2023-2024 Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @burreanbito for sharing this year's questions.

2023-2024 Wisconsin Secondary Prompts
**Please note that those claiming WI residency cannot submit until August 25th. Prioritize accordingly.**

1. The Admissions Committee is committed to holistic, mission-aligned evaluation of all applicants. Review our institution’s mission. Using specific examples, discuss how and why you believe you are a good fit for the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. (500 words max.)
2. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values of UWSMPH and crucial to the education of tomorrow’s physicians. Reflect on how you would embody these values in your education or practice. (250 words max.)
3. Integrity, accountability, and compassion are UWSMPH core values. Pick one of these and reflect on your lived experience with it. (250 words max.)
4. Many inequities exist at the intersection between health outcomes and historical, societal, economic, or other systemic factors. Choose a broader issue or policy that impacts health outcomes where you believe change is needed to advance health equity. Discuss the role you hope to play as a physician in addressing this issue. (250 words max.)
5. (OPTIONAL) If germane to your overall application, please share in a brief paragraph how COVID-19 impacted your application in any of the following domains:

• Academic
  • Volunteer
  • Research
  • Work
  • Personal Life
Topics to address might include the public health lessons and health care insights learned from the pandemic, creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis, or any hardships (economic, health, or other) you faced due to the virus or its mitigation efforts (e.g. social distancing, quarantine). (250 words max.)
There's also a standard reapplicant essay.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
Current M3. Happy to answer any questions you may have about school, life in Madison, and what I can recall from the application process. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,
Current M3. Happy to answer any questions you may have about school, life in Madison, and what I can recall from the application process. Good luck!
Hi, I applied in 2023 cycle and was waitlisted, I don't think I was able to get off the waitlist so I will reapply. I am IS, my rank is 24. After the interview, I realized UW Madison is definately my number one choice, I love this school so much and I will do everything to improve my application.
So I have question of application process, Christ told us that when they make the decision, they will give everyone score based on our application (GPA, MCAT, activities..), and people with the highest score will be considered first. My question is does all activities hours count toward the score? Including non-clinical activities? Also, I guess activity hours are important as well, right?
thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I applied in 2023 cycle and was waitlisted, I don't think I was able to get off the waitlist so I will reapply. I am IS, my rank is 24. After the interview, I realized UW Madison is definately my number one choice, I love this school so much and I will do everything to improve my application.
So I have question of application process, Christ told us that when they make the decision, they will give everyone score based on our application (GPA, MCAT, activities..), and people with the highest score will be considered first. My question is does all activities hours count toward the score? Including non-clinical activities? Also, I guess activity hours are important as well, right?
thank you so much!
Only the admissions committee knows exactly how the applicant score is calculated- I'm fairly certain that information isn't made publicly available. One of the fantastic things about UWSMPH is that they offer all applicants a post-cycle application feedback meeting. Having gone through that process myself, I strongly encourage you to take them up on that offer as they will provide you with individualized, actionable feedback that will be hard to come by elsewhere.

M3 WARM student here happy to also answer any questions about the school and the WARM program.

M3 WARM student here happy to also answer any questions about the school and the WARM program.
Do you know a lot of OOS students? I'm considering applying but I'm not from Wisconsin or any neighboring state and wondering if it is worth writing the secondary.

I was looking on MSAR and noticed that even though there's very significant in-state preference, MCAT and GPAs are higher for in-state accepted students than out of state. Do they tend to weigh stats more highly for in-state applicants? I guess they must based on that data but I'm curious if anyone has knowledge of what that looks like in practice

Please clarify, I am applying this year to UWSMPH as in state. I read on SDN in another old blog that in-state students are allowed to submit secondaries later in the August. I did not find any information related to this on UWSMPH website.

Last edited:
Please clarify, I am applying this year to UWSMPH as in state. I read on SDN in another old blog that in-state students are allowed to submit secondaries later in the August. I did not find any information related to this on UWSMPH website.

OOS are able to submit their secondaries earlier but IS have to wait mid Aug to submit due state residency verification. You can still fill out your secondary, it just won’t let you submit it till the mid Aug. I submitted mine once it hit midnight.

Hey, could you drop a quick summary of what WARM is?

Here is a link to the WARM program. In short summary, WARM is aimed towards students with an interest in practicing primary care in rural parts of Wisconsin. They accept ~25 students IS students and surrounding states such as IL, MN, & MI. As for curriculum, pre-clinical for both regular and WARM MD is done at main campus together. WARM students will only do their core clerkship rotations at UWSMPH statewide campus (Baycare/Bellin-Green Bay, Marshfield Clinic-Marshfield, Gunderson Health-La Crosse, & Aurora St Luke’s-Milwaukee). Regular MD do the vast majority of their core clerkships rotation at UW Health and are required to rotated at the statewide campus. From what I understand, even though WARM focuses on primary care, there is no binding contract for students and they are not required to apply into any primary care specialty.

Please feel free to correct me or add more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Here is a link to the WARM program. In short summary, WARM is aimed towards students with an interest in practicing primary care in rural parts of Wisconsin. They accept ~25 students IS students and surrounding states such as IL, MN, & MI. As for curriculum, pre-clinical for both regular and WARM MD is done at main campus together. WARM students will only do their core clerkship rotations at UWSMPH statewide campus (Baycare/Bellin-Green Bay, Marshfield Clinic-Marshfield, Gunderson Health-La Crosse, & Aurora St Luke’s-Milwaukee). Regular MD do the vast majority of their core clerkships rotation at UW Health and are required to rotated at the statewide campus. From what I understand, even though WARM focuses on primary care, there is no binding contract for students and they are not required to apply into any primary care specialty.

Please feel free to correct me or add more.
I was aware of the Green Bay, Marshfield and La Crosse locations, but not Milwaukee. Can you confirm if Aurora St. Luke's is a regional site for the WARM program as I have not seen it listed? Thank you so much.

I was aware of the Green Bay, Marshfield and La Crosse locations, but not Milwaukee. Can you confirm if Aurora St. Luke's is a regional site for the WARM program as I have not seen it listed? Thank you so much.
I think you’re right that Aurora St Luke’s isn’t a regional site for WARM. Aurora St Luke’s is the regional site for TRIUMPH students and will do all of their core clerkship rotations there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each class is comprised of approximately 176 students.

26 WARM students
16 Triumph students
~134 Tradition MD students

All students complete Phase 1 (pre-clinicals) together in Madison.

UW-SMPH has partnerships with 7 health systems for clinical rotations.
UW-Health, Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) & UnityPoint - Meriter (Madison metro area)
Aurora/St Luke's (Milwaukee)
Marshfield Clinic (Marshfield, Wausau/Weston, Eau Claire)
Gundersen Health System (LaCrosse)
Aurora BayCare (Green Bay)

There are partnerships with other systems but those listed above are the major ones.

WARM students have a separate primary application. They are assigned their regional sites in the spring of 1st year. They complete Phase 2 & 3 predominately at their statewide sites.
-Marshfield Clinic 10 students/class
-Gundersen 10 students/class
-Aurora BayCare 6 students/class

Students interested in TRIUMPH complete the regular MD application. Interested students enroll in the traditional class and applications for TRIUMPH open in the winter of first year. These 16 students will be based with Aurora/St Lukes in Milwaukee for Phase 2 & 3.

Traditional students will complete the majority of their core clerkships of Phase 2 with the three hospital systems in the Madison metro area (~45 mile radius) Every traditional students is required to do one Phase 2 block (12 weeks) at a statewide site outside the Madison metro area (see list above). Housing is provided by the school. Exceptions are made for those with young children, dependent adults, etc, to remain in Madison for all rotations.

Approximately 70% of the class is made up of IS students and with 30% being OOS. WARM is open to WI residents and surrounding states, as mentioned above. TRIUMPH is open to both IS and OOS students.

Current M2 here who was an OOS applicant (East coast). Happy to answer any questions the M3s haven't covered yet!

thank you so much!
Not sure exactly how the scores are made either, but I know that UW values significant clinical experience. And yes, definitely reach out for application feedback

Last edited:
I was looking on MSAR and noticed that even though there's very significant in-state preference, MCAT and GPAs are higher for in-state accepted students than out of state. Do they tend to weigh stats more highly for in-state applicants? I guess they must based on that data but I'm curious if anyone has knowledge of what that looks like in practice
Not entirely sure why this is. But Madison/Wisconsin is not a very diverse place, and the school tries to create a diverse class.

OOS received
+1

1. The Admissions Committee is committed to holistic, mission-aligned evaluation of all applicants. Review our institution’s mission. Using specific examples, discuss how and why you believe you are a good fit for the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. (500 words max.)

2. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values of UWSMPH and crucial to the education of tomorrow’s physicians. Reflect on how you would embody these values in your education or practice. (250 words max.)

3. Integrity, accountability, and compassion are UWSMPH core values. Pick one of these and reflect on your lived experience with it. (250 words max.)

4. Many inequities exist at the intersection between health outcomes and historical, societal, economic, or other systemic factors. Choose a broader issue or policy that impacts health outcomes where you believe change is needed to advance health equity. Discuss the role you hope to play as a physician in addressing this issue. (250 words max.)

5. (OPTIONAL) If germane to your overall application, please share in a brief paragraph how COVID-19 impacted your application in any of the following domains:
  • Academic
  • Volunteer
  • Research
  • Work
  • Personal Life
Topics to address might include the public health lessons and health care insights learned from the pandemic, creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis, or any hardships (economic, health, or other) you faced due to the virus or its mitigation efforts (e.g. social distancing, quarantine). (250 words max.)

There's also a standard reapplicant essay.
@wysdoc

Last edited:
If I am in-state, I cannot apply until August 25th based on their statement
IF YOU ARE CLAIMING WISCONSIN RESIDENCY, THE FIRST DAY YOU CAN SUBMIT YOUR SECONDARY APPLICATION IS AUGUST 25.

??

IF YOU ARE CLAIMING WISCONSIN RESIDENCY, THE FIRST DAY YOU CAN SUBMIT YOUR SECONDARY APPLICATION IS AUGUST 25.

??
Oh, that's interesting. I wonder why they do that.

??

Don’t worry about that, makes it easier to take your time with filling out your secondary. It won’t effect when you will get an II compared to a OOS. I submitted my secondary the moment it hit midnight and I received an II the second week of October and I believe I was in the second or third round of interviews. They start sending II at the end of September and beginning of October. Also if you look at previous threads, OOS applicants seems to gets pre-II rejection pretty early due to UWSMPH has a IS bias (70% IS & 30% OSS).

Anyone else have MCAT score not recieved on status page?

??
It has to do with a weird Wisconsin law that UWSMPH is obligated to follow, being a state school. It won't affect your application or chances of interviewing. They do this every year btw

Are any other OOS reapplicants unable to submit their application because of the "Residency Application" section? Whenever I try to complete this it just states "cannot resubmit a previously completed Residency Application" and then doesn't get marked as complete, so I can't submit it. If anyone has tips let me know, I can call UWSMPH on Monday but was hoping to submit it ASAP since I'm done with the rest of it :(

Reactions: 1 users
Are any other OOS reapplicants unable to submit their application because of the "Residency Application" section? Whenever I try to complete this it just states "cannot resubmit a previously completed Residency Application" and then doesn't get marked as complete, so I can't submit it. If anyone has tips let me know, I can call UWSMPH on Monday but was hoping to submit it ASAP since I'm done with the rest of it :(
Also running into this issue! OOS reapplicant as well. Was planning on calling them tomorrow too.

Log out and log in again. Worked for me and was able to submit

At what point we need to upload writing intensive essay?

What do you mean? I didn’t upload any intensive essay when I applied for the last cycle. I believe they just want transcripts of your writing intensive essay and if it doesn’t fit their requirement, they will ask you for more information regarding it.

What do you mean? I didn’t upload any intensive essay when I applied for the last cycle. I believe they just want transcripts of your writing intensive essay and if it doesn’t fit their requirement, they will ask you for more information regarding it.
Thanks for your quick response, sorry can you elaborate on "I believe they just want transcripts of your writing intensive essay"? Atre you saying the grade that shows up on transcript as a course? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks for your quick response, sorry can you elaborate on "I believe they just want transcripts of your writing intensive essay"? Atre you saying the grade that shows up on transcript as a course? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

It’s their pre requisite requirement and yeah they check your final transcripts to see if you have one.

IMG_0220.png

Has anyone e-mailed them regarding the missing mcat score issue?
This is from their Twitter and they are aware of it.
IMG_0219.png

Did you figure out this issue? It is also happening to me

Integrity, accountability, and compassion are UWSMPH core values. Pick one of these and reflect on your lived experience with it. (250 words max.)

how are you going about answering this, are you using a specific scenario? maybe from a past prompt?

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I'm a first time OOS applicant, so I am NOT filling out the residency application, but the website keeps indicating that I have to fill it out before I can submit my secondary. Anyone else OOS experiencing this??
Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 5.15.30 PM.png

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I'm a first time OOS applicant, so I am NOT filling out the residency application, but the website keeps indicating that I have to fill it out before I can submit my secondary. Anyone else OOS experiencing this??View attachment 374841
you click to begin the survey and there’s a choice for OOS/non-resident

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I'm a first time OOS applicant, so I am NOT filling out the residency application, but the website keeps indicating that I have to fill it out before I can submit my secondary. Anyone else OOS experiencing this??View attachment 374841

Click on the link and fill out the form and indicate you are OOS. Then you'll be able to submit!