2022-2023 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hoping for some movement in AL today.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Is there any chance people who interviewed at OHSU last cycle that were instate applicants could tell me what their stats were? I'm instate and am debating applying since my stats are kind of low. I know this is off topic and people are waiting to see if they've been admitted but I thought it might be worth asking.
Overall, I must concur with the other responses. I feel like they want to see excellence in your application but don't expect perfection. A low GPA or MCAT can be compensated for (one or the other), as long as you show strength in other domains. Commitment to medicine and learning will be critical. They really do look at the whole applicant. Things like service, lifelong learning, integrity, and resilience will show within multiple areas of your application. Stats are helpful, but I can tell you many accepted applicants will have some blemishes; however, all matriculants will have areas where they shine. Show them where you excel and your odds of getting an interview increase dramatically. Keep in mind, in excess of 85% of the class will come from Oregon or have strong ties to Oregon. When the school posts up the GPA and MCAT stats, most of the averages will come from in state applicants. Of course, statistically, most of the 4.00 GPA, 528 MCAT people are from OOS, but sometimes they are home grown. The good news is that commitment and hard work can get you in. Besides, the OHSU application process is not any worse than the other schools. If you are already building a complete application, the financial commitment is pretty small to add OHSU to the list.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Overall, I must concur with the other responses. I feel like they want to see excellence in your application but don't expect perfection. A low GPA or MCAT can be compensated for (one or the other), as long as you show strength in other domains. Commitment to medicine and learning will be critical. They really do look at the whole applicant. Things like service, lifelong learning, integrity, and resilience will show within multiple areas of your application. Stats are helpful, but I can tell you many accepted applicants will have some blemishes; however, all matriculants will have areas where they shine. Show them where you excel and your odds of getting an interview increase dramatically. Keep in mind, in excess of 85% of the class will come from Oregon or have strong ties to Oregon. When the school posts up the GPA and MCAT stats, most of the averages will come from in state applicants. Of course, statistically, most of the 4.00 GPA, 528 MCAT people are from OOS, but sometimes they are home grown. The good news is that commitment and hard work can get you in. Besides, the OHSU application process is not any worse than the other schools. If you are already building a complete application, the financial commitment is pretty small to add OHSU to the list.
I second this. I’m a reapplicant. Low stat MCAT and mediocre GPA. But I flexed on all the other stuff 😂

Reactions: 1 user
Lol. Agreed. Maybe I should read a couple review articles on where to sit in the classroom :unsure:.
I was always told there was an "A-T zone". That is, those that sit in a T-shape, get the A's. Students sitting in the front rows and anywhere along the middle are most successful when seated in lecture style classes. That being said, the RSLB has 2 large screens in lecture hall 1. You can sit just about anywhere and get an awesome view of all the slides and the professors can be mic'ed up to the PA system. It's a nice space. I took Cellular Biology in there. :)

I was always told there was an "A-T zone". That is, those that sit in a T-shape, get the A's. Students sitting in the front rows and anywhere along the middle are most successful when seated in lecture style classes. That being said, the RSLB has 2 large screens in lecture hall 1. You can sit just about anywhere and get an awesome view of all the slides and the professors can be mic'ed up to the PA system. It's a nice space. I took Cellular Biology in there. :)

The classrooms in the RLSB where med students take class have two large screens on every wall and are set up so there isn't a front row. We don't use Lecture Hall 1. But it's true that you can sit anywhere and be able to see and hear.

My favorite spot in the RLSB lecture hall is my couch viewing through the webcam recording🙏

Reactions: 3 users
Heads up for anyone who may want to know. So far they've accepted through alternate #26.

Hi! I was born and raised in Oregon and attended high school and college there. I moved out of state last year for a postbac research fellowship, and plan to stay out of state for at least another year for my program. I still have a permanent address in Oregon (parent's house), pay Oregon taxes, and have an Oregon driver's license. Would I still be considered an in-state resident for OHSU if I apply this cycle (2023) or next cycle (2024)? Thank you!
For Oregon residents, in order to be considered OOS for residency/tuition purposes, OHSU's policy is that you have to be living outside of Oregon for 12 consecutive months without being enrolled in school. Sounds like you're out of state only for education purposes, thus you should still qualify as IS. Once you fill out your information through AMCAS you will also be given an IS/OOS determination for application purposes, which is a good way to double check everything.

Hi! I was born and raised in Oregon and attended high school and college there. I moved out of state last year for a postbac research fellowship, and plan to stay out of state for at least another year for my program. I still have a permanent address in Oregon (parent's house), pay Oregon taxes, and have an Oregon driver's license. Would I still be considered an in-state resident for OHSU if I apply this cycle (2023) or next cycle (2024)? Thank you!
You should look into OHSU’s “heritage” policy. It sounds like you might fit and if so would be given the same preference as in-state applicants. The tuition rules are different and depend mostly on where you reside, with few exceptions.

If this year follows the general trend of years past, then they should take few more from the AL.

Bruhh does anyone have any insight into how many more people they are going to accept off the waitlist??? I accepted a job across the country and they want me to start right away. However, I accepted thinking that there would be absolutely no way that I get accepted off the OHSU waitlist, given that I'm #64. However, with the waitlist now at #55, I'm not so sure. I'm just afraid I'm going to blow a ton of money and waste my employers' time by taking the job and moving

Bruhh does anyone have any insight into how many more people they are going to accept off the waitlist??? I accepted a job across the country and they want me to start right away. However, I accepted thinking that there would be absolutely no way that I get accepted off the OHSU waitlist, given that I'm #64. However, with the waitlist now at #55, I'm not so sure. I'm just afraid I'm going to blow a ton of money and waste my employers' time by taking the job and moving
I know someone in a similar situation. She is in high 50s wait list at OHSU. She reached out to her employer and explained the situation. They agreed for her to start remote onboarding.

I know someone in a similar situation. She is in high 50s wait list at OHSU. She reached out to her employer and explained the situation. They agreed for her to start remote onboarding.
No updates on acceptances? After living through this excruciating process 3 times before succeeding, inquiring minds want to know how many accepted this year. LOL!

No updates on acceptances? After living through this excruciating process 3 times before succeeding, inquiring minds want to know how many accepted this year. LOL!
So did the accepted list get beyond #55? Let's report for the for the benefit and historical record for future classes.

Reactions: 1 users