2021-2022 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Current M1 moving into their M2 year. If anyone has any questions about Michigan, please feel free to reach out. Since I will be starting clerkships this fall, it may take a while for me to get back to you, but just @ me and I'll get back eventually! Go Blue!

Reactions: 2 users
They've posted their secondary prompts for this cycle on their website:

Essay 1 (MD)
Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our eight Paths of Excellence. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
OR
Essay 1 (MSTP)
Briefly describe why you decided to apply to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation, we recognize that your interests may change. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).

---------------------------------------
Essay 2
Please respond to ONLY one of the following two prompts (select the question to which you are responding):

Describe your identity and how it has impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients.
OR
If you recognize and/or represent a voice that is missing, underrepresented, or undervalued in medicine, please describe the missing voice(s) and how increased representation in medicine could impact the medical community.
Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

----------------------------------------
Essay 3
How was your journey to medical school affected by the COVID pandemic? Please feel free to describe any positive or negative aspects. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

Essay 4
Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They've posted their secondary prompts for this cycle on their website:

Essay 1 (MD)
Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our eight Paths of Excellence. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
OR
Essay 1 (MSTP)
Briefly describe why you decided to apply to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation, we recognize that your interests may change. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).

---------------------------------------
Essay 2
Please respond to ONLY one of the following two prompts (select the question to which you are responding):

Describe your identity and how it has impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients.
OR
If you recognize and/or represent a voice that is missing, underrepresented, or undervalued in medicine, please describe the missing voice(s) and how increased representation in medicine could impact the medical community.
Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

Essay 3
How was your journey to medical school affected by the COVID pandemic? Please feel free to describe any positive or negative aspects. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

Essay 4
Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
On the website it says 2021 prompts, but these must be for the 2022 cycle right? Pretty sure they’re slightly different

On the website it says 2021 prompts, but these must be for the 2022 cycle right? Pretty sure they’re slightly different
They aren't the same as last year and they posted the link to these on their twitter saying that they've published their secondary prompts for people to have time to work on them so I'd say yes

Reactions: 1 users
They aren't the same as last year and they posted the link to these on their twitter saying that they've published their secondary prompts for people to have time to work on them so I'd say yes
That’s what I was thinking, and didn’t see the tweet. Thanks!

Current M1 moving into their M2 year. If anyone has any questions about Michigan, please feel free to reach out. Since I will be starting clerkships this fall, it may take a while for me to get back to you, but just @ me and I'll get back eventually! Go Blue!
messaging you!

Reactions: 1 user
I haven’t gotten it yet :( lol the ones I didn’t pre-write came first.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS Secondary for MD/PhD Received—is anybody else's CASPer not designated as received even though Altus says that it's sent? Thank you!

I haven’t received it yet... or any other secondary, even though processing is marked as complete for my app. Could something have gone wrong?
Update: Received, OOS

Last edited:
IS secondary received and submitted!

Last edited:
OOS Secondary received, is there anywhere to make sure they've received your Casper score?

OOS Secondary received, is there anywhere to make sure they've received your Casper score?
I think it should say ‘Y’ under view checklist. Casper says my results have been delivered but it does not yet show up, probably because we just made the accounts!

Edit: anyone seeing delivered Casper results?

Last edited:
I think it should say ‘Y’ under view checklist. Casper says my results have been delivered but it does not yet show up, probably because we just made the accounts!

Mine looks like that, too. Has yours switched to "Y" yet?

Not showing my CASPer results either, even tho it says delivered on Altus and other school that required it already says they received it

For the "Experiences" section on the secondary, should we only include the number of years that we have been participating in the activity since the end of high school? Also, if we have been doing an activity (e.g. teaching) for more than a year but not continuously, should we include it? This section is confusing me...

Where do you see the View Checklist option - is it only visible after submitting the secondary? Haven't submitted yet and all I'm seeing is the "Application Pages" menu

Where do you see the View Checklist option - is it only visible after submitting the secondary? Haven't submitted yet and all I'm seeing is the "Application Pages" menu
Yep, only after you submit!

For the "tell us something you are passionate about" essay, do you think we should write about a passion within medicine?

For example, I'm passionate about community health and working to eliminate health disparities, but I spoke about that a lot in the first essay (how you hope to impact medicine in the future) as well as across my primary app in the activities and my PS.

Other things I was considering talking about are horseback riding (already fairly heavily spoken about in my primary app) or fitness (not mentioned elsewhere on my app).

For the "tell us something you are passionate about" essay, do you think we should write about a passion within medicine?

For example, I'm passionate about community health and working to eliminate health disparities, but I spoke about that a lot in the first essay (how you hope to impact medicine in the future) as well as across my primary app in the activities and my PS.

Other things I was considering talking about are horseback riding (already fairly heavily spoken about in my primary app) or fitness (not mentioned elsewhere on my app).
I think its fine to discuss any of the things you listed. Id pick whichever you feel you can write the best about

I’m still waiting on a secondary! Has anyone else not received one yet?

For the "Experiences" section on the secondary, should we only include the number of years that we have been participating in the activity since the end of high school? Also, if we have been doing an activity (e.g. teaching) for more than a year but not continuously, should we include it? This section is confusing me...
I just estimated the total number of years for teaching (i.e. I had one semester off so I did 1.5 years instead of 2)
Their 10 hours or more a week commitment definitely threw me off at first haha so it seems like I didn't do much but hopefully they'll see from my primaries that I did do things just not 10+ hours of them a week

I just estimated the total number of years for teaching (i.e. I had one semester off so I did 1.5 years instead of 2)
Their 10 hours or more a week commitment definitely threw me off at first haha so it seems like I didn't do much but hopefully they'll see from my primaries that I did do things just not 10+ hours of them a week
Do we include the specific experience name for this section? Or do we just put in the number of hours per section? Also does it actually have to be 10 hours a week?

Last edited:
Do we include the specific experience name for this section? Or do we just put in the number of hours per section? Also does it actually have to be 10 hours a week?
They explicitly state 10 or more hours a week so probably?

No, you only put the number of years. Also, I would assume yes for 10 hours/week since that's what they put on the question

Does anyone know how UMMS uses Casper and how much weight it carries for receiving an interview?

I also wrote about community health/disparities, and I worked it into both essays in different ways. In the how you will impact medicine in the future essay, I talked about different ways I will help achieve equity in healthcare, but in the passionate essay, I talked about my personal reasons and experiences that made me want to pursue that track. Hope that helps!

I'm a bit confused about how to interpret this question. Do they mean a group that is often mistreated/undervalued as a patient or a group that is underrepresented in the medical profession?? For instance, women are often misdiagnosed and undervalued as patients, but the gender gap in physicians is closing so they aren't necessarily underrepresented there. Thanks!

I'm a bit confused about how to interpret this question. Do they mean a group that is often mistreated/undervalued as a patient or a group that is underrepresented in the medical profession?? For instance, women are often misdiagnosed and undervalued as patients, but the gender gap in physicians is closing so they aren't necessarily underrepresented there. Thanks!

I answered the other prompt choice so I may not be entirely correct, but maybe a little bit of both? For example, certain health conditions such as heart disease disproportionately affect African American women. Physicians who identify themselves within this group would be better suited to address this population's needs. Therefore, increasing the representation of this underrepresented voice in the medical field would lead to better health outcomes for their respective group.

Does anyone know when "Michigan Mondays" typically begin? Is it possible that it could be as early as next Monday (7/12)?

For the experiences tab, do we just list the number of years, or do we include the time commitment/activity name?