2022-2023 Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @ally12 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Temple Secondary Essay Prompts

1. What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine? (2,000 characters)

2. How do you plan on contributing to the Lewis Katz School of Medicine Community?
LKSOM seeks an engaged student body with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and interests to enhance the medical school experience for everyone. Please use the space below to describe what makes you unique as an applicant, an obstacle that you had to overcome, or how you will contribute to the LKSOM community. (2,000 characters)

3. Tell us about your special interest in the campus you selected. (2,000 characters)
**There are 2 campuses: 1. North Philadelphia and 2. St. Luke's campus in Bethlehem, PA. The one you select is the one where you will be considered for admission.**

4. What are your plans for the current year - June 2022 until June 2023? (2,000 characters)

5. The Coronavirus pandemic has affected all of us.
Please use this space to describe to us how you were impacted academically, personally or professionally by COVID-19. (2,000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Temple University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you post the prompts please?
1. What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine? Note: (2,000 characters w/spaces)
2. How do you plan on contributing to the Lewis Katz School of Medicine Community?
LKSOM seeks an engaged student body with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and interests to enhance the medical school experience for everyone. Please use the space below to describe what makes you unique as an applicant, an obstacle that you had to overcome, or how you will contribute to the LKSOM community. (2,000 characters w/spaces)
3. Tell us about your special interest in the campus you selected. (2,000 characters w/spaces)
4. What are your plans for the current year - June 2022 until June 2023? (2,000 characters w/spaces)
Please use this space to describe to us how you were impacted academically, personally or professionally by COVID-19. (2,000 characters w/spaces)

Reactions: 2 users
1. What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine? Note: (2,000 characters w/spaces)
LKSOM seeks an engaged student body with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and interests to enhance the medical school experience for everyone. Please use the space below to describe what makes you unique as an applicant, an obstacle that you had to overcome, or how you will contribute to the LKSOM community. (2,000 characters w/spaces)
3. Tell us about your special interest in the campus you selected. (2,000 characters w/spaces)
4. What are your plans for the current year - June 2022 until June 2023? (2,000 characters w/spaces)
Please use this space to describe to us how you were impacted academically, personally or professionally by COVID-19. (2,000 characters w/spaces)
Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the first time I've seen this SAT/ACT question. I'm a nontrad so I took those tests over 10 years ago... I don't even know where I would go to find the results, and I certainly don't remember them. I obviously don't want to lie and say I took neither. Would just putting "Unk." for all the score values suffice, since they say it's optional (despite requiring a selection of an answer)?

This is the first time I've seen this SAT/ACT question. I'm a nontrad so I took those tests over 10 years ago... I don't even know where I would go to find the results, and I certainly don't remember them. I obviously don't want to lie and say I took neither. Would just putting "Unk." for all the score values suffice, since they say it's optional (despite requiring a selection of an answer)?
You should be able to find your scores on college board if you go through the forgot my account process. But since it’s optional I would say unless you did well don’t put it

Did anyone receive a confirmation email that their secondary was submitted?

I spoke with Temple Admissions this morning regarding campus selection and FYI - whichever campus you choose will be the ONLY campus you are considered for. There is no way to be considered for both! You do get a 2,000 character essay on which campus you chose and why. Admissions said they've been getting a lot of questions about this so I thought I'd spread the word. Choose carefully! Good luck everybody :).

I spoke with Temple Admissions this morning regarding campus selection and FYI - whichever campus you choose will be the ONLY campus you are considered for. There is no way to be considered for both! You do get a 2,000 character essay on which campus you chose and why. Admissions said they've been getting a lot of questions about this so I thought I'd spread the word. Choose carefully! Good luck everybody :).
Thanks @YeeOldeMillenial, I added a note about this in the essay prompts list in the first post. If anyone has different facts about this please let me know.

Is anyone's CASPER score not marked as received?
Mine is also marked as not received. I think they have to manually go in and correlate with your app (at least that has been the case with all of the other CASPER schools I've applied to)

Reactions: 1 users
How are you all answering question 2? Can we treat it as an obstacle question only?

How are you all answering question 2? Can we treat it as an obstacle question only?
I wouldn't; the main question is "How do you plan on contributing to the Lewis Katz School of Medicine Community?" so imo the obstacle you overcame should be related to what you'll contribute

• Dislike
I wouldn't; the main question is "How do you plan on contributing to the Lewis Katz School of Medicine Community?" so imo the obstacle you overcame should be related to what you'll contribute
Idk they also restated the contribution to LKSOM part after the OR too

Mine is also marked as not received. I think they have to manually go in and correlate with your app (at least that has been the case with all of the other CASPER schools I've applied to)
How long did it take for the portal to mark your Casper results as "received"?

Can anyone speak to the differences between North Philly campus and St.Lukes campus

Just a heads up for any reapplicants. I didn't get a new email but I decided to check my portal again and the new application showed up so keep a lookout for that FYI

• Wow
Just a heads up for any reapplicants. I didn't get a new email but I decided to check my portal again and the new application showed up so keep a lookout for that FYI
I was wondering why temple hasn’t emailed me yet, I gotta check now! Thank you

I'm thinking to take a personal experience turned insights to medicine route for my COVID essay. Is that a bad idea? Is everyone just answering it matter-o-factly?

I'm thinking to take a personal experience turned insights to medicine route for my COVID essay. Is that a bad idea? Is everyone just answering it matter-o-factly?
I think that’s great. Tell your story!

Loving that the application website is on the nicer side compared to most schools

what did you guys talk about in What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine? vs Tell us about your special interest in the campus you selected.

For 'nature of interest in organization' I talked about programs/research I was interested in and my history with Temple (I took some classes at Temple and have done work/con ed at both hospital areas).

For 'special interest in campus' I talked about how I had a long history of work/study/family/ecs in the Greater Philadelphia area, particularly the city. This one got a little weird (I've done some really rando volunteering stuff), and I'm expecting to have to answer for that in an interview.

Unsolicited recommendation: After you finish writing both of these, reread them both to be sure that you answered the question, they're actually distinct, and that you didn't repeat yourself. I ended up straight up cut/pasting paragraphs from one to the other because I realized I veered to the other topic.

For 'nature of interest in organization' I talked about programs/research I was interested in and my history with Temple (I took some classes at Temple and have done work/con ed at both hospital areas).

For 'special interest in campus' I talked about how I had a long history of work/study/family/ecs in the Greater Philadelphia area, particularly the city. This one got a little weird (I've done some really rando volunteering stuff), and I'm expecting to have to answer for that in an interview.

Unsolicited recommendation: After you finish writing both of these, reread them both to be sure that you answered the question, they're actually distinct, and that you didn't repeat yourself. I ended up straight up cut/pasting paragraphs from one to the other because I realized I veered to the other topic.
i talked about community service for the first one, but now i feel like i should include it for the special interest in campus one instead.

i talked about community service for the first one, but now i feel like i should include it for the special interest in campus one instead.
I think the biggest question is whether your answer addressed the prompt. I talked about community service in relationship to Philly because it shows that (as an OOS candidate) I have a lot of fairly-recent ties to the area.

OOS submitted 7/27, complete and under review email received 7/28

How do you guys approach these types of questions: What are your plans for the current year - June 2022 until June 2023?

I usually just list everything I'm doing, but it always sounds so bland. Do you guys use anecdotes for this one?

How do you guys approach these types of questions: What are your plans for the current year - June 2022 until June 2023?

I usually just list everything I'm doing, but it always sounds so bland. Do you guys use anecdotes for this one?
Describe the activities you're doing but make sure to include your goals, what you've learned so far, and (if applicable) how they'll prepare you to be a physician

How long does it take to get a secondary received/complete email? Haven’t gotten anything except my receipt haha