2021-2022 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted just now. Interviewed 11/12.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
got waitlisted today, too! Interviewed 11/12

For those recently waitlisted, do they tell you what number you are on list ?

Not for me, they didn't.
they didn't for me either but i called to ask (i saw others do this in this thread) and they didn't pick up so i left a message and am waiting to hear back now

I was deferred and I thought that was the same thing as waitlisted but when I called to ask the lady said that waitlist and deferred are two separate lists and she didnt really explain what the difference was.

maybe one list has priority over the other? now which list I have no clue

I was deferred and I thought that was the same thing as waitlisted but when I called to ask the lady said that waitlist and deferred are two separate lists and she didnt really explain what the difference was.
I feel you on that one. I got the same vague answer as well.

I feel you on that one. I got the same vague answer as well.
I asked if she could tell me my position on that list and she kept saying that I haven't actually been accepted yet (which I know because the status letter says "you haven't been accepted or rejected") and that they would go back and review sometime after the seat deposit deadline. I asked if they would review the waitlist or deferred list first and she didn't really give me an answer. But on the II powerpoint and on the website it says students will either be accepted, rejected, or deferred. There's no clarification from anyone about what the waitlist vs. deferred list is. I'm so confused loll.

I asked if she could tell me my position on that list and she kept saying that I haven't actually been accepted yet (which I know because the status letter says "you haven't been accepted or rejected") and that they would go back and review sometime after the seat deposit deadline. I asked if they would review the waitlist or deferred list first and she didn't really give me an answer. But on the II powerpoint and on the website it says students will either be accepted, rejected, or deferred. There's no clarification from anyone about what the waitlist vs. deferred list is. I'm so confused loll.
i feel for ya! i'd be curious if the folks above who said they were waitlisted this week actually received the "deferred" letter with a note that they were on the waitlist. i know the earliest folks waitlisted actually received a deferred letter, but then had their waitlist position written on the letter. but i imagine once that list gets long they probably quit writing positions. would someone who was waitlisted this week be willing to share what their waitlisted letter said? i will say if you have detailed questions about where you specifically stand, i would reach out to Dr. Weir (the Dean) directly, or or send him a personal email. i know because of confidentiality front office admissions doesn't always have a clear picture of what the admissions committee is doing with waitlists and who stands where. as frustrating as it is, the front office person is probably giving you vague information because they were given vague information by the admissions committee, in order to protect applicants confidentiality. hang in there and remember from last years thread, like 80-90% of the people who interviewed were eventually admitted!

Last edited:
i feel for ya! i'd be curious if the folks above who said they were waitlisted this week actually received the "deferred" letter with a note that they were on the waitlist. i know the earliest folks waitlisted actually received a deferred letter, but then had their waitlist position written on the letter. but i imagine once that list gets long they probably quit writing positions. would someone who was waitlisted this week be willing to share what their waitlisted letter said? i will say if you have detailed questions about where you specifically stand, i would reach out to Dr. Weir (the Dean) directly, or or send him a personal email. i know because of confidentiality front office admissions doesn't always have a clear picture of what the admissions committee is doing with waitlists and who stands where. as frustrating as it is, the front office person is probably giving you vague information because they were given vague information by the admissions committee, in order to protect applicants confidentiality. hang in there and remember from last years thread, like 80-90% of the people who interviewed were eventually admitted!
So, my email said I was put on the alternate list. I called about an hour ago and asked if the alternate list was essentially a waitlist, to which she said yes. She also said that they are planning on sending updated letters on 12/17 to those on this list depending on how many seats open up after the deposit deadline. Idk if this helps but I hope it helps for those who are wondering... still a bit vague oof

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I called the office today and they said to just email Dr. Weir. If I hear from him back I’ll update y’all about the difference between the two. I wasn’t even told that we were getting viewed after the deposit deadline so that is news to me! Thank you for that.

Reactions: 2 users
II! Complete email 11/12

Reactions: 1 users
My email this week also said that I was on the "alternate list"

That is a quick turn around time. Do you mind sharing your stats ?
I agree! I was not at all expecting an II so soon. I don't mind at all! 503, 3.5 GPA, 4.0 SMP, lots of DO shadowing and worked at a PCP clinic with many DO's. Happy to answer more questions if you have them!

Withdrawing my A, hope it goes out to one of you !!
Good luck future doctors :)

Reactions: 4 users
secondary completed at the end of august and its been radio silence since. Should i write this school off? :(

secondary completed at the end of august and its been radio silence since. Should i write this school off? :(
From reading past years threads it seems like they are super open to giving feedback. You could absolutely reach out and I'm sure they will let you know where you stand!

I emailed them about two months ago asking for a status update and they responded that my app is "awaiting an internal review" and will be considered "until the class is full"

unfortunately to my knowledge the class has been full for a while now
So I actually interviewed today and they said while the class technically is full they expect a lot of seats to open with the 12/14 deposit deadline. Also, from looking at past threads they sent IIs all the way up until June! Don't lose hope. It's not over until it's over!!

• Love
I submitted my primary a month ago, and I still have no secondary, should I call?

I submitted a secondary little over a month ago and haven't heard anything back. Should I be worried? First-time applicant, so I don't know how long it typically takes for them to send out II.

I submitted a secondary little over a month ago and haven't heard anything back. Should I be worried? First-time applicant, so I don't know how long it typically takes for them to send out II.
Definitely call Dr. Jim Weir. He's super friendly and will let you know where you stand!

Withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of y'all. Good luck!
Much appreciated!

From,

Someone who submitted late and is really hoping for some spots to open up since their class is technically full

If you do call this person could you let us know what they respond?
I think you're asking NYC2016 but since you quoted my response I won't leave you hanging! I actually interviewed here on Monday and called today. He said he expects seats to open up and at that point they will be able to extend more acceptances to their alternative list. Unsure what their status on IIs are tho so sorry I'm not any help with that. However, you should absolutely call/email Dr. Weir and he will provide you with valuable feedback on your app!

Has anyone called to ask about updates to their position on the waitlist? Can one even do that? lol

Has anyone called to ask about updates to their position on the waitlist? Can one even do that? lol
I'd wait until December 14th (I believe), which is the seat deposit deadline. My interviewer said there is typically a lot of WL movement after that date.

any secondaries left for me lol? Sent in my primary over a month ago

Any current students mind answering how many hours/week y’all have OMM for? Also are classes mandatory and letter grades or P/F?

Any current students mind answering how many hours/week y’all have OMM for? Also are classes mandatory and letter grades or P/F?
We have OMM lab once a week for 2 hours. Every week we have lecture video's to watch beforehand as well as a quiz that is due the night before. Classes are P/F so no need to worry about letter grades showing up on your transcript. In terms of mandatory attendance, it depends on the class. For some classes (genetics, histology, physiology) attendance is optional, whereas for others (anatomy, biochemistry) it is required. The current lecture hall can only seat 1/2 the class, so some of us have to live stream the lectures from home. A new lecture hall that can seat 200+ is set to open next semester, so the school may look to make an adjustment to the attendance policy.

Not yet. I'm waiting to hear back from another school but I'm trying to narrow down my current As and I have no idea where WCUCOM ranks on that list yet lol. I feel like I know a lot less about this school than my other As so I'm going to try to reach out to some current students!
I second that I also know little about the school, except that the admins are all really kind.

We have OMM lab once a week for 2 hours. Every week we have lecture video's to watch beforehand as well as a quiz that is due the night before. Classes are P/F so no need to worry about letter grades showing up on your transcript. In terms of mandatory attendance, it depends on the class. For some classes (genetics, histology, physiology) attendance is optional, whereas for others (anatomy, biochemistry) it is required. The current lecture hall can only seat 1/2 the class, so some of us have to live stream the lectures from home. A new lecture hall that can seat 200+ is set to open next semester, so the school may look to make an adjustment to the attendance policy.
How do you feel about the school and Hattiesburg in general? Do you feel supported? and do you have enough time and resource for board prep? On the COCA, along with many other schools, WCUCOM's accreditation status is 'Accredited with heightened monitoring". I know that for MSUCOM they were given this status because of their lack of interprofessional course in the curriculum. Why would WCUCOM be under heightened monitoring?

Would you be able to tell us which years are P/F? The last time I checked I saw that only years 3 and 4 had that system, but the first two years were graded on a latter scale (A-F).

How do you feel about the school and Hattiesburg in general? Do you feel supported? and do you have enough time and resource for board prep? On the COCA, along with many other schools, WCUCOM's accreditation status is 'Accredited with heightened monitoring". I know that for MSUCOM they were given this status because of their lack of interprofessional course in the curriculum. Why would WCUCOM be under heightened monitoring?
No idea but those accreditation terms seem random/arbitrary I think many schools are heightened monitoring. I would worry if a school Is accredited with warning or probation. As far as I know this is the first time WCUCOM has had accreditation with heightened monitoring so hopefully they fix whatever it is. I believe it may have something to do with classroom/study space with the class size increase and I believe this will be fixed soon with the new college of health sciences building on campus.

Would you be able to tell us which years are P/F? The last time I checked I saw that only years 3 and 4 had that system, but the first two years were graded on a latter scale (A-F).
If you're referring to the student handbook that is posted on the website, it is a bit outdated. We are graded P/F in years 1 and 2, but still have letter grades solely for the purpose of class rank. To my knowledge WCUCOM used to administer letter grades, but they have started to move towards P/F since the onset of the pandemic. In my opinion, it makes for a more collaborative learning environment.

If you're referring to the student handbook that is posted on the website, it is a bit outdated. We are graded P/F in years 1 and 2, but still have letter grades solely for the purpose of class rank. To my knowledge WCUCOM used to administer letter grades, but they have started to move towards P/F since the onset of the pandemic. In my opinion, it makes for a more collaborative learning environment.
I asked the associate dean and he said post covid it might go back to letter grades and stay in tune

I asked the associate dean and he said post covid it might go back to letter grades and stay in tune
Hi, as a current student that works closely with academic services and the academic deans, we are P/F and will continue to be P/F. It makes some people grumpy but it’s how it is and it alligns with level 1/step 1

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks so much for your response! That helps a lot!

Hi, as a current student that works closely with academic services and the academic deans, we are P/F and will continue to be P/F. It makes some people grumpy but it’s how it is and it alligns with level 1/step 1
thanks for your insight! curious why people are people grumpy about it?

So if I am interviewing let's say this coming week is that an auto waitlist at this point because the class is full and have to wait till december 14th so see what happens??

thanks for your insight! curious why people are people grumpy about it?
Some faculty feel like it fails to help exceptional students stand out. Residency PD also don't like it because they can't screen for GPA. I've also heard an argument that us students "give up" on certain classes to work on harder ones. Personally, it feels to me like a classic case of people, especially doctors, not liking change.

Some faculty feel like it fails to help exceptional students stand out. Residency PD also don't like it because they can't screen for GPA. I've also heard an argument that us students "give up" on certain classes to work on harder ones. Personally, it feels to me like a classic case of people, especially doctors, not liking change.
Lol y'all are delusional if you think residency PD's(in any specialty) screen applicants based on pre clinical gpa's. The people who match at competitive programs and specialties do well on boards but they also do well in clinical years and have great LOR's and research (case reports at at bare minimum) NO one cares about pre clinical grades and no one will even after step 1 goes P/F. Getting this info from alumni at Carey who matched at competitive places and specialties btw

Lol y'all are delusional if you think residency PD's(in any specialty) screen applicants based on pre clinical gpa's. The people who match at competitive programs and specialties do well on boards but they also do well in clinical years and have great LOR's and research (case reports at at bare minimum) NO one cares about pre clinical grades and no one will even after step 1 goes P/F. Getting this info from alumni at Carey who matched at competitive places and specialties btw
really appreciate this perspective! if you have a spare moment, do you feel like Carey resources you well with info on matching into competitive or at least non-family med/internal med specialities? or were those that did really left on their own to make it happen? i ask because relative to their class sizes and it being a relatively rural DO program, i’ve actually been pretty surprised how many have matched into ortho/general surgery/anesthesiology/i believe even a couple derm over the last few years?… someone from Carey matched to a program in my home state that i would LOVE to match in and i’m like how did you do that… was it just that persons connections or were they resourced well by the school?

really appreciate this perspective! if you have a spare moment, do you feel like Carey resources you well with info on matching into competitive or at least non-family med/internal med specialities? or were those that did really left on their own to make it happen? i ask because relative to their class sizes and it being a relatively rural DO program, i’ve actually been pretty surprised how many have matched into ortho/general surgery/anesthesiology/i believe even a couple derm over the last few years?… someone from Carey matched to a program in my home state that i would LOVE to match in and i’m like how did you do that… was it just that persons connections or were they resourced well by the school?
WCUCOM is on par with other DO schools, most DO schools have several derm, ortho, Gen surgery, ent, anesthesia, uro etc, or some combo of that, with WCUCOM being a smaller class until the class size increase recently, we have less of those matches but we have our fair share. WCUCOM does not hinder you in any way IMO. They are making a genuine effort to increase research so those that want to go for those specialties have some option to do research through the school and of course you can do research outside of the school. It will ultimately be on the applicant. Those that matched those specialties did work hard but that's the norm at any school. In short, carey does a good job IMO letting you reach your goals maybe better than some new DO schools that don't have as many connections or affiliations and alumni yet. One kid 2 years ago did a sick research year and matched MD ENT at his top spot so the school doesn't prevent you from doing anything. We have a strong affiliation with a program in NY that has everything from derm to optho to ob and surgery and I think the current students can really take an advantage of that by doing rotations there 3rd and 4th year and using the faculty at the site as mentors if not to match there. Last I talked to admin during a town hall the school was in the process of starting a clinical advising/mentorship that could also help guide students through the match process and the clinical years in general. What program is it in your home state? PM me about it if you want.

Last edited: