2024-2025 East Virginia (EVMS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2024-2025 East Virginia (EVMS) Secondary Essay Prompts (2000 character limit each):

Questions 1 through 5 are REQUIRED
1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.
2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician?
3. What do you think you will like least about being a physician?
4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.
5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.
6.(optional) EVMS is dedicated to inclusivity and supporting patients and students from diverse backgrounds. Feel free to share your personal experience or ties to communities from diverse backgrounds. Please explain in detail if you wish to respond. Some examples include but are not limited to race/ethnicity, culture, LGBTQ+, differently-abled/disabled, etc. (optional)
7.(optional) If you would like to discuss how race has personally affected your life, through discrimination, inspiration or otherwise, feel free to share your experiences, obstacles overcome, and how this impacted your education and road to applying to medical school. (optional)

Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS secondary received
(The questions are the same as the last cycle)
2000 character limit:
1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.
2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician?
3. What do you think you will like least about being a physician?
4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.
5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.
6. EVMS is dedicated to inclusivity and supporting patients and students from diverse backgrounds. Feel free to share your personal experience or ties to communities from diverse backgrounds. Please explain in detail if you wish to respond. Some examples include but are not limited to race/ethnicity, culture, LGBTQ+, differently-abled/disabled, etc. (optional)
7. If you would like to discuss how race has personally affected your life, through discrimination, inspiration or otherwise, feel free to share your experiences, obstacles overcome, and how this impacted your education and road to applying to medical school. (optional)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received anything yet? Still waiting lol.
EVMS holistically screens applicants prior to sending secondaries. It can take a couple weeks before people get theirs.

Reactions: 1 users
EVMS holistically screens applicants prior to sending secondaries. It can take a couple weeks before people get theirs.

As an IS applicant with a 511 and Q1 CASPer I’m really hoping to get some love from EVMS 😭

Reactions: 1 user
+1 OOS
All have a 2000 character limit.

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.

What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

What do you think you will like least about being a physician?
Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.

Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.

EVMS is dedicated to inclusivity and supporting patients and students from diverse backgrounds. Feel free to share your personal experience or ties to communities from diverse backgrounds. Please explain in detail if you wish to respond. Some examples include but are not limited to race/ethnicity, culture, LGBTQ+, differently-abled/disabled, etc. (Optional)

If you would like to discuss how race has personally affected your life, through discrimination, inspiration or otherwise, feel free to share your experiences, obstacles overcome, and how this impacted your education and road to applying to medical school. (Optional)

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering that EVMS screens applicants to a certain extent, how big of a deal is receiving a secondary from this school?

Didn’t expect to get an secondary as an OOS applicant. Anyone have any idea or anecdotes on the likelihood that I would receive an interview if I filled a secondary? Trying to prioritize my secondaries rn.

Didn’t expect to get an secondary as an OOS applicant. Anyone have any idea or anecdotes on the likelihood that I would receive an interview if I filled a secondary? Trying to prioritize my secondaries rn.
In my opinion, I think you will have a good chance of getting an interview invite but once you're waitlisted.. that's another story.. I know a lot of people complain about how this school selects students in order to "satisfy pre-determined silos related to gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and race".

Last edited:
  • Wow
In my opinion, I think you will have a good chance of getting an interview invite but once you're waitlisted.. that's another story.. I know a lot of people complain about how this school selects students in order to satisfy pre-determined silos related to gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and race.
Source ? I havn't heard that before

Source ? I havn't heard that before
Hmm I don't really have a source.. I think it's something I heard from previous applicants and students who attend the school. Although I don't know if it's 100% true or not, it kind of makes sense to me seeing how some students who are high tier on the waitlist didn't get in while those on mid-tier did... but I really don't know haha just an observation and possible rumor so don't quote me on anything 😅

How good should I be feeling about receiving a secondary here? Do they screen heavily or is it not that deep lol. Really needing a win at this point in the cycle, I'm drowning in essays haha

How good should I be feeling about receiving a secondary here? Do they screen heavily or is it not that deep lol. Really needing a win at this point in the cycle, I'm drowning in essays haha
Considering that EVMS screens applicants to a certain extent, how big of a deal is receiving a secondary from this school?
They screen more heavily than most schools, but i think >50% of applicants (maybe 2/3rds?) still get a secondary. Generally from what I've seen EVMS looks for a GPA >3.5 and a decent MCAT, although they are holistic in their screening so they're not hard cutoffs.

Anyone with more insight please correct me if im wrong :)

I have a question - I think I made a mistake by not selecting multiple prerequisite courses per section (for example, I only put 1 Biology class for the Biology lecture prereq). I cannot change it now. I emailed them and asked if the intention was for us to select multiple and the response I received was: "You may need to contact AAMC directly if you need information regarding this inquiry"... I think this was probably an automatic response, as I don't think contacting AAMC is appropriate for this? Could someone who has not submitted yet please confirm we were supposed to check multiple courses per lecture/lab section? Thank you.

UPDATE: Got through to someone and the issue is resolved.

Last edited:
I have a question - I think I made a mistake by not selecting multiple prerequisite courses per section (for example, I only put 1 Biology class for the Biology lecture prereq). I cannot change it now. I emailed them and asked if the intention was for us to select multiple and the response I received was: "You may need to contact AAMC directly if you need information regarding this inquiry"... I think this was probably an automatic response, as I don't think contacting AAMC is appropriate for this? Could someone who has not submitted yet please confirm we were supposed to check multiple courses per lecture/lab section? Thank you.

You are required to have completed or plan to complete a year of lecture and lab of the following courses: Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics. AP and CLEP credits are acceptable. The biology requirement includes, but is not limited to, lectures and labs taken within a biology department, including microbiology, physiology, anatomy and genetics. If you are not sure which course will suffice for a prerequisite course, please contact the MD Admissions Office for assistance.

NOTE: You may ONLY substitute BIOCHEMISTRY with a LAB component for ORGANIC CHEMISTRY with a LAB, if you are substituting Organic Chemistry with a Biochemistry course. A Biochemisty course without a lab component will not fulfill the full requirement.

*WE DO NOT ACCEPT INDEPENDENT STUDY AND/OR RESEARCH COURSES IN PLACE OF PREREQUISITE COURSES.*

*For combined lecture and lab courses, you may list these courses in both the lecture and lab sections when adding your courses.

I don't see anything in the paragraph about needing to add more then what is required.

I'm sorry this happened to you :/ sounds annoying and stressful. Yeah this is an automatic response, I don't think AAMC has anything to do with this. I'd try calling and emailing again. Since the prompt said that they require "1 year of lecture and lab of the following courses..." your single class submission likely does not meet their requirement. Like your singular Biology class is not enough for a year of bio (which is their requirement) so this section needs to be edited somehow on your part. Hope it all works out!

So many questions :( I wish I prewrote for this school haha

I cant click on submit for some reason

Nvm I am an idiot

Last edited:
My biology and gen chem classes had combined lectures and labs. I just added the same courses to the lectures and labs pre req categories. Is this what other ppl in my situation did as well?

My biology and gen chem classes had combined lectures and labs. I just added the same courses to the lectures and labs pre req categories. Is this what other ppl in my situation did as well?
yeah thats what the instructions said too

On the prerequisites tab it says:
You are required to have completed or plan to complete a year of lecture and lab of the following courses: Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics. AP and CLEP credits are acceptable. The biology requirement includes, but is not limited to, lectures and labs taken within a biology department, including microbiology, physiology, anatomy and genetics. If you are not sure which course will suffice for a prerequisite course, please contact the MD Admissions Office for assistance.

Does this mean I should include my upper level bio courses as well under the Biology Lecture section? This would be on top of my general bio courses.

Hey! Around when did IIs start coming in?
I am not affiliated with the adcom so I am not sure. I received my II in November of the year I applied, was waitlisted ~2 months later (IS high tier), and accepted in early May.

Current student, AMA. I'm not on the adcom tho
Hey hey! Have you come across any good opportunities for first year students? I am looking into primary care and would like to start any outreach programs (especially relating to opioid abuse) and was wondering if there were any not on the website.

Reactions: 1 users
Just received application complete email as well. It says you will not be notified unless you get an interview until April.

Hey hey! Have you come across any good opportunities for first year students? I am looking into primary care and would like to start any outreach programs (especially relating to opioid abuse) and was wondering if there were any not on the website.
I believe there is a CEL related to opioid abuse, but I am not aware of anything not on the website. I'm sure there's stuff out there though! There's also a Street Health CEL that works with patients experiencing homelessness and who might need assistance with substance use.

As an aside, my personal experience has been that EVMS's curriculum does not have a lot of mandatory BS and unlike at some schools, nobody is going to force you to use huge blocks of time to do research (depending on who you are that's either a pro or a con). In other words, you'll have a lot of flexibility to use your time as you see fit. If you want to pour your heart and soul into outreach for opioid abuse you can certainly do so at EVMS.