ARCOM vs UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holyravioli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to map out details comparing these 2 new schools as it looks like it will be one of these for me (and maybe you!):

UIWSOM:
-No on campus housing but low cost of living
-Many hospital affiliations for rotations/possible residency (which they said is being worked on)
-Less of a traditional curriculum: more group learning, blocks of time for self-learning and volunteering/clinical community work (love that they don't want us in a lecture hall from 9-5 with strict multiple choice testing. there will be self-reflections and observations as part of the grading too.)
-Faith based component which seems really useful for acknowledging student well-being in general and helping with future patients
-More expensive tuition but still not sky high I guess

ARCOM:
-On campus housing and low cost of living
-No faith component but they do have self-care worked in to try and help with burnout
-A little more traditional than UIWSOM but there is group learning and teamwork involved
-Hospital clinic is being built on campus which will be nice for students if sick (priority patients) or for rotations/clinical experiences
-Many hospital affiliations for rotations/possible residency (I think they said they are creating 150 new spots in honor of our class for primary care spots)
-Cheaper tuition

Anyone else care to add anything? I'm trying to think of an edge one might have over the other. I don't know if either are pass/fail or the dress code...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to map out details comparing these 2 new schools as it looks like it will be one of these for me (and maybe you!):

UIWSOM:
-No on campus housing but low cost of living
-Many hospital affiliations for rotations/possible residency (which they said is being worked on)
-Less of a traditional curriculum: more group learning, blocks of time for self-learning and volunteering/clinical community work (love that they don't want us in a lecture hall from 9-5 with strict multiple choice testing. there will be self-reflections and observations as part of the grading too.)
-Faith based component which seems really useful for acknowledging student well-being in general and helping with future patients
-More expensive tuition but still not sky high I guess

ARCOM:
-On campus housing and low cost of living
-No faith component but they do have self-care worked in to try and help with burnout
-A little more traditional than UIWSOM but there is group learning and teamwork involved
-Hospital clinic is being built on campus which will be nice for students if sick (priority patients) or for rotations/clinical experiences
-Many hospital affiliations for rotations/possible residency (I think they said they are creating 150 new spots in honor of our class for primary care spots)
-Cheaper tuition

Anyone else care to add anything? I'm trying to think of an edge one might have over the other. I don't know if either are pass/fail or the dress code...
ARCOM will have a business casual dress code and mandatory lecture from 8-5. I'm not sure if UIWSOM is the same, but that's something to consider.

UIWSOM has on-campus housing, loll.

UIWSOM hands-down. You're in Texas!!! Many Arkansas students want to come to Texas for residency, but as a Texas medical student you will have preference for in-state residencies. Huge expansion by the state to add residencies all across the state.

Plus you're in San Antonio, 7th largest city in the u.s. UTSA is nearby for possible networking and research opportunities as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you want to live on campus?? It's usually so overpriced compared to what you can find in the immediate surrounding area.

SOM isn't colocated with the UG. Its a 15-40 min drive, depending on traffic. Also, the SOM students wouldn't be able to live in the UG dorms, so its a moot point.

Have u seen the UIWSOM campus? Just because it's not located next to the UG, doesn't mean it doesn't have its own on-campus housing.

http://www.livethekennedy.com/

This is located DIRECTLY across the street from the main building. It's closer than many on-campus housing facilities.

Reactions: 1 users
UIWSOM has on-campus housing, loll.

UIWSOM hands-down. You're in Texas!!! Many Arkansas students want to come to Texas for residency, but as a Texas medical student you will have preference for in-state residencies. Huge expansion by the state to add residencies all across the state.

Plus you're in San Antonio, 7th largest city in the u.s. UTSA is nearby for possible networking and research opportunities as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Texas > Arkansas.

/ thread seeing as both are new schools

Reactions: 6 users
I enjoyed my visit to ARCOM, but mandatory attendance and a dress code is rough. Not to mention that there is NOTHING around the school. The closest Starbucks is 15 min away.

San Antonio >>> Fort Smith

Have u seen the UIWSOM campus? Just because it's not located next to the UG, doesn't mean it doesn't have its own on-campus housing.

http://www.livethekennedy.com/

This is located DIRECTLY across the street from the main building. It's closer than many on-campus housing facilities.
Oh man, they said nearby but I had no idea it was this close! Thank you so much, this is awesome news, I didn't notice this when I visited.

Why would you want to live on campus?? It's usually so overpriced compared to what you can find in the immediate surrounding area.

I guess I really like the idea of being close to campus if med school will be my mothership for 2 years at least haha. I really didn't like commuting for one of my jobs so since then I've tried reducing it as much as possible.

Oh man, they said nearby but I had no idea it was this close! Thank you so much, this is awesome news, I didn't notice this when I visited.

When I visited at the end of October, I saw green construction material. They were still building and probably still building now but they had a layout on a poster that read The Kennedy Coming 2017 or something. Only downside of living close is rent that is ~$900/month

I was also torn between these two schools but after asking the emergency physicians I work for, they chose UIW for clinical breadth and location (TX-low income tax during residency was mentioned). But they also said go with your gut feeling and where you can imagine yourself studying/living. Most of them said the first two years are studying so not having much around to do isn't too bad...

Soo all in all... back to square 1: it's up to you to make the decision! Either way, you're going to med school!

Oh and during the Q&A, the dean said classes will be P/F at UIW

ARCOM will have a business casual dress code and mandatory lecture from 8-5. I'm not sure if UIWSOM is the same, but that's something to consider.

Not exactly true.
Fudge said that there would be time built in to the day to meet with our team and work on whatever we wanted.
He also said that when it wasn't our team's day to dissect in lab, we would have that (3 hour?) block free.

Members don't see this ad :)
Housing at UIW is a non-issue. Yea, the Kennedy is the MOST expensive at roughly $915 for a 1br. But look what you're getting--- a HUGE apartment, brand new construction, high-end materials. The works. It gets only cheaper from there and you can get a 1br for easily less than $600/ month if you don't mind living somewhere dinky.

If you're from Arkansas and want to be close to home, go to ArCOM. Same for if you're from Texas, go to UIW. But if you're OOS and have no ties to either, I think UIW takes the cake here. I don't see any benefit of ArCOM over UIW.

Not exactly true.
Fudge said that there would be time built in to the day to meet with our team and work on whatever we wanted.
He also said that when it wasn't our team's day to dissect in lab, we would have that (3 hour?) block free.
Seems as if no one is on the same page there. Mandy and Patricia told me it would be 8-5 everyday at least the first 16 weeks through the anatomy block. But they both also told me different things as far as the dress code. Perks of a new school I guess!

If you're from Arkansas and want to be close to home, go to ArCOM. Same for if you're from Texas, go to UIW. But if you're OOS and have no ties to either, I think UIW takes the cake here. I don't see any benefit of ArCOM over UIW.
Its a pointless debate. Both are new DO schools that will receive the same outlook from PDs. One is considerably cheaper. One is in a better city. Other than that, it's a complete wash. Depends on your priorities.

Its a pointless debate. Both are new DO schools that will receive the same outlook from PDs. One is considerably cheaper. One is in a better city. Other than that, it's a complete wash. Depends on your priorities.

The difference is Texas has another 10 MD schools in-state with a public DO school. 8 of the 10 MD schools are DO friendly due to TCOM, accept COMLEX, and actually state they will give preference to Texas medical graduates.

Also, the clinical education at UIW is top of the line. They have affiliated with every hospital in the city, including University hospital where UTSA students rotate at. If one is ambitious enough, they can do research at UTSA as well.

People here undermine the importance of location for a medical school. The bigger the city, the better.

The difference is Texas has another 10 MD schools in-state with a public DO school. 8 of the 10 MD schools are DO friendly due to TCOM, accept COMLEX, and actually state they will give preference to Texas medical graduates.

Also, the clinical education at UIW is top of the line. They have affiliated with every hospital in the city, including University hospital where UTSA students rotate at. If one is ambitious enough, they can do research at UTSA as well.

People here undermine the importance of location for a medical school. The bigger the city, the better.
1) So, you're going to be the ugly step child compared to those other 11 schools? Jk jk

(but seriously....)

2)ARCOM is the only DO school the state of Arkansas completely supports and is massively expanding residency positions for. They are also sharing rotations with the only MD school in the state at all major hospitals in the state with the exception of UAMS' own hospital. Many of these will be ward based rotations shared with the state MD counterparts. Again, your argument is continually matched by this school in Arkansas.

3) The bigger city is great, I 100% agree. But you're arguing that Texas has more residency spots/opportunities because it has more medical schools. What's impressive about that? Congrats on more competition, especially when trying to compete with arguably the strongest DO school in the nation. Like you said, Texas is DO friendly because of their DO school, which has been around and consistently had students that out performed their MD counterparts. If you expect UIW to fill those same shoes, you're highly mistaken. Arkansas is DO friendly as well, but the reason is because they need physicians and are open to competent applicants (MD and DO). But now the state has a school within its borders to pick from. Beautiful situation.

4) Yes, ARCOM also has an agreement with the local university to have access to grants/facilities that they may need.

You like UIW and that's great. But you're talking about a school in a state flooded with top caliber students and acting like some brand new DO school there stands a chance at much of anything when matched up against any of those schools. You're going to have multiple applicants from 11 other instate schools put in front of your app at every residency/research spot in the state. It will be a good school, but it's far from deserving any special treatment because it's in a big city. It will have a lot to prove before it gains any real traction in a state already stacked with strong DO and MD students.

Fwiw, big cities are great for medical students until the area is flooded by students and schools of a higher caliber. Which, to me, is this exact situation.

Getting off topic though.. OP go wherever you felt more comfortable! Both schools will obviously have good opportunities even though they're new schools. Both schools will end up being decently strong schools. And again, if UIW doesn't have mandatory lecture/dress code, go there and don't look back!

Reactions: 2 users
1) So, you're going to be the ugly step child compared to those other 11 schools? Jk jk

(but seriously....)

2)ARCOM is the only DO school the state of Arkansas completely supports and is massively expanding residency positions for. They are also sharing rotations with the only MD school in the state at all major hospitals in the state with the exception of UAMS' own hospital. Many of these will be ward based rotations shared with the state MD counterparts. Again, your argument is continually matched by this school in Arkansas.

3) The bigger city is great, I 100% agree. But you're arguing that Texas has more residency spots/opportunities because it has more medical schools. What's impressive about that? Congrats on more competition, especially when trying to compete with arguably the strongest DO school in the nation. Like you said, Texas is DO friendly because of their DO school, which has been around and consistently had students that out performed their MD counterparts. If you expect UIW to fill those same shoes, you're highly mistaken. Arkansas is DO friendly as well, but the reason is because they need physicians and are open to competent applicants (MD and DO). But now the state has a school within its borders to pick from. Beautiful situation.

4) Yes, ARCOM also has an agreement with the local university to have access to grants/facilities that they may need.

You like UIW and that's great. But you're talking about a school in a state flooded with top caliber students and acting like some brand new DO school there stands a chance at much of anything when matched up against any of those schools. You're going to have multiple applicants from 11 other instate schools put in front of your app at every residency/research spot in the state. It will be a good school, but it's far from deserving any special treatment because it's in a big city. It will have a lot to prove before it gains any real traction in a state already stacked with strong DO and MD students.

Fwiw, big cities are great for medical students until the area is flooded by students and schools of a higher caliber. Which, to me, is this exact situation.

Your argument would be totally right except for one caveat.... we're talking about Texas here.

What do I mean by that? This: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/6238.pdf?CFID=52298929&CFTOKEN=92035382

Texas as a state is investing millions of their own taxpayer dollars for medical residencies. It is a very unique scenario that I haven't seen in any other state. They have created an agenda which states that by 2020, there will be 1.1 residency slots for every 1 Texas medical student INCLUDING the 150 students from UIW. (as listed on pg. 14 of this PDF) Not only that, but since the STATE of Texas is funding these additional slots, all of the programs have a duty to actively recruit Texas medical graduates first before considering other applicants. Now, I do agree with you that if someone wants to specialize to not go this route because a majority of the slots being made are primary care, but yes there will in fact be more residency slots than there are medical students. Even if UIW students are put at the bottom of the barrel, they will still get matched into great programs.

Check this out: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/7403.PDF?CFID=52298929&CFTOKEN=92035382

This is a list of additional residency slots being created at these campuses. ADDITIONAL. So if every Texas medical student is currently being placed in the ones available, look at all of the new ones still being made and who's going to fill them? BTW UIW's residencies are being partially funded here as well: I.E. Baptist Health System and Laredo.

But on another note, I'm actually surprised ArCOM is doing as good as you say too. I know Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas are awesome in the respect that they don't care about being competitive on a national scale (except for UTSW and Baylor in Texas), so they each do have in-state preferences for their own students and that's a huge plus. But I still say UIW because of sheer numbers there are more spots, and by that again I do mean AFTER all the in-state MD students (and TCOM) match.

Reactions: 2 users
Either way, UIW, ArCOM, and BCOM will be screwing over DO schools in other states who counted on UAMS, UNM, and the Texas MD programs to take some of their students in for residencies. That's for sure.

Seems as if no one is on the same page there. Mandy and Patricia told me it would be 8-5 everyday at least the first 16 weeks through the anatomy block. But they both also told me different things as far as the dress code. Perks of a new school I guess!

Guess they're still working things out! I guess we'll know soon enough.

Your argument would be totally right except for one caveat.... we're talking about Texas here.

What do I mean by that? This: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/6238.pdf?CFID=52298929&CFTOKEN=92035382

Texas as a state is investing millions of their own taxpayer dollars for medical residencies. It is a very unique scenario that I haven't seen in any other state. They have created an agenda which states that by 2020, there will be 1.1 residency slots for every 1 Texas medical student INCLUDING the 150 students from UIW. (as listed on pg. 14 of this PDF) Not only that, but since the STATE of Texas is funding these additional slots, all of the programs have a duty to actively recruit Texas medical graduates first before considering other applicants. Now, I do agree with you that if someone wants to specialize to not go this route because a majority of the slots being made are primary care, but yes there will in fact be more residency slots than there are medical students. Even if UIW students are put at the bottom of the barrel, they will still get matched into great programs.

Check this out: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/7403.PDF?CFID=52298929&CFTOKEN=92035382

This is a list of additional residency slots being created at these campuses. ADDITIONAL. So if every Texas medical student is currently being placed in the ones available, look at all of the new ones still being made and who's going to fill them? BTW UIW's residencies are being partially funded here as well: I.E. Baptist Health System and Laredo.

But on another note, I'm actually surprised ArCOM is doing as good as you say too. I know Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas are awesome in the respect that they don't care about being competitive on a national scale (except for UTSW and Baylor in Texas), so they each do have in-state preferences for their own students and that's a huge plus. But I still say UIW because of sheer numbers there are more spots, and by that again I do mean AFTER all the in-state MD students (and TCOM) match.
It's incredibly motivating to see schools open up AFTER a plan for the success of their future graduates has been made. Wish more of these other schools would have done the same! That's awesome info on UIW though btw. All of this should/could be a standard by COCA before a school can be moved forward to recruit students.

Guess they're still working things out! I guess we'll know soon enough.
What you said would make way more sense though, so I'm sure you're right! I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how we could be in class 8-5 everyday and not run out of material to cover haha

It's incredibly motivating to see schools open up AFTER a plan for the success of their future graduates has been made. Wish more of these other schools would have done the same! That's awesome info on UIW though btw. All of this should/could be a standard by COCA before a school can be moved forward to recruit students.

Haha so actually it wasn't UIW's plan... it was the state of Texas. UIW got lucky because Texas had a huge residency shortage just a few years ago, and they set up a plan to expand residencies like crazy and UIW just fell in with the plans. (And by fell in, I mean fought very aggressively to be a part of it, loll.)

What you said would make way more sense though, so I'm sure you're right! I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how we could be in class 8-5 everyday and not run out of material to cover haha
Or, you know.....have time to study.........

I know I was stressing a bit when I heard that at the interview. Burn out would be a very real thing.

Or, you know.....have time to study.........

I know I was stressing a bit when I heard that at the interview. Burn out would be a very real thing.
Haha, no doubt! They also said they would have a strict 125 subsection cutoff before the app cycle started, but they learned pretty quickly that wasn't going to work. I'm hoping for the same on this policy too!

Haha, no doubt! They also said they would have a strict 125 subsection cutoff before the app cycle started, but they learned pretty quickly that wasn't going to work. I'm hoping for the same on this policy too!
Class from 8-5, study from 6-10? No time for hobbies/relaxing? That's rough!

Also making the choice between these two. I have read this thread I am wondering if anyone can comment especially since both schools are up and rolling with their inaugural classes.