2022-2023 University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS II just now!! LM 70, complete 7/17, ORM

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II this evening. IS, 7/21 complete

Last edited:
I got an II on friday (08/19). My application was complete on 07/26. I'm OOS also! I'm honestly shocked

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I'm OOS too but UNC is one of my top choices. Do you have any ties?
Not really, other than that I briefly worked in North Carolina last year. What about you? Do you know the rates of acceptance post-interview for out-of-state? Are IS interviewees preferred?

Is anyone who got an interview a reapplicant? Their website says that the reapplication process tends to take longer so just curious if they seem to be reviewing everyone together or if they're reviewing reapplicants separately!

Current MS1 here - feel free to DM me with any questions you have! Plz refrain from specific secondary/interview Qs but I will be as upfront and transparent with anything else you'd like to know!

Current MS1 here - feel free to DM me with any questions you have! Plz refrain from specific secondary/interview Qs but I will be as upfront and transparent with anything else you'd like to know!
Do nearly all/most students just pay the "sticker price"?

Do nearly all/most students just pay the "sticker price"?
Great question! The cost of attendance fluctuates every year, but not by much. I believe the tuition from years' past can be found on the SOM financial aid website but if not, I'm sure if you contacted their office they'd be happy to provide you with more info. If your question surrounds whether or not there are hidden fees or if you pay for what you see on the COA total... I have yet to come across any extra fees besides what is already listed under "misc. fees" on the COA total (Ipad fee, vaccines, etc.). Everything is listed in a comprehensive breakdown on this website: Cost of Education | Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

Your COA might be different than that of your classmates based on if you already have health insurance, where you live, roommates, etc. The SOM does an excellent job of providing a lot of scholarships as well. The SOM sends out a separate scholarship application to incoming and current students every year. While there is a fair amount of gift aid provided to incoming MS1s, a substantial amount of gift aid scholarships are also reserved for MS2-MS4 students.

are lectures mandatory? recorded?

Members don't see this ad :)
are lectures mandatory? recorded?
Large group lectures are optional and recorded. We have weekly classes with required attendance (clinical epidemiology, patient centered care, social health systems, case-based learning, micro/anatomy/pathology lab, patient presentations, etc.)

It varies by block but I'd say that we usually have 3-4 days per week with at least 1 mandatory in-person class.

I work for UNC SOM and am listening in on their annual staff summit right now. Not sure whether this has been advertised by them much, but they said they're increasing their class size this year!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I work for UNC SOM and am listening on their annual staff summit right now. Not sure whether this has been advertised by them much, but they said they're increasing their class size this year!
What will it be? I have heard it for a while - glad it is happening!

I work for UNC SOM and am listening on their annual staff summit right now. Not sure whether this has been advertised by them much, but they said they're increasing their class size this year!
Yeah they announced that back in 2018 with the new building plans and have been growing since then. Class sizes used to be about 180 and now they're closer to 200.

II received! IS, submitted 8/12 but my committee letter was in 8/26. Best of luck to everyone, I’m super excited and relieved!

II last night! IS, ORM, complete 8/18

Complete on 7/23 ORM IS 518 No news from UNC. Is it over at UNC for me?

Is anyone out there with an interview this week? Is this the first group?

Last edited:
I'm OOS but went to grad school at UNC. Complete 9/1. II received 9/8. Was not expecting a II, but now I'm hoping for an interview invite. Good luck to everyone!

• Hmm
I'm OOS but went to grad school at UNC. Complete 9/1. II received 9/8. Was not expecting a II, but now I'm hoping for an interview invite. Good luck to everyone!
II means interview invite, not secondary. I believe UNC sends a secondary to everyone who applies.

Is anyone out there with an interview this week? Is this the first group?
did anyone find out the answer to this?
First interviews were 9/15. Application review is ongoing, so everyone who has not heard still has as much of a chance as anyone. As someone previously mentioned, the interviews include a traditional interview, MMI stations, and group stations. Please be mindful though that current students and applicants who have already interviewed have agreed not to give more detailed information in order to keep the interview process fair for everyone. I know that's a frustrating answer and I hated getting it when I was in your place, but we don't have much of a say in it :/

Reactions: 2 users
First interviews were 9/15. Application review is ongoing, so everyone who has not heard still has as much of a chance as anyone. As someone previously mentioned, the interviews include a traditional interview, MMI stations, and group stations. Please be mindful though that current students and applicants who have already interviewed have agreed not to give more detailed information in order to keep the interview process fair for everyone. I know that's a frustrating answer and I hated getting it when I was in your place, but we don't have much of a say in it :/
Thank you so much for this info! Would you by chance know anything about the review process for reapplicants?

Thank you so much for this info! Would you by chance know anything about the review process for reapplicants?
I'm not on adcomm, so I don't really. I've helped with various parts of the interviews before, so I know how the evaluations for those work, but we've been told we're not allowed to discuss how applicants are scored/evaluated.

Thank you for being such a great resource in this thread! So even if we submitted early (like July 👀) and haven't heard back yet, we still have a shot? Sorry if this question requires you to repeat yourself but UNC is my #1 school and I've been praying for an II. I originally assumed that they reviewed everyone who submitted their secondaries by the same deadline (i.e., those whose deadlines were 7/26 vs. 8/2), sent IIs for each group, and rejected the rest.

Thank you for being such a great resource in this thread! So even if we submitted early (like July 👀) and haven't heard back yet, we still have a shot? Sorry if this question requires you to repeat yourself but UNC is my #1 school and I've been praying for an II. I originally assumed that they reviewed everyone who submitted their secondaries by the same deadline (i.e., those whose deadlines were 7/26 vs. 8/2), sent IIs for each group, and rejected the rest.
Absolutely you still have a shot. My understanding (and again this is not fact bc I'm not on adcomm) is most likely they review each day and divide apps into 3 piles, not 2. The first very small group gets early IIs. The second very small group ends up on the rejection list. The majority are in the middle. And I think they consider that middle group later in the cycle once they've received most/all the apps (like in the next week or two since the deadline is today right?) and decide which of them to offer more IIs because it takes a little more work to differentiate everyone in the middle and decide who should get one. And I want to be clear that just because you didn't get the first II does NOT mean you don't have just as good a shot of getting in. We don't admit everyone who interviews early. We don't reject everyone who interviews later. Most of us are in the middle (I for sure was). But yes, until you receive a rejection, you are still a contender. Hang in there, y'all! I'm in the same waiting period for residency interviews, so I know how you feel rn :)

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
II means interview invite, not secondary. I believe UNC sends a secondary to everyone who applies.
Oh, I misspoke then because I was referring to getting a secondary, not an interview invite. My bad. Guess an interview invite is still a reach then