2021-2022 Michigan

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Current M1 moving into their M2 year. If anyone has any questions about Michigan, please feel free to reach out. Since I will be starting clerkships this fall, it may take a while for me to get back to you, but just @ me and I'll get back eventually! Go Blue!
 
They've posted their secondary prompts for this cycle on their website:

Essay 1 (MD)
Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our eight Paths of Excellence. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
OR
Essay 1 (MSTP)
Briefly describe why you decided to apply to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation, we recognize that your interests may change. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).

---------------------------------------
Essay 2
Please respond to ONLY one of the following two prompts (select the question to which you are responding):

Describe your identity and how it has impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients.
OR
If you recognize and/or represent a voice that is missing, underrepresented, or undervalued in medicine, please describe the missing voice(s) and how increased representation in medicine could impact the medical community.
Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

----------------------------------------
Essay 3
How was your journey to medical school affected by the COVID pandemic? Please feel free to describe any positive or negative aspects. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

----------------------------------------
Essay 4
Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They've posted their secondary prompts for this cycle on their website:

Essay 1 (MD)
Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our eight Paths of Excellence. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
OR
Essay 1 (MSTP)
Briefly describe why you decided to apply to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation, we recognize that your interests may change. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).

---------------------------------------
Essay 2
Please respond to ONLY one of the following two prompts (select the question to which you are responding):

Describe your identity and how it has impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients.
OR
If you recognize and/or represent a voice that is missing, underrepresented, or undervalued in medicine, please describe the missing voice(s) and how increased representation in medicine could impact the medical community.
Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

----------------------------------------
Essay 3
How was your journey to medical school affected by the COVID pandemic? Please feel free to describe any positive or negative aspects. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

----------------------------------------
Essay 4
Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
On the website it says 2021 prompts, but these must be for the 2022 cycle right? Pretty sure they’re slightly different
 
They aren't the same as last year and they posted the link to these on their twitter saying that they've published their secondary prompts for people to have time to work on them so I'd say yes
That’s what I was thinking, and didn’t see the tweet. Thanks!
 
Current M1 moving into their M2 year. If anyone has any questions about Michigan, please feel free to reach out. Since I will be starting clerkships this fall, it may take a while for me to get back to you, but just @ me and I'll get back eventually! Go Blue!
messaging you!
 
OOS Secondary for MD/PhD Received—is anybody else's CASPer not designated as received even though Altus says that it's sent? Thank you!
 
I haven’t received it yet... or any other secondary, even though processing is marked as complete for my app. Could something have gone wrong?
Update: Received, OOS
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it should say ‘Y’ under view checklist. Casper says my results have been delivered but it does not yet show up, probably because we just made the accounts!

Edit: anyone seeing delivered Casper results?
Not showing my CASPer results either, even tho it says delivered on Altus and other school that required it already says they received it
 
For the "Experiences" section on the secondary, should we only include the number of years that we have been participating in the activity since the end of high school? Also, if we have been doing an activity (e.g. teaching) for more than a year but not continuously, should we include it? This section is confusing me...
 
I think it should say ‘Y’ under view checklist. Casper says my results have been delivered but it does not yet show up, probably because we just made the accounts!

Edit: anyone seeing delivered Casper results?
Where do you see the View Checklist option - is it only visible after submitting the secondary? Haven't submitted yet and all I'm seeing is the "Application Pages" menu
 
For the "tell us something you are passionate about" essay, do you think we should write about a passion within medicine?

For example, I'm passionate about community health and working to eliminate health disparities, but I spoke about that a lot in the first essay (how you hope to impact medicine in the future) as well as across my primary app in the activities and my PS.

Other things I was considering talking about are horseback riding (already fairly heavily spoken about in my primary app) or fitness (not mentioned elsewhere on my app).
 
For the "tell us something you are passionate about" essay, do you think we should write about a passion within medicine?

For example, I'm passionate about community health and working to eliminate health disparities, but I spoke about that a lot in the first essay (how you hope to impact medicine in the future) as well as across my primary app in the activities and my PS.

Other things I was considering talking about are horseback riding (already fairly heavily spoken about in my primary app) or fitness (not mentioned elsewhere on my app).
I think its fine to discuss any of the things you listed. Id pick whichever you feel you can write the best about
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the "Experiences" section on the secondary, should we only include the number of years that we have been participating in the activity since the end of high school? Also, if we have been doing an activity (e.g. teaching) for more than a year but not continuously, should we include it? This section is confusing me...
I just estimated the total number of years for teaching (i.e. I had one semester off so I did 1.5 years instead of 2)
Their 10 hours or more a week commitment definitely threw me off at first haha so it seems like I didn't do much but hopefully they'll see from my primaries that I did do things just not 10+ hours of them a week
 
I just estimated the total number of years for teaching (i.e. I had one semester off so I did 1.5 years instead of 2)
Their 10 hours or more a week commitment definitely threw me off at first haha so it seems like I didn't do much but hopefully they'll see from my primaries that I did do things just not 10+ hours of them a week
Do we include the specific experience name for this section? Or do we just put in the number of hours per section? Also does it actually have to be 10 hours a week?
 
Last edited:
For the "tell us something you are passionate about" essay, do you think we should write about a passion within medicine?

For example, I'm passionate about community health and working to eliminate health disparities, but I spoke about that a lot in the first essay (how you hope to impact medicine in the future) as well as across my primary app in the activities and my PS.

Other things I was considering talking about are horseback riding (already fairly heavily spoken about in my primary app) or fitness (not mentioned elsewhere on my app).
I also wrote about community health/disparities, and I worked it into both essays in different ways. In the how you will impact medicine in the future essay, I talked about different ways I will help achieve equity in healthcare, but in the passionate essay, I talked about my personal reasons and experiences that made me want to pursue that track. Hope that helps!
 
I'm a bit confused about how to interpret this question. Do they mean a group that is often mistreated/undervalued as a patient or a group that is underrepresented in the medical profession?? For instance, women are often misdiagnosed and undervalued as patients, but the gender gap in physicians is closing so they aren't necessarily underrepresented there. Thanks!

If you recognize and/or represent a voice that is missing, underrepresented, or undervalued in medicine, please describe the missing voice(s) and how increased representation in medicine could impact the medical community.
 
I'm a bit confused about how to interpret this question. Do they mean a group that is often mistreated/undervalued as a patient or a group that is underrepresented in the medical profession?? For instance, women are often misdiagnosed and undervalued as patients, but the gender gap in physicians is closing so they aren't necessarily underrepresented there. Thanks!

If you recognize and/or represent a voice that is missing, underrepresented, or undervalued in medicine, please describe the missing voice(s) and how increased representation in medicine could impact the medical community.
I answered the other prompt choice so I may not be entirely correct, but maybe a little bit of both? For example, certain health conditions such as heart disease disproportionately affect African American women. Physicians who identify themselves within this group would be better suited to address this population's needs. Therefore, increasing the representation of this underrepresented voice in the medical field would lead to better health outcomes for their respective group.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the experiences tab, do we just list the number of years, or do we include the time commitment/activity name?