-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 UT San Antonio (Long)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
medguy0824
Full Member
congrats when did u submit?IS II just now 😎
Late July and submitted an update late Octobercongrats when did u submit?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS II today, LM 74 complete 5/31
curlingcat305
New Member
Just completed the interview day at Long SOM today and wow! I have never had such a positive experience interviewing at a school. From the interview invite letter to the actual interview with faculty and students, they were so friendly and welcoming. Both my interviewers were so easy to talk to and encouraging about the work I've put in to get to the interview stage. If this is representative of what it's like to attend Long, I can't wait to hear back from them. Fingers crossed!
Submitted primary 6/20, update letter sent 11/16, IS II 11/28, interview 12/15
Submitted primary 6/20, update letter sent 11/16, IS II 11/28, interview 12/15
cats_and_dogs
Full Member
I agree with @curlingcat305. It was a wonderful experience, and LSOM should pride themselves on an excellent interview process and making students feel at ease. Thank you to Dr. K and the A-team!
Long was one of the best people interviews I had.
Just prematched, about to cry LM 75 interviewed 10/13
txpremed7781
New Member
prematched! interviewed 9/29
biomannnn007
New Member
Prematched! Interviewed 10/13. Such a huge weight off my shoulders!
TexasGuy12
Full Member
Prematched! Interviewed 10/13. Such a huge weight off my shoulders!
prematched! interviewed 9/29
Through email or phone calls?Just prematched, about to cry LM 75 interviewed 10/13
txpremed7781
New Member
got mine through emailThrough email or phone calls?
emordnilap
New Member
Prematched! Interviewed 9/15.
txpremed1234
Full Member
prematched through email! interviewed 10/13. not sure yet if I'd go over mcgovern because my grandma could use the extra help with me living close to her in houston, but feeling so lucky!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mindresolve
Full Member
Is this the first or second prematch wave? Cuz it seems like its only been sept/oct interview dates
PREMATCHED!! in disbelief right now
biomannnn007
New Member
Through email or phone calls?
There have been other rounds - this is at least the 3rd round.Is this the first or second prematch wave? Cuz it seems like its only been sept/oct interview dates
D
deleted1122679
Any prematches for any December folks? 👀
D
deleted1122679
CorrectPrematched today via email, interviewed mid November :') just making sure, accepting the prematch offer is nonbinding and I can still rank schools higher on match day, correct?
Prematched! super excited
Congratulations to the prematches and (hopefully!) future Long SoM peers! If you have questions about MS1 or anything else, reach out to me via DM or ask me here. We just finished our first semester so I definitely wouldn’t mind helping out with any questions you might have.
Just prematched!! Interviewed 10/20, this is so exciting 😀
Did you just get the email?Just prematched!! Interviewed 10/20, this is so exciting 😀
I got it around 12:30 CST, sorryDid you just get the email?
bananacreampie
Full Member
OOS A yesterday! Interviewed 11/9
So excited, first acceptance as a reapplicant :')
So excited, first acceptance as a reapplicant :')
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1122679
In the post-interview survey, it appears that the 12th, 16th, 19th, and 26th of January are all still available for interviews. So wouldn’t be too shocked if there are still some invites to go outare they still sending out invites? or tx schools in general? i'm oos
Dr. Ruby 2023
Full Member
anyone hear back from MSTP today?
Does this school give a lot of prematch offers?
As per their website they “are NOT Pre-Match offer heavy so most offers will be during the Match.”Does this school give a lot of prematch offers?
Interview Process | Long School of Medicine
Very fewDoes this school give a lot of prematch offers?
Accepted OOS (STX-MSTP) today! Interviewed 12/14
GodFirst07
Full Member
Quick turnaround, congratulations!
Thank you! Was expecting to hear in February at the earliest but got the call on the way back from work today, super excited about the programQuick turnaround, congratulations!
Last edited:
If you have questions, I can help! I’m an MS1 that just finished my first semester and I’d love to share my knowledge! You can send me a DM or ask here - whichever is best for you!Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out how to rank my school and I was hoping to crowdsource some information about the school. I know the curriculum is Honors, High Pass, Pass, and Fail. What are some other things that you guys have picked up?
I'm an MS4 here (and an interviewer!), happy to answer any questions.Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out how to rank my school and I was hoping to crowdsource some information about the school. I know the curriculum is Honors, High Pass, Pass, and Fail. What are some other things that you guys have picked up?
D
deleted1169665
@Hartroc @kit10 How do y'all feel about Long in general? Any big pros or cons stick out to you, especially in comparison to what you know about other Texas medical schools? Do you like the pre-clinical/clinical grading scheme? (and any details on grading you could give would be appreciated) When/for what is attendance mandatory? Internal ranking/AOA? How do you feel about the opportunities and resources at Long (clinical and non-clinical volunteering, research, rotation sites/quality, mental and physical health resources, financial aid/scholarships, professors, simulations, career guidance/mentorship)? How do you feel about living in San Antonio/life outside of medical school?
@Hartroc @kit10 How do y'all feel about Long in general? Any big pros or cons stick out to you, especially in comparison to what you know about other Texas medical schools? Do you like the pre-clinical/clinical grading scheme? (and any details on grading you could give would be appreciated) When/for what is attendance mandatory? Internal ranking/AOA? How do you feel about the opportunities and resources at Long (clinical and non-clinical volunteering, research, rotation sites/quality, mental and physical health resources, financial aid/scholarships, professors, simulations, career guidance/mentorship)? How do you feel about living in San Antonio/life outside of medical school?
Great questions! I'll share my thoughts:
1. I like Long! When I reflect on what I've learned, I realize how much it is. I know what physical exams to do for certain conditions, I know a lot about anatomy (shoutout to Dr. Rahimi and Dr. O for being my all time favorite teachers!), and I know a lot about pathology. I genuinely cannot imagine myself elsewhere. I'm happy, which I think is big!
2. Pros: Something for everyone, big city but small feel, good housing that is fairly priced, passionate teachers, knowledgeable teachers, genuine interest in you doing well, lots of opportunities to explore interests and medical fields, it's a big school where you have a hospital right down the hall, lots of students that aren't medical student (they have a dental school, nursing school, etc.), cost is low and there are plenty of scholarship opportunities, staff at all levels care about you as a person as well as a student, no cap on the number of students who can honor
In between: Grading, cannot review tests after you take them, 7-8 minute walk from Lot 3 parking to lecture hall
Cons: I feel a car is a necessity for San Antonio, they accidentally oversold parking which can be annoying some days (if it's 10 AM means you'll probably have to park in Lot 5 which is about a 15-minute walk to the lecture hall), sometimes there are moments where the onus is placed on the student versus the school to find out information/opportunities but I think this is because they want to make sure you are doing what you want to do because YOU want to do it and not because they want you to do it
3. I don't mind it. My classmates and I do NOT compete against each other -- in fact, the greatest support network at my school in terms of learning is definitely my peers. We have a Google Drive where we share notes, anki decks, and really uplift each other. One guy in our class brings cakes before and after big exams. Grading is F/P/HP/H, and one thing I wish I had known beforehand was how that worked out.
F = 69.99 and below
P = 70 to 84.99 (equivalent to a B with 3.00 for GPA)
HP = 85 to 89.99 (equivalent to a B+ with 3.50 for GPA)
H = 90+ (equivalent to an A with 4.00 for GPA)
If you fail a class or have to remediate, then you get a Remediate Pass once you complete the course which is a 2.00 for GPA.
I want to also point out that you cannot review your big tests, aka the ones where you sit down in the auditorium to take that aren't the weekly quizzes. I always liked learning from my mistakes, so I wish I had known that beforehand instead of getting caught by surprise. It's a "meh" point for me - neither good nor bad.
Your first semester is the busiest (or at least that's what I've been told!) because you have three classes going on at once. After that, you have one class and then the occasional clinical skills. Each class has a different GPA weight, and surprisingly the smallest one is your anatomy course at a value of 5.4 hours/weight while clinical skills (much easier class and most get honors!) has a weight of 14ish. Don't feel bad if you get Passes in your first few classes. Don't feel bad if your first test doesn't go your way. No matter where you go, medical school is hard especially in that first semester. It's important to go somewhere they care and can help you get the resources you need to make it. For example, inanatomy, there were opportunities for students to get extra help on the material through lecture content reviews and lab review sessions.
4. Mandatory classes depend on the class! For the first semester, we had to attend 12/15 lectures at a minimum, and those were mostly just group activities. The required ones are marked in the schedule. You're required to go to histo (generally on Thursdays) and an additional class called synthesis (every Friday). These were great chances to hang out with my classmates. Other lectures are not required. You're not required to go to anatomy lecture, but you are required to go to the anatomy lab which for the most part is on Monday and Thursday afternoons. I will not have anatomy again until spring of my 2nd year where we focus on arms/legs. Our first semester we covered head/chest/trunk in anatomy. Dr. O and Dr. Rahimi are amazing lecturers and I recommend going to anatomy lecture if you want. Both of them want you to succeed!
5. I can't speak much about AOA or internal ranking at this time so I will review our handbook and ask around to see what information is available.
6/7. There are a ton of opportunities at Long and San Antonio, which makes sense since it is the 7th largest city in the nation. From free clinics to mentorship, there's something for everyone. I have a 2 bed/2 bath in a nice part of town for $1600/month. I found that I was able to still engage with my hobbies even during this first semester, and I really look forward to the opportunities I'll have to continue engaging with them in the upcoming semester. I had my choice when it came to medical schools, and I feel I made the right call. I have great friends, I feel happy, and I also (most important!) feel quite optimistic about the future.
As always, though, it is what you make of it which will be true no matter where you go. I put some energy in and I got good things out. Your first semester probably shouldn't be grinding ECs -- it should be about getting your feet under you! Take things at your own pace, but don't forget that medicine is a people business. It's important to do more than go from your home to the library and then home again at the end of the day. My class had 240 people in it, and I assume the class of 2028 will have a similar number. You have plenty of opportunities to carve out your place and find people to be friends with. Your classmates, both older peers and those in your class, are your greatest allies.
It's been just a few months, and I feel like I've grown and learned so much. I have had a great time at Long SOM and I do recommend it! Lmk if you have further questions. These are just my first pass thoughts.
@kit10 thank you so much for all this information! It’s insightful and valuable for someone deciding how to rank their schools. Appreciate the time you put into typing this out 🙂
D
deleted1169665
Wow, thank you so much! This is great infoGreat questions! I'll share my thoughts:
1. I like Long! When I reflect on what I've learned, I realize how much it is. I know what physical exams to do for certain conditions, I know a lot about anatomy (shoutout to Dr. Rahimi and Dr. O for being my all time favorite teachers!), and I know a lot about pathology. I genuinely cannot imagine myself elsewhere. I'm happy, which I think is big!
2. Pros: Something for everyone, big city but small feel, good housing that is fairly priced, passionate teachers, knowledgeable teachers, genuine interest in you doing well, lots of opportunities to explore interests and medical fields, it's a big school where you have a hospital right down the hall, lots of students that aren't medical student (they have a dental school, nursing school, etc.), cost is low and there are plenty of scholarship opportunities, staff at all levels care about you as a person as well as a student, no cap on the number of students who can honor
In between: Grading, cannot review tests after you take them, 7-8 minute walk from Lot 3 parking to lecture hall
Cons: I feel a car is a necessity for San Antonio, they accidentally oversold parking which can be annoying some days (if it's 10 AM means you'll probably have to park in Lot 5 which is about a 15-minute walk to the lecture hall), sometimes there are moments where the onus is placed on the student versus the school to find out information/opportunities but I think this is because they want to make sure you are doing what you want to do because YOU want to do it and not because they want you to do it
3. I don't mind it. My classmates and I do NOT compete against each other -- in fact, the greatest support network at my school in terms of learning is definitely my peers. We have a Google Drive where we share notes, anki decks, and really uplift each other. One guy in our class brings cakes before and after big exams. Grading is F/P/HP/H, and one thing I wish I had known beforehand was how that worked out.
F = 69.99 and below
P = 70 to 84.99 (equivalent to a B with 3.00 for GPA)
HP = 85 to 89.99 (equivalent to a B+ with 3.50 for GPA)
H = 90+ (equivalent to an A with 4.00 for GPA)
If you fail a class or have to remediate, then you get a Remediate Pass once you complete the course which is a 2.00 for GPA.
I want to also point out that you cannot review your big tests, aka the ones where you sit down in the auditorium to take that aren't the weekly quizzes. I always liked learning from my mistakes, so I wish I had known that beforehand instead of getting caught by surprise. It's a "meh" point for me - neither good nor bad.
Your first semester is the busiest (or at least that's what I've been told!) because you have three classes going on at once. After that, you have one class and then the occasional clinical skills. Each class has a different GPA weight, and surprisingly the smallest one is your anatomy course at a value of 5.4 hours/weight while clinical skills (much easier class and most get honors!) has a weight of 14ish. Don't feel bad if you get Passes in your first few classes. Don't feel bad if your first test doesn't go your way. No matter where you go, medical school is hard especially in that first semester. It's important to go somewhere they care and can help you get the resources you need to make it. For example, inanatomy, there were opportunities for students to get extra help on the material through lecture content reviews and lab review sessions.
4. Mandatory classes depend on the class! For the first semester, we had to attend 12/15 lectures at a minimum, and those were mostly just group activities. The required ones are marked in the schedule. You're required to go to histo (generally on Thursdays) and an additional class called synthesis (every Friday). These were great chances to hang out with my classmates. Other lectures are not required. You're not required to go to anatomy lecture, but you are required to go to the anatomy lab which for the most part is on Monday and Thursday afternoons. I will not have anatomy again until spring of my 2nd year where we focus on arms/legs. Our first semester we covered head/chest/trunk in anatomy. Dr. O and Dr. Rahimi are amazing lecturers and I recommend going to anatomy lecture if you want. Both of them want you to succeed!
5. I can't speak much about AOA or internal ranking at this time so I will review our handbook and ask around to see what information is available.
6/7. There are a ton of opportunities at Long and San Antonio, which makes sense since it is the 7th largest city in the nation. From free clinics to mentorship, there's something for everyone. I have a 2 bed/2 bath in a nice part of town for $1600/month. I found that I was able to still engage with my hobbies even during this first semester, and I really look forward to the opportunities I'll have to continue engaging with them in the upcoming semester. I had my choice when it came to medical schools, and I feel I made the right call. I have great friends, I feel happy, and I also (most important!) feel quite optimistic about the future.
As always, though, it is what you make of it which will be true no matter where you go. I put some energy in and I got good things out. Your first semester probably shouldn't be grinding ECs -- it should be about getting your feet under you! Take things at your own pace, but don't forget that medicine is a people business. It's important to do more than go from your home to the library and then home again at the end of the day. My class had 240 people in it, and I assume the class of 2028 will have a similar number. You have plenty of opportunities to carve out your place and find people to be friends with. Your classmates, both older peers and those in your class, are your greatest allies.
It's been just a few months, and I feel like I've grown and learned so much. I have had a great time at Long SOM and I do recommend it! Lmk if you have further questions. These are just my first pass thoughts.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Great questions! I'll share my thoughts:
1. I like Long! When I reflect on what I've learned, I realize how much it is. I know what physical exams to do for certain conditions, I know a lot about anatomy (shoutout to Dr. Rahimi and Dr. O for being my all time favorite teachers!), and I know a lot about pathology. I genuinely cannot imagine myself elsewhere. I'm happy, which I think is big!
2. Pros: Something for everyone, big city but small feel, good housing that is fairly priced, passionate teachers, knowledgeable teachers, genuine interest in you doing well, lots of opportunities to explore interests and medical fields, it's a big school where you have a hospital right down the hall, lots of students that aren't medical student (they have a dental school, nursing school, etc.), cost is low and there are plenty of scholarship opportunities, staff at all levels care about you as a person as well as a student, no cap on the number of students who can honor
In between: Grading, cannot review tests after you take them, 7-8 minute walk from Lot 3 parking to lecture hall
Cons: I feel a car is a necessity for San Antonio, they accidentally oversold parking which can be annoying some days (if it's 10 AM means you'll probably have to park in Lot 5 which is about a 15-minute walk to the lecture hall), sometimes there are moments where the onus is placed on the student versus the school to find out information/opportunities but I think this is because they want to make sure you are doing what you want to do because YOU want to do it and not because they want you to do it
3. I don't mind it. My classmates and I do NOT compete against each other -- in fact, the greatest support network at my school in terms of learning is definitely my peers. We have a Google Drive where we share notes, anki decks, and really uplift each other. One guy in our class brings cakes before and after big exams. Grading is F/P/HP/H, and one thing I wish I had known beforehand was how that worked out.
F = 69.99 and below
P = 70 to 84.99 (equivalent to a B with 3.00 for GPA)
HP = 85 to 89.99 (equivalent to a B+ with 3.50 for GPA)
H = 90+ (equivalent to an A with 4.00 for GPA)
If you fail a class or have to remediate, then you get a Remediate Pass once you complete the course which is a 2.00 for GPA.
I want to also point out that you cannot review your big tests, aka the ones where you sit down in the auditorium to take that aren't the weekly quizzes. I always liked learning from my mistakes, so I wish I had known that beforehand instead of getting caught by surprise. It's a "meh" point for me - neither good nor bad.
Your first semester is the busiest (or at least that's what I've been told!) because you have three classes going on at once. After that, you have one class and then the occasional clinical skills. Each class has a different GPA weight, and surprisingly the smallest one is your anatomy course at a value of 5.4 hours/weight while clinical skills (much easier class and most get honors!) has a weight of 14ish. Don't feel bad if you get Passes in your first few classes. Don't feel bad if your first test doesn't go your way. No matter where you go, medical school is hard especially in that first semester. It's important to go somewhere they care and can help you get the resources you need to make it. For example, inanatomy, there were opportunities for students to get extra help on the material through lecture content reviews and lab review sessions.
4. Mandatory classes depend on the class! For the first semester, we had to attend 12/15 lectures at a minimum, and those were mostly just group activities. The required ones are marked in the schedule. You're required to go to histo (generally on Thursdays) and an additional class called synthesis (every Friday). These were great chances to hang out with my classmates. Other lectures are not required. You're not required to go to anatomy lecture, but you are required to go to the anatomy lab which for the most part is on Monday and Thursday afternoons. I will not have anatomy again until spring of my 2nd year where we focus on arms/legs. Our first semester we covered head/chest/trunk in anatomy. Dr. O and Dr. Rahimi are amazing lecturers and I recommend going to anatomy lecture if you want. Both of them want you to succeed!
5. I can't speak much about AOA or internal ranking at this time so I will review our handbook and ask around to see what information is available.
6/7. There are a ton of opportunities at Long and San Antonio, which makes sense since it is the 7th largest city in the nation. From free clinics to mentorship, there's something for everyone. I have a 2 bed/2 bath in a nice part of town for $1600/month. I found that I was able to still engage with my hobbies even during this first semester, and I really look forward to the opportunities I'll have to continue engaging with them in the upcoming semester. I had my choice when it came to medical schools, and I feel I made the right call. I have great friends, I feel happy, and I also (most important!) feel quite optimistic about the future.
As always, though, it is what you make of it which will be true no matter where you go. I put some energy in and I got good things out. Your first semester probably shouldn't be grinding ECs -- it should be about getting your feet under you! Take things at your own pace, but don't forget that medicine is a people business. It's important to do more than go from your home to the library and then home again at the end of the day. My class had 240 people in it, and I assume the class of 2028 will have a similar number. You have plenty of opportunities to carve out your place and find people to be friends with. Your classmates, both older peers and those in your class, are your greatest allies.
It's been just a few months, and I feel like I've grown and learned so much. I have had a great time at Long SOM and I do recommend it! Lmk if you have further questions. These are just my first pass thoughts.
@kit10 I also want to thank you for taking the time to share this information with us. How frequently do you have clinical skills classes (weekly, bimonthly..?)
It depends! Clinical skills is my favorite class. Sometimes it is weekly, but during finals week and the week before finals there isn’t any. You’re given an entire dead week to prepare for tests which is awesome. All the classes and teachers are very considerate of it.@kit10 I also want to thank you for taking the time to share this information with us. How frequently do you have clinical skills classes (weekly, bimonthly..?)
You start in August getting CPR certified and work through various body systems and exams until just before Thanksgiving for your first OSCE. Before the clinical skills session for the week, you take an unlimited attempt quiz. They have practice sessions, allow you to reserve rooms to practice, and more.
Starting in October, you have to meet with an assigned attending nearly every month where you work with actual patients. It’s part of the clinical skills class. There’s shadowing and hands on patient encounters built into the class which I think is a real plus. I really like my attending!
It depends! Clinical skills is my favorite class. Sometimes it is weekly, but during finals week and the week before finals there isn’t any. You’re given an entire dead week to prepare for tests which is awesome. All the classes and teachers are very considerate of it.
You start in August getting CPR certified and work through various body systems and exams until just before Thanksgiving for your first OSCE. Before the clinical skills session for the week, you take an unlimited attempt quiz. They have practice sessions, allow you to reserve rooms to practice, and more.
Starting in October, you have to meet with an assigned attending nearly every month where you work with actual patients. It’s part of the clinical skills class. There’s shadowing and hands on patient encounters built into the class which I think is a real plus. I really like my attending!
That’s awesome that sometimes they’re weekly. I have a feeling it’s also going to be my favorite class. Looking forward to it!
glossygirl
New Member
Do you guys know what most people wore to the luncheon? I'm currently overthinking what semi-causal means lol
Similar threads
- Replies
- 234
- Views
- 77K