2022-2023 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But didn't ICOM graduate its first class? I suppose the video just mentioned that they now have to go through the application process. They said they're hoping to have federal aid available for Fall 2023.
We’re very close. Y’all will have them for your class.

Members don't see this ad.

I might be wrong I thought the next year was the first graduating class but hopefully federal aid comes in for next fall
Right. I watched the match video and read the match stats. That's not graduation lol. Duh.

Members don't see this ad :)
@@pacopoolo,
Please elaborate
The match happens during the end of M3/OMS-III. So, their graduating class has residency slots secured, they just don't graduate quite yet. I was mixing up the two.

The match happens during the end of M3/OMS-III. So, their graduating class has residency slots secured, they just don't graduate quite yet. I was mixing up the two.
You apply for residencies in OMS-IV, and match results are released in March every year. The first ICOM class graduated in May 2022, so the match list represents current 1st year residents that started in July of this year at their respective programs.

Reactions: 1 user
You apply for residencies in OMS-IV, and match results are released in March every year. The first ICOM class graduated in May 2022, so the match list represents current 1st year residents that started in July of this year at their respective programs.
Oh. So, they definitely have graduated a class then?

I suppose that is a rhetorical question.

What holds them up from federal loans then?

Last edited:
Oh. So, they definitely have graduated a class then?

I suppose that is a rhetorical question.

What holds them up from federal loans then?
The government.

It’s slow and there’s a lot of **** going on lol.

You graduate at the end of OMS4 after you’ve matched during the March/April prior to May grad date.

The government.

It’s slow and there’s a lot of **** going on lol.

You graduate at the end of OMS4 after you’ve matched during the March/April prior to May grad date.
Right? (Thanks @papaBiden for today's announcement). I suppose it's really not a big deal. They just mentioned it very directly in the financial aid videos and doing some research on private loans was a little scary.

Right? (Thanks @papaBiden for today's announcement). I suppose it's really not a big deal. They just mentioned it very directly in the financial aid videos and doing some research on private loans was a little scary.
Private loans are fine really. You just have to make sure your interest rate isnt through the roof. Otherwise, there's no difference besides having to manually defer your Gov Loans

I think the issue with private is credit scores tbh, like my stuff is maxed trying to apply to schools and naturally my credit is now ass

I think the issue with private is credit scores tbh, like my stuff is maxed trying to apply to schools and naturally my credit is now ass
Yeah. There's that, but it's more the "protections" that come with federal loans. If i get hit by a car right after med school and am permanently disabled, i can go for income based repayment and be ok. With private loans, I'd still be on the hook and SOL because they won't go away even through bankruptcy.

Hi everyone! I just recieved a secondary application from ICOM. Under the letter of recommendation it asks:

To verify that we have received the required letter of recommendation from a Premedical Committee Chair, Academic Advisor or PhD Science Faculty, please enter their name below.

I have two letters from science professors and three letters from physicians. Would I just put the names of the two science professors in this case, or all five? Thank you.

Hi everyone! I just recieved a secondary application from ICOM. Under the letter of recommendation it asks:

To verify that we have received the required letter of recommendation from a Premedical Committee Chair, Academic Advisor or PhD Science Faculty, please enter their name below.

I have two letters from science professors and three letters from physicians. Would I just put the names of the two science professors in this case, or all five? Thank you.
Put down a professor and a DO if you have only two options. If you have more, put them all down.

Members don't see this ad :)
@_bonewizard

How much OMM do you guys do a week? Are lectures mandatory (or can I watch at 2x speed online)? Do you feel you have plenty of time in the curriculum to study for COMLEX/USMLE?

@_bonewizard

How much OMM do you guys do a week? Are lectures mandatory (or can I watch at 2x speed online)? Do you feel you have plenty of time in the curriculum to study for COMLEX/USMLE?
2 hours of lab, 1 hour of lecture. Mostly not mandatory but adjunct lectures are. They’re recorded and you can watch them from home. Yes but like most schools they don’t teach to board.

What does "You could be selected for an interview at any point during the cycle" mean? Does this mean I've been put on hold, and they're holding off on giving me an interview at this point? Or is it literally just an update saying they are now deciding whether to give me an interview or not?

What does "You could be selected for an interview at any point during the cycle" mean? Does this mean I've been put on hold, and they're holding off on giving me an interview at this point? Or is it literally just an update saying they are now deciding whether to give me an interview or not?
The latter. They realized the way they did it for CO' 2025 was not productive. You're just done with secondaries and onto II.

Google says they are approved for 150 + 8%, giving a class size of 162. I imagine they'll do lots more interviews, but I have been unable to find those statistics online. If they're similar to PNWU, they will probably interview around 500.
500 is probably about right

But didn't ICOM graduate its first class? I suppose the video just mentioned that they now have to go through the application process. They said they're hoping to have federal aid available for Fall 2023.
Technically, at this present moment ICOM does not qualify for federal loans. Thus, the school cannot state that they offer federal loans. We graduated our first class and everything did check out for us. We are now in a 9-12m review process and will know sometime in the spring where we stand on federal loans. If all goes well we will access to federal loans by Fall 2023

Yeah. There's that, but it's more the "protections" that come with federal loans. If i get hit by a car right after med school and am permanently disabled, i can go for income based repayment and be ok. With private loans, I'd still be on the hook and SOL because they won't go away even through bankruptcy.
This is more gray than it is black or white. There was actually an act of congress that allows your private student loans to die with you, even if you have a cosigner. Yes, private loans can seem more sharkish than federal loans, but take the time to read your lenders policy and call them with any questions.

This is more gray than it is black or white. There was actually an act of congress that allows your private student loans to die with you, even if you have a cosigner. Yes, private loans can seem more sharkish than federal loans, but take the time to read your lenders policy and call them with any questions.
Also worrying about your loans when you die/get injured is a very narrow POV lol. You'll be in debt either way you do it and there's programs to deter debt and scholarships to escape it. At the end of the day, you'll make plenty.

Gut impressions post interview:

- When Dr. Farnsworth was talking, it was amazing. It was like the stars aligned and I was clinging onto every word he said. He seems like a really nice guy. Hearing him speak screamed to me "come to ICOM!"
- Dr. Wilson was also super impressive and nice. I love how student-centric they seem. They obviously get lots of the same questions a lot and were ready with answers.
- My interview itself was not very personal. In other interviews I have had, they asked very specific questions about specific experiences on my application. Not such here. Also, my interviewers seemed to clash against each other in some of their answers...like, they weren't very united. I was asked specifically about a withdrawl from a course I had my senior year (she called it a huge red flag). I'm not very confident post-interview.

I hope everyone's interviews today went well. Overall impressions of ICOM are great, but I'm really not sure how to feel about my interview specifically.

- When Dr. Farnsworth was talking, it was amazing. It was like the stars aligned and I was clinging onto every word he said. He seems like a really nice guy. Hearing him speak screamed to me "come to ICOM!"
- Dr. Wilson was also super impressive and nice. I love how student-centric they seem. They obviously get lots of the same questions a lot and were ready with answers.
- My interview itself was not very personal. In other interviews I have had, they asked very specific questions about specific experiences on my application. Not such here. Also, my interviewers seemed to clash against each other in some of their answers...like, they weren't very united. I was asked specifically about a withdrawl from a course I had my senior year (she called it a huge red flag). I'm not very confident post-interview.

I hope everyone's interviews today went well. Overall impressions of ICOM are great, but I'm really not sure how to feel about my interview specifically.
Can I DM you?

They knew about the course withdrawal before giving you the invite.Youll be fine , don't worry

Interesting. I’m set to interview here soon as well. From the information session everything seemed to be amazing.

Do you mind sharing what specifically they were clashing with each other on? Was it the questions they were asking, or were they responding differently to your answers?

I’m sorry your experience wasn’t amazing, but I have faith you’ll be fine.

Interesting. I’m set to interview here soon as well. From the information session everything seemed to be amazing.

Do you mind sharing what specifically they were clashing with each other on? Was it the questions they were asking, or were they responding differently to your answers?

I’m sorry your experience wasn’t amazing, but I have faith you’ll be fine.
They asked me about my study skills and habits. One of my interviewers asked how much time I thought I would study each day of the week (a question I hadn't really considered before). She stressed the importance of studying for many, many hours and making cuts in one's personal life to make adequate time for school. The other interviewer countered and said that it was more important to figure out *how* to efficiently study than to put hours and hours into watching videos or whatever. It was an awkward interaction.

Again, my overall impression from ICOM is absolutely fantastic. Just a strange interview.

They asked me about my study skills and habits. One of my interviewers asked how much time I thought I would study each day of the week (a question I hadn't really considered before). She stressed the importance of studying for many, many hours and making cuts in one's personal life to make adequate time for school. The other interviewer countered and said that it was more important to figure out *how* to efficiently study than to put hours and hours into watching videos or whatever. It was an awkward interaction.

Again, my overall impression from ICOM is absolutely fantastic. Just a strange interview.
I see! Very interesting, sounds like they were at odds with each other on what Is ideal for them.

Doubt they’d hold whatever you said against you unless you said something off the wall like 10 minutes of studying a day.

I mean you do have to study many hours which still will not be enough if you are not doing it efficiently. That is why many students give their 100% and still fail classes in the beginning.

I mean you do have to study many hours which still will not be enough if you are not doing it efficiently. That is why many students give their 100% and still fail classes in the beginning.
It's very possible to give like 50% and still do really well.

Honestly, my plans for med school studying are 100% Anki and uWorld, but i really didn't want to say that in my interview.

Honestly, my plans for med school studying are 100% Anki and uWorld, but i really didn't want to say that in my interview.
That works till you have to learn minutiae in PhD lectures lol. But it's a great start. Better for boards than for In-House.

UWORLD isn’t really useful till you start studying for Step 1 tho. You will have many other resources so keep your options open.

Ps I mentioned in my interview that i would probably fail my first my anatomy exam like all my other friends who went to medical school. That I would adapt and do not fear failing few exams in order to learn how to study:)

Edit: I DO not recommend you saying stuff like this unless you have record to back up your resiliency and adaptability and you are being genuine . If you are not genuine they could tell and that would end up being against you. No one likes a candidate that bashes him or herself

UWORLD isn’t really useful till you start studying for Step 1 tho. You will have many other resources so keep your options open.

Ps I mentioned in my interview that i would probably fail my first my anatomy exam like all my other friends who went to medical school. That I would adapt and do not fear failing few exams in order to learn how to study:)

Edit: I DO not recommend you saying stuff like this unless you have record to back up your resiliency and adaptability and you are being genuine . If you are not genuine they could tell and that would end up being against you. No one likes a candidate that bashes him or herself
The first one won’t be the one you fail 😂

Does anyone know if they received a confirmation of their headshot being received? I sent mine on Monday, but have not received confirmation of receipt. Not sure if they even do that.

Does anyone know if they received a confirmation of their headshot being received? I sent mine on Monday, but have not received confirmation of receipt. Not sure if they even do that.
I did not receive a confirmation.

bonee wizzarrrrd, any ideas when they will start rolling out the next set of interviews invites?
Usually every two-ish weeks I think. Based on the usual movement. But that might be later in the cycle. Ought to be today honestly. I know they have our As/Rs on Friday’s.

Reactions: 1 users
I received an II Tuesday 8/30 at 9:00am MT time. I was complete 8/27; stats are 514, 3.74, ORM, Montana resident. I'm scheduled to interview 8/21