2021-2022 Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
are they done with interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. I have just withdrawn my A along with a full ride. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still no refund, unfortunately. Anybody else?
That sucks. Are they ignoring you, or telling you it's coming and then not following through?

If it were me, I'd try to do a credit card charge back if they won't respond. If they are responding, then I'd give them a chance, since, based on everything I've heard about these guys, I think this is disorganization and incompetence rather than malice. As annoying as it is, I'm certain they are not trying to steal $100 from you.

Reactions: 1 user
Are the still interviewing? :( Pre-ii hold since February. I followed up 5/9 and they basically said be patient.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email asking if I would be interested in an interview if a spot became available. I guess they are still interviewing!

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Just got an email asking if I would be interested in an interview if a spot became available. I guess they are still interviewing!
Omg so it’s true!! I called the office yesterday they said they interview until July 1 😳 trying not to get my hopes up bc I was accepted to a great DO program but I would love to attend HMSOM due to the accelerated option. Please send good vibes and good luck with your interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Damn they must really not want the people still on the WL. Feels bad man. ( I am on the WL. Im not throwing shade at anyone)
Don't feel bad, and please don't take anything personally. Even if they want to see more people, you can still be the next call off the WL.

Their sending out such an e-mail on 5/25 is nothing more than an indication that they are totally incompetent when it comes to running their cycle, their yield is running lower than they projected, they are getting nervous because they don't know what's going to happen when their CTE date rolls around next week, and their WL is a little thin.

It doesn't mean they are actually going to interview more people, or that anyone they do interview this late will be accepted ahead of any particular person (you! :)) currently on the WL. If they didn't reject anyone post-II, it is probably true that there are some people on the WL they just don't want. But the mere fact they might want to see more people does NOT mean they don't want you, at least not unless and until they actually interview those people AND accept them while leaving you languishing on the WL.

TBH, if anything, the e-mail tells me that they are uncomfortable with the current size of their WL, and that can actually be good news for anyone on the WL waiting for a call. I know it's not easy, but try to hang tough.

Don't feel bad, and please don't take anything personally. Even if they want to see more people, you can still be the next call off the WL.

Their sending out such an e-mail on 5/25 is nothing more than an indication that they are totally incompetent when it comes to running their cycle, their yield is running lower than they projected, they are getting nervous because they don't know what's going to happen when their CTE date rolls around next week, and their WL is a little thin.

It doesn't mean they are actually going to interview more people, or that anyone they do interview this late will be accepted ahead of any particular person (you! :)) currently on the WL. If they didn't reject anyone post-II, it is probably true that there are some people on the WL they just don't want. But the mere fact they might want to see more people does NOT mean they don't want you, at least not unless and until they actually interview those people AND accept them while leaving you languishing on the WL.

TBH, if anything, the e-mail tells me that they are uncomfortable with the current size of their WL, and that can actually be good news for anyone on the WL waiting for a call. I know it's not easy, but try to hang tough.
I've seen you evolve during the cycle from total A-hole to hype man. Appreciate the confidence you're instilling on this page and the WL page!

As a side note, I'm one of those languishing on the WL currently and I do remember someone posting a post-II R the same day I got my WL email.

• Haha
I've seen you evolve during the cycle from total A-hole to hype man. Appreciate the confidence you're instilling on this page and the WL page!

As a side note, I'm one of those languishing on the WL currently and I do remember someone posting a post-II R the same day I got my WL email.
Thanks?? :cool:.

If they did in fact send any post-II Rs, then it's certainly not the case that anyone on the WL is not admittable. It's just that, truly, all schools like to have a large buffer and don't like getting near the end of any list.

Thanks?? :cool:.

If they did in fact send any post-II Rs, then it's certainly not the case that anyone on the WL is not admittable. It's just that, truly, all schools like to have a large buffer and don't like getting near the end of any list.
They see me down at the bottom and they must be getting scared! haha

• Haha
I got it too wonder what it means
It means that you are in the subset of people they have neither interviewed nor rejected yet that they are considering giving an II to. Nothing more, nothing less.

There is no guarantee anyone receiving the e-mail will actually receive an II. And, it should go without saying, there is no guarantee that anyone receiving such a late II will ever receive an A, given the late date and the fact that there are still many people on the WL who were interviewed well before now.

Last edited:
Pre-ii hold, did not get email. Could anyone who did get the email about interviewing confirm their demographics?

How long does it take for financial aid to come in? I was accepted last week and I haven’t heard anything yet.

I got an email yesterday asking if I was still interested in interviewing and a call today to schedule the interview. They offered Tuesday 5/31 or Thursday 6/2

Me crying on the WL....
I really do urge you to hold your tears until you see what happens post-6/1. If the people interviewing next week receive As while you hear nothing, that will be the time to cry. Right now, the school is doing nothing more than seeing who else is out there in case it needs to make a lot of calls before classes begin.

I really do urge you to hold your tears until you see what happens post-6/1. If the people interviewing next week receive As while you hear nothing, that will be the time to cry. Right now, the school is doing nothing more than seeing who else is out there in case it needs to make a lot of calls before classes begin.
That was my thinking based off of what was discussed yesterday. Trying to stay positive, but at the same time not really understanding the rationale.

That was my thinking based off of what was discussed yesterday. Trying to stay positive, but at the same time not really understanding the rationale.
The rationale isn't great, but, as I said before, and I meant it, they don't have a lot of experience and don't seem to really know what they are doing. Current students have come on SDN and said as much, so it's probably a good idea to give them the benefit of the doubt and not take it personally.

It could be that they are not thrilled with whoever is left on the WL, so they are looking for more options. It is at least equally true that the WL is smaller than they are comfortable with, given the attrition they have seen to date and what they fear might happen next week, so they are just looking to restock the pantry.

If they weren't incompetent, these people would have been interviewed 2-3 months ago, and you wouldn't be stressing over it now. So I would really, honestly try to chalk it up to them not knowing what they are doing, rather than an indication you are not going to be called. The fact that they are anticipating making additional calls after 5/26 is actually good news for you, since many schools are probably done.

As I said, if these people interview next week and then get called the week after, that will be lights out if you haven't received a call by then. But until that happens, all this means is that they don't like the size of the WL, not that you won't be called.

No school risks getting close to the bottom of the WL. These guys didn't plan well ALL CYCLE LONG, so now they have to humiliate themselves, at least in front of us on SDN who share what is going on with each other, by reopening IIs in June for the current cycle.

Great news for people with no As who now have a fresh shot, but a TERRIBLE look for a US MD program that had 4 previous cycles to figure out how this works. Especially crazy given that they have one of the earliest start dates in the country. Puts them right up there with CNU and the Caribbean schools, offering interviews in June for the upcoming fall semester., although, in all fairness, there is no other comparison between Hackensack and the others. That's why it's such an awful look for them. Please give them the benefit of the doubt here. :cool:

Last edited:
That sucks. Are they ignoring you, or telling you it's coming and then not following through?

If it were me, I'd try to do a credit card charge back if they won't respond. If they are responding, then I'd give them a chance, since, based on everything I've heard about these guys, I think this is disorganization and incompetence rather than malice. As annoying as it is, I'm certain they are not trying to steal $100 from you.
I haven’t bothered calling yet just because it was always pretty hard to get a hold of them. May do the charge back if it’s not refunded by early June.

I haven’t bothered calling yet just because it was always pretty hard to get a hold of them. May do the charge back if it’s not refunded by early June.
I'd also give them a few shots by e-mail before going nuclear with the charge back, which is going to be a hassle due to the length of time between the initial charge and the dispute. Due to the relatively small amount, however, I don't think the credit card company is going to give you too hard a time.

The rationale isn't great, but, as I said before, and I meant it, they don't have a lot of experience and don't seem to really know what they are doing. Current students have come on SDN and said as much, so it's probably a good idea to give them the benefit of the doubt and not take it personally.

It could be that they are not thrilled with whoever is left on the WL, so they are looking for more options. It is at least equally true that the WL is smaller than they are comfortable with, given the attrition they have seen to date and what they fear might happen next week, so they are just looking to restock the pantry.

If they weren't incompetent, these people would have been interviewed 2-3 months ago, and you wouldn't be stressing over it now. So I would really, honestly try to chalk it up to them not knowing what they are doing, rather than an indication you are not going to be called. The fact that they are anticipating making additional calls after 5/26 is actually good news for you, since many schools are probably done.

As I said, if these people interview next week and then get called the week after, that will be lights out if you haven't received a call by then. But until that happens, all this means is that they don't like the size of the WL, not that you won't be called.

No school risks getting close to the bottom of the WL. These guys didn't plan well ALL CYCLE LONG, so now they have to humiliate themselves, at least in front of us on SDN who share what is going on with each other, by reopening IIs in June for the current cycle.

Great news for people with no As who now have a fresh shot, but a TERRIBLE look for a US MD program that had 4 previous cycles to figure out how this works. Especially crazy given that they have one of the earliest start dates in the country. Puts them right up there with CNU and the Caribbean schools, offering interviews in June for the upcoming fall semester., although, in all fairness, there is no other comparison between Hackensack and the others. That's why it's such an awful look for them. Please give them the benefit of the doubt here. :cool:
I get all of that, but the thing for me is why not just outright reject me instead of placing me on a waitlist that they didn't want to exhaust before resorting to such extreme measures? Interviewing in May/June for a mid July start is crazy.

No offense to anyone that got invited to interview, but as you said, there's a reason why they didn't get invited earlier in the cycle as opposed to right now. So many questions and likely no answers to be given.

I get all of that, but the thing for me is why not just outright reject me instead of placing me on a waitlist that they didn't want to exhaust before resorting to such extreme measures? Interviewing in May/June for a mid July start is crazy.

No offense to anyone that got invited to interview, but as you said, there's a reason why they didn't get invited earlier in the cycle as opposed to right now. So many questions and likely no answers to be given.
Yup, but you are coming from a place where you are assuming rejection. That might end up being the case, but it's premature right now.

No one wants to risk exhausting a WL, because what do you do then if you need one more person? They always err on the side of caution by having many more people (at least a few dozen) than they need.

It might be that you are a soft R. It might also be that you will be getting a call in the next week or two, and these interviews are to back fill in case they need to make more calls after you. Just no way to know.

Given that two IIs have been reported on SDN, it's reasonable to expect that one or two dozen have been scheduled. My whole point was that if HMSOM wasn't incompetent, these interviews would have been conducted in February or March, and you'd be in the exact same position you are anyway, but not worrying about this.

I agree that there is no substitute for a call off the WL, but all this means is that they under interviewed, not that they are not going to be calling any more people off the current WL! And yes, absolutely no shade at all to anyone who is going to be interviewed next week, but everyone already on the WL started out higher on the proverbial @LizzyM staircase than those first being interviewed now. They are going to have to overcome that in order to receive an A ahead of anyone currently on the WL. Not that they can't, but I wouldn't consider it a done deal as you seem to be doing.

As far as I'm concerned, the questions and answers begin and end with the adcom being unhappy with the size, as opposed to necessarily the composition, of the WL going into 6/1, given how many folks apparently dropped their As and their position on the WL to date.

Just a note the Facebook page has been slowly rising. I’m not sure if these are new As or current med students joining to help out in the conversations.

Yup, but you are coming from a place where you are assuming rejection. That might end up being the case, but it's premature right now.

No one wants to risk exhausting a WL, because what do you do then if you need one more person? They always err on the side of caution by having many more people (at least a few dozen) than they need.

It might be that you are a soft R. It might also be that you will be getting a call in the next week or two, and these interviews are to back fill in case they need to make more calls after you. Just no way to know.

Given that two IIs have been reported on SDN, it's reasonable to expect that one or two dozen have been scheduled. My whole point was that if HMSOM wasn't incompetent, these interviews would have been conducted in February or March, and you'd be in the exact same position you are anyway, but not worrying about this.

I agree that there is no substitute for a call off the WL, but all this means is that they under interviewed, not that they are not going to be calling any more people off the current WL! And yes, absolutely no shade at all to anyone who is going to be interviewed next week, but everyone already on the WL started out higher on the proverbial @LizzyM staircase than those first being interviewed now. They are going to have to overcome that in order to receive an A ahead of anyone currently on the WL. Not that they can't, but I wouldn't consider it a done deal as you seem to be doing.

As far as I'm concerned, the questions and answers begin and end with the adcom being unhappy with the size, as opposed to necessarily the composition, of the WL going into 6/1, given how many folks apparently dropped their As and their position on the WL to date.
I hear what you're saying. Very hard pill to swallow. The emotional roller coaster this cycle has presented has been unreal. Will continue waiting patiently over the next couple of weeks and see what happens. Thank you for the kind words!

I'd also give them a few shots by e-mail before going nuclear with the charge back, which is going to be a hassle due to the length of time between the initial charge and the dispute. Due to the relatively small amount, however, I don't think the credit card company is going to give you too hard a time.
I’m just curious if anybody has gotten it back, because truth be hold, my bank is very bad with this type of stuff lol

Ok lets see here

1. I don't see how there would be any negative impact to operations. Not the best person to ask though.
2. Not sure what the timelines are. You could probably answer that better than I.
- P3R program for students looking at primary care, IM, gen surg, anesthesia. I would keep in mind that, as more students enter each class, the prospect of a "guaranteed" anesthesia spot becomes lower (for example).
- Close to nyc. You can get on an NJ transit bus right in front of campus and make it to mid town in 25 min or so.
- Id say we have good faculty that are decently well connected.
- Your rotation sites are geographically burdensome. One site is in North Jersey and others are in South jersey. If you live near the main hospital and get a rotation site in Jersey shore, your drive could be an hour. I don't know the status of the school provided housing down south. This is a huge hassle in my opinion.
- The preclinical education leaves significant room for improvement. This is a new school, so the in house educational materials are still being made. Finally, everything is in person which is a pain.
- clerkships could be better learning in my view but I feel like clerkships are hit or miss everywhere in the country.
- there are no home programs for many competitive specialities. You really rely on those programs for support when applying.
- the admins make unforced errors on occasion but I'm sure that will improve with experience
5. Manhattan is very accessible.
6. Hard to answer that.
Hi! Would you mind letting me know how difficult it is for students to pass all exams in order to be eligible for the 3yr program? Is it generally expected that students will pass all exams the first time, or is it like 50+% of students fail at least on exam?

Hi! Would you mind letting me know how difficult it is for students to pass all exams in order to be eligible for the 3yr program? Is it generally expected that students will pass all exams the first time, or is it like 50+% of students fail at least on exam?
or does anyone know the answer to this? The 3 year program is contigent on students passing all exams (as most courses only consist of one exam) so I'm just wondering how many actually do

does anyone know how much more accelerated and stressful this curriculum is vs other schools? It seems like we get minimal breaks and step one comes after you start rotations…

Difficult in the sense that it is a lot of work (which you obviously expect) but in terms of actual numbers i'd ballpark at least 80% will pass all exams on the first try. The areas where the main struggles occur is the Anatomy exam and your first shelf, though this is just my opinion.

does anyone know how much more accelerated and stressful this curriculum is vs other schools? It seems like we get minimal breaks and step one comes after you start rotations…
I can't say how much harder it is than other schools but your statement is correct, there are minimal breaks and for me personally, it's been quite stressful at times. On the flip side, the accelerated curriculum gives you opportunities in your 4th year not avaliable at other schools. Whether that trade is worth it, that's up to you.