2021-2022 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they screen for secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I received an II from them just now but it was just a general admissions email.

• Hmm
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
They had us start signing up for the student panel for interview day! ☺️ Super excited to meet some of you!

Reactions: 4 users
Haven't logged on here in awhile.

Happy to see you're still my biggest fan. Next time, please @ me so I'm actually notified and can respond. It's a bit unfair to say I was "scarred off" when you don't even send me a love letter. Hope you're enjoying Boise, bud.
Man if I actually wanted to hear from you I’d have DMd you. Your misinformation wasn’t welcome then and it isn’t now.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the interview waitlist hold this morning. Revamped my app so hopefully it helps

Does anyone know if CASPer is required? An adcom during a virtual expo said no, then I see online that it does in some places, but I also did not see it on ICOM's website lol

Does anyone know if CASPer is required? An adcom during a virtual expo said no, then I see online that it does in some places, but I also did not see it on ICOM's website lol
I was accepted without ever taking Casper but idk if that was an ICOM thing or just a COVID cycle thing…just send admissions and email, they’re super responsive and helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted without ever taking Casper but idk if that was an ICOM thing or just a COVID cycle thing…just send admissions and email, they’re super responsive and helpful!
Oh weird, okay thanks!

Got the interview waitlist hold this morning. Revamped my app so hopefully it helps
+1

For those curious it said, “Thank you for your continued interest in our program! We have completed the review of your secondary application and your application is being held for interview consideration by our Admissions Committee.”

lol I submitted my secondary like 2 days ago so they must’ve had this hold revved up until they got that $. Oh well RIP

+1

For those curious it said, “Thank you for your continued interest in our program! We have completed the review of your secondary application and your application is being held for interview consideration by our Admissions Committee.”

lol I submitted my secondary like 2 days ago so they must’ve had this hold revved up until they got that $. Oh well RIP
Look earlier in this message board. That “hold” is a way of acknowledging completion and people have already come off it for interviews. Not a rejection, hang in there

Reactions: 2 users
quick question: I am still submitting my sec but I am a OOS with NO ties to the five states...I know there are students from everywhere but with a very unbalanced mcat 504 is it worth applying?

Reapplicant, 3.5 smp gpa, 2.9 ugpa, lots of ecs, military, firefighter, publication, 503 mcat, decent story with a good upwards trend

1st year ICOM student here! If you guys have any questions feel free to DM me. This cycle is just getting started for many of you. I know it was a VERY long cycle for me last year. I applied to ICOM in early June 2020, got waitlisted for an interview, interviewed in November, got waitlisted for an acceptance, and got pulled off the waitlist in mid-June 2021. Literally took a whole year.

So far I am loving ICOM and am really glad to be here. For those applying and are somewhat uncertain of ICOM's financial assistance please read below.

ICOM is not fully accredited yet. Which is not a bad thing. We are a new school and will be graduating our first class this year. They did very well on their board exams, just below the national average. Which is very good for a new school that is still working things out. Because we are not fully accredited as of yet, we cannot get federal loans. Our loans come from private lenders. If you apply to ICOM, and are accepted, and do decide to attend, you may need a cosigner for these loans. Depending on your credit or your cosigners credit, your interest can be in the double digits. We anticipate access to federal loans beginning Fall 2023.

After that bit of a downer, here is an upper....I was placed on academic probation after my first year of undergrad. My undergraduate GPA was a 2.6. My first MCAT score was a 492. I went to graduate school for a MS in Biology, ended up graduating with a MBA instead. My graduate GPA was a 3.7 (mix of graduate level biology and business courses). My 2nd attempt at the MCAT was a 509. I graduated undergrad in 2016. My gap "year" was a total of 5 years.

1st year ICOM student here! If you guys have any questions feel free to DM me. This cycle is just getting started for many of you. I know it was a VERY long cycle for me last year. I applied to ICOM in early June 2020, got waitlisted for an interview, interviewed in November, got waitlisted for an acceptance, and got pulled off the waitlist in mid-June 2021. Literally took a whole year.

So far I am loving ICOM and am really glad to be here. For those applying and are somewhat uncertain of ICOM's financial assistance please read below.

ICOM is not fully accredited yet. Which is not a bad thing. We are a new school and will be graduating our first class this year. They did very well on their board exams, just below the national average. Which is very good for a new school that is still working things out. Because we are not fully accredited as of yet, we cannot get federal loans. Our loans come from private lenders. If you apply to ICOM, and are accepted, and do decide to attend, you may need a cosigner for these loans. Depending on your credit or your cosigners credit, your interest can be in the double digits. We anticipate access to federal loans beginning Fall 2023.

After that bit of a downer, here is an upper....I was placed on academic probation after my first year of undergrad. My undergraduate GPA was a 2.6. My first MCAT score was a 492. I went to graduate school for a MS in Biology, ended up graduating with a MBA instead. My graduate GPA was a 3.7 (mix of graduate level biology and business courses). My 2nd attempt at the MCAT was a 509. I graduated undergrad in 2016. My gap "year" was a total of 5 years.
That’s so badass to hear! Thanks for sharing! How was the interview??

That’s so badass to hear! Thanks for sharing! How was the interview??
I thought the interview was pretty fair. I recommend checking out the book below by Dr. Ryan Gray. It's not the secret recipe to killing the med school interview, but it has some solid info and tips. Def worth the $13. If you're invited for an interview that should bring a sigh of relief. It's really a conversation

Amazon product

Reactions: 1 users
I thought the interview was pretty fair. I recommend checking out the book below by Dr. Ryan Gray. It's not the secret recipe to killing the med school interview, but it has some solid info and tips. Def worth the $13. If you're invited for an interview that should bring a sigh of relief. It's really a conversation

Amazon product

Got it!! Thank you! I've seen his videos online when I was writing my primary so I know he's awesome lol

If any of your are curious what a week in the life of a med student at ICOM is like see below

Mornings - 8am sharp. Mornings are for lecture. You can expect 4 lectures on average per morning. This will range from material covering the block you are to, to anatomy, to OPP, to the US healthcare system

Afternoons - Monday afternoons consist of physician skills lab, T/Th (depending) is anatomy, Wednesday is OPP, and Friday we usually have Deans Hour for a bit.

Depending on the day, you will finish around 3-5pm, some days you’ll finish at noon.

Reactions: 3 users
If any of your are curious what a week in the life of a med student at ICOM is like see below

Mornings - 8am sharp. Mornings are for lecture. You can expect 4 lectures on average per morning. This will range from material covering the block you are to, to anatomy, to OPP, to the US healthcare system

Afternoons - Monday afternoons consist of physician skills lab, T/Th (depending) is anatomy, Wednesday is OPP, and Friday we usually have Deans Hour for a bit.

Depending on the day, you will finish around 3-5pm, some days you’ll finish at noon.
That’s for first years specifically tho. Second yeses and those after first semester first year don’t have anatomy

They did very well on their board exams, just below the national average.
To clarify our pass rate was 93.3%, the national average was 94.3%. Thats one of the higher pass rates for a first time class. Specific numerical scores have not been released, so any statistic on that is likely false.

You can see the 2019-2020 data here COMLEX-USA Examination Performance Data — NBOME
Other schools data here: COMLEX Level 1 First Time Pass Rates - 2012-2016

We anticipate access to federal loans beginning Fall 2023.
This is a big guess. Nothing has been confirmed yet. The earliest we can get it would be the day we are accredited, but its in the hands of the US government so I'm not sure you can expect a quick turnaround. So to be short, yes it could be by Fall of 2023, but it could also be much sooner than that. Truthfully, trying to put a time estimate on it is like betting on the government to actually come through on a promise with is giga yikes.

That’s for first years specifically tho. Second yeses and those after first semester first year don’t have anatomy
Yeah i'd agree with what BW said. There are some mandatory lectures and the quantity changes block to block. For example, any adjunct lecture will be mandatory attendance and our psych block is full of them, which translates to a lot of early mornings. But looking ahead to GI, we barely have any mandatory lectures, so you get a lot more freedom with your schedule. Anatomy is only in your 1st semester of your 1st year so after that you're schedule frees up quite a bit. Clinical skills and OPP lab are in the afternoons, with 1 day for OPP and 1-2 days for clinical skills.

Dean's hour isn't a real class, so much as info from the school regarding things like updates on campus, choosing rotation sites, boards prep etc. At best its about twice a month and the day can vary.

To clarify our pass rate was 93.3%, the national average was 94.3%. Thats one of the higher pass rates for a first time class. Specific numerical scores have not been released, so any statistic on that is likely false.

You can see the 2019-2020 data here COMLEX-USA Examination Performance Data — NBOME
Other schools data here: COMLEX Level 1 First Time Pass Rates - 2012-2016

This is a big guess. Nothing has been confirmed yet. The earliest we can get it would be the day we are accredited, but its in the hands of the US government so I'm not sure you can expect a quick turnaround. So to be short, yes it could be by Fall of 2023, but it could also be much sooner than that. Truthfully, trying to put a time estimate on it is like betting on the government to actually come through on a promise with is giga yikes.

Yeah i'd agree with what BW said. There are some mandatory lectures and the quantity changes block to block. For example, any adjunct lecture will be mandatory attendance and our psych block is full of them, which translates to a lot of early mornings. But looking ahead to GI, we barely have any mandatory lectures, so you get a lot more freedom with your schedule. Anatomy is only in your 1st semester of your 1st year so after that you're schedule frees up quite a bit. Clinical skills and OPP lab are in the afternoons, with 1 day for OPP and 1-2 days for clinical skills.

Dean's hour isn't a real class, so much as info from the school regarding things like updates on campus, choosing rotation sites, boards prep etc. At best its about twice a month and the day can vary.

There’s random things here and there but after the first semester of first year, your life gets a bit more routine.

just wanted to add in here in case anyone else is in the same boat... i received the "we still haven't received your secondary email" yesterday, even though i had submitted my secondary, received a confirmation, paid the fee, etc. beginning of august. i almost ignored it, but i ended up emailing them just to check. turns out apparently a glitch in their system hadn't marked my app as complete, and it was sitting in application purgatory. the person i emailed was super apologetic and kind and pushed it through ASAP, but i just wanted to pass along in case anyone else who submitted a secondary got that email as well!!

Is the “your application is being held for interview consideration” a general secondary confirmation email that everyone gets?

Is the “your application is being held for interview consideration” a general secondary confirmation email that everyone gets?

i just got the same and my app was pushed through yesterday at noon

This is the email I got between getting a “hey we’re going to start interviews” and “hey you’re going to be interviewed”

I wouldn’t worry yet in your process y’all. It’s still super early.

Attachments

• FE61F8F4-9254-4506-A767-E5D6B87C02D7.jpeg
    FE61F8F4-9254-4506-A767-E5D6B87C02D7.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 154
Just received the acceptance call!!

Reactions: 6 users
Been complete since early July but no II or R so far

• Care
Congrats to those accepted! Welcome to ICOM!

I got accepted yesterday as well! So grateful and excited to meet some of you!!!

Y'all, I didn't get my interview until Sept 28. I got in Oct 2. You're still totally okay.

I am back to this thread with awesome news! I will be interviewing in 2 weeks! Thank you current OMS for the helpful messages and support :)

• Love
I am back to this thread with awesome news! I will be interviewing in 2 weeks! Thank you current OMS for the helpful messages and support :)
Did you get your II today?! It has been a few weeks since anyone has, so that is good to hear! Also congrats :) sending best wishes.

Congrats!! So awesome! What were your stats and interview like?
3.95 GPA both science/cumulative and 506 MCAT. Interview went really well, it was a pretty easy going and low stress I thought! Overall I had a great experience.

3.95 GPA both science/cumulative and 506 MCAT. Interview went really well, it was a pretty easy going and low stress I thought! Overall I had a great experience.
great stats damn! what questions did they ask? people say ICOM is especially easy going but jw how i can best prepare

Hold for interview today.. feel like I’ll be here for a while

• Care