2022-2023 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @d.grayi for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Baylor Secondary Essay Prompts: (edited to put questions in proper order)

1. In addition to training as a competent physician, please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply.
Options include:
  • Clinical Research
  • Healthcare/disparities/medical underserved communities
  • Academic Medicine
  • Community Health
  • Simulation in medical education
  • Health systems science
  • Telehealth
  • Advocacy
(connected to #1) What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 characters)

2. Are you planning to matriculate into medical school immediately after completing your undergraduate education?
If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application. (limit not stated)

3. Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat TMDSAS or AMCAS application information. This section is mandatory. Please make sure you submit an essay or your application will not be reviewed by the committee. (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

4th year (wow) who periodically checks these threads. Happy to answer questions about Baylor, preclinicals, clinics, Houston, Texas Medical Center. I'm not connected to admissions, so I don't know specific dates

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
@wysdoc
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat TMDSAS or AMCAS application information. This section is mandatory. Please make sure you submit an essay or your application will not be reviewed by the committee. 2000 character limit.

additional question:

In addition to training as a competent physician, please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply.
- Clinical Research
- Healthcare/disparities/medical undeserved communities
- Academic Medicine
- Community Health
- Simulation in medical education
- Health systems science
- Telehealth
- Advocacy

What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?(1000 characters)

also additional question for gap year/nontraditional students:

Are you planning to matriculate into medical school immediately after completing your undergraduate education? If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application. (not sure about character count)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc
also additional question for gap year/nontraditional students:
Are you planning to matriculate into medical school immediately after completing your undergraduate education? If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application. (not sure about character count)

In previous cycles, Baylor used this same prompt and it had a 2000-character limit. I'm guessing it is likely the same for this cycle, but cannot say I'm certain since my app has not been transmitted yet.

For the additional question, are we to explain anything regarding the chosen area(s) of interest, or just select up to two and move on?

@wysdoc If I am not mistaken, the additional question relates directly to the follow-up question of "What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?" It looks like Stanford used the exact same prompt last year. In other words, you first choose the area(s) of interest and then explain what has prepared you for said interest(s).

Please correct me if am wrong.

@wysdoc If I am not mistaken, the additional question relates directly to the follow-up question of "What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?" It looks like Stanford used the exact same prompt last year. In other words, you first choose the area(s) of interest and then explain what has prepared you for said interest(s).

Please correct me if am wrong.
I don’t know- somebody else who gets a secondary from Baylor please send me a PM with what they see and what order the questions appear in. I’ll make an edit if needed.
The way the first person posted it the questions seemed disjointed and it was unclear what the “what knowledge skills and attitudes” question was referring to

** I corrected the prompts in the top post based on answers from several SDN members - Thanks!**

Last edited:
I don’t know- somebody else who gets a secondary from Baylor please send me a PM with what they see and what order the questions appear in. I’ll make an edit if needed.
The way the first person posted it the questions seemed disjointed and it was unclear what the “what knowledge skills and attitudes” question was referring to

** I corrected the prompts in the top post based on answers from several SDN members - Thanks!**

Thank your finding out for us! I appreciate your time.

Reactions: 1 user
I just want to make sure that the gap year/non-trad prompt is 1000 characters and not 2000. I saw that it changed but it looks like it was 2000 characters in the past. I started writing it and was already at 1300 characters with a little left to write. If it's 1000 characters, I will need to scrap this and start over.

Last edited:
I just want to make sure that the gap year/non-trad prompt is 1000 characters and not 2000. I saw that it changed but it looks like it was 2000 characters in the past. I started writing it and was already at 1300 characters with a little left to write. If it's 1000 characters, I will need to scrap this and start over.
There's no character limit imposed on you for this question, so 1300 characters should be fine.

There's no character limit imposed on you for this question, so 1300 characters should be fine.

Thanks a bunch. Without sharing what you've written or plan to write, do you have any idea how folks approach this particular prompt? I'm finding it tough to write because I felt I answered questions about my career and activities between undergrad and med school app in the primary application essays. Surely, they cannot want me to just re-list my jobs and activities lol.

Thanks a bunch. Without sharing what you've written or plan to write, do you have any idea how folks approach this particular prompt? I'm finding it tough to write because I felt I answered questions about my career and activities between undergrad and med school app in the primary application essays. Surely, they cannot want me to just re-list my jobs and activities lol.
I won't be answering this particular prompt since I'm still in my undergrad and plan to matriculate afterwards. Might be a good question to ask @wysdoc though.

I won't be answering this particular prompt since I'm still in my undergrad and plan to matriculate afterwards. Might be a good question to ask @wysdoc though.

Ooooooh you lucky dog haha. Just kidding of course. Good luck on the app and balancing studies and life. I know it's tough, but you got this! And thank you for replying. I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know for sure about the character limit for this question, @skeptastic. But if there's a character counter in the box on your Baylor portal that may give you a hint.

I don't know for sure about the character limit for this question, @skeptastic. But if there's a character counter in the box on your Baylor portal that may give you a hint.

I wish my app was transmitted and I had access to the prompts, but alas, the wait persists haha. I'm just trying to pre-write secondaries. It sounds like there is no listed limit, so your idea about determining the character limit in the prompt field will be the way to go once I have access. I think I'll hold off on answering this one prompt until I have access, or someone specifies the limit they see in their portal.

I wish my app was transmitted and I had access to the prompts, but alas, the wait persists haha. I'm just trying to pre-write secondaries. It sounds like there is no listed limit, so your idea about determining the character limit in the prompt field will be the way to go once I have access. I think I'll hold off on answering this one prompt until I have access, or someone specifies the limit they see in their portal.
I should have been more specific- I'm looking at the prompt right now and there's no character limit. As in, the rest of the prompts clearly state there's a limit of X characters, but this isn't the case for this prompt. Since they don't specify a limit, you should be fine with prewriting a response without worrying about the character count.

If you selected "No" to Q2, the prompt comes up and simply states, "Please explain." Doesn't seem like they're looking for something like your personal statement, just a description of what you did. Could be wrong though- I would do whatever seems good to you.

I should have been more specific- I'm looking at the prompt right now and there's no character limit. As in, the rest of the prompts clearly state there's a limit of X characters, but this isn't the case for this prompt. Since they don't specify a limit, you should be fine with prewriting a response without worrying about the character count.

If you selected "No" to Q2, the prompt comes up and simply states, "Please explain." Doesn't seem like they're looking for something like your personal statement, just a description of what you did. Could be wrong though- I would do whatever seems good to you.

Do you mind checking to see if you add text and there is a limit? Like, try to add a bunch of random paragraphs (copy and paste) to see if it lets you do 2000, 5000, to whatever characters. Wondering if it's truly unlimited in the actual prompt field.

Do you mind checking to see if you add text and there is a limit? Like, try to add a bunch of random paragraphs (copy and paste) to see if it lets you do 2000, 5000, to whatever characters. Wondering if it's truly unlimited in the actual prompt field.
Just added 13,000 characters to the prompt without restriction. It's truly unlimited.

Reactions: 2 users
Just added 13,000 characters to the prompt without restriction. It's truly unlimited.

You're the best! This is truly appreciated, especially knowing you are busy. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
Received secondary today. Does anyone know if BCM is an automatic secondary? Very taken off-guard given my low stats.

For the question regarding what you have done since graduation and application, I graduation May 13th so i have only been working on my application (as i submitted primary a few days after that). So should I answer this prompt or leave it blank?

For the question regarding what you have done since graduation and application, I graduation May 13th so i have only been working on my application (as i submitted primary a few days after that). So should I answer this prompt or leave it blank?
Give this one a one-sentence answer. If you were applying as a junior, you would be planning to enter school (if accepted) immediately after graduation.

You just now graduated, but it will be a year before you could start medical school. What will you do with this year?
"After my May 2022 graduation, I plan to X,Y,Z" Even if you don't have something lined up and say you plan to look for work as a medical assistant, or volunteer at the PQRS.

Give this one a one-sentence answer. If you were applying as a junior, you would be planning to enter school (if accepted) immediately after graduation.

You just now graduated, but it will be a year before you could start medical school. What will you do with this year?
"After my May 2022 graduation, I plan to X,Y,Z" Even if you don't have something lined up and say you plan to look for work as a medical assistant, or volunteer at the PQRS.
Do you typically recommend only a one sentence answer? I've been out of undergrad for over a year now and I have talked about all my jobs and volunteering activities that I have pursued.

Do you typically recommend only a one sentence answer? I've been out of undergrad for over a year now and I have talked about all my jobs and volunteering activities that I have pursued.
That was my answer for someone who graduated 1 week ago

Also @wysdoc I just want to make sure, but for the first question when it asks "what has prepared you for this career path..." that is directly related to the 2 boxes you checked? So for example, if I checked clinical research I would talk about what has prepared me for that?
Yes

You have not done anything but you need to address your plan for the coming year since you have a whole year before you can start med school.

Thanks to @d.grayi for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Baylor Secondary Essay Prompts: (edited to put questions in proper order)

1. In addition to training as a competent physician, please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply.
Options include:
  • Clinical Research
  • Healthcare/disparities/medical undeserved communities
  • Academic Medicine
  • Community Health
  • Simulation in medical education
  • Health systems science
  • Telehealth
  • Advocacy
(connected to #1) What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 characters)

2. Are you planning to matriculate into medical school immediately after completing your undergraduate education?
If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application. (limit not stated)

3. Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat TMDSAS or AMCAS application information. This section is mandatory. Please make sure you submit an essay or your application will not be reviewed by the committee. (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
For the first question, will we have 1000 characters to explain each of the 2 additional areas of interest or will we only have 1000 characters to explain both?

For the first question, will we have 1000 characters to explain each of the 2 additional areas of interest or will we only have 1000 characters to explain both?
I believe it is 1000 characters total. You can discuss one or two areas within that 1000 character limit.

For 2. (Are you planning to matriculate into medical school immediately after completing your undergraduate education? If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application. (limit not stated)), a gap semester counts as "not immediately", correct?

For 2. (Are you planning to matriculate into medical school immediately after completing your undergraduate education? If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application. (limit not stated)), a gap semester counts as "not immediately", correct?
Correct. "Immediately" would be people who are applying now while they are still upcoming seniors in college and planning to head straight to med school after graduation if accepted.
If you graduated in winter term or have other gap year plans this would be you.

Correct. "Immediately" would be people who are applying now while they are still upcoming seniors in college and planning to head straight to med school after graduation if accepted.
Perfect. Thanks for the clarification!

Follow-up question: is it OK if we repeat information/descriptions from the planned activities section on the primary TMDSAS application? Or must we find new ways to describe these activities?

Follow-up question: is it OK if we repeat information/descriptions from the planned activities section on the primary TMDSAS application? Or must we find new ways to describe these activities?
I think you could be a lot briefer. If you are going to continue something you have already been doing, name the activity/ location and then maybe mention what you will try to learn/observe/gain/or develop as you carry on with this activity.

I think you could be a lot briefer. If you are going to continue something you have already been doing, name the activity/ location and then maybe mention what you will try to learn/observe/gain/or develop as you carry on with this activity.
Great, thanks so much!

So for the first question, when it says "Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply.", that means question 1 will not affect MSTP admissions at all? It seems that I shouldn't/don't need to write this essay (and part b) since I am applying mdphd only to Baylor, is that what y'all understand?

So for the first question, when it says "Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply.", that means question 1 will not affect MSTP admissions at all? It seems that I shouldn't/don't need to write this essay (and part b) since I am applying mdphd only to Baylor, is that what y'all understand?
What were your instructions upon applying to the MD/PhD program? As I understand it, AMCAS is the platform to use for applying to MD/PhD.
Are you also applying separately via TMDSAS as a backup if not accepted to your dual degree? If so, I would still suggest answering this question briefly.

@wysdoc You're right, I applied for the mdphd through AMCAS. But we haven't received any instructions about this yet (first transmission and secondary invites aren't until late June). I won't be submitting TMDSAS, I'm just taking inventory of what I need to pre-write and wanted to clarify if anyone knew more about question 1.

@wysdoc You're right, I applied for the mdphd through AMCAS. But we haven't received any instructions about this yet (first transmission and secondary invites aren't until late June). I won't be submitting TMDSAS, I'm just taking inventory of what I need to pre-write and wanted to clarify if anyone knew more about question 1.
Thanks for the details. I’m not familiar with what essays they would like for MD/PhD, but I am sure they will communicate that to you.

I am really confused about the second prompt. I am an older non-trad, having earned my degree almost two decades ago. It took me ages to record all of my work experience and activities since graduation. Am I supposed to re-list all of that, even though it's already included in my primary?

I am really confused about the second prompt. I am an older non-trad, having earned my degree almost two decades ago. It took me ages to record all of my work experience and activities since graduation. Am I supposed to re-list all of that, even though it's already included in my primary?
In your case, the 2nd essay prompt is "explain what careers you have pursued between your college education and your application"

You need to use that space to write your narrative about your past careers, what you found interesting, and why you're now circling back to medicine after 20 years. You don't need to exhaustively tell them what positions / experiences you did, but the big picture of your journey

Reactions: 3 users
In your case, the 2nd essay prompt is "explain what careers you have pursued between your college education and your application"

You need to use that space to write your narrative about your past careers, what you found interesting, and why you're now circling back to medicine after 20 years. You don't need to exhaustively tell them what positions / experiences you did, but the big picture of your journey
I appreciate this reply. Thank you. It's crazy because I cover this in my personal statement and tie it in to "why medicine." It just feels like I'm going to be repeating myself, which is exactly what they don't want haha.

Edit: After reviewing my PS and meaningful activities, I actually didn't cover one of my careers in much detail at all. I at least have something to write about. I should be good. Heck, Baylor has only accepted one student age 30+ in the last four years anyway, so chances are slim. No need to over-think this situation. I'll either be some sort of unicorn and break their trend of accepting an older cat, or they'll pass on me and life will go on. Out of all schools I'm applying to, Baylor has accepted the least number of non-trads. They like em young!

Last edited:
I appreciate this reply. Thank you. It's crazy because I cover this in my personal statement and tie it in to "why medicine." It just feels like I'm going to be repeating myself, which is exactly what they don't want haha.

Edit: After reviewing my PS and meaningful activities, I actually didn't cover one of my careers in much detail at all. I at least have something to write about. I should be good. Heck, Baylor has only accepted one student age 30+ in the last four years anyway, so chances are slim. No need to over-think this situation. I'll either be some sort of unicorn and break their trend of accepting an older cat, or they'll pass on me and life will go on. Out of all schools I'm applying to, Baylor has accepted the least number of non-trads. They like em young!
Really?! This is pretty disappointing and I'm now wondering if I should even bother... I have a decade of work experience... hmmmm crap

Hello everyone,

4th year (wow) who periodically checks these threads. Happy to answer questions about Baylor, preclinicals, clinics, Houston, Texas Medical Center. I'm not connected to admissions, so I don't know specific dates
Do you have any parents or truly non-trads in your MS class?

Really?! This is pretty disappointing and I'm now wondering if I should even bother... I have a decade of work experience... hmmmm crap

I'd definitely apply. I'm over 40 and not one 40+ student has matriculated in the last four years. Doesn't mean they've never had one. If you're in your 30's, you won't be such an anomaly, but it does appear that they favor younger students. It could also be that older students haven't really applied to Baylor, for whatever reason. Either way, you've paid the primary app fee, so it makes sense to apply to all schools, I believe. I'm counting on being the first old man to walk the halls of Baylor COM as a student lol!

Do you have any parents or truly non-trads in your MS class?
In my rising MS4 class we have a decent amount of parents & career switchers (late 20's/early 30's), but only 1 classmate who is an "older" nontrad (almost 40). From what I've seen, Baylor, and most TX schools for that matter, tend to have younger classes (avg 0-3 gap years) than some out-of-state schools.

A lot of this is a numbers game as well. There are 100x more fresh-out-of-college students than there are 10+ gap year applicants. I'd still apply and see where it goes, especially if you're from Texas or have ties to Houston.

Thank you! I am 32 and lived/worked in the oilfield in Houston for 8 years before moving away in 2020. So fingers crossed.

I would suspect it has more to do with MCAT and GPA filtering that happens at elite schools. I am betting if someone has a PhD and is applying at 40, they have a really good shot at Baylor.

Anyone know how the Temple campus is going to work? Curious if people are going to be forced there or is there some way that they know 40 people will voluntarily go over the TMC?