2022-2023 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah the campus is great honestly. I also was reluctant to go but ended up being very surprised with how nice it was. I was disappointed when I was informed that I need to complete a master’s after my interview though. It leads me to believe I had no chance regardless of how my interview went. And I believe it went really well.
Did they explain why you needed a master's?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice! I was just wondering, do you think your med school experience was made a lot more stressful since ARCOM isn’t P/F?
People definitely compare grades and assign worth to your grades, if that's what you mean. But if you don't tell people your grades it really doesn't matter. I'd prefer pass fail, but you're ranked either way so things don't change much. I'm more of the mindset now to just study because I'm taking a board exam in a year. But I'd be lying if I said I don't care what other people think about my grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have interviewed, is it just one-on-one, or is there an interview part that is MMI?

Does anyone know about how many people ARCOM typically puts on their waitlist?

Like this if you are currently on the waitlist (I am also). trying to get a low ball number of how many there are

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I Don’t mean to damper but honestly waitlist movement here typically doesn’t happen until at the earliest the end of April. But when it starts it happens really quickly. They started movement last year around the first of may and then I heard back and was offered a spot middle of may.
When did you interview last cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
At least one person was accepted last year the day before school started just so you guys know lol. One of my buddies stayed in an Air B n B for a few weeks while he was trying to find housing because he was accepted a week before. I'm not even kidding.

Oh and by the way there are tornados here and frequent thunderstorms. If you live off campus and don't want your car totaled you better have covered parking at home or your car is f****** secondary to hail. One of our professors had his luxury car totaled during fall semester because he was at a friend's when it came outta nowhere. It's a thing I promise. I had to leave campus twice over the last few weeks because of hail warnings. It happens pretty regularly too. And I slept through a tornado siren one time meaning it was in the near area. So yeah if you don't want to die make sure you have some kind of safety system idk. One of our lecture halls doubles as a shelter though which is cool I guess.

At least one person was accepted last year the day before school started just so you guys know lol. One of my buddies stayed in an Air B n B for a few weeks while he was trying to find housing because he was accepted a week before. I'm not even kidding.

Oh and by the way there are tornados here and frequent thunderstorms. If you live off campus and don't want your car totaled you better have covered parking at home or your car is f****** secondary to hail. One of our professors had his luxury car totaled during fall semester because he was at a friend's when it came outta nowhere. It's a thing I promise. I had to leave campus twice over the last few weeks because of hail warnings. It happens pretty regularly too. And I slept through a tornado siren one time meaning it was in the near area. So yeah if you don't want to die make sure you have some kind of safety system idk. One of our lecture halls doubles as a shelter though which is cool I guess.

Hasn’t there not been a tornado in Fort Smith since the 90s? I did see the hail storm though. Those things were the size of golf balls.

But the on campus apartments offer covered parking right 😅

I got off of the WL two weeks ago. Not sure if anyone else has these past few weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, they are one of those schools that require you to drop everything, spend big bucks, travel there, interview in person. No virtual option offered.
They offer virtual if you request it.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know about how many people ARCOM typically puts on th

I really appreciate it when schools are upfront and honest about whether you're interviewing for an open seat or waitlist. I wish all schools would do that.
Most schools are interviewing for waitlist by January or February. However, most also have significant waitlist movement in March and April, so those who interview late should never get too worried about totals. That movement continues on through the summer. At worst, you have now gone through the process and you are ready to resubmit EARLY the next application cycle. The year "lost" sucks, sure, but it doesn't look as bad when you look back on your career and realize you only practiced 33 instead of 34 years. Keep working, you can get there!

Hasn’t there not been a tornado in Fort Smith since the 90s? I did see the hail storm though. Those things were the size of golf balls.
There is usually a tornado every year in Fort Smith, but we have not had a devastating one with casualties in a long time. Since this area is prone to tornados there are shelters at all elementary schools that are open to the public. A few years ago there was a tornado that took off the roof of one of the medical buildings. They can be scary due to the uncertainty but the chances of a devastating event like Joplin is low. ( I have had two cars in the past 4 years totaled due to hail)

Does anyone know if they are done with interviews? Hoping that if they are there will be some WL movement soon

Has anyone seen a financial aid package from ARCOM yet? If so, where?
Nope. I emailed them last week and they said

"Unfortunately the 2023/2024 Cost of Attendance is still being reviewed and in the approval process. Once it has been approved and published on [acheedu.org]acheedu.org, we will begin reviewing 2023/2024 FAFSAs. I believe this will be soon, but I do not have a estimated time as of yet."

Nope. I emailed them last week and they said

"Unfortunately the 2023/2024 Cost of Attendance is still being reviewed and in the approval process. Once it has been approved and published on [acheedu.org]acheedu.org, we will begin reviewing 2023/2024 FAFSAs. I believe this will be soon, but I do not have a estimated time as of yet."

Thank you for your reply! I called today but they are out until Monday

For those that went to ARCOM, what rotation sites are popular?
For someone that is interested in Neuro, where would you go and do that rotation in Arkansas.

For those that went to ARCOM, what rotation sites are popular?
For someone that is interested in Neuro, where would you go and do that rotation in Arkansas.
For Neuro, I would try to stick to the bigger cities where you can actually find a neurologist to rotate with. Because a formal Neuro rotation is not required for most DO schools including ARCOM, you can use your electives to set your own neuro rotations before actually going out for auditions in early 4th year. I was in Little Rock and was able to get some good experience there. NWA and Shreveport would be reasonable too I would think, although I’m not too familiar with those sites.

Edit: Also good to note that the only Neuro residency in Arkansas is in Little Rock (UAMS). If you wanna rotate there for an audition, it may be easier if your core is in Little Rock. There’s also more volume and more opportunities in general being in a metropolitan area even though LR is not really that big (but that’s as big as it gets in AR).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For Neuro, I would try to stick to the bigger cities where you can actually find a neurologist to rotate with. Because a formal Neuro rotation is not required for most DO schools including ARCOM, you can use your electives to set your own neuro rotations before actually going out for auditions in early 4th year. I was in Little Rock and was able to get some good experience there. NWA and Shreveport would be reasonable too I would think, although I’m not too familiar with those sites.

Edit: Also good to note that the only Neuro residency in Arkansas is in Little Rock (UAMS). If you wanna rotate there for an audition, it may be easier if your core is in Little Rock. There’s also more volume and more opportunities in general being in a metropolitan area even though LR is not really that big (but that’s as big as it gets in AR).

Thanks. I did see that when looking though Neurology programs. I would love to get back to the west coast when I’m done with school so we will see if that works out for me.

I am interested in living in the NWA region as well after my didactic years. I will look in both Little Rock and NWA. My SO will also be looking for a job in the healthcare field so anywhere where there are hospitals/health care centers will be ideal.

Does anyone know the date that students have to make a final decision for ARCOM?

Just turned down my acceptance, hope this seat goes to one of y’all! Love this school.

Reactions: 4 users
I got accepted yesterday, and I was on the waitlist. So the waitlist is moving!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations... and thanks for sharing the info. In general there does not seems to be a lot of movement on the waitlist.
I just want to know how many people are on the waitlist. I mean it has to be at least 10 from a previous post on this thread, but like how many of us are there haha? I'm trying to be real about my chances of getting off the waitlist. I got an email today about applying to the MSB program, did anyone else?

Reactions: 3 users