You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 Miami (Miller)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
bleepbloop123
Full Member
I was accepted this morning!! yay!! If we plan on going but aren't 100% sure yet do we fill out the letter of intent accepting form or do we have to wait on that/is it binding?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats!!! when did you interview?OOS WL to A this morning too!
bardsleftnut
New Member
what time was WL to A email for those that got one
Anyone accepted off the waitlist hear anything about financial aid/scholarships yet or have a general idea of how long it takes Miami to send it out after an acceptance?
I submitted a letter of intent so didn’t get the call about interest, just an acceptance email around 11am!Are they calling you guys in the morning too or just email?
I hope not, I still have yet to get an A...
smallworldafterall
New Member
From my critical analysis and reasoning skills of the cycle, the Accepted group chat is at 193, and MSAR shows that the last cycle class was at 235 with 152 IS 83 OOS. Chat, we are not cooked just yet. Lock in.Y'all think Miami still has more As to send or are they done with their cycle?
bardsleftnut
New Member
they over accepted last year. they aim for 200 every year and not everybody has joined the GroupMe. some MS1s are in the GroupMe as wellFrom my critical analysis and reasoning skills of the cycle, the Accepted group chat is at 193, and MSAR shows that the last cycle class was at 235 with 152 IS 83 OOS. Chat, we are not cooked just yet. Lock in.
hmm so they're probably finished if not very close to finishedthey over accepted last year. they aim for 200 every year and not everybody has joined the GroupMe. some MS1s are in the GroupMe as well
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
premedguy101
Full Member
In that case, I'll be back to follow next year's thread 🫡
How long they give you to confirm the spot from waitlist?Withdrawing my A from WL - Hopefully one of you gets the spot 😊
9 days to submit Letter of Intent form - Also, their CTE deadline is May 15thHow long they give you to confirm the spot from waitlist?
FlaptavianBird
Full Member
Did anyone else on the WL send an update to their email and not get any confirmation from them?
prettypickles
Full Member
Guys! IT’S NOT OVER YET!! I JUST GOT THE A!!
Congrats! Do they call or email?Guys! IT’S NOT OVER YET!! I JUST GOT THE A!!
prettypickles
Full Member
Call for interest, then email.Congrats! Do they call or email?
Does anyone have any info about the letter of intent? This is different from the CTE, correct? I just want to wait until i get a financial aid notice before I make my decision, but this letter of intent is due in 2 days? Lmk if anyone has any info. Thanks!!! Feeling so so grateful
seaweedbrain
Full Member
letter of intent basically just confirms you want to hold a spot and isn't binding like CTE. CTE is due 5/15 but they're giving out extensions until 5/30 for those who askCall for interest, then email.
Does anyone have any info about the letter of intent? This is different from the CTE, correct? I just want to wait until i get a financial aid notice before I make my decision, but this letter of intent is due in 2 days? Lmk if anyone has any info. Thanks!!! Feeling so so grateful
strawberrygirl10
Full Member
Do you need to state a reason or are they chill with giving out the extension? Just hoping to remain on some other waitlists a little longerletter of intent basically just confirms you want to hold a spot and isn't binding like CTE. CTE is due 5/15 but they're giving out extensions until 5/30 for those who ask
COngrats!!! OOS? when did you interview?Guys! IT’S NOT OVER YET!! I JUST GOT THE A!!
prettypickles
Full Member
IS, interviewed early MarchCOngrats!!! OOS? when did you interview?
Congrats! Did they call you before the email?IS A this morning!!!
_m31_
Full Member
No, just emailCongrats! Did they call you before the email?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
heyyydoc777
Full Member
Has anybody here gotten accepted after the CTE date?
multiple people on here have reported As after April 30thHas anybody here gotten accepted after the CTE date?
CTE is may 15 for miamimultiple people on here have reported As after April 30th
premedguy101
Full Member
Withdrew from the WL. I wish everyone on the WL the best of luck! Keep your hopes up
detailgranola_
New Member
Are they still accepting students off the waitlist?
I would think twice before going to any program such as Miami that has pre-clinical grading. Hopefully you got in somewhere which has pre-clinical P/F.Yah I think they’re done as well ☹️. In past threads movement was done by about this time… expecting an R soon. Sucks cuz I could’ve seen myself going here
Agape_ornis
Full Member
Miller has pre-clinical P/F. It just has quartiles.I would think twice before going to any program such as Miami that has pre-clinical grading. Hopefully you got in somewhere which has pre-clinical P/F.
Quartiles means you are ranked in pre-clinical stage.Miller has pre-clinical P/F. It just has quartiles.
Agape_ornis
Full Member
I read the handbook. Our grades are reported as pass/fail. In phase 1 which is preclinical only contributes 20% to quartile. I already talked to students and they said quartiles are not something to be concerned too much.Quartiles means you are ranked in pre-clinical stage.
Do you know what is a MSPE? If not, please read about it.I read the handbook. Our grades are reported as pass/fail. In phase 1 which is preclinical only contributes 20% to quartile. I already talked to students and they said quartiles are not something to be concerned too much.
If you want to pursue a less competitive residency, it’s not a big deal. But if you are hoping to pursue a competitive specialty in a top academic medical center, every little thing matters and you have to be in the first quartile in the pre-clinical phase to maximize your odds.
As you can guess, the quartile ranking is a double edged sword. It offers an advantage to those that finish in the top quartile compared to students from purely P/F pre-clinical medical school. Those that don’t make it to the top quartile are at a disadvantage.
Last edited:
smallworldafterall
New Member
🙁
As an actual UMiami student I'm going to pop in to offer my 2 cents. Yes, there are quartiles, that's true, but here's some important grains of salt:Do you know what is a MSPE? If not, please read about it.
If you want to pursue a less competitive residency, it’s not a big deal. But if you are hoping to pursue a competitive specialty in a top academic medical center, every little thing matters and you have to be in the first quartile in the pre-clinical phase to maximize your odds.
As you can guess, the quartile ranking is a double edged sword. It offers an advantage to those that finish in the top quartile compared to students from purely P/F pre-clinical medical school. Those that don’t make it to the top quartile are at a disadvantage.
1. The biggest determinant of quartile rankings at Miami is not pre-clinical. Yes, it's 20%, which is something, but the vast majority lies in clinical (70%). So there's that. And at least in preclinical, since exams are relatively chill and straight forward it's challenging to score that much higher than the median consistently. I would not make yourself that stressed about getting a 100% on every exam, just do your best towards prepping for rotations and STEP, because that's what matters.
2. In the grand scheme of things, quartiles don't matter all that much. From talking with M4's who matched, quartiles are more or less one of those "nice to have" things, not a "must have." Frankly speaking, nobody will care about the difference between first and second quartile, it's negligible. The more important things are, and always will be, clinical rotations (our are grades H/HP/P/F), away rotations/networking/letters, STEP 2 and research. Frankly, I'd put quartiles on the importance list down there with AMA and GHSS — again, something nice to have, but I would not give up on your derm/ophtho/whatever dreams because you're not 1st quartile after M1.
3. We match well in everything. I don't know the specific breakdowns but at least in DR and IR (my top choice specialties) we had people match in from all 4 quartiles.
When you are trying to match derm/ophtho, everything matters including preclinical. Even if the exam scores range is narrow as you say, they will still divide that range into quartiles. It might not matter a whole lot, but I would much rather go to a true pre-clinical P/F medical school unless its ranking is far below another school that has pre-clinical quartiles/other student ranking.As an actual UMiami student I'm going to pop in to offer my 2 cents. Yes, there are quartiles, that's true, but here's some important grains of salt:
1. The biggest determinant of quartile rankings at Miami is not pre-clinical. Yes, it's 20%, which is something, but the vast majority lies in clinical (70%). So there's that. And at least in preclinical, since exams are relatively chill and straight forward it's challenging to score that much higher than the median consistently. I would not make yourself that stressed about getting a 100% on every exam, just do your best towards prepping for rotations and STEP, because that's what matters.
2. In the grand scheme of things, quartiles don't matter all that much. From talking with M4's who matched, quartiles are more or less one of those "nice to have" things, not a "must have." Frankly speaking, nobody will care about the difference between first and second quartile, it's negligible. The more important things are, and always will be, clinical rotations (our are grades H/HP/P/F), away rotations/networking/letters, STEP 2 and research. Frankly, I'd put quartiles on the importance list down there with AMA and GHSS — again, something nice to have, but I would not give up on your derm/ophtho/whatever dreams because you're not 1st quartile after M1.
3. We match well in everything. I don't know the specific breakdowns but at least in DR and IR (my top choice specialties) we had people match in from all 4 quartiles.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sure, but the vast majority of people aren't trying to go for derm/ophtho. Even for other "more competitive" specialties (anesthesia, rads, gen surg, etc.) I'd say quartiles don't really matter at all.When you are trying to match derm/ophtho, everything matters including preclinical. Even if the exam scores range is narrow as you say, they will still divide that range into quartiles. It might not matter a whole lot, but I would much rather go to a true pre-clinical P/F medical school unless its ranking is far below another school that has pre-clinical quartiles/other student ranking.
youtreu73494
New Member
A off The WL!!! Can someone send Groupme?
Congrats! IS or OOS? LM score?A off The WL!!! Can someone send Groupme?
youtreu73494
New Member
2 daysHow many days did they give u?
youtreu73494
New Member
OOS 74Congrats! IS or OOS? LM score?