2023-2024 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Showcase invite received 10/9, application complete 8/13

Members don't see this ad.

showcase invite 10/28 for Nov 16!

Reactions: 1 users
Showcase Invite received 10/28, complete 7/22.
Can someone who has done their showcase say what the experience was like? I was confused is the staff session 1 on 1 and the student session in a small group? If the staff session is 1 on 1 did y'all ask questions about the staff member too or keep everything focused on just the school? Did you all have enough questions to fill an hour?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Showcase Invite received 10/28, complete 7/22.
Can someone who has done their showcase say what the experience was like? I was confused is the staff session 1 on 1 and the student session in a small group? If the staff session is 1 on 1 did y'all ask questions about the staff member too or keep everything focused on just the school? Did you all have enough questions to fill an hour?

They are both group Q&As and we are not evaluated. Which is great because you can literally ask anything and everyone was very honest last year. Def enough questions to fill an hour bc there’s multiple candidates in the room.

Does anyone know if we have to fulfill all 11 of the competencies or is it only 9? Also I forgot which class I said I was going to take before matriculation...does anyone know how to access your checklist?

For those waiting to hear back, they said they hope to finish first round of reviews (for giving out showcase invites) on 12/15.

this is for acceptances?

No this is for them considering who to send showcase invites (doesn’t mean 12/15 is the last date to get invites either I don’t think but they hope to have results ready then) A tiny amount of As will start in Jan (the best of the best that they are certain about), but other than that they hope to have everything earlier than last year (mid-late March is when most people heard back)

So is it possible to receive an A from this school without a showcase invite since its not a traditional interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Showcase invite received
Complete 9/3

So is it possible to receive an A from this school without a showcase invite since its not a traditional interview?
No, the showcase invite is analogous to an interview invite, you can only get an A if you've been invited

Got the Showcase invite, complete 9/7. Anyone know their post-showcase acceptance rate/if class size is still 64?

Got the Showcase invite, complete 9/7. Anyone know their post-showcase acceptance rate/if class size is still 64?

Last year they said they don’t plan on increasing the class size anytime soon. I would guess they invite probably 300 (10% of apps) for a class of 64, with some WL movement, but they never said exactly what the A rate is

At the BMES conference last month, I talked with representatives from Carle and they briefly explained how showcase invites work. They score each applicant and set a threshold score such that applicants with a score above that threshold get a showcase invite. Over time, they will start lowering this threshold such that more and more people are invited. I'm assuming that they will do this until 10% of the applicants are given a showcase invite. I do not know how they do a final review of applicants after everyone has had a showcase invite since it isn't exactly an interview. Maybe they do a brief application review to send showcase invites and do a more in-depth review on showcase invited applicants to send acceptances, but this is just my assumption.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like I fit perfectly into this schools mission like please send showcase invite <3

At the BMES conference last month, I talked with representatives from Carle and they briefly explained how showcase invites work. They score each applicant and set a threshold score such that applicants with a score above that threshold get a showcase invite. Over time, they will start lowering this threshold such that more and more people are invited. I'm assuming that they will do this until 10% of the applicants are given a showcase invite. I do not know how they do a final review of applicants after everyone has had a showcase invite since it isn't exactly an interview. Maybe they do a brief application review to send showcase invites and do a more in-depth review on showcase invited applicants to send acceptances, but this is just my assumption.
To build off of this, one of my friends who had a showcase invitation said that the faculty said that when evaluating for showcase invites they are blind to stats, and only consider writing and secondaries for the showcase invite, and then look at stats for acceptances. I haven’t had my faculty showcase yet so I can’t confirm but that’s what he was telling me.

Yeah they told us this at the showcase invite. They said they offer about 300 invites to people who are above their threshold but only offer about 70-80 seats or so. They also did say that they are blind to stats but I think they use stats when narrowing down who to give an offer of acceptance to

Yeah they told us this at the showcase invite. They said they offer about 300 invites to people who are above their threshold but only offer about 70-80 seats or so. They also did say that they are blind to stats but I think they use stats when narrowing down who to give an offer of acceptance to
To build off of this, one of my friends who had a showcase invitation said that the faculty said that when evaluating for showcase invites they are blind to stats, and only consider writing and secondaries for the showcase invite, and then look at stats for acceptances. I haven’t had my faculty showcase yet so I can’t confirm but that’s what he was telling me.
Seems interesting. My faculty showcase is tomorrow, so I didn't know that they told everyone this lol. I'm curious how they use stats to narrow down the applicants invited to the showcase since they have a really broad range of accepted MCAT scores and GPAs. Maybe they also look back at the video essay.

Really glad they are being transparent and sharing all this info this year. That 25% post-showcase rate tho…

Wow they only send 70-80 acceptances? That is a really high yield (75-85%). Considering there are 59 seats, I figured it would be closer to 120 acceptances

Wow they only send 70-80 acceptances? That is a really high yield (75-85%). Considering there are 59 seats, I figured it would be closer to 120 acceptances
They said they give very few more than the class size and then they choose a decent amount from the waitlist

OOS showcase, was complete last week of august

Is Carle done with showcase invites? Wondering if they have multiple showcases and if no invite now means that it is time to look elsewhere

Is Carle done with showcase invites? Wondering if they have multiple showcases and if no invite now means that it is time to look elsewhere

I got a showcase invite late December last year. They said they plan to finish meetings for first round of reviews around 12/15, so they haven’t even seen everyone’s app yet. Previously there were even years where they gave out showcase invites in January. It’s def not too late yet.

Current students or admitted students: I understand that Carle doesn't accept updates, but so much has changed for me personally. Should I send one anyway? Or can I send a letter of "continued interest?" I want to get on the radar some how.

Current students or admitted students: I understand that Carle doesn't accept updates, but so much has changed for me personally. Should I send one anyway? Or can I send a letter of "continued interest?" I want to get on the radar some how.

You might be able to email them to clarify, but I’m pretty sure they don’t allow any updates after the secondary for “fairness,” including post-showcase candidates
IMG_9791.png

You might be able to email them to clarify, but I’m pretty sure they don’t allow any updates after the secondary for “fairness,” including post-showcase candidates View attachment 379132
Yeah, I saw that, and I see that most schools have similar messaging around updates. However, everybody I've talked to who got in (to any school) seems to think I would be stupid for not sending continued interest letters. I feel it is kind of pushy, but I was just curious if anyone defied these guidelines with success.

any thoughts on the showcase dress code for the staff session?
Im definetly not wearing a suit. Im probably gonna wear a button down with a quarter zip over it (that's what I wear to work so why not) but I think even a polo is fine

Im definetly not wearing a suit. Im probably gonna wear a button down with a quarter zip over it (that's what I wear to work so why not) but I think even a polo is fine
I wore a hoodie I don’t think it’s that deep

OOS showcase invite today! reapplicant, was rejected last year

• Love
During my faculty showcase, I remember that they said acceptances would be given out sometime in February. Did anyone else's faculty showcase say a specific date for acceptances?

OOS showcase invite received on 12/1. Complete 8/29 (+ app extension due to getting COVID). LM 69. First "II" so I'm pretty stoked!

During my faculty showcase, I remember that they said acceptances would be given out sometime in February. Did anyone else's faculty showcase say a specific date for acceptances?

No specific date, I don’t think they have one. I think their acceptances have been released differently every year

January for their best candidates, probably around February-March for the rest

Going to my showcase tomorrow!
Are they going to be grading my questions and my professionalism?
Are there any questions anyone wanted to ask but forgot to, that I can ask for them and post here?

Are there any questions anyone wanted to ask but forgot to, that I can ask for them and post here?

No grading or evaluation at all! Enjoy your time :)

No evaluation of anything! Does not matter if you dress informally or formally, or speak at all. Its basically an info session.

If you have the time, I'd appreciate if you could ask about the following:

1. Are there opportunities to do CLINICAL research? Does Carle provide the support to put students in contact with Clinical research mentors?

2. Does Carle still offer the Global Community Immersion Program during the Discovery Learning period at the end of Year 1? ie the program to go abroad

The website link seems to be broken: https://medicine.illinois.edu/academics/global-community-immersion-program

Thank you!

Showcase invite now 12/6 complete mid July, LM 73 !

Have other peoples been in person? I’m confused because it’s sounding like it’s virtual