2024-2025 North Carolina - Chapel Hill

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i guess no one reported an A from 9/9 interviews?? maybe they havent reviewed us yettttt
On the previous page, someone reported an A from interviewing on 9/19, so I doubt it. But if you haven't heard anything, it means you are still in consideration. We don't need them to pick us on their first review of our application. We just need to be picked at some point in the cycle in order to get in. So don't be discouraged if you hear of an A from 9/9. It doesn't mean an R for you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FYI, when I got my II it said that interviewing before November 1st means we will find out "by the end of the calendar year" (implying the December release of decisions). I'm very grateful that someone spoke up and asked for clarification on that statement at the end of my interview day. The director of admissions was surprised ("Oh no, does it really say that?") and said that information was wrong.

She clarified that the system they use is having issues this year, and they are back to doing rolling admissions. So we can find out our admissions decisions any time from now to the end of the cycle.
Ugh does this mean if we interview in September it's possible to not hear back until March/April? That would suck
 
At the end of our interview (early October) they said that we would hear anytime from October 15th until the end of the calendar year, and clarified that it would be rolling admissions.
 
At the end of our interview (early October) they said that we would hear anytime from October 15th until the end of the calendar year, and clarified that it would be rolling admissions.

Okay, so it’s now rolling this year but we wont have to wait until March/April if we already interviewed? From what I’ve heard, I’m guessing it will be a mix of last year and rolling. Seems a few decisions have gone out so far but maybe the majority with go out in December rather than all of them coming in December?
 
At the end of our interview (early October) they said that we would hear anytime from October 15th until the end of the calendar year, and clarified that it would be rolling admissions.
My interview was a later in October and the director of admissions very specifically said that we were not guaranteed to get a decision by the end of the calendar year. Someone referenced this page, where it says they will let us know by the end of December. She made a note to herself to change the language on that page (but it has not changed).

On the admissions process page, it says:

"After your interview, the Admissions Committee will meet to review and discuss your application. Applications are under continuous review, which allows for admissions to be made throughout the interview season until the class is filled.

All final decision notifications, including acceptance, wait list, and unsuccessful application, will be sent to applicants by early April."

Which is also inconsistent with the page I linked... Anyway, all I can say is that someone in my interview day specifically asked if we would receive a decision before the end of the calendar year and the director of admissions very clearly said no. However, I think odds are those of us who interviewed before November are much more likely to know before the end of the year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My interview was a later in October and the director of admissions very specifically said that we were not guaranteed to get a decision by the end of the calendar year. Someone referenced this page, where it says they will let us know by the end of December. She made a note to herself to change the language on that page (but it has not changed).

On the admissions process page, it says:

"After your interview, the Admissions Committee will meet to review and discuss your application. Applications are under continuous review, which allows for admissions to be made throughout the interview season until the class is filled.

All final decision notifications, including acceptance, wait list, and unsuccessful application, will be sent to applicants by early April."

Which is also inconsistent with the page I linked... Anyway, all I can say is that someone in my interview day specifically asked if we would receive a decision before the end of the calendar year and the director of admissions very clearly said no. However, I think odds are those of us who interviewed before November are much more likely to know before the end of the year.
That is odd since the application portal itself says, "If you interview prior to November 1, you will get an update on your application by the end of the calendar year."

I wonder why they wouldn't have changed that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tbh not sure how they saw me. Been living in NC for a bit but don’t have a residency number yet.
Woah. Do you mind messaging me your stats? I'm IS and interviewed before you and just trying to gauge how dead my app may be.
 
Yeah I don’t know what system they’re using but it looks like they’re not going completely in order.
 
My interview was a later in October and the director of admissions very specifically said that we were not guaranteed to get a decision by the end of the calendar year. Someone referenced this page, where it says they will let us know by the end of December. She made a note to herself to change the language on that page (but it has not changed).

On the admissions process page, it says:

"After your interview, the Admissions Committee will meet to review and discuss your application. Applications are under continuous review, which allows for admissions to be made throughout the interview season until the class is filled.

All final decision notifications, including acceptance, wait list, and unsuccessful application, will be sent to applicants by early April."

Which is also inconsistent with the page I linked... Anyway, all I can say is that someone in my interview day specifically asked if we would receive a decision before the end of the calendar year and the director of admissions very clearly said no. However, I think odds are those of us who interviewed before November are much more likely to know before the end of the year.
That’s so weird because I interviewed today and the director specifically told us we would hear back by the end of the year. i’m pretty sure she was reading it off that webpage though, like she was checking for herself rather than knowing off the top of her head. it’s weird cause you think she would’ve remembered assuming that it’s the same director of admissions from a few conflicting comments on this forum.
 
If it helps anyone’s anxiety, they are definitely not going fully in order, or they’re at least doubling back. I was complete 9/11, got IS II on 10/14 and interviewed today.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it helps anyone’s anxiety, they are definitely not going fully in order, or they’re at least doubling back. I was complete 9/11, got IS II on 10/14 and interviewed today.
is it likely there's still a chance for IS II for those complete in july? getting really nervous...
 
is it likely there's still a chance for IS II for those complete in july? getting really nervous...
There's always a chance. Hang in there. We are fortunate as applicants that the WORST case scenario is reapplying, which means:
  • You may decide against pursuing medicine, which will spare you from going through many adverse circumstances when you could be happy and impactful doing something else.
  • You may work full-time for one or more years, which, if you are a traditional applicant, will afford you a lot of important experience and allow you to gain more maturity/perspective. It will give you more time to work on any mental or emotional concerns you have. You might meet a great partner if you're currently single and that's something you're looking for. You have time to experience things outside of medicine. You have time to experience life as a post-college adult, and all that that means (learning how to do taxes, etc.) so you can be prepared for it when you start earning income again (and possibly have a lot of debt).
  • Whether you are a traditional applicant or not, gap years give you time to earn money and build up savings for retirement (in the form of buying index funds in a Roth or traditional IRA account) which will accrue interest all throughout your time in med school and residency. People say "oh do you want to lose a year of attending salary" but my investments off my current (<100k) salary will grow to be close to an attending salary at the time of my retirement. And besides, I believe there is a ceiling effect to how much money contributes to your happiness. I know I will almost certainly hit that ceiling with an attending salary + solid nest egg regardless of when in life I start earning that salary.
  • You may be fortunate to not have to work in a gap year, which means you have time to explore and do literally anything you want.
I think anxiety about the future is completely normal, especially in a process like this one that induces neurotic thinking. But I just wanted to share a little bit of my perspective as a non-trad career-changer. Like anyone else, I hope my dreams come true and I get into an amazing school. But it feels more like a nervous excitement about the possibility of getting an awesome Christmas gift or winning the lottery. Our lives will, in all likelihood, be long and fulfilling if we take care of ourselves, regardless of the timeline that we follow to get to medicine (or to decide against it). I hope you are proud of the hard work you have put into your application, and I hope you can find peace in the fact that your life can be everything you ever hoped for regardless of the outcome of this cycle. <3
 
Does anyone have insight on how the interviews are structured? I know it is a MMI but is there a station that is a traditional interview too? Thanks!