported in quartiles.

At least for M1, exams are usually Fridays or Mondays, but M1s did have an exam today so it does vary. Quizzes and assignments occur throughout the week.

All classes are P/F, this is what shows up on your transcript. Exams, quizzes, assignments etc are graded and you need a 75+ average to earn a P in the course. However, most courses (mostly the core medical classes) get counted toward your class rank which is reported in quartiles.

At least for M1, exams are usually Fridays or Mondays, but M1s did have an exam today so it does vary. Quizzes and assignments occur throughout the week.
How important is your overall internal ranking? Is this important for residency or is it just solely internal?

Reported to residency programs as far as I am aware
How important is your overall internal ranking? Is this important for residency or is it just solely internal?
Your internal ranking is not reported, just your quartile - so if you are #1 or #30, you're still first quartile. Being in the top 10ish% makes you eligible for AOA though, so that is one way residencies may know that you're higher up. It's also possible that in your dean's letter, if you are very well ranked they may mention it.

Waitlist email just now, interviewed on February 9th.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Does FIU send out post-interview rejections or is it just waitlist and acceptance?

I know waitlist movement wasn’t great last year, but doesn’t anybody know how their waitlist movement was or typically is for a normal year? Their list seems to be abnormally long

I know waitlist movement wasn’t great last year, but doesn’t anybody know how their waitlist movement was or typically is for a normal year? Their list seems to be abnormally long

Maybe they’re being extra careful because of what happened last year? Our Facebook group has a lot less students than last years.

This years has 130 students, whereas last years has 178.

Hopefully they’re under shooting and there will be good waitlist movement when kids confirm which schools they are going to? I’m not sure, but good luck y’all!!!

Maybe they’re being extra careful because of what happened last year? Our Facebook group has a lot less students than last years.

Hopefully they’re under shooting and there will be good waitlist movement when kids confirm which schools they are going to? I’m not sure, but good luck y’all!!!
Interesting… that seems like a good thing right? Any idea how many people were deferred to take seats from this years class?

II received this week! Very excited to be interviewing here and keeping my fingers crossed! 🤞🤞

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Interesting… that seems like a good thing right? Any idea how many people were deferred to take seats from this years class?

We made a group chat of students who deferred and there are seven of us. I assume that’s all of us, but potentially some didn’t join.

Are the deferred students in this Facebook group too? I just want to get an approximate headcount if possible :)

What happened last year? Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post.

What happened last year? Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post.
I believe last year FIU accepted more students than they could fit in their class so they gave some students the option to defer their acceptance for a year and enter in 2022.

Fascinating, thank you for the information. I will be withdrawing my name from consideration.

Reactions: 11 users
Can confirm from a few medical students that attend FIU and that agreed on a very toxic culture and that faculty turnover (including several deans in recent yesrs). None will disclose details on the sex assault and expulsions with me though.

Reactions: 8 users
I'd caution making decisions based on a singular student's distress with the program. For about any school I'm willing to bet you can find some ill opinion. In this case, the original poster made her post quite catchy "Med School Run by Mafia" so not surprising as its garnering attention...
It’s a series of posts over multiple years of students reporting similar things, public shaming, and there have indeed been multiple dean replacements - including FIU’s dean quitting over sexual harassment claims. If it’s just one student doing a smear campaign then it was extremely well done, including the transcript which was just atrocious. Even in Caribbean schools you’ll have people telling you they had a great time lol.

I’ll similarly be withdrawing soon, good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 11 users
I'd caution making decisions based on a singular student's distress with the program. For about any school I'm willing to bet you can find some ill opinion. In this case, the original poster made her post quite catchy "Med School Run by Mafia" so not surprising as its garnering attention...
Did you thoroughly read the post? There's quite a bit of evidence spanning back several years

Reactions: 7 users
Fascinating, thank you for the information. I will be withdrawing my name from consideration.
There’s enough evidence to support these claims that I’ll be doing the same.

Honestly, everyone else with other options should do the same. If we all withdraw in response to these posts (which I’m sure will make their way to the faculty soon, if they haven’t already) perhaps the reponse will be noticed and we can enact some positive change for current and future students.

Reactions: 14 users
There’s enough evidence to support these claims that I’ll be doing the same.

Honestly, everyone else with other options should do the same. If we all withdraw in response to these posts (which I’m sure will make their way to the faculty soon, if they haven’t already) perhaps the reponse will be noticed and we can enact some positive change for current and future students.
How do I withdraw?

How do I withdraw?
Email the adcom and say “In response to recent allegations against faculty members of your university, I’d like to withdraw my application from consideration.” That’ll get their attention! lol 😆