2023-2024 Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Hackensack Meridian Secondary Prompts

1. Why are you interested in attending the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine? (500 words)

2. Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Describe a circumstance where you sought to learn about a culture, group or idea different than your own and how that impacted you. (500 words)

3. Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including: coursework, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work opportunity, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences? (500 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Could you post the questions?
@chilly_md Excluding the usual criminal and reapplicant questions:

Why are you interested in attending the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine? (500 words)

Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Describe a circumstance where you sought to learn about a culture, group or idea different than your own and how that impacted you. (500 words)

Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including: coursework, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work opportunity, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences? (500 words)

Reactions: 1 users
JK in state secondary received and I can confirm these are the prompts
@chilly_md Excluding the usual criminal and reapplicant questions:

Why are you interested in attending the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine? (500 words)

Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Describe a circumstance where you sought to learn about a culture, group or idea different than your own and how that impacted you. (500 words)

Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including: coursework, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work opportunity, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences? (500 words)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Damn y'all using all 500 words for each prompt?
Will probably try to hit 400 for these at least. It's not worth BSing to reach that limit tbh but you should get somewhat close

And 9500 characters later... finally submitted. Man this one was a killer.

• Care
Is Casper and Duet required? I saw on there website yes but their secondary app doesn't show a space for it. Anyone have any info??

Is Casper and Duet required? I saw on there website yes but their secondary app doesn't show a space for it. Anyone have any info??
I found this in their FAQ section:

Are there any situational judgement assessments required?
Yes, as of the 2024 cycle we now require both the CASper and Duet assessments as part of the minimum admission requirements.

has anyone been marked complete by the office? trying to figure out how long it takes

dang I already took CASper but I'm not about to take Duet and pay the fee just for this one school...looks like Hackensack is being dropped :/
Same... I checked back in May and they only had Casper...

Last edited:
Same wtf. I checked back in May and they only had Casper...
yeah exactly. just annoying cause if they had been more clear on this I could've saved myself the primary app fee

I had no idea duet was required either. Hackensack didn't even show up on my acuity list of medical schools for casper when I sent the scores for some reason but it might've been because I took the test pretty early in the cycle.

I just sent both scores in though.

Thanks for bringing this up!

They definitely didn't have it on their site until recently. According to a digital archive, it was added sometime between June 9 and July 25.

They also weren't on Acuity Insights' list when I took it last month...

Thanks for bringing this up!

They definitely didn't have it on their site until recently. According to a digital archive, it was added sometime between June 9 and July 25.

They also weren't on Acuity Insights' list when I took it last month...
Yup they 100% didn't have it on the acuity list before. So glad I checked this SDN thread. Otherwise I wouldn't have sent my scores in

idk why but their questions are annoying me so much

Its the 500 word limit for me
yeah... and the third question is so scattered. they just combined a bunch of questions (adversity, clinical experience, service experience, gap year, research) into one question asking how we're prepared for medicine... do you think it would be valid to focus on my gap year job of being a clinical research coordinator and talk about how that is preparing me to become a physician? the way they list so much stuff is making me unsure.

omg i just realized their why us is 500 words too. BRUH

• Haha
yeah... and the third question is so scattered. they just combined a bunch of questions (adversity, clinical experience, service experience, gap year, research) into one question asking how we're prepared for medicine... do you think it would be valid to focus on my gap year job of being a clinical research coordinator and talk about how that is preparing me to become a physician? the way they list so much stuff is making me unsure.
I think that could be fine. The way it mentions life experiences made me list some stuff I did more so in the past than the present, but I think what you mentioned would still answer the prompt. I don't think they expect you to hit all the different categories (or at least I hope so). They put an and/or at the end sooo.

I think that could be fine. The way it mentions life experiences made me list some stuff I did more so in the past than the present, but I think what you mentioned would still answer the prompt. I don't think they expect you to hit all the different categories (or at least I hope so). They put an and/or at the end sooo.
I did the same as you.

Also to the original poster - I wouldn't focus on one experience. I included 3 extracurriculars that prepare me for medicine and dropped a challenge essay at the end.

I feel like academics speak for themself. You can't really point to stuff about them that they can't already see. So I didn't include that.

This was the essay I did the least work on too since I just took stuff I already wrote for other schools and changed it up to fix into 1 essay

• Love
MSAR still has them associated with Seton Hall which they haven't been since 2020 according to their website. Seems like they did not communicate their requirements (or school name lmao) with MSAR and also added them pretty last minute which is annoying af

I did the same as you.

Also to the original poster - I wouldn't focus on one experience. I included 3 extracurriculars that prepare me for medicine and dropped a challenge essay at the end.

I feel like academics speak for themself. You can't really point to stuff about them that they can't already see. So I didn't include that.

This was the essay I did the least work on too since I just took stuff I already wrote for other schools and changed it up to fix into 1 essay
Yeah I think you guys are right not to focus on one experience. Honestly hadn't thought about how much space 500 words gives us. That being said, for the multiple experiences, are you connecting them to one another in how they helped prepare you? Some of what I want to talk about is quite different from others.. think it would be OK to kind of just transition from one thing to the next without a super thoughtful connection?

Yeah I think you guys are right not to focus on one experience. Honestly hadn't thought about how much space 500 words gives us. That being said, for the multiple experiences, are you connecting them to one another in how they helped prepare you? Some of what I want to talk about is quite different from others.. think it would be OK to kind of just transition from one thing to the next without a super thoughtful connection?
Yeah I didn't really connect them together. But make sure it doesn't sound like you just pasted a bunch of paragraphs from other secondaries to meet the 500 word limit since I think they likely see that a lot. This is my outline:

Medical journey began with this experience....

Then I went on to do this experience...

Finally I did this experience...

You get the jist.

• Love
Don't expect to hear much from this school. It's a wonderful place but they're slightly unorganized and their cycle runs a little later than others. I wouldn't expect IIs or any response to come till mid-September.

M2 here. So far most of my cohorts and I are enjoying it very much. Highly recommend this place.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Don't expect to hear much from this school. It's a wonderful place but they're slightly unorganized and their cycle runs a little later than others. I wouldn't expect IIs or any response to come till mid-September.

M2 here. So far most of my cohorts and I are enjoying it very much. Highly recommend this place.
Slightly is an understatement. Also have enjoyed my time here. M4, let me know if you have questions for me and good luck!

• Wow
Does anyone still have their letters of recommendation and prerequisites marked as "pending review"?