2023-2024 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @lkak for sharing this year's prompts.

2023-2024 Baylor Secondary Essay Prompts

1. In addition to training as a competent physician, please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply.

Clinical Research
Healthcare/disparities/medical undeserved communities
Academic Medicine
Community Health
Simulation in medical education
Health systems science
Telehealth
Advocacy

What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1,000 character limit)

2. Are you planning to matriculate into medical school immediately after completing your undergraduate education? If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application. (no limit)

3. Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat TMDSAS or AMCAS application information. This section is mandatory. Please make sure you submit an essay or your application will not be reviewed by the committee. (2000 character limit).

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
MD/PhD Applicants Additional Prompts:

1-Please describe your primary research Interests for PhD training. [Limit of 1000 characters]

2-Why do you think Baylor College of Medicine MD/PhD Program would be a good place for you to train to be a physician scientist? Please provide names of potential Baylor College of Medicine and/or Rice University faculty with whom you would like to work. (Will not limit final research project or mentor selection) [Limit of 1500 characters]

3-Tell us about a characteristic(s) that may enable you to interact with people from a wide range of ages, experiences, viewpoints, and backgrounds. [Limit of 1000 characters]

4-Published articles, please provide full citations:

5-Plans for the 2023-2024 academic year description [Limit of 1000 characters]

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
dmv-beetlejuice.gif

Reapplying to Baylor this year. I am getting into Houston this year. I can feel it!
In all seriousness, though, any new applicants can feel free to PM me and ask questions or tips for interviewing to any school, etc. :) Good luck!

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hello everyone,

I'm an incoming PGY1 who just graduated from Baylor. I was in your position 5 years ago and want to give back to the community.

I loved my time at the school, and am incredibly happy with how well I matched. I am happy to answer questions about Baylor, preclinicals, clinics, Houston, and the Texas Medical Center. Feel free to tag me on this thread, or DM me. Best of luck applying!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I'm an incoming PGY1 who just graduated from Baylor. I was in your position 5 years ago and want to give back to the community.

I loved my time at the school, and am incredibly happy with how well I matched. I am happy to answer questions about Baylor, preclinicals, clinics, Houston, and the Texas Medical Center. Feel free to tag me on this thread, or DM me. Best of luck applying!
Can World History courses fulfill the Humanities-Social prerequisites at Baylor COM ?

I would count them as social studies. It all depends on how you classify in setting up the classes in tmdsas and as long as they are on your college transcript, you can classify them the way you want to fit the needs. Usually the disputes arise for core science requirements and TMDSAS defines which college courses are allowed for most colleges in US to be classified which way but they have no such disputes for non-science areas.

Thank you very much. Yes, TMDSAS dont have further classification in Non science areas., But wondering how Baylor would count them in Humanities-social. They even included Foreign language, art history, literature, philosophy, religion in those list. Now it made me to think if all the courses other than Science, math, Otherscience, Engineering, Management, Finance could fit in that bucket.

Do we wait to receive secondaries from Baylor or do we go online to their website and submit them? Thanks!!

Just received Baylor's secondary! Here are the prompts:

1- In addition to training as a competent physician, please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply.
Clinical Research
Academic Medicine
Community Health
Health systems science
Telehealth
Advocacy

What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1,000 character limit)

2- Are you planning to matriculate into medical school immediately after completing your undergraduate education? If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application. (no limit)

3- Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat TMDSAS or AMCAS application information. This section is mandatory. Please make sure you submit an essay or your application will not be reviewed by the committee. (2000 character limit).

@chilly_md

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users

1- In addition to training as a competent physician, please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply.
Clinical Research
Academic Medicine
Community Health
Health systems science
Telehealth
Advocacy

2- Are you planning to matriculate into medical school immediately after completing your undergraduate education? If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application. (no limit)

3- Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat TMDSAS or AMCAS application information. This section is mandatory. Please make sure you submit an essay or your application will not be reviewed by the committee. (2000 character limit).

@chilly_md
Same good luck!!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
For question 1, when it asks "what knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?" do we need to specifically talk about the two areas of interest or is the question more broad?

(Edit): Also, for the second prompt, does a gap semester warrant me selecting no? I plan on graduating in the winter so this would theoretically leave me with a semester off.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For question 1, when it asks "what knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?" do we need to specifically talk about the two areas of interest or is the question more broad?

(Edit): Also, for the second prompt, does a gap semester warrant me selecting no? I plan on graduating in the winter so this would theoretically leave me with a semester off.
I believe it is supposed to be specific to the areas you selected (whether you pick 1 or 2 of them).

See wysdoc's answer for your question on the second prompt from last year's thread and modify it accordingly.

I believe it is supposed to be specific to the areas you selected (whether you pick 1 or 2 of them).

See wysdoc's answer for your question on the second prompt from last year's thread and modify it accordingly.
I think I'm confused because the second half of the question states "If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application."

I'm applying right now while still in college (upcoming senior) but I'll be graduating in the middle of the cycle (this December). I'm just unsure whether this question would apply to me.

I think I'm confused because the second half of the question states "If not, please explain what activities and/or careers you have pursued in the time between your college education and your application."

I'm applying right now while still in college (upcoming senior) but I'll be graduating in the middle of the cycle (this December). I'm just unsure whether this question would apply to me.
The question assumes you are not in school. If you are still in school at the time of app, it should not apply.

OTOH, if you want to claim you are graduating early, it would be probably worth answering the question so you make yourself more interesting and get to talk more about yourself.

The question assumes you are not in school. If you are still in school at the time of school, it should not apply.
Could you clarify that last sentence please

I am in your boat. I assume that we won't get penalized for answering

I am in your boat. I assume that we won't get penalized for answering
Why are you assuming that you will be penalized? It seems more like an opportunity to say you will spend six months doing some interesting things like trekking across Mt. Everest or finding a cure to cancer.

The question assumes someone is either one or more years out of college and it is expecting one to show they have spent that time meaningfully. Other schools ask same question but put differently, asking how have you kept yourself current with academics or research.

Why are you assuming that you will be penalized? It seems more like an opportunity to say you will spend six months doing some interesting things like trekking across Mt. Everest or finding a cure to cancer.

The question assumes someone is either one or more years out of college and it is expecting one to show they have spent that time meaningfully. Other schools ask same question but put differently, asking how have you kept yourself current with academics or research.
I'm wondering about recently graduated seniors. I won't start working my full-time job until the end of July so I am wondering if it is worth it to discuss what I plan to do for my gap year or if I should just talk about my summer activities.

I'm wondering about recently graduated seniors. I won't start working my full-time job until the end of July so I am wondering if it is worth it to discuss what I plan to do for my gap year or if I should just talk about my summer activities.
A sample response that you could use was provided in the link I shared in post #14.

Clinical Research
Academic Medicine
Community Health
Health systems science
Telehealth
Advocacy

@chilly_md
For the first question, is it expected of us to choose two or would it be okay to choose only one and stick to that? I.e. will it look bad if we don't choose two areas of interest?

The question is pretty much meant for people who graduated or graduating in 2023 since they are expected to have a gap year.

There is nothing wrong in taking up a fulltime job. You are still expected to be volunteering etc in my opinion.

Can the third essay be used as a "why Baylor?"
It is a mandatory essay giving you the opportunity to sell yourself. How do you make it about why Baylor?

It is your chance to convince Baylor they want to talk to you because of who you are, not who they are. Most supplements should point to why you want to attend a specific school but you need to convince them why you while saying why them.

in essay #2, would it be appropriate to use this space to expand upon your experiences in your gap years? Like give a story about a patient interaction and talk about what you learned from it. Questions like these are already addressed in the primary application, so I am confused why they ask for it again in the secondaries.

in essay #2, would it be appropriate to use this space to expand upon your experiences in your gap years? Like give a story about a patient interaction and talk about what you learned from it. Questions like these are already addressed in the primary application, so I am confused why they ask for it again in the secondaries.
I read the question and thought exactly the same but it is different in a way from primary because primary focused only on reapplicants and not people in gap years. The space for whatever reason is unlimited but it does not seem to be asking what you want to do. You could state that you learnt specific skills due to your interactions with patients but not necessarily from one incident. There are other schools that are looking for such essays but it would be unwise to cut and paste it here.

does anyone know how to define clinical research vs. academic medicine? i've been googling but struggling to come up with clear definitions...

does anyone know how to define clinical research vs. academic medicine? i've been googling but struggling to come up with clear definitions...
Clinical research: would be enrolling your patients in ongoing studies the way medical oncologists do: being sure a patient meets the criteria for certain treatments, collecting data and either writing it up yourself or sharing it with the principal investigator of the clinical trial.
Academic medicine: interest in teaching students or residents in affiliation with a medical school

Reactions: 1 user
Reapplying to Baylor this year. I am getting into Houston this year. I can feel it!
In all seriousness, though, any new applicants can feel free to PM me and ask questions or tips for interviewing to any school, etc. :) Good luck!
Likewise, open here if any applicants this season have questions about the Baylor application process! Also based Beetlejuice reference lol

• Haha
+1 secondary for MSTP

• Wow
+1 secondary for MSTP
+1

MD/PhD additonal prompts:

-Please describe your primary research Interests for PhD training. [Limit of 1000 characters]

-Why do you think Baylor College of Medicine MD/PhD Program would be a good place for you to train to be a physician scientist? Please provide names of potential Baylor College of Medicine and/or Rice University faculty with whom you would like to work. (Will not limit final research project or mentor selection) [Limit of 1500 characters]

-Tell us about a characteristic(s) that may enable you to interact with people from a wide range of ages, experiences, viewpoints, and backgrounds. [Limit of 1000 characters]

-Published articles, please provide full citations:

-Plans for the 2023-2024 academic year description [Limit of 1000 characters]

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all! I applied to both the MSTP and MD programs. I submitted TMDSAS a little late (june 4ish) and so was verified on TMDSAS on june 29, AMCAS on june 27. Yesterday, I received the secondary for the MSTP, but when I input my TMDSAS ID and try to reset my password, I did not get an email to reset. Anyone else have this problem or should I email the admissions office? I haven't received an MD secondary invite yet. thanks!

Hey all! I applied to both the MSTP and MD programs. I submitted TMDSAS a little late (june 4ish) and so was verified on TMDSAS on june 29, AMCAS on june 27. Yesterday, I received the secondary for the MSTP, but when I input my TMDSAS ID and try to reset my password, I did not get an email to reset. Anyone else have this problem or should I email the admissions office? I haven't received an MD secondary invite yet. thanks!
Try resetting it with your AMCAS ID number

From the TMDSAS Guide, MD/PhD applicants:
The UT System, Texas Tech University HSC and Texas A&M University Medical Schools and UNT Health Science Center-TCOM along with their Graduate schools offer combined MD/PhD or DO/PhD Programs. The Combined Degree Program is a 6-8 year course of study designed specifically to meet the training needs of individuals dedicated to a career in biomedical research. Successful applicants should have significant research experiences prior to application to the program.

Applicants to the joint MD/PhD program at University of Texas Southwestern, UT Medical Branch at Galveston, UT HSC at Houston, UT Health at San Antonio Long School of Medicine, and Texas A&M University College of Medicine must complete the AMCAS application as the primary application and pay the required application fee to AMCAS.

Those joint degree applicants who also want to be considered for the MD only program at the above schools must submit a TMDSAS application in addition to the AMCAS application as applicants cannot apply to the MD only program through AMCAS.

Applicants to the DO/PhD at UNTHSC -TCOM and MD/PhD at Texas Tech HSC SOM at Lubbock need ONLY to select the appropriate program on the TMDSAS application.

It doesn't really mention Baylor in the TMDSAS guide, so try an email to the Baylor MD/PhD admissions office

I am a student over yonder at UT Southwestern. Was also accepted to Baylor (Houston) as an out of state'r. Happy to answer questions concerning UTSW and Baylor (limited to what I know). will NOT review any essays.

do we think baylor will send out interview invites in august? the waiting stinks

Are they strictly TMDSAS now or can people still submit apps via AMCAS still?

Should I be concerned/email them since I haven't received an MD secondary yet? Is anyone in the same boat?
I dont' believe they screen. If you haven't double checked your junk and deleted, I would do that first. If it's been a week and a half or longer, I might reach out to the admissions office about not receiving one. It's unlikely but possible that there was some issue with their email system, which did happen to me for another school

yeah same I never received an MD secondary. emailed and no response either
but i have gotten the MSTP one