2021-2022 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Although I did not receive any additional emails outside of the 'secondary received' email, my ICOM portal now shows 100% completion.

Hopefully, I will join the review stage with the rest of you all soon! I have yet to be so excited about a program during this process; fingers crossed it all works out soon :) !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Although I did not receive any additional emails outside of the 'secondary received' email, my ICOM portal now shows 100% completion.

Hopefully, I will join the review stage with the rest of you all soon! I have yet to be so excited about a program during this process; fingers crossed it all works out soon :) !
Congrats! I wish I had a portal when I was applying haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the email regarding application review and being held for interview consideration like you guys!! After reading the email over, it seems this is just the program's way of acknowledging a complete & reviewed application, not a traditional pre-II hold, as I have come to understand other programs may offer.

Rapid turn-around 3 business days, submitted last weekend.

I am super excited to be progressing through this process with all of you guys!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Just received the email regarding application review and being held for interview consideration like you guys!! After reading the email over, it seems this is just the program's way of acknowledging a complete & reviewed application, not a traditional pre-II hold, as I have come to understand other programs may offer.

I am super excited to be progressing through this process with all of you guys!! :)
Correct @Bart101 you hit the nail on the head !
A Pre-II hold is when your application is "On Hold". Yes, that;s depressing.

This message is more like -- "Your app is complete. More later... i.e. II"

ICOM never really did holds. They really were quite good about communication.

It’s a wonderful program. The admin is fantastic.
Current 2nd year at ICOM here. Also willing to answer any questions anyone may have.

So a question for both of you - were you aware of the controversies around the school and how ultimately it is? I will leave the link to uninitiated:
(#4 by --Gem, in case it fails to scroll you to the post itself).

I personally REALLY like the school and already added it to my app... but finding that worries me a lot.

So a question for both of you - were you aware of the controversies around the school and how ultimately it is? I will leave the link to uninitiated:

I personally REALLY like the school and already added it to my app... but finding that worries me a lot.
Don’t believe everything you read. I have heard nothing but good things from the current students I went to undergrad with. Not saying there isn’t any merit to some of the claims in all honesty no one will know till a few classes graduate but when admin and staff care this much about students and premeds I personally believe only good can come.

Don’t believe everything you read. I have heard nothing but good things from the current students I went to undergrad with. Not saying there isn’t any merit to some of the claims in all honesty no one will know till a few classes graduate but when admin and staff care this much about students and premeds I personally believe only good can come.
That's why I'm also asking around - I heard a lot of FUD about my undergrad, went there, graduated and I SERIOUSLY cannot say anything negative. Thinking about what I've heard before just makes me shrug and wonder how people managed to not get a good experience.
Reading ICOMs materials they obviously seem like a caring school. The fact it's for-profit it's a moot point but a lot of people complain about that. However, profit/non-profit is merely a collection of tax tricks 99% of the time.

That's why I'm also asking around - I heard a lot of FUD about my undergrad, went there, graduated and I SERIOUSLY cannot say anything negative. Thinking about what I've heard before just makes me shrug and wonder how people managed to not get a good experience.
Reading ICOMs materials they obviously seem like a caring school. The fact it's for-profit it's a moot point but a lot of people complain about that. However, profit/non-profit is merely a collection of tax tricks 99% of the time.
Yeah I’d agree. I think everybody fits somewhere but not everybody fits EVERYWHERE. I like how they are handling admissions and I have 3 friends who are OMS-1-OMA-3. They all love it but again no one knows the stats here til they graduate a few classes.

hope you have some luck here I’m sure you’ll love it!

Ignore Gem. His post is now out of date and misinformed. Apply here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ignore Gem. His post is now out of date and misinformed. Apply here!
Would you mind elaborating on that further? How is his post out of date? It seems like he made it recently. I'm not sure why he seems so hell bent on attacking ICOM in particular (I've seen his posts here and on reddit) but I've never seen anyone really refute any of his points. Would love to hear your perspective on why you think his opinion is misinformed.

Would you mind elaborating on that further? How is his post out of date? It seems like he made it recently. I'm not sure why he seems so hell bent on attacking ICOM in particular (I've seen his posts here and on reddit) but I've never seen anyone really refute any of his points. Would love to hear your perspective on why you think his opinion is misinformed.
Here is a phenomenal rebuttal from last years post.

Post in: '2020-2021 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)'
2020-2021 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Thanks for the link! That clears things up a bit. I've only heard good things about this program from current students. I wonder why gem hasn't posted the same comment in this years thread. Maybe the high COMLEX pass rate changed his mind?

You smell that y’all? A fresh SDN page for the next application cycle and Gem hasn’t even attempted to destroy it yet! Impressive! We must’ve beaten them to the punch this year. I have no doubt that they will come along shortly to add their pitiful, disparaging comments once again. I highly doubt that they have even taken the time to check out our first time pass rate for COMLEX. They are probably too busy “copying and pasting” from previous SDN and Reddit threads onto the new ones for the new cycle.

Shoutout to @voppp for quoting my reply from last year. Saves me from having to type it all out again but I still stand firm on each one of those previous points. I should note, however, that there is a change in the residency match for Idaho. Nothing that changes my position, only furthers it. Now there are 3 residency programs in Idaho. Yeah, you read that right, 3 whole programs! (Moving up baby!) Family Med, Internal Med, and now Psych! But, not to the surprise of anyone, and much to the furthering of my previous points, not all of the spots were filled once again. Therefore, there is still room in Idaho for more physicians in residency training. Shocker.

To tack onto what some of my colleagues and future colleagues have already put on here, I am a 2nd year at ICOM and am usually a fairly active individual on SDN. Happy to answer any questions for anyone, either on this thread or through DM‘s.

Thanks for the link! That clears things up a bit. I've only heard good things about this program from current students. I wonder why gem hasn't posted the same comment in this years thread. Maybe the high COMLEX pass rate changed his mind?
On one hand, they are younger students who just started school at ICOM, so it’s hard to get much of an idea. Mr./Dr. T was a first year when he posted that and those students aren’t as likely to rock the boat, especially just a few months in since they haven’t probably experienced anything bad with the administration. I would continue with the process and ask some him again about rotations and maybe check with any 3rd or 4th years later on in the cycle.

That said, his argument was very strong. I am not planning to apply here, but attended an info session they had. Everyone was very professional and the facilities are all modern. A more established school always helps with residency, but you can weigh that when the time comes to commit to a school. Voppp chose this school over many others, and was very genuine and open last cycle, so that speaks volume that ICOM put any concerns at ease (Lecom not so much I’ve heard haha)

Voppp, sorry for peeping on your old posts. Just wanted to know ahead of time when the first II’s came out for a lot of schools, and your name kept popping up in those threads 😂

• Haha

only so many times you can be wrong about the same thing I guess.

Objectively speaking I also wouldn't let my guard down just based on the pass rate. A school without a match list will always have some inherent risk.

Nah he just was a butthurt student and lost interest.

You smell that y’all? A fresh SDN page for the next application cycle and Gem hasn’t even attempted to destroy it yet! Impressive! We must’ve beaten them to the punch this year. I have no doubt that they will come along shortly to add their pitiful, disparaging comments once again. I highly doubt that they have even taken the time to check out our first time pass rate for COMLEX. They are probably too busy “copying and pasting” from previous SDN and Reddit threads onto the new ones for the new cycle.

Shoutout to @voppp for quoting my reply from last year. Saves me from having to type it all out again but I still stand firm on each one of those previous points. I should note, however, that there is a change in the residency match for Idaho. Nothing that changes my position, only furthers it. Now there are 3 residency programs in Idaho. Yeah, you read that right, 3 whole programs! (Moving up baby!) Family Med, Internal Med, and now Psych! But, not to the surprise of anyone, and much to the furthering of my previous points, not all of the spots were filled once again. Therefore, there is still room in Idaho for more physicians in residency training. Shocker.

To tack onto what some of my colleagues and future colleagues have already put on here, I am a 2nd year at ICOM and am usually a fairly active individual on SDN. Happy to answer any questions for anyone, either on this thread or through DM‘s.
Hopefully no more Gem! Also, I hope to meet ya next week when I start orientation!

only so many times you can be wrong about the same thing I guess.

Objectively speaking I also wouldn't let my guard down just based on the pass rate. A school without a match list will always have some inherent risk.
Yes, I agree. But I have no reason to believe that the match list for ICOMs inaugural class will look any different from the match lists of other recently accredited DO schools (BCOM, RVU-COM, etc.) Mostly primary care with a few stand out matches. I think this program is a safe choice for students who aren't interested in pursuing super competitive specialties but want the security of being a US Medical graduate when it comes time to apply for the match.

Yes, I agree. But I have no reason to believe that the match list for ICOMs inaugural class will look any different from the match lists of other recently accredited DO schools (BCOM, RVU-COM, etc.) Mostly primary care with a few stand out matches. I think this program is a safe choice for students who aren't interested in pursuing super competitive specialties but want the security of being a US Medical graduate when it comes time to apply for the match.
That’s not always the case. Many DO students go into other specialties too. Especially in a rural setting such that ICOM gives towards, it’ll be more likely a large percentage of gen surg, EM, and others mixed in.

They like the five state region but there is loads of example, even some above, about students from all over the nation getting accepted here. Not sure on MCaT.
Do they favor IS more, also average MCAT?
Probably 505 or 506.

ICOM - Admissions Info

Most of the information you guys seek is already there for you. Just need to go to the school website.........Just scroll to the bottom of that link.........

A school's website will almost always be more accurate than an unfiltered/unmonitored chat website.

ICOM - Admissions Info

Most of the information you guys seek is already there for you. Just need to go to the school website.........Just scroll to the bottom of that link.........

A school's website will almost always be more accurate than an unfiltered/unmonitored chat website.
You of all people know that the random SDN user ultimately knows more than adcoms... duh...

• Haha
Being held for interview consideration +something🤞🏽Did everyone’s secondary portal page disappear after submitting it? Doesn’t matter but I liked seeing two 100% completed checkboxes haha

Being held for interview consideration +something🤞🏽Did everyone’s secondary portal page disappear after submitting it? Doesn’t matter but I liked seeing two 100% completed checkboxes haha
To be fair, I was also held for consideration for II. I don’t think they’re too picky with who gets one but they are with who gets it first.

How strict is the 3.2 cGPA and sGPA requirement? Will they auto reject you if you have a 3.1 sGPA?

how long did it take to get a secondary from ICOM after getting the initial portal email? i just submitted today..

Everytime I see new messages in this thread my heart drops haha, I love this program so much ahhhhh

how long did it take to get a secondary from ICOM after getting the initial portal email? i just submitted today..
3 days here , but it looks like on here from past threads it could take a week or so,probably depends on how many they get at that time . Good luck!

Everytime I see new messages in this thread my heart drops haha, I love this program so
Everytime I see new messages in this thread my heart drops haha, I love this program so much ahhhhh
Lol at least I know I’m not the only one obsessively checking this page. I just can’t wait to see when anyone gets an official interview invite

Should I contact admissions if I haven’t recieved a secondary and I submitted my primary on 7/5? I’m on the waitlist still here from last cycle

I'm so excited to see that people are excited to attend here!

I'm so excited to see that people are excited to attend here!
Since secondaries went out in July. can we hope to get II's in August instead of September ?
Do you have any inside knowledge you would like to share ?

Since secondaries went out in July. can we hope to get II's in August instead of September ?
Do you have any inside knowledge you would like to share ?
hahah. I would expect IIs beginning soon given we’re finishing orientation but some of our admissions and profs are out of town till Monday. So I’d think late August.

I received an acknowledgement email of my primary application on 7/23 and I'm still waiting on the secondary. Anyone else in the same boat?

Yes you do.
Question about this: I submitted my LORs via the HPAC office at my undergrad to AACOMAS. Basically they compile all your letters and send it with their cover letter, which classifies as a committee letter. So should I just list the name and contact info of my HPAC advisor? Or should I list out each and every LOR writer + my HPAC advisor?

When you did you submit primary?
I submitted my primary on 7/19, verified on 7/22, and received an acknowledgement email from ICOM of my primary on 7/23

Question about this: I submitted my LORs via the HPAC office at my undergrad to AACOMAS. Basically they compile all your letters and send it with their cover letter, which classifies as a committee letter. So should I just list the name and contact info of my HPAC advisor? Or should I list out each and every LOR writer + my HPAC advisor?
You should list out whomever gave you the letter. So in that case, I'd assume the committee itself.