2023-2024 North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
at my interview they gave a very non answer. they said "what we have on the website is our policy, but yes, we are rolling" sooooo idk
They may (and hopefully) reevaluated their policy on notification. It looks like they’ve been updating their website. I just found this under the FAQs. I remember when they told us December, they brought us to an admissions webpage that reinforced that point. That page is also shown in the next post. If no one hears back next week, then we can assume the December policy still holds true.

IMG_2807.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have interviewed, is the traditional interview a group one too? Or is that just for the MMI

They may (and hopefully) reevaluated their policy on notification. It looks like they’ve been updating their website. I just found this under the FAQs. I remember when they told us December, they brought us to an admissions webpage that reinforced that point. That page is also shown in the next post. If no one hears back next week, then we can assume the December policy still holds true.

View attachment 377613
Is it now safe to assume that we will have to wait till December for an update on our status?

Reactions: 1 user
Any previous year WL applicants hear back?

Tragically I have not. But I also submitted everything later this year than last year so im half expecting not to hear until next month tbh. Somewhat comforting that none of the other WLs from last year have heard anything though.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI to those applying/interviewing this cycle from a current UNC MS1:
Look up the attendance policy.
⛳Those on the panel have been told to avoid revealing the attendance policy when interviewees ask.
⛳The attendance policy is extremely strict, and they make no exceptions for extenuating circumstances (disability, funerals, etc.)
I've attached the posted attendance policy for the new curriculum at UNC SOM. But here is an excerpt for convenience:

"Excused half days are intended to allow a student to miss scheduled class time for illness, delay of transportation (such as car breakdowns), family emergencies, urgent medical care (i.e., not 2 routine doctor’s appointments) or other similar needs. Students are not required to submit documentation, doctors’ notes, or other justification for taking an excused half day.
• Students are allotted four excused half days per semester for unplanned health/wellbeing needs or personal/family matters.
• A half day is defined as 8 AM to 1 PM or 12 PM to 5 PM.
• If a student takes time away from class that spans the morning and afternoon (e.g., 10 AM – 3 PM), the use of two excused half days is required.
• A student cannot take more than two half days during any course (including 6-week medical sciences courses, the semester-long Patient Centered Care (PCC) course, and the semester-long Social and Health Systems (SHS) course).
• A student cannot take a half day during an exam or major assignment in any course or during resource-intensive sessions such as patient encounters and labs. The only exception to this rule is for Peer Accelerated Learning (PALS) quizzes, which may be made up if they are missed during an excused half day.
• Half days do not carry over to the next semester.
• Half days cannot be taken the day before or after a university holiday."

"Students with approved religious observance accommodations will not need to deduct excused half days from their semester allotment."

"OMSE has the discretion to grant additional excused days for extenuating circumstances and/or to engage students in discussion of longer leaves as needed."

Attachments

• TEC-2.0-Attendance-and-Personal-Leave-Policy-Rev-09.25.2023 (1).pdf
    196.2 KB · Views: 64
What is the general student consensus regarding the attendance policy? How does this policy apply to tardiness vs an absence?

Is there student representation on the education committee that instituted the policy? Any talks of reevaluating the policy if students feel it is too restrictive? I can see how allowing one day off per course for an excused absence and a total of two days off per semester for an excused absence is very limiting, especially because life happens. There is a mechanism in the policy to take more days off if needed (illness is a great example). How have these requests been received?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I've attached the posted attendance policy for the new curriculum at UNC SOM. But here is an excerpt for convenience:

"Excused half days are intended to allow a student to miss scheduled class time for illness, delay of transportation (such as car breakdowns), family emergencies, urgent medical care (i.e., not 2 routine doctor’s appointments) or other similar needs. Students are not required to submit documentation, doctors’ notes, or other justification for taking an excused half day.
• Students are allotted four excused half days per semester for unplanned health/wellbeing needs or personal/family matters.
• A half day is defined as 8 AM to 1 PM or 12 PM to 5 PM.
• If a student takes time away from class that spans the morning and afternoon (e.g., 10 AM – 3 PM), the use of two excused half days is required.
• A student cannot take more than two half days during any course (including 6-week medical sciences courses, the semester-long Patient Centered Care (PCC) course, and the semester-long Social and Health Systems (SHS) course).
• A student cannot take a half day during an exam or major assignment in any course or during resource-intensive sessions such as patient encounters and labs. The only exception to this rule is for Peer Accelerated Learning (PALS) quizzes, which may be made up if they are missed during an excused half day.
• Half days do not carry over to the next semester.
• Half days cannot be taken the day before or after a university holiday."

"Students with approved religious observance accommodations will not need to deduct excused half days from their semester allotment."

"OMSE has the discretion to grant additional excused days for extenuating circumstances and/or to engage students in discussion of longer leaves as needed."
woah

What is the general student consensus regarding the attendance policy? How does this policy apply to tardiness vs an absence?

Is there student representation on the education committee that instituted the policy? Any talks of reevaluating the policy if students feel it is too restrictive? I can see how allowing one day off per course for an excused absence and a total of two days off per semester for an excused absence is very limiting, especially because life happens. There is a mechanism in the policy to take more days off if needed (illness is a great example). How have these requests been received?
also in a world where most places are moving towards very optional lectures

OOS II today! LM 77 519 4.0 GPA. Secondary completed 7/22. Out of my mind excited! Any advice to stay calm on interview day?

• Love
sept interview folks, are we just accepting that we have to wait til December?

Any advice or resources to prepare for group interviews? I don’t really even know what they entail…

Current MS1. The policy is extremely strict. You are required to go to every single lecture and small group session. You get 4 half days so if you have something in the morning and the afternoon and miss that whole day, you're already down half of your "days-off" for the entire semester. This has made it much more difficult to shadow and begin research experiences. The admin has taken feedback from us but has yet to do anything yet other than say they are "forming a committee". They have tried to sell our new lectures as a "flipped classroom" however, it is not. While there are poll questions during our lectures it has not been beneficial for quite a few of us. You will be on campus M-F until at least noon every day. On other days you will be there until 3-5 pm. As much as some of us have voiced for lectures to be optional, it does not seem like that will happen. There have also been some other things that the administration has done that have made me question how they are running a T25 school. With all of that being said, I have had an overall positive experience thus far with awesome classmates and experiences. Just make sure you are aware of what you are getting yourself into!
Thank you so much for that insight. Do you mind elaborating on some of the other things?

Any II yesterday or the past week? It seems IS II comes out on Fridays usually.

OOS II this morning! Had honestly given up on this one.
LM 72, complete mid-August

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
IS II!! Reapp, completed mid-Aug. SO EXCITED

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 30, Dec 4, and Dec 7 were open for interviewing!

As a waitlister from last year who submitted in mid-august - have not heard a peep. lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! I’ve got an interview here on Monday (SUPER PUMPED), but I’m not finding much information about the timing and setting of each interview. Does anyone know how long the traditional interview is? How many MMI stations - how long is each station? How long is the group interview? Finally, how to access our interviews on interview day? Hopefully these questions don’t go beyond the privacy of UNC’s interview day, I just want to be prepared. Thank you!

Hey everyone! I’ve got an interview here on Monday (SUPER PUMPED), but I’m not finding much information about the timing and setting of each interview. Does anyone know how long the traditional interview is? How many MMI stations - how long is each station? How long is the group interview? Finally, how to access our interviews on interview day? Hopefully these questions don’t go beyond the privacy of UNC’s interview day, I just want to be prepared. Thank you!
you should have received an email a week prior to your scheduled interview. it has a time schedule listed w/ the zoom link

you should have received an email a week prior to your scheduled interview. it has a time schedule listed w/ the zoom link
Thank you! So on the emailed schedule, there is a timeline for two rounds of interviews, but it’s ambiguous as to when and how long each type of interview is. I’d love to know (if it’s possible) how long each type of interview (group, traditional, and MMI) is and potentially how many MMI stations there are? Thanks again!

Thank you! So on the emailed schedule, there is a timeline for two rounds of interviews, but it’s ambiguous as to when and how long each type of interview is. I’d love to know (if it’s possible) how long each type of interview (group, traditional, and MMI) is and potentially how many MMI stations there are? Thanks again!

You get that info day of and I think that's intentional so everyone has had the same time to prepare!