MD 516 MCAT & 3.99 GPA | Help with School List!! | WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niko7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am a Junior at my university and will be applying to medical school (MD) this cycle (2018). I would really appreciate any help with my school list! I would love to go to a top tier school and aim to apply to a large number (35+) of schools. I study at the Honors College of a large public university in Arizona and am an Arizona resident, but would prefer to go out of state for medical school. I was born in NYC and have lived / have all of my family in SoCal, if that would help at all. My Top 5 schools would be: Columbia, UCLA, USC, NYU, Georgetown. Any help would be deeply valued. Thank you!!

Ethnicity: Asian (Indian)
Sex: Male
State of Residence: Arizona
cGPA: 3.99
sGPA: 4.00
MCAT: 516 (C/P: 127, CARS: 130, Bio: 130, P/S: 129)
ECs:
200+ hours volunteering as an EMT at my university
500+ hours of research
  • ~350 bench research (completing Honors Thesis on my own project)
  • ~150 clinical (poster accepted for presentation, writing manuscript now)
~80 hours Charity Volunteering
150+ physician shadowing
President of a Bioscience club
Paid Tutor (Chemistry)
Freshman Mentor / Orientation Leader

School List (roughly from reach --> safety)

Stanford
Cornell
Duke
NYU
Columbia University
UCSF
Mt. Sinai
Mayo Clinic AZ
Mayo Clinic MN
Michigan
Baylor
Brown
Dartmouth
Pittsburgh
UCLA
UCSD
USC
Boston University
UC Irvine
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Tufts
Hofstra Northwell
Albert Einstein
Miami
Georgetown
Maryland
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Temple
George Washington
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
UCF
New York Medical College
Creighton
University of Arizona COM – PHOENIX
University of Arizona COM – Tucson

I apologize for the length of this post but would greatly appreciate any help with my list and where/how I should apply. Thanks so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could get into literally any of these potentially. You also don't need to apply to quite so many. I wouldn't go over the high 20's. With your stats you don't need so many redundancies or backups. What you do need to do is cut schools off based on your preferences (like location you mentioned) or seat:applicant ratio. Eg, I'd cut NYMC because your stats are way above and you have plenty of backups and they get ~12,000 applications. Save places that don't have crazy application numbers for backup. Just as a numbers game it may be less likely to get into NYMC than Columbia.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone!

I am a Junior at my university and will be applying to medical school (MD) this cycle (2018). I would really appreciate any help with my school list! I would love to go to a top tier school and aim to apply to a large number (35+) of schools. I study at the Honors College of a large public university in Arizona and am an Arizona resident, but would prefer to go out of state for medical school. I was born in NYC and have lived / have all of my family in SoCal, if that would help at all. My Top 5 schools would be: Columbia, UCLA, USC, NYU, Georgetown. Any help would be deeply valued. Thank you!!

Ethnicity: Asian (Indian)
Sex: Male
State of Residence: Arizona
cGPA: 3.99
sGPA: 4.00
MCAT: 516 (C/P: 127, CARS: 130, Bio: 130, P/S: 129)
ECs:
200+ hours volunteering as an EMT at my university
500+ hours of research
  • ~350 bench research (completing Honors Thesis on my own project)
  • ~150 clinical (poster accepted for presentation, writing manuscript now)
~80 hours Charity Volunteering
150+ physician shadowing
President of a Bioscience club
Paid Tutor (Chemistry)
Freshman Mentor / Orientation Leader

School List (roughly from reach --> safety)

Stanford
Cornell
Duke
NYU
Columbia University
UCSF
Mt. Sinai
Mayo Clinic AZ
Mayo Clinic MN
Michigan
Baylor
Brown
Dartmouth
Pittsburgh
UCLA
UCSD
USC
Boston University
UC Irvine
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Tufts
Hofstra Northwell
Albert Einstein
Miami
Georgetown
Maryland
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Temple
George Washington
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
UCF
New York Medical College
Creighton
University of Arizona COM – PHOENIX
University of Arizona COM – Tucson

I apologize for the length of this post but would greatly appreciate any help with my list and where/how I should apply. Thanks so much!!!

Your stats definitely give you a shot at the top tier schools, but it's good that you're also applying to a decent number of mid tiers. I don't think you need to apply to such a large number of schools though. I'd probably take off schools that will be low yield for you like NYMC which has much lower avg stats

Reactions: 1 user